• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

Marvel14

Banned
The switch is honestly the best console of the last 10 years.

I second this emotion. It really is.

Someone needs to explain to S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE that the empathy reaction is not "I feel sorry for you" but "I align myself with your sentiment "

What he really wants is a "pathos" reaction to denote pity. Unfortunately he'll need to make do with "triggered".

🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I would also like to point out the double standard here.

When comparing graphic fidelity on multi-plat title, most people will account for Switch's Portable device property and justify its graphic downgrade and claim they are incomparable, but when comparing sales of the device, all of the sudden its a "Home Console" and became comparable. Common senses are, getting sales from both Home Console market and Portable/Mobile market will of course boost the sale of the hardware.

Even Nintendo knows they are not directly competing against each other, their strategy was always looking for a way to expand the audience since Wii, and I think it paid off.
Who claims they are incomparable? Strawman much?. People praise that impossiports run and give a passable yet obviously inferior version of the title.
No one sane would say you can't compare a AAA on Switch with Ps/Xbox. What they might say is that its not very enlightening since Switch will almost always be inferior. What matters is whether the port is playable and captures the core game experience.

Heck...I played Xcom2 on Switch and it works enough to sink hours in but I stopped and switched (!) to PS4 because the load times and framerate stutters started to annoy me.

I Wonder how many quarters it will take PS5 to reach 100 million? NDS took 18, NSW took 20, PS4 took 23 and Wii took 27.

MQrIBtE.png

Last edited:

Woopah

Comparing sales from Switch to Xbox or Playstation is pointless, Switch is a portable device in essence. Just like you wouldn't compare PS2 to GBA in the past
Of course you could argue it had dock mode, but dock mode is nothing new, PSP supports connection to TV in its later cycle, that's why I said "in essence" its a portable device, the mobile based architecture says it all. Giving a Laptop a HDMI out to Monitor does not mean its a Desktop.

But nonetheless, Switch is a very successful device, its very convenient too, especially with its replaceable Joy-Con design. Having All three Console from Last Gen, I would definitely say I've used Switch the most.
Except market trackers did compare sales of GBA and PS2 (hardware and software) https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/npd-november-2003.2644/

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Except market trackers did compare sales of GBA and PS2 (hardware and software) https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/npd-november-2003.2644/

You're just pointing to the post from another random user of a different forum. And it's not even a direct comparison. They're just showing hardware sales, not saying, "Here's how GBA is going toe-to-toe with the PS2." They didn't put GBA in the same class as the PS2 (home console) instead of a mobile class (handheld console).

SeraphJan

Who claims they are incomparable? Strawman much?. People praise that impossiports run and give a passable yet obviously inferior version of the title.
No one sane would say you can't compare a AAA on Switch with Ps/Xbox. What they might say is that its not very enlightening since Switch will almost always be inferior. What matters is whether the port is playable and captures the core game experience.

Heck...I played Xcom2 on Switch and it works enough to sink hours in but I stopped and switched (!) to PS4 because the load times and framerate stutters started to annoy me.
You see, that proves my point, people give credits to the port by taking Switch handheld device nature into consideration, however when comparing sale they don't, you've misinterpret my point on purpose. What I meant incomparable, I meant compare them on the SAME STANDARD. Almost no one would give it a pass if they were held to the same standard, so why held them to the same standard by comparing sales when obviously a portable device had a different market than a Home console? Will you compare Desktop and Laptop on the same standard? Or will you compare iphone and switch on the same standard sales wise?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Still hate term "home console" for what is used as essentially a portable for half it's users. Comparing apples to oranges. Still, very impressive sales regardless, shows a huge demand for a hybrid console, not sure what MS and Sony are waiting for, another 25 million in sales to prove a hybrid can sell?

