• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

Marvel14

Banned
Switch is not in the same category as PS and Xbox just because you can hook it up to a TV lol. Just like how an ipad isn't a laptop just because they work with keyboards.
Answer these 4 questions pretty please
1. Why doesn't Nintendo put its IP on Xbox and Playstation? They're not the competition so they're stupidly leaving money on the table. It's almost as if doing so would eat into their hardware business...

2. If mobile phones are the main hardware competition for the Switch, why are there several Nintendo IPs with their own unique games not available on Switch exclusively on mobile? Why don't these erode Switch hardware sales?

3. In what way is a docked switch with the joycon controller accessory different to a home console for the gaming consumer? If you answer "power" then the Wii was not a home console either. If you answer "it uses the same innards as mobile phones" then how does that negate it being a home console? If you answer "because it has a handheld form factor" then explain why a phone stops being a phone if it can also take pictures. Why does one form factor negate the other? Whatever you answer it will have nothing to do with a gamer's experience as a consumer of the hardware.

4. Why does the Switch have games you can't play in handheld mode or on the Switch-lite if it doesn't qualify as a home console?

Last edited:
Answer these 4 questions pretty

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

3a. Switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox because it has a built in screen which indicates its primary use case is mobile.

3b. Who the hell thinks a cellphone isn't a phone just because it has a camera lol?

4. I'm guessing theres some sort of hardware those games need that the switch lite is missing because nintendo wanted to cut costs.

Rykan

3a. Switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox because it has a built in screen which indicates its primary use case is mobile.
No it doesn't, why does this crappy argument keep being used? It has a screen because it is a hybrid console that you can take with you on the go.

The system has a not insigificant amount of games that cannot be played in handheld mode and most of them are published by Nintendo themselves.
The Switch has been advertised as a home console that you can bring with you on the go from day 1. It is quite literally in the very first announcement trailer they've shown.

The very first footage of Switch is that of the console being used as a home console.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

3b. Who the hell thinks a cellphone isn't a phone just because it has a camera lol?

4. I'm guessing theres some sort of hardware those games need that the switch lite is missing because nintendo wanted to cut costs.
He changes goal posts with his irrelevant points/questions, hence me laughing at the 🤡

Mozza

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

Why do you assume it's primary use is in handheld mode, what will you suggest next, it's not even a console. ;)

Ozzie666

Didn't PS Vita have TV out or was that the PSP?.
Is the Playstation TV a console or a Vita in disguise? it plays all the same software, except for what is on the white list.

Don't fall for the marketing magic, the Switch is a hybrid system, but it's more handheld than home console. I think the built in screen pushes it in that direction, amongst other things. But I really don't care what people think, if the Switch outsells the competition, you can try to rationalize it or debunk it. But it won't change the truth, that the Switch is a Juggernaut and gaming system records are going to fall, even the king, PS2. Justified or not, the marketing will make sure it sticks a solid landing.

North Americans use it more as a traditional console, Japanese use it more as a mobile handheld device. Not sure about Europeans. Nintendo is playing 4D chess.

We all need to get used to the fact it's not about the physical boxes, but about the 3 big brands and how they get there.

Mozza

I cant believe you guys still arguing about this! You can call it whatever you want if that makes you guys feel better it but it doesn't change the fact Switch selling great, I dont see how is that a bad thing.
This whole issue of handheld vs home console argument is just so sad, they are all consoles at the end of the day and will therefore have their sales totals compared, the Switch lite is a handheld console, but sells a lot less than the OLED and regular model Switch, which is hybrid and therefore is effectively a handheld and home console as it can be used either way, so to claim it's one way or another is wrong, as it's both.

But of course all this suggestion by some is a ludicrous attempt to Downplay the Switch consoles amazing sales success, and it's just another in a myriad of excuses as to why Nintendo have done so well with the console, it's got no real competition, the Pandemic, and Nintendo fans an the masses will buy anything (Not the Wii U of course), just excuse after excuse and constant goalpost moving. The main reason for this is it does not sit well with power and frame rate obsessed internet posting minorities, that a lower powered console is actually tracking better in sales than their favorite powerful machines, and as they fail to see any appeal in the console themselves they do not understand it, and it was very evident from the "Betting time do you think the Nintendo Switch will be a success" thread on here that some were missing the whole point of the system, and of course over time as they have been proved wrong at every sales milestone they have got more and more defensive about it, so Now in January the Switch has not been the best selling hardware, of course a lot of this was down to Nintendo selling far to many units over Christmas and the holiday season, but pretty sure the naysayers will see this as the beginning of the end.

