• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is just now entering beast mode.

Lupin25

they dont need to counter, they just need to show something! Good thing is that both MS and nintendo had good shows, so this should force sony to show more games.

It wonā€™t. Everything shown from Xb & Nintendo isnā€™t pushing the envelope for 2024. Xbox 1st party was centered around 2025/2026. Nintendo the same with MP4 on NSW still.

nial

Gold Member
nial nial Look! More Mario games! šŸ˜ƒ
>tfw 6 releases in the Mario franchise in 2024 alone
Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

RoboFu

One of the green rats
More than likely we will get / announce a great Metroid, Zelda, and Mario game next year along with the switch 2 in Q4.

Super excited for sure.

Shut0wen

Assuming the Switch 2 has BC (which it almost certainly will), I'm happy that DKCR is getting a rerelease. The Wii version sucks nuts because of the forced waggle, and the 3DS version is, well, a 3DS version. I'm pretty happy to add DKCR to my digital Switch collection so I can properly play it on my TV for eternity.
3ds version and wii version are both fine and playable, they added nothing new its literally the 3ds game upscaled which is ashame because the wii version is 10x better because the 3ds version camera is far to close to donkey kong

Sojiro

Don't get me wrong, I liked what was there today, and it gave me a good bit to do on the switch this year, but it was pretty much what I expected, lots of remakes/ports and smaller scaled Nintendo projects (although Zelda was a big surprise). I feel that is fine, the switch is in its twilight years and anyone expecting "big" titles with the successor coming next year was setting themselves up for disappointment. This wasn't like an amazing direct, but a good one with a lot of software for the switch to go out on, you missed out on Nintendo's beast mode a few years back when the Switch was still in its mid life.

Last edited:

Itchy Tickles

Gold Member
Nintendo in beast mode? Remakes / remasters / ports and probably at higher prices. Releasing another fucking themed Switch Lite so fans and collectors can be exploited to pay about 180 for hardware not worth scraps at this point, instead of buying some stickers or something (obviously an exaggeration, but feels like every few months they release a Switch with a new outer shell.) Oh damn, more GBA and N64 roms for their overpriced weak ass service? I'm sorry for my criticism.

Honestly, I do enjoy seeing people being excited about gaming, especially these days. Just wish Nintendo stopped getting free passes and over praise for little effort. Maybe by the Switch 2, Nintendo will allow all Bluetooth controllers to work without a dongle or have voice chat built in or an Internet service that feels a bit more advanced than those toasters burning the weather onto bread.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If this is beast mode, it's probably the first time since the beginning of the Wii era that I've felt myself out of step entirely with the Nintendo fanbase. This was a lame duck year showcase before Switch 2 gets announced. The highlights are basically slightly souped up 3DS games: Zelda and Mario & Luigi. Metroid Prime is a revered series, but this trailer showed almost nothing. Tons of shovelware in the showcase, tons of remakes and old ports. Backwards compatible games are announced exclusive to a subscription with no ability to buy them, like Zero Mission which I was able to buy on Wii U to actually own. Donkey Kong Returns is the 2nd remake of that game, so it's on par with The Last of Us now.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I want Nintendo to enter beast mode, but they're not there yet. I suppose if you consider just accepting any of their exclusives, I could see that as being exciting. But I don't think Mario & Luigi or Mario Party is blowing a ton of people's minds, nor is a Donkey Kong 3DS remaster. The new Zelda game and Metroid Prime 4 were the heaviest of hitters, I felt. But there are a lot of people that don't really care for the new 2D Zelda games, or the first person/Metroid Prime series. I'd imagine they have much more coming in the future, but I personally feel like we've seen more hype directs over this one.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

But there are a lot of people that don't really care for the new 2D Zelda games...

I mean... not to fucking use a wand to stack a bunch of beds on top of each other or whatever? What a stupid looking game.

The Prime series has also never clicked with me personally, I tried with the original and couldn't get into it. It struck me as being sub-optimal twice over, as an FPS game and also as a Metroid game. Would be 10x more interested in a Dread sequel, but I know the series is beloved and I'm in the minority there.

