• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
People did scream for multiplayer...

Yeah I know, while those of us who understood it was a singleplayer game kept it alive for two years. I'm actually angry with Hello Games for folding like this. In a recent interview, Sean Murray actually said he'd changed is vision but 'they'll keep working on their vision here and there'. In other words, they catered to the complainers and are throwing scraps to the very people that kept the game relevant. That's why we haven't got more variety in building (something long term supporters have been asking for), haven't gotten a bigger variety of biomes (something long term supporters have been asking for) and have only ONE extra creature added (also something long term supporters have been asking for). Instead they've added a story, added multiplayer and added more weapon types. All things the complainers wanted.

This game was about exploration and loneliness (Sean's own words) and now it's neither.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Info about the next patch. It sounds good:

ccmjcbqo8mp11.jpg

16 Slots..

Exocraft tech now sells S,A,B and C class upgrade modules for Engine/Boost/Cannon/Laser...

3 suspension upgrades for different driving styles..

Grip Boost Suspension - Forwards Grip -50%, Angular Grip +110%

Hi-Slide Suspension - Forwards Grip -50%, Angular Grip -34%

Drift Suspension - Forwards Grip +200%, Angular Grip -34%

Customisation Options...

Paint - 20 Primary and Accent colours.

Cockpit - 9 Decals (10 but one option is no decal)

Left Sidepod - 9 Decals

Right Sidepod - 9 Decals

Spoiler - 9 Decals

Booster (Engine Flame) - 20 Primary and Accent colours...

Exocraft improvements in the latest experimental:

• Added a new Exocraft, the Pilgrim. Purchase the blueprints for the Pilgrim Geobay from a Blueprint Analyser.
  • Added an Exocraft Summoning Station that once built on a planet, allows all owned exocraft to be summoned from anywhere on that planet. Purchase the blueprints for the Exocraft Summoning Station from a Blueprint Analyser.
  • Increased the inventory size of all Exocraft.
  • Increased the base speed of the Colossus.
  • Added upgrade modules for the Exocraft, similar to the modules available for ships, Multi-Tools + the Exosuit. Upgrade Modules are purchasable for Nanites from the Exocraft Technician once their quest chain is complete. Modifiable stats include top speed, boost power, fuel efficiency, gun damage and more.
  • Expanded the Exocraft Quick Menu options to allow all owned and in-range Exocraft to be summoned, not just the current primary Exocraft.
  • Added the ability to customise your Exocraft with unique paint, decals and boost particle options.
  • Added specific technology to customise Exocraft handling, allowing drivers to spec their vehicles for grip or drift.
  • Added a speedometer display to the HUD while driving an Exocraft.
  • Fixed a number of issues with vehicle races, particularly in multiplayer.
  • Fixed an issue where Exocraft with laser upgrades could still not mine substances that required an Advanced Mining Laser.
  • Fixed an issue where Exocraft could not mine terrain resources.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Whoa, new Exocraft?! That's awesome.

I'm really in a good groove with Next, finally. My circuit board factory earns me 3.5 mil a day, I've got 3 S-class scanner modules, a well-organized base and a few small outposts, and I'm approaching the end of the "sixteen" storyline.

I did not expect to think much of the story additions, but the reactions of characters you've met to what you're trying to do as you approach your goal are actually pretty interesting. I'm digging it.

Still no frigate fuel blueprint, though.

Last edited:
I really like the default orange spec of the Exocraft so I likely won't change mine but still excited about the update because if we're getting exocraft customization then starship customization may be next.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I keep trying to play this game but man, the tutorial is like 50 years long and takes forever and is just kinda annoying :-\

Whereabouts are you in the tutorial? The tutorial section ends when you protect the first freighter and get it for nothing. From that point you can take your time and pick at each element. I tend to begin the base building and start the quests line there. Then I would continue the story campaign while also moving along the Atlas Path, returning to my base to continue that too.

I got this game after the next update. I can see the potential but it just takes too fucking long to do anything. My ship shouldn't need fuel, fair enough if solar panels have to charge but making fuel is fucking boring. Also survival mode changes one thing and that's make dying fucking annoying. I want to love the game and I couldn't wipe the smile off my fuckin face when I left the first planet. However big strides need to be made this game to stay interesting for me. I couldn't give a shit about getting a gun with more inventory space holy shit who cares. If they let me construct my own spaceships and freighter, actually have massive battles and speed up all the resource and blueprint bullshit I'll comeback. I just find it too grind based at the moment for no reward.

Handy Fake

I got this game after the next update. I can see the potential but it just takes too fucking long to do anything. My ship shouldn't need fuel, fair enough if solar panels have to charge but making fuel is fucking boring. Also survival mode changes one thing and that's make dying fucking annoying. I want to love the game and I couldn't wipe the smile off my fuckin face when I left the first planet. However big strides need to be made this game to stay interesting for me. I couldn't give a shit about getting a gun with more inventory space holy shit who cares. If they let me construct my own spaceships and freighter, actually have massive battles and speed up all the resource and blueprint bullshit I'll comeback. I just find it too grind based at the moment for no reward.
Upgrades.