Mozza

You're just pointing to the post from another random user of a different forum. And it's not even a direct comparison. They're just showing hardware sales, not saying, "Here's how GBA is going toe-to-toe with the PS2." They didn't put GBA in the same class as the PS2 (home console) instead of a mobile class (handheld console).
The rule is very simple on here, if the Nintendo console in question is selling low numbers it's compared, if their console is selling very well it's a totally different market and must not be compared sales wise, yes I think I have the formula on here pretty much understood as far as these thing go. ;)

Mozza

You see, that proves my point, people give credits to the port by taking Switch handheld device nature into consideration, however when comparing sale they don't, you've misinterpret my point on purpose. What I meant incomparable, I meant compare them on the SAME STANDARD. Almost no one would give it a pass if they were held to the same standard, so why held them to the same standard by comparing sales when obviously a portable device had a different market than a Home console? Will you compare Desktop and Laptop on the same standard? Or will you compare iphone and switch on the same standard sales wise?
They are all video game consoles so will be compared, and yes the Switch has a wider sales demographic but still will have users who own a Playstation or Xbox.

Woopah

The post is the NPD results, I had to use a forum post as the original NPD articles from 2003 don't seem to be live anymore.

I was able to find this slightly more recent article which compares PS3 to GBA more directly. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/npd-playstation-3-outsold-by-gba

Last edited:

Mozza

Still hate term "home console" for what is used as essentially a portable for half it's users. Comparing apples to oranges. Still, very impressive sales regardless, shows a huge demand for a hybrid console, not sure what MS and Sony are waiting for, another 25 million in sales to prove a hybrid can sell?
So by your rationale half of it's users play docked, therefore it's a home console as much as a handheld.

Mozza

They still all share parts of the same market though, granted the Switch will have users that have never owned a console before, but there will still be a crossover, and as they are all console type devices at the end of the day their sales will be compared.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

They are all video game consoles so will be compared, and yes the Switch has a wider sales demographic but still will have users who own a Playstation or Xbox.
Laptop and Desktop are both computer, PC gamer that games on Desktop would also likely to own Laptop, but do you think they should compare in the same standard?

Even Nintendo themselves does not promote the device to be "Home Console" they moved on from that market long ago, Its a handheld in essence (with mobile hardware) that was branded "Hybrid". Having a mobile device HDMI out is not a new concept, and Steam Deck will have that feature as well. Saying Switch is the fastest selling "Home console" that outsold other "Home console", making a post about it, is like making a post of how Doom looks so much better on Xbox and Playstation, its pretty pointless. They serve different market and different purpose. Just like how Switch also cross market with Mobile device, if someone make a post saying: iphone outsold switch by X amount of number as a "Mobile Gaming Device", or whatever term they came out with, that would also looks pretty silly.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I dont understand the success. Come on nintendo bring out the pro and let me learn. (i know its not happening)

Edit: actually is there any chance for a switch 2 next year? Switch would be on its 7 year by then. Crazy.
Switch 2 will still be underpowered compared to PS5 and Series S/X, will still run most games at 30fps and below and will still struggle to achieve anything over 1080p.

Just buy a Swoled and enjoy life.

Mozza

Laptop and Desktop are both computer, PC gamer that games on Desktop would also likely to own Laptop, but do you think they should compare in the same standard?

Even Nintendo themselves does not promote the device to be "Home Console" they moved on from that market long ago, Its a handheld in essence that was branded "Hybrid". Having a mobile device HDMI out is not a new concept. Saying Switch is the fastest selling "Home console" that outsold other "Home console", making a post about it, is like making a post of how Doom likes so much better on Xbox and Playstation, its pretty pointless. They serve different market and different purpose. Just like how Switch also cross market with Mobile device, if someone make a post saying: iphone outsold switch by X amount of number as a "Mobile Gaming Device", or whatever term they came out with, that would also looks pretty silly.
O.k so totally different markets or parts of them, but how does this make any difference whatsoever to Nintendo's awesome success in becoming the fastest console to reach a 100 million sales, I mean surely Microsoft and Sony want to reach the widest sales demographic as they can, you know to get as many consoles into peoples homes etc etc.

Mozza

Switch 2 will still be underpowered compared to PS5 and Series S/X, will still run most games at 30fps and below and will still struggle to achieve anything over 1080p.

Just buy a Swoled and enjoy life.
Thinking the Switch 2 will be on par with the PS4 depending on when it's released, pretty sure they will be working with Nvidia on a custom chip this time round, as long as they can sort out the battery life and cooling etc.