This is probably the reason why the Wii U is loved so much on various forums, as in reality the concept is very similar to the Switch, and the console just like the Switch was also pretty low powered compared to both the base PS4 and Xbox One, main difference however is the Wii U did not sell very well and knew it's place, and of course this was also proof to the power obsessives that raw power does indeed sell video game consoles, ;)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This whole issue of handheld vs home console is just so sad, they are all consoles at the end of the day and will therefore have their sales totals compared, the Switch lite is a handheld console, but sells a lot less than the OLED and regular model Switch, which is hybrid and therefore is effectively a handheld and home console as it can be used either way, so to claim it's one way or another is wrong, as it's both.

But of course all this suggestion by some is a ludicrous attempt to Downplay the Switch consoles amazing sales success, and it's just another in a myriad of excuses as to why Nintendo have done so well with the console, it's got no real competition, the Pandemic, and Nintendo fans an the masses will buy anything (Not the Wii U of course), just excuse after excuse and constant goalpost moving. The main reason for this is it does not sit well with power and frame rate obsessed internet posting minorities. that a lower powered console is actually tracking better in sales than their favorite powerful machines, and as they fail to see any appeal in the console themselves they do not understand it, and it was very evident from the "Betting time do you think the Nintendo Switch will be a success" thread on here that some were missing the whole point of the system, and of course over time as they have been proved wrong at every sales milestone they have f=got more defensive about it, so Now in January the Switch has not been the best selling hardware, f course a lot of this was down to Nintendo selling far to many units over Christmas and the holiday season, but pretty sure the naysayers will see this as the beginning of the end.

This is probably the reason why the Wii U is loved so much on various forums, as in reality the concept is very similar to the Switch, and the console just like the Switch was also pretty low powered compared to both the base PS4 and Xbox One, main difference however is the Wii U did not sell very well and knew it's place, and was also proof to the power obsessives that power does indeed sell video game consoles, ;)
I treat my Switch same way I treat my PS5, they both gaming systems and I bought them because both have games I want to play, its that simple.

People can argue with each other about it until grass grows out of their ass, but in end it doesn’t make zero difference.

Mozza

I treat my Switch same way I treat my PS5, they both gaming systems and I bought them because both have games I want to play, its that simple.

People can argue with each other about it until grass grows out of their ass, but in end it doesn’t make zero difference.
Same here, I use my Series X for certain games, and My Switch because I love Nintendo as well, and to be honest it's an awesome combination of owning one of both of the power consoles, and the Switch as a great change of pace and totally a different type of entertainment.

Nothing like playing a few hours on Resident Evil then popping over to my Island on Animal crossing, such an awesome time to be a video game fan. :)

Chastten

Banned
With the Switch being relevant for at the very least 2 more years (MK8 DLC pretty much confirmed this) I can see the Switch eventually overtaking the NDS and PS2 in 2024. I wouldn't bet money on it yet, cause a lot can happen before that, but it would be great.

I'm already looking forward to the 'Nintendo Switch fastest selling piece of gaming hardware ever' topics and the meltdowns that are inevetiably gonna happen.

"It's not gaming hardware cause it only has kid-friendly casual games and those don't count!!!111!"

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

I've translated your post for you so that others can get it's true meaning:

1. I don't have an answer

2. I don't know what to say

3a. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Switch's home console functionality. In order for my argument to work I am ignoring the name and USP of the device, otherwise I'm screwed.

3b. Just because I can dismiss a device's core function by pretending another of its functions negates its existence, it doesn't mean you can too, especially when it's a device that hasn't pissed me off with its sales success and when it obviously undermines my entire argument.

4. I haven't thought enough about this to have a cogent thought to add.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the depth of the "it's just a handheld " argumentation in a nutshell.

Case closed I think.

Does Neogaf have a museum? We should preserve these posts for prosperity. They're bloody hilarious.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I cant believe you guys still arguing about this! You can call it whatever you want if that makes you guys feel better it but it doesn't change the fact Switch selling great, I dont see how is that a bad thing.
It's partly my fault...I am having too much fun..

They're the flat earthers of console warriors. I'll stop if others are getting tired but honestly it's like playing an addictive videogame for me.