A S class scanner means making a lot of money and also mining much easier.

I like the game, though I am doing normal mode, not survival mode.

svelte_grue

Neo Member
I'm also enjoying the 1.6.3 update. I play this game differently than other games, in that I'm much less goal-focused and I just kind of enjoy the experience of play; it's different than, say, Dragon's Age Inquisition, which I just completed. My experience with other games is more of a linear, achievement, goal experience. No Man's Sky seems genuinely open world.

iconmaster

Banned
Development Update 1.64

New community research and base parts. Fixes:

Fixed an issue where items could fail to display in the Quicksilver shop.
Fixed an issue where Community Research missions could be given deadlines in the distant future.
Fixed an issue where players could get trapped when getting out of some ship types.
As a temporary measure while investigating a crash on Xbox One X only, we have disabled terrain tessellation.

Fixed an issue where players could fail to be given the blueprints for Hydroponic Trays.
Fixed an issue where players could fail to be given the blueprints for the plants required by the Farmer.
Fixed an issue where players could fail to learn the Circuit Board blueprint at the correct time.
Fixed an issue where NPC missions might return to a building that had no NPCs in them.
Fixed an issue where players could fail to learn the Glass blueprint at the correct time.
Fixed an issue where players could fail to learn the Frigate Fuel blueprints at the correct time.

Missions from the Mission Board or planetary NPCs will now display their mission title on the Galaxy Map instead of their current objective, to help manage destinations when multiple missions are active.
Tessellation can now be enabled in the graphics options on PC.

Again:

Fixed an issue where players could fail to learn the Frigate Fuel blueprints at the correct time.

tenor.gif

scraz

I have a very old i7-930 @ 3.8Ghz, 12gb ddr3, 280x 3gb and a SSD that plays most multi platform games at high to medium at 50-60 FPS in 1080. I loaded the game up with basically everything set low and the performance was noticeably worse then when the NEXT patch launched. Is there some reason performance is so bad even in space stations?

iconmaster

Banned
I have a very old i7-930 @ 3.8Ghz, 12gb ddr3, 280x 3gb and a SSD that plays most multi platform games at high to medium at 50-60 FPS in 1080. I loaded the game up with basically everything set low and the performance was noticeably worse then when the NEXT patch launched. Is there some reason performance is so bad even in space stations?

Even when the visuals haven’t changed, No Man’s Sky may be doing more under the hood with procedural generation. I searched for some PC tweaks, see if any of this helps:

Last edited:

TimFL

Yeah I know, while those of us who understood it was a singleplayer game kept it alive for two years. I'm actually angry with Hello Games for folding like this. In a recent interview, Sean Murray actually said he'd changed is vision but 'they'll keep working on their vision here and there'. In other words, they catered to the complainers and are throwing scraps to the very people that kept the game relevant. That's why we haven't got more variety in building (something long term supporters have been asking for), haven't gotten a bigger variety of biomes (something long term supporters have been asking for) and have only ONE extra creature added (also something long term supporters have been asking for). Instead they've added a story, added multiplayer and added more weapon types. All things the complainers wanted.

This game was about exploration and loneliness (Sean's own words) and now it's neither.
What are you talking about? They hyped up online functionality (seeing other players) in interviews and even have it printed in an official PS magazine "shortly after launch we'll launch No Man's Sky Online where you can join your friends and play together". There is absolutely no denying that they had MP planned but failed to add it for launch day.
They didn't fold, it was talked about a gazillion times and they just now delivered with NEXT.

iconmaster

Banned
If they let me construct my own spaceships and freighter, actually have massive battles and speed up all the resource and blueprint bullshit I'll comeback. I just find it too grind based at the moment for no reward.

I sympathize, but I doubt the game will ever be streamlined to the degree you'd prefer. The grind is the game, for better or worse. I guess those of us who enjoy it are probably akin to the gamers who play Bus Simulator 18 -- our buses are just a little more sci-fi.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Evidently this guy knows something and he has a good enough reputation in the community to not risk it by lying:

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
^^ Not the only rumblings I've seen. And Hello Games themselves are hinting at something bigger in their latest update.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I sympathize, but I doubt the game will ever be streamlined to the degree you'd prefer. The grind is the game, for better or worse. I guess those of us who enjoy it are probably akin to the gamers who play Bus Simulator 18 -- our buses are just a little more sci-fi.

Yeah, it feels that way, but if you remove holding R2 to shoot the weapon, the game consists of staring at objects, 50% of the time on a planet that looks like shit.