SeraphJan

O.k so totally different markets or parts of them, but how does this make any difference whatsoever to Nintendo's awesome success in becoming the fastest console to reach a 100 million sales, I mean surely Microsoft and Sony want to reach the widest sales demographic as they can, you know to get as many consoles into peoples homes etc etc.
Nobody is saying they are unsuccessful, the reason they reached 100 million sales is due to convenient, like I stated earlier I've own every console from last gen, but I played Switch the most due to that factor alone. Powerful hardware is good, but convenient is also important, especially detachable and replaceable Joy-con IMO is one of the best innovation Switch had.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thinking the Switch 2 will be on par with the PS4 depending on when it's released, pretty sure they will be working with Nvidia on a custom chip this time round, as long as they can sort out the battery life and cooling etc.
That’d be the dream scenario for me, as long as they stick a quick memory solution in there too.

Mozza

Nobody is saying they are unsuccessful, the reason they reached 100 million sales is due to convenient, like I stated earlier I've own every console from last gen, but I played Switch the most due to that factor alone. Powerful hardware is good, but convenient is also important, especially detachable and replaceable Joy-con IMO is one of the best innovation Switch had.
There are lots of different factors, one of which it's a cool piece of kit that is desirable to a very wide audience, plus Nintendo have got the advertising right with this as well, and also do not underestimate Nintendo's presence in the mobile space, this has given their major IP's some serious traction, and it's not a fluke that both Mario Kart Deluxe and Animal crossing have sold very well, and have both benefited from this extra exposure.

S0ULZB0URNE

I second this emotion. It really is.

Someone needs to explain to S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE that the empathy reaction is not "I feel sorry for you" but "I align myself with your sentiment "

What he really wants is a "pathos" reaction to denote pity. Unfortunately he'll need to make do with "triggered".

🤣🤣🤣
Hey look the 🤡 is so hurt by the fact that a Cell Phone is more of a home console that he can't stop mentioning me.

Chastten

Banned

So, you would agree that the PS2 only sold around 80-100 million home consoles since the rest just used it as a DVD-player?

Mozza

I think Switch 2 will be more powerful than PS4 Pro
A lot depends on it's release window, my bet is a reveal in 2024 with a release late 2024/ early 2025 at the very earliest, and again if it's a custom chip from Nvidia then the PS4 Pro may be attainable, just imagine what Nintendo could do with that type of performance.

Marvel14

Banned

Comparing software performance between two consoles is one thing. You can do it between Switch and Xbox and PS but it's like comparing a lynx with a tiger to see which one's bigger. Invariably the tiger will almost always be bigger. Its not about giving Switch a pass. In fact I bet 80% of Switch users are somewhat annoyed or disappointed that we don't have Switch Pro with more horsepower in the Dock to give better and more satisfying 3rd party AAA titles.

Comparing two hardware products that provide comparable entertainment experiences is a different comparison. You can choose to play Breath of the Wild or TLOU2 on your TV. These substitute for one another as leisure consumption and we can validly ask which provides better couch based entertainment? And we know that graphics, frame rate etc do not determine enjoyment and entertainment value. The Gameboy slayed the Game Gear, the Snes and Genesis slayed the Neo Geo - tale as old as time.

So my question to you: why is comparing hardware form factor and entertainment value the same as comparing the performance of the same piece of software on two different devices?

Why do these two comparisons have to be treated as if they are identical and give the same answer if the questions and units of comparison are substantially different?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Comparing software performance between two consoles is one thing. You can do it between Switch and Xbox and PS but it's like comparing a lynx with a tiger to see which one's bigger. Invariably the tiger will almost always be bigger. Its not about giving Switch a pass. In fact I bet 80% of Switch users are somewhat annoyed or disappointed that we don't have Switch Pro with more horsepower in the Dock to give better and more satisfying 3rd party AAA titles.