Marvel14

Banned
He changes goal posts with his irrelevant points/questions, hence me laughing at the 🤡
Fixed your post as well for the audience:

"HE asks questions I can't answer so I try to dismiss them and laugh. Deep inside I'm crying."

S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE after trying to convince Switch owners for the umpteenth time that their console is not what they say it is:

The Joker Smile GIF by Regal

Last edited:
1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

I've translated your post for you so that others can get it's true meaning:

And that ladies and gentlemen is the depth of the "it's just a handheld " argumentation in a nutshell.

Case closed I think.

Does Neogaf have a museum? We should preserve these posts for prosperity. They're bloody hilarious.

First of all, I didnt answer your first two questions because they are completely irrelevant to my statement: "switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox."

Second, of course I dont acknowledge its home console functionality because it's not a home console. It's a mobile gaming device that can display on a TV.

Third, I didnt dismiss the core functionality of switch. It's core functionality is a mobile gaming device. It's a mobile gaming device because it has a portable form factor, a built in screen and can self power using a battery. Every single mobile gaming device has had those same 3 features. Every single laptop, tablet and smartphone has those 3 same features and they are all mobile devices.

Finally, youre right, I didnt have anything really about that because I dont know much about switch other than its a mobile gaming device.

Woopah

First of all, I didnt answer your first two questions because they are completely irrelevant to my statement: "switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox."

Second, of course I dont acknowledge its home console functionality because it's not a home console. It's a mobile gaming device that can display on a TV.

Third, I didnt dismiss the core functionality of switch. It's core functionality is a mobile gaming device. It's a mobile gaming device because it has a portable form factor, a built in screen and can self power using a battery. Every single mobile gaming device has had those same 3 features. Every single laptop, tablet and smartphone has those 3 same features and they are all mobile devices.

Finally, youre right, I didnt have anything really about that because I dont know much about switch other than its a mobile gaming device.
The difference between "handheld" and "home console" is not that important. Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series are all dedicated video game devices, as classified by official market trackers such as Famitsu, Media Create and GfK.

Marvel14

Banned

A TL : DR Summary of this discussion:

You: Switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox.

Me: Here's lots of evidence that PS and Xbox are the Switch's main competition.

You: That's irrelevant.

Me: If they are competing they are in the same category for all intents and purposes.

You:
Joey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You: That's impossible. It's not a home console

Me: when docked and using a pro controller (or joycon "home console activator") how is it different from a home console from the gamer's perspective?

You: it's got a mobile chipset.

Me: that doesn't affect the gamer's home console experience.

You: it's less powerful

Me: that doesn't affect it being a home console (see Wii and Wii U).

You:it's got a built in screen and a battery and you can play it on the go.
Me:that doesn't affect the gamer's home console experience.

Me: you're not answering the question

You: your question is irrelevant
Translation:
the lord of the rings no GIF

Me:
Head In Hands GIF by Australian Survivor

Me:Some games can only be played in home console mode and don't work natively with the Switch-lite (ie in its handheld form factor).

You:I don't know anything about that. All I know is what I believe. And what I believe is right.

Me:
Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Next time someone says the Switch is not a home console refer them to this post. It will save lots of time and effort.

Last edited:

Impotaku

As the last wisps of copium dissipate from the final tank been passed around the mist clears and the harsh reality is still in front of them. The evil Nintendo with a cosole of a fraction of the power is mopping up all the sales in this supposed next gen.

The latest direct shows that they are keeping the games coming which is why the thing is selling.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
As the last wisps of copium dissipate from the final tank been passed around the mist clears and the harsh reality is still in front of them. The evil Nintendo with a cosole of a fraction of the power is mopping up all the sales in this supposed next gen.

The latest direct shows that they are keeping the games coming which is why the thing is selling.
You guys are getting way too cocky. Look at the last NPD sales. Look at SteamDeck.

Switch sales could fall off a cliff at any moment like Wii.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
PS5 and Series are hitting their stride. SteamDeck is near. Competition is heating up so the time may very well be near for Switch to have it's Wii moment.
Steam Deck is extremely niche. Extremely. Not a threat to anyone.

Ps5 and series hitting their stride, sure. But they're both severely limited in supply.

Switch continues to have huge games release that will keep its momentum going. Kirby will be huge. Xenoblade 3 will be huge. Splatoon 3 will be huge.

