• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo absent from Tokyo Game Show this year

mCACGj

oldskool said:
Nintendo has a Pokemon show coming up where they will debut the DS version. Maybe they will expand upon it and include some Revolution info.

Who said this? Link?

Zeo

Banned
I'm with sp0rsk. Putting the focus on themselves is a pretty good idea.

Besides, the big Revolution thing will be in August/September, most likely, so whatever.

oldskool

Pokemon Festa will take place on the 17th of this month. Although Nintendo hasn't stated that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will be revealed at this event, with an expected November release in Japan, it is likely that something will be shown. Does anyone know if previous Pokemon Festa events showcased other Nintendo non-pokemon games?

Odysseus

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I just think it's odd that they spend so much money on E3 which is held in a losing territory for them but that they don't spend a dime in Japan where they still have a shot.

Just because they're not in third place in Japan doesn't mean that Nintendo is any better off there than anywhere else. All you have to do to understand an E3 presence but not TGS is to look at Nintendo's financials. Heck, just skip to the very last page.

Code:
(Units sold for FY 2005 - Numbers in 10000s)
Region	GBA HW	NDS HW	GCN HW	GBA SW	NDS SW	GCN SW
Japan	234	212	34	1554	382	509
Americas	856	219	261	5077	475	3318
Other	449	95	98	1826	192	1015
Total	1539	526	393	8457	1049	4842

% Japan	15.20%	40.30%	8.65%	18.38%	36.42%	10.51%
% Amer	55.62%	41.63%	66.41%	60.03%	45.28%	68.53%
% Other	29.17%	18.06%	24.94%	21.59%	18.30%	20.96%

I'm not saying it's OK to skip TGS, but it certainly makes far more sense to miss that show than to miss any show in the US or Europe.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Zeo said:
I'm with sp0rsk. Putting the focus on themselves is a pretty good idea.

Besides, the big Revolution thing will be in August/September, most likely, so whatever.
wouldn't surprise me if they didn't say much about REV till december actually, then save the big playable coming out party for next E3

Belfast

Flo_Evans said:
It's amazing to me how nintendo can continue to make seemingly irrational bussiness desicions, yet still rake in billions of yen....

They're just in tune with the ignorance of consumers!

Jeff-DSA said:
I just think it's odd that they spend so much money on E3 which is held in a losing territory for them but that they don't spend a dime in Japan where they still have a shot.
The fact that percentage-wise they're easily in third in North America doesn't change the fact that it's still their most successful territory, and more importantly doesn't change the fact that E3 is the gaming show to be at.

JoshuaJSlone said:
and more importantly doesn't change the fact that E3 is the gaming show to be at.

But I thought Nintendo wanted to be different? Being at E3 means they're *gasp* competing with Microsoft and Sony. It's such BS, it's like me trying to become a world class Athlete and not doing something like going to the Olympics saying "Oh, well, even though I'm an Athlete, I don't want to compete with those ones"

That was a weaksauce ban.

Anyways how can skipping a tradeshow ever be a good thing? Nintendo becomes less and less of factor in gamers eyes. What exactly is there to get excited about in Nintendo Console World these days anyways? Are we forced to just wait for Zelda and then thats it?

Nintendo needs to Show some next gen stuff soon.

Synbios459 said:
But I thought Nintendo wanted to be different? Being at E3 means they're *gasp* competing with Microsoft and Sony. It's such BS, it's like me trying to become a world class Athlete and not doing something like going to the Olympics saying "Oh, well, even though I'm an Athlete, I don't want to compete with those ones"
Jesus. Having a big presence at the world's biggest gaming convention somehow overrides the way their actual hardware and software is different? Perhaps they shouldn't have television commercials or use electricity, either, that would make them too similar.

Top Bottom