• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

andreutas

Neo Member
Ok, I have played NMS for 500+ hours (before next), so i know all the "mechanics", but how do I get the blueprint for building regular glass in NEXT? Have been to manufacturing facilities and taken multiple quest from npc:s etc. Am I just unlucky or what? How did you get the glass blueprint?

Banned
Is the audio stutter when entering hyperspace fixed yet? A small detail, I know, but it's something that wasn't happening before NEXT and now it is and it bugs the hell out of me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, I have played NMS for 500+ hours (before next), so i know all the "mechanics", but how do I get the blueprint for building regular glass in NEXT? Have been to manufacturing facilities and taken multiple quest from npc:s etc. Am I just unlucky or what? How did you get the glass blueprint?

Just continue the base building quests and you'll eventually get it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A little interesting snippet just popped up on Reddit about the new experimental patch. It's only one person saying this but it appears your ship now spawns on a landing pad when you portal back to your base. This is a simple thing but very welcome.

iconmaster

Banned
Do we all get the same planet for the Community Research event? What was the name of it if you visited? Just curious.

Banned
Is the audio stutter when entering hyperspace fixed yet? A small detail, I know, but it's something that wasn't happening before NEXT and now it is and it bugs the hell out of me.

Answer: Yes, it still fucking is.

Man, I wish NEXT had been an optional patch. I was perfectly happy with NMS.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Community Research event is cool, it definitely brings players together. Wish there were a way to transition from “orb multiplayer” to a full multiplayer session with player characters (even if it’s just with one other player). It’s become awkward how siloed the two experiences are.

I did the first phase and got my 2000 quicksilver; but I haven’t found a single additional hex core since Polo broadened the search scope to the whole galaxy. Am I supposed to be looking in certain types of systems, or..?

I am guessing,, but it felt like I got 80% Hex cubes on my buried technology. Overall, I think I pulled about 45 or so since then and got the helmet.

iconmaster

Banned
I am guessing,, but it felt like I got 80% Hex cubes on my buried technology. Overall, I think I pulled about 45 or so since then and got the helmet.

Okay, seems to be what others are saying too: you just go about digging up buried tech and some of it will be hex cores. The odds seem to vary quite a bit. Could be some bugs involved too of course.

Probably RNG and bad rolls. I haven't found any logic to it, but my instincts have been that once I get one Hex on a planet then I keep searching that planet.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Do you keep the mission active when you're not getting hex cores? Pretty sure the mission must be active, but I might be rambling.

iconmaster

Banned
Do you keep the mission active when you're not getting hex cores? Pretty sure the mission must be active, but I might be rambling.

Yeah, it's my active mission. I probably made it sound like more than it is -- I only tried a couple planets in "phase 2." I wasn't finding much buried tech in general is all.

Handy Fake

New stuff Community Event rewards up in the PC experimental branch update, apparently. New helmet looks very smart.

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah, it's my active mission. I probably made it sound like more than it is -- I only tried a couple planets in "phase 2." I wasn't finding much buried tech in general is all.

Welp, put much more time in and found 50 buried tech modules but no more hex cores. Checked to make sure I had an active connection to the discovery servers.

No idea. Got a bunch of new base stuff though!

Edit: looking at Twitter, this seems to be a common issue with the expanded phase of the event.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
1.59 is available for the PS4:

• No Mans Sky version 1.59 fixed a number of crashes, including one in the inventory UI.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause discoveries to stop saving.
  • Fixed an issue where players with certain numbers of inventory slots would have those slots hidden by other UI elements.
  • No Man’s Sky update 1.59 addressed a bug that could cause Community Research portals not to return players to the correct galaxy after mission completion. A recovery fix to return people to the correct galaxy is in progress.
  • Fixed a number of small text issues in the first Community Research mission.
  • Addressed an issue where the starship was unable to land after changing missions while facing a mission marker.
  • Fixed an issue where players with corrupt saves would be recovered but have no ship (please note – this instance involves instances where the ship was the corrupt data, and so ships have been restored to default).

Last edited:
I found this planet and thought I'd share it. This is the filter the planet has. The system its in is completely abandoned, along with an abandoned Space Station. It even has a unicorn dinosaur.

20180902215538_1.jpg

20180902215555_1.jpg

20180902220037_1.jpg

20180902215844_1.jpg

20180902220056_1.jpg

FranXico

I found this planet and thought I'd share it. This is the filter the planet has. The system its in is completely abandoned, along with an abandoned Space Station. It even has a unicorn dinosaur.

20180902215538_1.jpg

20180902215555_1.jpg

20180902220037_1.jpg

20180902215844_1.jpg

20180902220056_1.jpg
That's not in Euclid galaxy, is it?

That system sounds very rare. Maybe there's some special treasure there.

Last edited:
That's not in Euclid galaxy, is it?

That system sounds very rare. Maybe there's some special treasure there.