Botw2 and metroid prime 4 likely to release next year and will be huge. A new Mario can't be too far away and that'll be huge.

Switch sales dropping off a cliff? Not anytime soon!

A TL : DR Summary of this discussion:

You: Switch is not in the same category as PS and xbox.

Me: Here's lots of evidence that PS and Xbox are the Switch's main competition.

Me: If they are competing they are in the same category for all intents and purposes.

You:
Joey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You: That's impossible. It's not a home console

Me: when docked and using a pro controller (or joycon "home console activator") how is it different from a home console from the gamer's perspective?

You: it's got a mobile chipset.

Me: that doesn't affect the gamer's home console experience.

You: it's less powerful

Me: that doesn't affect it being a home console (see Wii and Wii U).

You:it's got a built in screen and a battery and you can play it on the go.
Me:that doesn't affect the gamer's home console experience.

Me: you're not answering the question

You: your question is irrelevant
Translation:
the lord of the rings no GIF

Me:
Head In Hands GIF by Australian Survivor

Me:Some games can only be played in home console mode and don't work natively with the Switch-lite.

You:I don't know anything about that. All I know is what I believe. And what I believe is right.

Me:
Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Next time someone says the Switch is not a home console refer them to this post. It will save lots of time and effort.

LOL you wanna TLDR my post with your long ass response? like wtf lol

Also, it's pretty obvious you're not even trying to respond in good faith because you don't actually have an argument. That's why you're deflecting by making up shit that I never said like competition, mobile chipsets and power and posting dumb gifs.

If you want to continue to engage, quote the what I've said and respond to that, otherwise we're done.

Edit: and for the record, switch does compete with PS and xbox. But its not in the same category. Just like ipad competes with laptops but its not in the same category.

Last edited:

Rykan

Third, I didnt dismiss the core functionality of switch. It's core functionality is a home gaming device. It's a home gaming device because it has a home console form factor with a seperate controller , is connected to the TV/Monitor through HDMI and can be connected to a power outlet. Every single home console device has had those same 3 features. Every single Console, PC or other home gaming device has those 3 same features and they are all Home devices.

Last edited:

Mozza

You guys are getting way too cocky. Look at the last NPD sales. Look at SteamDeck.

Switch sales could fall off a cliff at any moment like Wii.
To be honest the steamdeck could start to outsell the Switch, if they could acutually make more than five of them at a time ;) , but of course back in the real world the console will only ever be niche, and yet another example of those who feel power is everything are wrong yet again.

Mozza

Rather than dunk on you, I'm going to ask a simple, straightforward question in the hope that you'll give a simple, straightforward answer: Do you think the Switch was supply-constrained in North America last month?
Without a doubt, Nintendo even stated in the last figures meeting that they were struggling to produce as many, the OLED stock has been pretty tight since it's launch, and as Nintendo always do very well over the Holiday period, they obviously pushed as many units as they could into that period, stands to reason the stock was lower in January.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
To be honest the steamdeck could start to outsell the Switch, if they could acutually make more than five of them at a time ;) , but of course back in the real world the console will only ever be niche, and yet another example of those who feel power is everything are wrong yet again.
Where does that leave you when SteamDeck stock picks up and V 2.0 hits the market?

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
While the Switch can ofcourse stop selling suddenly for a variety of reasons, I don't personally see that happening. I mean, it'll sell less than 2020/2021 for sure, but not in the way the Wii crash and burned, I don't think.

They just announced a fuckton of new games that will keep the Switch relevant. By the time the Wii crash and burned, it only had the ProjectRainfall games still coming to it. 3 niche RPG's on a system that previously only got a single RPG (Arc Rise Fantasia or some crap). Meanwhile the Switch is getting MK8 DLC, an 8 year old game that still sold like 3 million copies this year, Zelda 2, Splatoon 3, several new Mario games, Wii Sports, etc. Plus all the third party stuff. Not all of them will be 10+m sellers, but I can see most of them do really well.

Chastten

Banned
Also, the Steam Deck is in no way a thread to the Switch.

It might sell amazingly well, or it might not sell at all, but most of the buyers will be PC gamers who never even considered buying a Switch. They're targeted towards completely different audiences.

Mozza

Where does that leave you when SteamDeck stock picks up and V 2.0 hits the market?
With yet another portable P.C type device with niche appeal, hell there must be five of these things already, honestly I lose count of all those potential Switch killers. ;)

Basically niche tech heads getting all hot and bothered over portable P.C devices, when in reality the masses could not care less about any of this, and most tech savvy people are going to use their much more powerful P.C set ups.....

The real funny thing is how often people moan at the Switch and it's 720p display, then the Steam deck is revealed as a 720p display, and it's fine......... hypocrisy at it's finest. ;)

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
LOL you wanna TLDR my post with your long ass response? like wtf lol

Also, it's pretty obvious you're not even trying to respond in good faith because you don't actually have an argument. That's why you're deflecting by making up shit that I never said like competition, mobile chipsets and power and posting dumb gifs.

If you want to continue to engage, quote the what I've said and respond to that, otherwise we're done.

Edit: and for the record, switch does compete with PS and xbox. But its not in the same category. Just like ipad competes with laptops but its not in the same category.

We're done mate- sorry if that wasn't clear.

I responded to everything- not just what you've said but what others in your Tribe have said as well (sorry about that, I couldn't resist) and as usual your only retort is "I don't like what you say, I dismiss your questions out if hand. I refuse to engage but I'm still right anyway.".

Unlike you and your Tribe I never just say "irrelevant", refuse to engage with your points then get all pissed off when my arguments get dissected....

Thank you though. Next time one of you "never a home console, stop comparing it to PS/Xbox" folk come around, we can refer them to that post and ask them to respond. They won't (as none of you do) and then we can move on.

Have a nice day! 👍

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
With yet another portable P.C type device with niche appeal, hell there must be five of these things already, honestly I lose count of all those potential Switch killers. ;)

Basically niche tech heads getting all hot and bothered over portable P.C devices, when in reality the masses could not care less about any of this, and most tech savvy people are going to use their much more powerful P.C set ups.....

Whisper it quietly but none of those are native home consoles as well..that plus the Switch's library are the reasons why they don't topple the Switch.

Mozza

While the Switch can ofcourse stop selling suddenly for a variety of reasons, I don't personally see that happening. I mean, it'll sell less than 2020/2021 for sure, but not in the way the Wii crash and burned, I don't think.

They just announced a fuckton of new games that will keep the Switch relevant. By the time the Wii crash and burned, it only had the ProjectRainfall games still coming to it. 3 niche RPG's on a system that previously only got a single RPG (Arc Rise Fantasia or some crap). Meanwhile the Switch is getting MK8 DLC, an 8 year old game that still sold like 3 million copies this year, Zelda 2, Splatoon 3, several new Mario games, Wii Sports, etc. Plus all the third party stuff. Not all of them will be 10+m sellers, but I can see most of them do really well.
Such different circumstances as you say, the Wii's casual audience just simply moved on, and at the time Nintendo were still supporting the massive selling DS.

After the direct the other day Nintendo are clearly supporting the Switch of many more years, and their development teams have obviously been affected by covid more than most, but seem to be getting a handle on it now.

blacktout

Rather than dunk on you, I'm going to ask a simple, straightforward question in the hope that you'll give a simple, straightforward answer: Do you think the Switch was supply-constrained in North America last month?

Hey S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE since you reacted to my post with the laughing emoji, something you habitually scroll through Nintendo threads and do to every positive post, you're welcome to answer this question too. Looks like GigaBowser GigaBowser opted to ignore it and double down on Steam Deck speculation.

It's not a trick question. No rhetorical sleight of hand here. It's either true or false. You can answer with a simple "yes" or "no" if you want.

Last edited:

The real funny thing is how often people moan at the Switch and it's 720p display, then the Steam deck is revealed as a 720p display, and it's fine......... hypocrisy at it's finest. ;)

all those mobile PC gaming devices are going to cannibalize each other, while Switch will have the security of Nintendo's games. That's why exclusive content matters

Orta

Banned

You opinions therefore are completely and utterly irrelevant.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Hey S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE since you reacted to my post with the laughing emoji, something you habitually scroll through Nintendo threads and do to every positive post, you're welcome to answer this question too. Looks like GigaBowser GigaBowser opted to ignore it and double down on Steam Deck speculation.

It's not a trick question. No rhetorical sleight of hand here. It's either true or false. You can answer with a simple "yes" or "no" if you want.
You're tempting fate 😉. These folk don't like difficult questions that challenge their worldview.

Just don't expect too much rationality and open discourse in response.

Top Bottom