Comparing two hardware products that provide comparable entertainment experiences is a different comparison. You can choose to play Breath of the Wild or TLOU2 on your TV. These substitute for one another as leisure consumption and we can validly ask which provides better couch based entertainment? And we know that graphics, frame rate etc do not determine enjoyment and entertainment value. The Gameboy slayed the Game Gear, the Snes and Genesis slayed the Neo Geo - tale as old as time.

So my question to you: why is comparing hardware form factor and entertainment value the same as comparing the performance of the same piece of software on two different devices?

Why do these two omparisons have to be treated as if they are identical and give the same answer if the questions and units of comparison are substantially different?
You just proved my point again, I'm not the one advocate to compare different value, you misinterpret me again. My point was literally why not to compare, you basically skip most of what I have to say and just picking one or two sentences.

But again, back to your question, I think you could form it better, its not the best experience reading it

Last edited:

Mozza

Why do these two omparisons have to be treated as if they are identical and give the same answer if the questions and units of comparison are substantially different?
I would be very surprised if 80% of Switch owners were bothered or even aware of the consoles performance or lack of in the first place, the core users like you and myself would like more power, but not too sure it's than many people, most will simply enjoy the console for what it is. :)

Marvel14

Banned
I would be very surprised if 80% of Switch owners were bothered or even aware of the consoles performance or lack of in the first place, the core users like you and myself would like more power, but not too sure it's than many people, most will simply enjoy the console for what it is. :)
I dunno..I can see kids in the playground saying "you've only got a Switch but I've got a PS5 as well so I can game on the go like you but I've got all the cool graphics too and you don't so I'm more adult and cooler than you. So there!"

Incidentally not unlike some of the folk on Neogaf....😅

Last edited:

Mozza

I dunno..I can see kids in the playground saying "you've only got a Switch but I've got a PS5 as well so I can game on the go like you but I've got all the cool graphics too and you don't so I'm more adult and cooler than you. So there!"

As much as we like to think we speak for everyone we are still a very niche minority, as if we were indeed the majority then I very much doubt this thread would even exist in the first place, as there would be simply no way the Switch was getting to 100 million consoles so fast, not with the haters on video game forums, hell even a lot of people on Nintendo Life give the Switch a hard time. ;)

Marvel14

Banned
You just proved my point again, I'm not the one advocate to compare different value, you misinterpret me again. My point was literally why not to compare, you basically skip most of what I have to say and just picking one or two sentences.

But again, back to your question, I think you could form it better, its not the best experience reading it
Isn't your argument:

Nintendo Switch Software performance- gets judge based on its mobile chipset.

Nintendo Switch Hardware Sales performance - get judged based on it being a home console.

You: this is hypocrisy.

Have I misinterpreted?

Last edited:

Mozza

Hell I am going for the Switch 2 to be more powerful than the PS5, just imagine the salt on here if that ever happened, still it would be a hybrid so they could still cling to the "It's a handheld argument" . ;)

SeraphJan

Isn't your argument:

Nintendo Switch Software performance- let's judge it based on its mobile chipset.

Nintendo Switch Hardware Sales performance - let's judge it based on it being a home console.

You: this is hypocrisy.

Have I misinterpreted?
I don't agree with judging Switch based on its mobile chipset for subpar graphic compare to Xbox or Playstation
And I don't agree with comparing sales of these devices, because they are different type of device aiming for different market
Just like I don't agree with claim iphone out selling Switch is something to be excited about
Nor do I think Laptop and Desktop should be held to the same standard of comparison
Nor do I think Steam Deck should be bundle to PC category and claim it has sold more than a billion copy before it is even launched

There I fix it for you.

So I don't understand why people like to compare different type of plastics, just have fun with what you have

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I don't agree with judging Switch based on its mobile chipset for subpar graphic compare to Xbox or Playstation
And I don't agree with comparing sales of these devices, because they are different type of device aiming for different market
Just like I don't agree with claim iphone out selling Switch is something to be excited about
Nor do I think Laptop and Desktop should be held to the same standard of comparison

There I fix it for you.

So I don't understand why people like to compare different type of plastics, just have fun with what you have
Yes fixed my text too so there was no confusion.

Are you going to answer my question? Software output performance and hardware sales are not the same thing. Why must they be treated the same?

