• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

Deerock71

All those sales numbers don't magically produce a good system. Still joycon drift. Still paid online that drones buy up because of the illusion of value attached to the paywall. Still a feeling of corporatness that was less apparent in the Iwata era.
This was Iwata's parting gift to Nintendo.
Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

MrA

They are more capable in gaming alone and it gets worse if we count the other abilities.
MANY cell phones not only have better gaming specs but far longer lasting batteries and as far as cooling goes.... I suggest you look at the Asus ROG Phone that's been mentioned in this thread.
Do you mean a phone that costs several times the cost of a switch, the 2018 model still runs 500 dollars, the most recent costs nearly 2k,
a 100 dollar phone gets you something in the snapdragon 600 range, which isn't a fraction of the switch's capabilities, and a 300 dollar phone will still get you something only on par or a little below the switch

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you mean a phone that costs several times the cost of a switch, the 2018 model still runs 500 dollars, the most recent costs nearly 2k,
a 100 dollar phone gets you something in the snapdragon 600 range, which isn't a fraction of the switch's capabilities, and a 300 dollar phone will still get you something only on par or a little below the switch
Got someone a Moto G power for $100 that is very comparable to the Switch.

Quite a few $300 phones surpass the Switch.

Price is irrelevant and not the point though.

Only reason cell phones aren't mentioned is because of the brands and the only reason Switch is mentioned in the NPD is because of the brand.

Marvel14

Banned
Impressive numbers. As a long time fan it’s always nice to see Nintendo coming out top.

And for the years old discussion:
For me, my Switch is a handheld.
For my son it’s a tv console.

It can be what you want it to be. You can choose. It’s “consolefluid”.
Complete and utter bollocks. It's portability-fluid. It's never not a console.

Marvel14

Banned
It's not really a topic where people can 100% agree on a certain definition (like in let's say physics) because it is somewhat subjective after all. I could also totally make the case for an ROG laptop being a dedicated gaming device, so yeah.
Except a Switch can't do much except play games and access Internet media. Laptops are multi function devices. Thats the key difference.

And the fact that the Switch can be used exclusively as a console connected to a TV just like PS and Xbox means it qualifies as a home console. That it has multiform factor functionality- its core USp- doesn't delegitimize one of those form factors regardless of what these "its only a handheld" nuts believe. Would love to hear them try to argue it though. We could then use the same argument presumably to delegitimize the PS or Xbox as multimedia devices..

Its like arguing with flat earthers. They are painfully, pitifully and plainly wrong but they're not going to change their minds.

Marvel14

Banned
Got someone a Moto G power for $100 that is very comparable to the Switch.

Quite a few $300 phones surpass the Switch.

Price is irrelevant and not the point though.

Only reason cell phones aren't mentioned is because of the brands and the only reason Switch is mentioned in the NPD is because of the brand.
Cellphones primarily make calls, they can also read and write documents, scan codes, take pictures, play music and loads of other functions including playing games. They don't qualify because gaming is not a primary function and they don't automatically come with gaming input devices to maximise the gaming experience.

The Switch plays games and limited Internet media - that's it.

It's not that hard if you strip away your ideology.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Cellphones primarily make calls, they can also read and write documents, scan codes, take pictures, play music and loads of other functions including playing games. They don't qualify because gaming is not a primary function and they don't automatically come with gaming input devices to maximise the gaming experience.

The Switch plays games and limited Internet media - that's it.

It's not that hard if you strip away your ideology.
This isn't true. Cell phones no longer have a single purpose and can be used without even having a sim(to make calls)
It can do much more than a Switch and is far more capable as a gaming device.

Some do come with input devices but all can play games included input devices or not.

Marvel14

Banned
This isn't true. Cell phones no longer have a single purpose and can be used without even having a sim(to make calls)
It can do much more than a Switch and is far more capable as a gaming device.

Some do come with input devices but all can play games included input devices or not.
You say "it isn't true " and proceed to repeat what I say which is making my point. Cellphones are multifunction devices that happen to also play games. But few if any gamers buy them as their primary gaming device. Why not? Or are you going to argue otherwise? Wheres the hardcore gaming forum for Cellphone users discussing the latest upcoming AAA titles for mobile phones?

Cellphones don't automatically come with dedicated gaming inputs. Gaming is an incidental additional function not a core function. It doesn't matter that they have more power or capability than a console. They are not designed primarily for gaming. Youre essentially saying that a black and white camera with focal lenses for long shots is less of a camera than a cellphone because the cellphone camera has superior megapixels. Colour and contrast and memory even though the black and white camera takes better long range pictures which is it's primary function.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You say "it isn't true " and proceed to repeat what I say which is making my point. Cellphones are multifunction devices that happen to also play games. But few if any gamers buy them as their primary gaming device. Why not? Or are you going to argue otherwise? Wheres the hardcore gaming forum for Cellphone users discussing the latest upcoming AAA titles for mobile phones?

Cellphones don't automatically come with dedicated gaming inputs. Gaming is an incidental additional function not a core function. It doesn't matter that they have more power or capability than a console. They are not designed primarily for gaming. Youre essentially saying that a black and white camera with focal lenses for long shots is less of a camera than a cellphone because the cellphone camera has superior megapixels. Colour and contrast and memory even though the camera takes better long range pictures which is it's primary function.
I am going to argue otherwise when it comes to the main use being gaming for many and the mobile gaming market is the largest gaming market.

You keep mentioning inputs which is silly as cell phones have the needed inputs,can be played with the touch screen,can be cast to or hooked up to a larger display and have built in Mics for online communication.

Just because they can do way more non-gaming things than the Switch doesn't make them any less of a gaming device,especially when we factor in the fact of them being more capable when it comes to gaming.

That's like saying lets not compare a Gaming PC to a Console... type of foolishness.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They are more capable in gaming alone and it gets worse if we count the other abilities.
MANY cell phones not only have better gaming specs but far longer lasting batteries and as far as cooling goes.... I suggest you look at the Asus ROG Phone that's been mentioned in this thread.
LOL, great comparison... Sure, if budget is no limitation let's compare PS5 and XSX to highest end gaming PC... Yet 100M users prefer Switch over that alternative

Marvel14

Banned
I am going to argue otherwise when it comes to the main use being gaming for many and the mobile gaming market is the largest gaming market.

You keep mentioning inputs which is silly as cell phones have the needed inputs,can be played with the touch screen,can be cast to or hooked up to a larger display and have built in Mics for online communication.

Just because they can do way more non-gaming things than the Switch doesn't make them any less of a gaming device,especially when we factor in the fact of them being more capable when it comes to gaming.

That's like saying lets not compare a Gaming PC to a Console type foolishness.

Yes it does because they lack gaming inputs just like a black and white camera with focal lenses is more of a camera than a cellphone with a gazillion mega pixels camera. The cellphone camera is not able to give the same quality long shots because its camera is restricted by the cellphone's form factor.

Wheres the hardcore mobile gaming forum where games like GTA, Witcher and Last of Us are discussed?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes it does because they lack gaming inputs just like a black and white camera with focal lenses is more of a camera than a cellphone with a gazillion mega pixels camera. The cellphone camera is not able to give the same quality long shots because its camera is restricted by the cellphone's form factor.

Wheres the hardcore mobile gaming forum where games like GTA, Witcher and Last of Us are discussed?
You keep saying a cell phone lacks the inputs to game and the more you say it shows just how ignorant you are.

Who cares about mobile gaming having a hardcore forum or not? That doesn't change the fact that mobile gaming is the largest gaming market.
LOL, great comparison... Sure, if budget is no limitation let's compare PS5 and XSX to highest end gaming PC... Yet 100M users prefer Switch over that alternative
Price wasn't the point it was devices vs devices.
Switch is a different type of gaming device with tech and services that are generations behind what the home consoles are/capable of.
It's a different market period.

It's almost like saying Sega is re-releasing the Dreamcast with portable abilities to go toe to toe with the XSX and PS5.

We always compare PS5/XSX to PC.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You keep saying a cell phone lacks the inputs to game and the more you say it shows just how ignorant you are.

Who cares about mobile gaming having a hardcore forum or not? That doesn't change the fact that mobile gaming is the largest gaming market.

Switch is a different type of gaming device with tech and services that are generations behind what the home consoles are/capable of.

It's almost like saying Sega is re-releasing the Dreamcast with portable abilities to go toe to toe with the XSX and PS5.

Yet it's the fastest selling console in history, that's the subject, and that's because games matters the most

S0ULZB0URNE

Yet it's the fastest selling console in history, that's the subject, and that's because games matters the most
It's tech and features isn't like the others this generation.

Console generation's always have had similar devices competing since the 8 bit days.
Nintendo pretty much walked away from competing with Sony and MS with the wii and hasn't been the same since.

Nothing more to say on this matter.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's tech and features isn't like the others this generation.

Console generation's always have had similar devices competing since the 8 bit days.
Nintendo pretty much walked away from competing with Sony and MS with the wii and hasn't been the same since.

Nothing more to say on this matter.
That's intelligence, I also learnt that I'd rather go to where there's less competition rather than where there's more demand alone... Business is business

Marvel14

Banned

You're not responding to the camera point because you know you're wrong.

I didn't say "no gaming input devices' I said input devices specifically designed for gaming as core to the form factor.

The point is that the Switch's closest competition have not stopped being Sony and MS because they are all catering to the core gamer market. Sure the mobile gaming market is massive but that's because cellphones are ubiquitous and all of them can play games catering especially to casual users. But that's beside the point. You and your Tribe want to pretend the Switch's main competition is cellphones which is utter bollocks.

If that was the case Nintendo would not put its IP on mobile phones. Or equivalently, it would put its most important IP on Playstation and Xbox.

PC is the other end of the spectrum...there are core gamers for whom that IS the preferred device because it can deliver a superior experience unlike cellphones (and they buy peripherals to maximise gaming functionality) but only Microsoft considers that market part of its core ecosystem. Playstation and Nintendo don't put their IP on PC because it is part of the competition .

But you know all of this, you're just salty about the Switch's success for some reason and you won't be told otherwise.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You're not responding to the camera point because you know you're wrong.

I didn't say "no gaming input devices' I said input devices specifically designed for gaming as core to the form factor.

The point is that the Switch's closest competition have not stopped being Sony and MS not phones because they are all catering to the core gamer market.

If that wasn't the case Nintendo would not put its IP on mobile phones. Or equivalently, it would put its most important IP on Playstation and Xbox.

PC is the other end of the spectrum...there are core gamers for whom that IS the preferred device because it can deliver a superiorexperience unlike cellphones (and they buy peripherals to maximise gaming functionality) but only Microsoft considers that market part of its core ecosystem.

But you know all of this, you're just salty about the Switch's success for some reason and you won't be told otherwise.
Not responding to the camera point because it's stupid!

Switch is mobile.
Switch uses MOBILE chips that are generations behind.
Switch doesn't have a robust online component, in fact it's comparable to the 20 year old OG XBL.

Totally different product than what this generations home consoles are/offer.
Only reason it's mentioned along side the others is because Nintendo makes it.

Like I said in my last post... I have nothing more to say about this. Carry on

Marvel14

Banned

Switch is mobile.
Switch doesn't have a robust online component, in fact it's comparable to the 20 year old OG XBL.

3 questions you can't answer:

1. Why doesn't Nintendo put its IP on Xbox and Playstation? They're not the competition so they're stupidly leaving money on the table. It's almost as if doing so would eat into their hardware business...

2. If mobile phones are the main hardware competition for the Switch, why are there several Nintendo IPs with their own unique games not available on Switch exclusively on mobile? Why don't these erode Switch hardware sales?

3. In what way is a docked switch with the joycon controller accessory different to a home console for the gaming consumer? If you answer "power" then the Wii was not a home console either. If you answer "it uses the same innards as mobile phones" then how does that negate it being a home console? If you answer "because it has a handheld form factor" then explain why a phone stops being a phone if it can also take pictures. Why does one form factor negate the other? Whatever you answer it will have nothing to do with a gamer's experience as a consumer of the hardware.

You lot are the saddest of the sad...

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I've got a way to solve this:

"Switch is the 2nd fastest selling video game platform". Simple

I just looked it up, and the DS sold 30+million units during its peak years, something the Switch hasn’t accomplished so far. It’s easy to forget just what kind of monster the DS was (and it was a handheld only!).

It also makes me wonder if the Switch won‘t catch up to the DS (and PS2) after all, unless they manage to sell >20 million annually for a couple more years. The DS really started to decline in its seventh year, and fell off a cliff in its eighth. If the Switch follows a similar trajectory, sales should remain somewhat stable in 2022, then significantly decline in 2023, before plummeting in 2024. It‘s probably going to be really close; I expect the Switch to land somewhere between 150-160 million when all is said and done, leaving it either slightly below or slightly above the DS and PS2.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The other dude's thread/posts trying to separate sales of the Switch and Switch Lite (lol) were pretty dumb and rightfully panned, but it's kinda cheatng to compare it vs home consoles only knowing that it sells as a portable too (regardless of version). They're all consoles, handheld or home, they compete with each other for people's attention, in hardware and software sales, especially when the games are largely of similar styles, multiplatform, etc., but focusing on a specific aspect like "home" rather than a general "video game machines" and excluding other portables is stretching it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Woopah

I just looked it up, and the DS sold 30+million units during its peak years, something the Switch hasn’t accomplished so far. It’s easy to forget just what kind of monster the DS was (and it was a handheld only!).

It also makes me wonder if the Switch won‘t catch up to the DS (and PS2) after all, unless they manage to sell >20 million annually for a couple more years. The DS really started to decline in its seventh year, and fell off a cliff in its eighth. If the Switch follows a similar trajectory, sales should remain somewhat stable in 2022, then significantly decline in 2023, before plummeting in 2024. It‘s probably going to be really close; I expect the Switch to land somewhere between 150-160 million when all is said and done, leaving it either slightly below or slightly above the DS and PS2.
DS fell off a cliff after the successor was announced, whereas PS2 sold another 50 million after its successor was announced due to its price, media capabilities in developing markets and the failures of the PS3.

Switch should get to at least 130 million, but beyond that it all depends on what happens with the successor.

BlackM1st

Banned
It's cheap, compact, readily available and has some kids friendly\ casual friendly games with a lot of recognizable heroes. So uh... Ok? Good for Nintendo and people who are into this type of games.

Me personally couldn't care less.

Marvel14

Banned
I mean, the other dude's thread/posts trying to separate sales of the Switch and Switch Lite (lol) were pretty dumb and rightfully panned, but it's kinda cheatng to compare it vs home consoles only knowing that it sells as a portable too. They're all consoles, handheld or home, they can compete with each other for people's attention, in hardware and in software sales, especially when the games are largely of similar styles and multiplatform etc., but when focusing on a specific aspect like "home" rather than a general "video game machines" that includes them allm well, it's stretching it.
I'd be happy to subtract the Switch-lite sales from Switch's total to compare against Playstation and Xbox. But I would not do it when comparing Nintendo's performance as a hardware maker against Sony and Microsoft.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Bruh, you ok?

You have how many posts in this thread? Does it hurts your feelings when someone says that they don't care about your precious Switch?

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Again. You ok?

Man, stop with this shit-stirring nonesense.

You dropped a driveby shitpost with a statment that you demonstrated to be untrue by the very act of taking the time to both read and reply to the subject. Don't get pissy and shit up the thread baiting just because the guy called you on it. At best you were trying to look edgy for attention, at worst you're just trolling. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
You dropped a driveby shitpost
Excuse me? Saying that I personally couldn't care less about Switch while saying that:

It's cheap, compact, readily available and has some kids friendly\ casual friendly games with a lot of recognizable heroes. So uh... Ok? Good for Nintendo and people who are into this type of games

Is a trolling now? Well excuse me, Princess, not everyone into Switch. So what? Why so damn defensive?

You mean like saying you don't care about
something and then making 4 posts in a thread about it...?
I made 1 post on topic. One. Everything else is just you being a deranged Nintendo fanboy and me wondering just how defensive some people can be because of their plastic toys.

Marvel14

Banned
Excuse me? Saying that I personally couldn't care less about Switch while saying that:

Is a trolling now? Well excuse me, Princess, not everyone into Switch. So what? Why so damn defensive?

I made 1 post on topic. One. Everything else is just you being a deranged Nintendo fanboy and me wondering just how defensive some people can be because of their plastic toys.
Please don't stop...
Michael Jackson Reaction GIF

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Okay... so you're that guy.

People who "personally couldn't care less" don't typically need to tell everyone that they couldn't care less. They don't care enough to. The eagerness with which you attacked the first person to take the bait and your reaction to the duplicity of your statement being pointed out just further demonstrates your intent.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

All those sales numbers don't magically produce a good system. Still joycon drift. Still paid online that drones buy up because of the illusion of value attached to the paywall. Still a feeling of corporatness that was less apparent in the Iwata era.
Nintendo will always be the highest selling systems because of the IP's they have and there are more young gamers than older gamers. i agree with you 100%, it doesnt mean its a good system at all.

Woopah

Nintendo will always be the highest selling systems because of the IP's they have and there are more young gamers than older gamers. i agree with you 100%, it doesnt mean its a good system at all.
Except Nintendo does not always have the highest selling systems. They only do so when they offer a system with a lot of appealing software.

Vognerful

I mean, the other dude's thread/posts trying to separate sales of the Switch and Switch Lite (lol) were pretty dumb and rightfully panned, but it's kinda cheatng to compare it vs home consoles only knowing that it sells as a portable too. They're all consoles, handheld or home, they can compete with each other for people's attention, in hardware and in software sales, especially when the games are largely of similar styles and multiplatform etc., but when focusing on a specific aspect like "home" rather than a general "video game machines" that includes them allm well, it's stretching it.
Bro where were you when had to argue with someone who did not accept that Xbox series sales should be considered as 2 different consoles (series X and S alone)?

Marvel14

Banned
It's a shite system that isn't appealing to adults at all and it has a total of zero appealing games.

Kids are just dumb and easily duped. How do I know this? In my sample size of the 5 families I know, only the kids own switches, and they're all dumb and super immature (grow up already). This is quite obviously fully representative of the 100 million buyers of Switch.

#iamnotsalty.
#Iamastatsmaster
#kidsarelame
#Idonthatenintendo

Last edited:

Mozza

But surely this does not indicate it's a bad system either, the rationale on here seems to be if people have no personal interest in something, or feel it's lacking, then everyone that does not feel the same has very low standards, when in fact they simply have different tastes.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Switch is mobile.

If I was console warring, I'd be ashamed that my console of preference didn't sell 100M faster than such an unappealing device as that :(

Kataploom

Gold Member
3 questions you can't answer:

1. Why doesn't Nintendo put its IP on Xbox and Playstation? They're not the competition so they're stupidly leaving money on the table. It's almost as if doing so would eat into their hardware business...

2. If mobile phones are the main hardware competition for the Switch, why are there several Nintendo IPs with their own unique games not available on Switch exclusively on mobile? Why don't these erode Switch hardware sales?

3. In what way is a docked switch with the joycon controller accessory different to a home console for the gaming consumer? If you answer "power" then the Wii was not a home console either. If you answer "it uses the same innards as mobile phones" then how does that negate it being a home console? If you answer "because it has a handheld form factor" then explain why a phone stops being a phone if it can also take pictures. Why does one form factor negate the other? Whatever you answer it will have nothing to do with a gamer's experience as a consumer of the hardware.

You lot are the saddest of the sad...
Allow me to correct you on this, it is not an accesory, it's part of the console because it comes in the main package, so we can clearly see how being a home console is part of Switch initial proposal

Yeah like I stated there is no more to say on this matter.
Then why you keep getting into arguments with people in a sales related thread? I keep mentioning the 100+ Millions sold because that's what the thread is about

S0ULZB0URNE

Then why you keep getting into arguments with people in a sales related thread? I keep mentioning the 100+ Millions sold because that's what the thread is about
I keep getting quoted.
The internet is full of disagreements. Some people just can't handle the facts because of plastic love.

Marvel14

Banned
Allow me to correct you on this, it is not an accesory, it's part of the console because it comes in the main package, so we can clearly see how being a home console is part of Switch initial proposal

Yes...I couldn't find the right term..what would you call it? The joycon controller adaptor?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes...I couldn't find the right term..what would you call it? The joycon controller adaptor?
That's a good question... let's just call it accesory I guess lol It's just that accesory is mostly used for something outside of the main package and it's actually included

Top Bottom