That said even if I loved the series, there's no reason to be excited by that trailer... doesn't look great visually, very short, showed nothing interesting or new, and a vague "2025" date? Double yawn IMO.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member
I'm very excited to see what games the New Switch will get and how powerful it will be. Third-party games like Snowrunner have been very rough to play on Switch, so I hope it's really beefed up. Well as much as a portable console can be considering battery drainage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Listen, enjoy the sales of the system but to define this is beast mode, you and I have a different interpretation of that. I am glad for all the multiplayer releases but everything else just caters to the Nintendo fan base which isn't all of us. I'm looking at a lot of the same types of games and some reasonable stuff but don't drink the Kool-Aid too much. Imagine when they actually announced better stuff and it's successor to the switch versus an okay show. That's why you don't inflate the okay shows and overwrite the good ones.

Anything I cared about is multiplatform just like the Sony or the Xbox show

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nintendo put a killer show, microsoft...a great show...sony, the market leader, lol no.
Remember when Sony's shows overshadowed the competition, funny how times change.
But profits

Zannegan

Gold Member
Hardly beast mode, but it was a better showcase than I expected given that they're launching a new system next year. The last years of Wii (and Wii U?) were dry, dry, dry.

There were quite a few games I want to play in there though, inclyding the new 2D Zelda. I like that they turned it into a more puzzly game because her trait is wisdom. Weirdly, it kind of made me think of Pushmo while also making me think.of a 2D BotW.

I just hope they find a way to make scrolling through the clonable objects less of a chore.

nowhat

Gold Member
Remember when Sony's shows overshadowed the competition, funny how times change.
But profits
But have we seen the Sony showcase yet? We've had a "State of Play" which is mostly third-party. According to the rumors, there should be more coming up.

Zannegan

Gold Member
But have we seen the Sony showcase yet? We've had a "State of Play" which is mostly third-party. According to the rumors, there should be more coming up.
I thought that was it until September? Maybe I'm not up on the latest rumors though.

nowhat

Gold Member
I thought that was it until September? Maybe I'm not up on the latest rumors though.
It may very well be. But as E3 is dead, I think we might also consider that a certain window for upcoming releases is less relevant.

(for the record, the SoP pretty much sucked ass apart from Astro, no argument there)

Last edited:

iHaunter

Iā€™m probably there day 1 for switch 2, but iā€™m enjoying my switch more than ever right now and there were a lot of games today that appealed to me.

Like dq1-3, dkc, zeldaā€¦

Content on switch has been firing on all cylinders just these past 2 years where the quantity feels like itā€™d hitting the levels of where it should be for a combined portable+home console strategy.

I just got a Switch Lite used in very nice condition for ā‚¬80, and itā€™s ultra nice in fairness. Being able to play all these games natively on a portable that tiny is still ludicrous to me. Why do we need a switch 2 exactly? Better gwaphics?
That's 3 games. With years of nothing.

Zannegan

Gold Member
It may very well be. But as E3 is dead, I think we might also consider that a certain window for upcoming releases is less relevant.

(for the record, the SoP pretty much sucked ass apart from Astro, no argument there)
Man, Astro looked good.

I wish E3 wasn't dead though. I loved it when all the big corpos were forced to come out swinging in the same week to compete. The great shows were great, and the fails were absolutely spectacular.

Last edited:

simpatico

Nintendo fans feasted this gen for sure. They seem to have the formula figured out. The release cadence is great too. We're out there waiting 8 years for our favorite studio to release an absolutely soul crushing game and Nintendo & Co are shitting out actual good ones every 2-3 years.

Hudo

Gold Member
I dunno if I'd say they've entered "beast mode", I think they will save that for Switch 2. But they at least keep up with Microsoft pretty well (took Microsoft long enough to have a decent showing).

Sony on the other hand is just a sad sight since the PS5 was first introduced.

nial

Gold Member
Nintendo fans feasted this gen for sure. They seem to have the formula figured out. The release cadence is great too. We're out there waiting 8 years for our favorite studio to release an absolutely soul crushing game and Nintendo & Co are shitting out actual good ones every 2-3 years.
We've been waiting 10 years for a new Retro Studios game.

Top Bottom