I love flying around, but the material grind kills it for me. I feel like this could be the layer underneath an actual game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Give me more variety of buildings, more variety of creatures and a reason to explore planets and caves (cut and pasted from two years ago ...)

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Also, planets with multiple biomes.

I've always understood that would be difficult so my take is 'give me the same biomes but with different terrain. You could have a frozen forest, a frozen sea, endless planes of frost, mountains with ice caps, icy caves etc, all within the same biaome. The problem with NMS has always been the even spread of features. Yes you can walk for a while and find different creatures but you'll always see the same sights where ever you go. Forests need to be sporadic, over yonder, waiting to be explored. Mountains should be on the horizon, teasing the player to head towards them. When you land on a planet, one look around shows you what covers the entire surface. Exploration NEEDS those less than exciting places to make the different places feel worth investigating. Oh ... yeah, and stop throwing new assets away so cheaply. MAKE THEM RARE.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I've always understood that would be difficult so my take is 'give me the same biomes but with different terrain. You could have a frozen forest, a frozen sea, endless planes of frost, mountains with ice caps, icy caves etc, all within the same biaome. The problem with NMS has always been the even spread of features. Yes you can walk for a while and find different creatures but you'll always see the same sights where ever you go. Forests need to be sporadic, over yonder, waiting to be explored. Mountains should be on the horizon, teasing the player to head towards them. When you land on a planet, one look around shows you what covers the entire surface. Exploration NEEDS those less than exciting places to make the different places feel worth investigating. Oh ... yeah, and stop throwing new assets away so cheaply. MAKE THEM RARE.
Aye, this needs looking at. You get ringed planets in every system, for instance. Shouldn't be that way.

Incidentally there are rumours of procedural city generation since they employed that lad who had craeted an engine to do such a thing. We shall see though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Aye, this needs looking at. You get ringed planets in every system, for instance. Shouldn't be that way.

Incidentally there are rumours of procedural city generation since they employed that lad who had craeted an engine to do such a thing. We shall see though.

That would be fine if I could turn off every indication of other humans. This to me is now a multiplayer game and it's difficult to escape reminders of that. We need a 'singleplayer' mode now that removed the extra landing pads on Anomalies or The Atlas and also removes any messages. Make is so we can choose what we see and what we don't. Why are cities going to be interesting now? We've seen large structures and building collaborations everywhere.

TimFL

That would be fine if I could turn off every indication of other humans. This to me is now a multiplayer game and it's difficult to escape reminders of that. We need a 'singleplayer' mode now that removed the extra landing pads on Anomalies or The Atlas and also removes any messages. Make is so we can choose what we see and what we don't. Why are cities going to be interesting now? We've seen large structures and building collaborations everywhere.
There are toggles to change your games MP privacy settings. Removing the extra landing pads in anomalies is beyond nitpicking lmao.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There are toggles to change your games MP privacy settings. Removing the extra landing pads in anomalies is beyond nitpicking lmao.

Toggles don't hide everything and it's not nitpicking to be annoyed at reminders you are not alone. The whole point of NMS was to be a lone explorer exploring space, not a lone explorer trying to avoid other human beings. Hello Games catered to the haters and forgot the people that kept his game alive. This update needs to rectify that.

That's the last I'll discuss this because I got sick to death of explaining what NMS was to the haters when it released and I'm now getting sick to death of explaining what NMS was supposed to be now the haters have got their way.

Last edited:

TimFL

Toggles don't hide everything and it's not nitpicking to be annoyed at reminders you are not alone. The whole point of NMS was to be a lone explorer exploring space, not a lone explorer trying to avoid other human beings. Hello Games catered to the haters and forgot the people that kept his game alive. This update needs to rectify that.

That's the last I'll discuss this because I got sick to death of explaining what NMS was to the haters when it released and I'm now getting sick to death of explaining what NMS was supposed to be now the haters have got their way.
Still trying to deny the fact that MP was supposed to be in this game, I see.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where's the video :/

Yes, I'm annoyed too. He built it up on Twitter and then had a countdown on his channel suggesting it was to do with a NMS and the update. 60 minutes or so before it went live, he changed the title of the video. Then when it was live, it was just a recording of him reading his twitter comments, which took about 5 minutes. I unfollowed him on Twitter. The guy has got plenty of subs. He doesn't need to use these types of tactics. He'll just laugh it off though and pretend it was in the name of 'fun'.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Can't stand people like this who clickbait/spam bomb feeds to get subs. Grrrrr. Anyways, Hello Games is strongly hinting in their latest news update on their
website they have something pretty exciting coming our way for No Man's Sky.

drh1691

Neo Member
Well, I’m back playing again after a bit of time off from the game. I agree with the comments that NMS moves further away Fromm a single player experience with each update. I’m not too happy about that. Not that I’m against multiplayer being a part of NMS, but don’t Keep removing things that were doable in single player.

I have what I think is a good example here.

Maybe someone here remembers the exact situation, but I swear a few updates back, I don’t remember if it was before or afterwards NEXT, you could use the portals to get to the galactic center quicker

You could power up a portal, put in a random address and go through. If you ended way closer to the center of the galaxy you could just continue traveling like usual.

Today I found a portal and wanted to see how close it could get me to the center of my current galaxy. Today as soon as you go through a portal and come out in your new location the galactic map gets disabled because of “portal interference”. The transporter on the space station is disabled also. I’m not sure but I think you can’t summon your freighter either. This locks you out of warping anywhere until you go back through the portal to where you came from. This basically makes the portals useless. There may be a get-around in multiplayer, but if you are alone you’re out of luck.

Any ideas why this is so?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well, I’m back playing again after a bit of time off from the game. I agree with the comments that NMS moves further away Fromm a single player experience with each update. I’m not too happy about that. Not that I’m against multiplayer being a part of NMS, but don’t Keep removing things that were doable in single player.

I have what I think is a good example here.

Maybe someone here remembers the exact situation, but I swear a few updates back, I don’t remember if it was before or afterwards NEXT, you could use the portals to get to the galactic center quicker

You could power up a portal, put in a random address and go through. If you ended way closer to the center of the galaxy you could just continue traveling like usual.

Today I found a portal and wanted to see how close it could get me to the center of my current galaxy. Today as soon as you go through a portal and come out in

your new location the galactic map gets disabled because of “portal interference”. The transporter on the space station is disabled also. I’m not sure but I think you can’t summon your freighter either. This locks you out of warping anywhere until you go back through the portal to where you came from. This basically makes the portals useless. There may be a get-around in multiplayer, but if you are alone you’re out of luck.

Any ideas why this is so?

I think that was changed because people were abusing it rather than because of multiplayer. The journey to the centre actually meant something when the game first released. It wasn't something many people did so when someone did, it was seen as a real accomplishment and came with kudos. The next update is said to be big and is said to change things slightly. I'm also wondering whether they're going to introduce something that was suggested during its development, and that was things get more alien the closer to the centre you get. If they DO introduce that, disabling the portals in this way makes more sense.

It's just infuriating that those who bought the game at launch have only ever asked for simple additions such as more diversity in buildings, more diversity in creatures and reasons to explore caves and planets. Sean Murray himself recently said he'd changed his philosophy about the game in order to cater to a broader audience. The thing that bothered me most about that statement was the way he openly stated they'll still adding small things in line with their original vision when they can. For me, that comes across as 'we're catering to all those people who complained and throwing scraps to all those people who supported us from the beginning'. I see no other real interpretation of those sentiments.

drh1691

Neo Member
I think that was changed because people were abusing it rather than because of multiplayer. The journey to the centre actually meant something when the game first released. It wasn't something many people did so when someone did, it was seen as a real accomplishment and came with kudos. The next update is said to be big and is said to change things slightly. I'm also wondering whether they're going to introduce something that was suggested during its development, and that was things get more alien the closer to the centre you get. If they DO introduce that, disabling the portals in this way makes more sense.

It's just infuriating that those who bought the game at launch have only ever asked for simple additions such as more diversity in buildings, more diversity in creatures and reasons to explore caves and planets. Sean Murray himself recently said he'd changed his philosophy about the game in order to cater to a broader audience. The thing that bothered me most about that statement was the way he openly stated they'll still adding small things in line with their original vision when they can. For me, that comes across as 'we're catering to all those people who complained and throwing scraps to all those people who supported us from the beginning'. I see no other real interpretation of those sentiments.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense regarding the portals. Ive been playing NMS basically since day one. I’ve done the journey to the center several times. I’m into NMS mainly for the solitary experience. I like the fact that I’m exploring locations that no one may ever see. That way, if I ever come across something that someone else visited, it’s a big deal.

I do enjoy trying out the new stuff a bit after each big update but I always go back to just exploring. I just hope that I won’t have to rebuild my farms yet again after the next big update.

I also fully agree that we really need some reasons to explore, and some decent payoffs.

genuine NMS question - I know its just specualtion but do people think this game will continue over to ps5? or would they build a whole new game?

FranXico

genuine NMS question - I know its just specualtion but do people think this game will continue over to ps5? or would they build a whole new game?
If the PS5 is backwards compatible, it will continue being played there, of course.
But only if sony aren't stupid (not something I can really bet on these days).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A new free update is releasing next week for all players. We’ve called it The Abyss, because it focuses on some of the eerier elements of No Man’s Sky, in keeping with the theme of this season.

Mood will do me. I'm hoping for more reasons to explore but I'll settle for that if it's well done. Caves, nights and deserted space stations could become much more interesting. Will they? Who knows but they haven't satisfied me yet.

Top Bottom