And why can't you compare whether console consumers prefer playing BOTW on their TV versus TLOU2 or Halo and hence Sales of the respective hardware?

S0ULZB0URNE

So, you would agree that the PS2 only sold around 80-100 million home consoles since the rest just used it as a DVD-player?
Actually many did use the PS2 as a DVD player and it easily helped put DVD on the map.
Doesn't change what it was though, A "home console"

SeraphJan

I think these two circumstances are pretty identical

SeraphJan

Yes fixed my text too so there was no confusion.

Are you going to answer my question? Software output performance and hardware sales are not the same thing. Why must they be treated the same?

And why can't you compare whether console consumers prefer playing BOTW on their TV versus TLOU2 or Halo and hence Sales of the respective hardware?
I fixed your misinterpretation of my own statement, not your text

And I can't answer your question because your question was based on the misinterpretation of my statement

But how about you answering my question first since I asked you first, will you held Desktop and Laptop to the same standard? And will you compare the Sales of Iphone and Switch?

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I fixed your misinterpretation of my own statement, not your text

And I can't answer your question because your question was based on the misinterpretation of my statement

But how about you answering my question first since I asked you first, will you held Desktop and Laptop to the same standard? And will you compare the Sales of Iphone and Switch?

The "it's just a handheld" crowd really struggle with questions eh?

Answering yours: nope a laptop's main function is to be mobile. Desktop is to stay at home. One is much heavier and bulkier than the other.

Switch has you confused though because it has both handheld and home console form factors in one package. The fact that the home console experience is indistinguishable from PS and Xbox (and I have both of those) means a comparison is valid. Because you can substitute playing between them on TV with standalone controllers.

If you could just explain why consuming Switch on your TV is different from consuming PS and Xbox on your TV you could win the argument once and for all...

I get that PS and Xbox don't have a handheld function but that's the USP of the Switch. Should we not compare Xbox sales to PS because of dualsense? Xbox doesn't have that and it distinguishes the experience on PS...the logic is similar if the point is that a differentiating Unique Selling Point disqualifies a sales comparison.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Answering yours: nope a laptop's main function is to be mobile. Desktop is to stay at home. One is much heavier and bulkier than the other.

Switch has you confused though because it has both handheld and home console form factors in one package. The fact that the home console experience is indistinguishable from PS and Xbox (and I have both of those) means a comparison is valid. Because you can substitute playing between them on TV with standalone controllers.

If you could just explain why consuming Switch on your TV is different from consuming PS and Xbox on your TV you could win the argument once and for all...
Laptop has you confused though because it has both Laptop mode and connect to monitor through HDMI mode in one package. The fact that the monitor experience is indistinguishable from Desktop means a comparison is valid. Because you can substitute playing between them on monitor, with any peripheral.

This is not my opinion by the way, but your argument is easily countered.

Why its not my opinion? Because although Laptop had achieve similar experience, but not on par with desktop when play as a desktop device, the same could be said with Switch

And I do not like this take on "it's just a handheld crowd" mentality, there is no need for tribalism

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Laptop has you confused though because it has both Laptop mode and connect to monitor through HDMI mode in one package. The fact that the monitor experience is indistinguishable from Desktop means a comparison is valid. Because you can substitute playing between them on monitor, with any peripheral.

This is not my opinion by the way, but your argument is easily countered.
But the form factor is not the same. You have to plug a whole bunch of extra things in that you have to buy separately to turn a laptop into a desktop, mouse, monitor and external keyboard. You have all the extra wires to manage and you also have two screen functionality in a laptop's desktop mode that you can't get with just a desktop unless you buy another monitor.

Also a laptop has more limited hardware functionality. Fewer ports for peripherals, especially in desktop mode, little to no hardware upgrade capability or additional hardware functionality (eg incorporating an internal blue Ray drive).

I have just listed half a dozen (8 actually) functional differences between the desktop and a laptop's desktop mode.

My argument would be easily countered if you can find at least one functional difference between Switch's home console mode which is fully realised right out of the box and those of PS/Xbox. As it stands you have countered nothing. Come on...counter away..just one functional difference.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom