• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nissan ad features Brie Larson, gets tons of dislikes

Cravis

Can’t stand Larson. She has this smug “I’m better than you” look.

She was cute in 21 Jump St. but she either had some terrible work done or was used and abused on the casting couch then left out to dry in the interim. Can’t believe she is 30, looks a good bit older.

ab5eed4510126f3270b092f27f2d7231142b7c01.gifv

....You know what? Nissans' aint that bad

Hinedorf

Banned

She was cute in 21 Jump St. but she either had some terrible work done or was used and abused on the casting couch then left out to dry in the interim. Can’t believe she is 30, looks a good bit older.

For some reason I share this sentiment. I think she's quite beautiful but everything about her face makes me think everything she's saying is with her eyes rolling. The attitude didn't translate to Captain Marvel for me as it just felt like a chick with attitude rather than a confident badass super hero

Hoping her next movie gets significantly better writing

SoulUnison

Banned
How can anyone have a problem with this ad

Because they've been conditioned to by echo chambers and contrarian attitudes.
You can't even have a harmless like this without someone making it out to be "a direct attack on western values," or something.

Yes, it is.

Giving a woman a pep talk and encouraging her to be more assertive about her career is "feminist propaganda."
Like, what? That's brushing right up against some real shady company. Rubbing elbows with shit like "My wife watched that commercial, and now she's got ideas..."

What was this commercial supposed to be, in your eyes?
A woman sitting in the corner holding up a picture of a Nissan and meekly stating: "I would like to drive a car if it doesn't displease you, master?"

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Giving a woman a pep talk and encouraging her to be more assertive about her career is "feminist propaganda."

Almost by definition, particularly when prominently featured in a car commercial which has very little to do with women's workplace situations.

Seems pretty inoffensive. We can't go calling other people snowflakes and then getting triggered by something like this.

Also my Nissan sure doesn't compromise when it comes to using a shitton of fuel
I don't have a problem with the ad, but I really dislike that woman.

I mean, it's a kinda good message that should overall be more or less inoffensive. It's promoting women to avoid being too agreeable and instead being more risky and recognize their value. However, at its basis it's trying to sell a car by appealing to some weird mix of women that I can't even understand. Career women that are agreeable and want to be more assertive? Then again, it's Brie Larson, so I'm not surprised it's getting disliked, considering she has previously acted like an ass.

TheMan

I don't see what there is to hate about this commercial

(aside from the fact that Nissan sucks, heyooo)

Nymphae

Banned
I don't quite get it, boss tells her he's not promoting her, and Bree tells her, why compromise? What is she compromising by being informed that she isn't getting a promotion?

Didn't get that promotion? Quick check this out, doesn't this car have nice features? Right? You should probably quit your job.

Last edited:
They should have females design and build the cars. They only show up when all the heavy lifting is done to turn the key.

Just kidding. I member that bridge they built.

VanEs

Like, what? That's brushing right up against some real shady company. Rubbing elbows with shit like "My wife watched that commercial, and now she's got ideas..."

A woman sitting in the corner holding up a picture of a Nissan and meekly stating: "I would like to drive a car if it doesn't displease you, master?"

It's a commercial about a damn car. How about it being about the car instead of the eternal feminist sob story about how the man keeps them down.

Also, Brie Larson is well known for her pretentious social justice nonsense.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Because they've been conditioned to by echo chambers and contrarian attitudes.
You can't even have a harmless like this without someone making it out to be "a direct attack on western values," or something.

Shit.

Busted.

The wife is barefoot in the kitchen, chained to the washing machine and dude is scared that she sees this advert and gets uppity.

It all makes sense...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Prior to Captain Marvel I had no idea who she was, I think it's supposed to show that the car is as strong as Captain Marvel.

eot

Banned
Almost by definition, particularly when prominently featured in a car commercial which has very little to do with women's workplace situations.
The Gillette ad was garbage because it attacked men, while this ad is ("at worst") a pep talk for women. Ads often employ an empowering message to sell their product, it's part of the psychology that makes them work. An ad for detergent that shows how a soccer mom can get all the laundry done is also empowering for women in a sense, doesn't make it feminist propaganda, or patriarchal propaganda.

It's fucking tiring when people have their politicising goggles on and have to make everything about that. We're not even in that sub-forum.

Last edited:
I do so enjoy these threads where the exact same people flock to all shrug as hard as they can and protest there is nothing to see here.
Before they go to the next obvious example and protest that there is nothing to see there either.
And the next example.
And the next.
And the next.
And the next.
And the next.

I enjoy coming to these threads to watch the same borderline incel-ish behaviours being displayed over the most innocuous of things featuring women. Honestly, just step back out of the circle and view it from afar. It is a pretty sad display really. Epic levels of cringe.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Ads often employ an empowering message to sell their product, it's part of the psychology that makes them work

The messaging here though is just basic bitch platitudes. Like I said before, I don't even quite get what the messaging is going for.

The woman is told by her boss that she is not getting a promotion.
Since we have no other details, the assumption is she is unfairly being kept down here, not getting something she (not clearly) deserves (the other option being she just justifiably can't receive a promotion for whatever reason)

Cut to Brie - check this feature set out - pretty awesome eh? NO COMPRIMISES GURLFREN

Drop her back off at the boss, where she now marches toward him with a sense of importance.

What is the message?

I enjoy coming to these threads to watch the same borderline incel-ish behaviours being displayed over the most innocuous of things featuring women. Honestly, just step back out of the circle and view it from afar. It is a pretty sad display really. Epic levels of cringe.
Nice "no u" effort.
There is plenty of deliberate choices that I can point out in this add that didn't need to go the way they did. They wouldn't have compromised the message at all.

But the very fact they played to these tropes that the "nothing to see here" brigade have marched in to perform their merry dance to is, ironically the very evidence of what some are so invested in denying.

The very fact this charade is so frequently played out, often within days of the last example is a telling lesson in why denial isn't a winning strategy.

If petty denial and thinly disguised "no u" responses are the depth of your argument then you're not really helping yourself. Or anyone.

Last edited:

sol_bad

No, this is just something you have created in your own little head. You don't know her and never will know her.

Nice "no u" effort.
There is plenty of deliberate choices that I can point out in this add that didn't need to go the way they did. They wouldn't have compromised the message at all.

But the very fact they played to these tropes that the "nothing to see here" brigade have marched in to perform their merry dance to is, ironically the very evidence of what some are so invested in denying.

The very fact this charade is so frequently played out, often within days of the last example is a telling lesson in why denial isn't a winning strategy.

If petty denial and thinly disguised "no u" responses are the depth of your argument then you're not really helping yourself. Or anyone.

It wasnt really meant as a no u response. The response was exactly what I said it was. If something involving women is brought up here sure enough the same people come out the woodwork with the same schtick everytime. Shit, I wasnt even necessarily denying what you said haha.

Papa

Banned
It wasnt really meant as a no u response. The response was exactly what I said it was. If something involving women is brought up here sure enough the same people come out the woodwork with the same schtick everytime. Shit, I wasnt even necessarily denying what you said haha.

What’s your point then

Top Bottom