It's Euclid Galaxy. Unlike the Community planet, even though the space station is abandoned, the portal terminal on it still works.

I'd add that even though the stations, outposts, and trading posts are all empty, I saw another ship flying from one planet to another. It was odd.

Last edited:
maybe someone can answer this - is it worth exploring a planet further than a reasonable distance from where I land / landing in a few spots relatively close together? like should i fly to the opposite side of a planet and it'll have all new things or after i've explored a bit just pick up and move on. thanks in advance

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They have also did a sneak peek of the upcoming support for dynamic terrain tessellation on consoles (Xbox One X, PS4, and PS4 Pro)... These devs are supporting the game really really well :D.

Kadayi

Banned
maybe someone can answer this - is it worth exploring a planet further than a reasonable distance from where I land / landing in a few spots relatively close together? like should i fly to the opposite side of a planet and it'll have all new things or after i've explored a bit just pick up and move on. thanks in advance

It depends what you're looking for really. If you're looking for things like Drop-pods or manufacturing facilities then yes it's a good idea to once you've gone over a particular area and exhausted any discoveries to up sticks and fly to another part, however, if you're looking for fauna then it's more a case of exploring different location types (caves, seas/lakes, prairie & hills) s and ensuring you cover them all at night as some creatures only appear then.

Mr Hyde

I´m trying to find a scientist but he´s nowhere to be found. I´m worried I´ve encountered a glitch. I have built the science terminal, gotten the quest to find scientist (actually it´s two quests) but he´s vanished. I´ve searched three different galaxies and their space stations but no luck. I don´t remember it being this difficult finding a scientist pre-NEXT. Finding the Overseer was no problems at all. Anyone else experienced this?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I´m trying to find a scientist but he´s nowhere to be found. I´m worried I´ve encountered a glitch. I have built the science terminal, gotten the quest to find scientist (actually it´s two quests) but he´s vanished. I´ve searched three different galaxies and their space stations but no luck. I don´t remember it being this difficult finding a scientist pre-NEXT. Finding the Overseer was no problems at all. Anyone else experienced this?

Have you got the quest active? I'm assuming you have so try deleting the science station and rebuilding it in your freighter, BUT in a different solar system. If that works just do the first quest and then relocate it back at your base. Hit X to bring back the scientist.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Have you got the quest active? I'm assuming you have so try deleting the science station and rebuilding it in your freighter, BUT in a different solar system. If that works just do the first quest and then relocate it back at your base. Hit X to bring back the scientist.

I have the quest active but no marker. I tried deleting the terminal also and rebuild it my base but that didn´t work either. Haven´t aquired a freighter yet but gonna try once I do. Is it always like this with the scientist? The Overseer and armorer doesn´t seem to be this bad.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have the quest active but no marker. I tried deleting the terminal also and rebuild it my base but that didn´t work either. Haven´t aquired a freighter yet but gonna try once I do. Is it always like this with the scientist? The Overseer and armorer doesn´t seem to be this bad.

It actually happened to me with one of the hired hands. I can't remember which one it was but eventually I just spoke to a random person on a space station and got the person I needed. If you follow the quest line you'll get a freighter quickly. You are tasked with defending it on entering the system. Don't be too worried, it's an easy freighter to defend and then you can take it for nothing.

Mr Hyde

It actually happened to me with one of the hired hands. I can't remember which one it was but eventually I just spoke to a random person on a space station and got the person I needed. If you follow the quest line you'll get a freighter quickly. You are tasked with defending it on entering the system. Don't be too worried, it's an easy freighter to defend and then you can take it for nothing.

Okay, seems that I have to just walk around talking to people then. I´ve aquired the freighter now, gonna build some there and see what it leads too. It´s so annoying when you encounter glitches like this, drags the game down. I´ve been doing so fine up until now, building and exploring, just waiting to get my hands on the exocraft, and then this happens. I hope it will resolve itself with me just doing other tasks for the time being, but damn, this is a major drag. Thanks for the help anyways, appreciate it.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I didn’t realize we didn’t have ground tessallation yet on PS4. I really looked for it and decided it was there. Shows what I know!

We don’t normally do this, but here is a sneak peek, the team are also currently working on:

• Fixing an issue that prevents shared bases from downloading while exploring.
  • Adding new attack behaviours to the Biological Horrors…
  • Enabling terrain tessellation on PS4 (base and Pro) and Xbox One X. New dynamic tessellation enables detailed terrain height maps without sacrificing performance.
  • New, custom options for body shape have been added to the appearance modifier. This gives players far greater control over how they appear in the universe, increasing the diversity and variety of characters for all races
  • Based on feedback from the community, we’ve added the ability for players on PC to set Hotkey Bindings to rapidly access options in the quick menu. This allows players to bind commonly used functions such as switching to third person, using their torch, or entering photo mode to number keys (or those mice that have loads of buttons).

Mr Hyde

Finally got my Scientist. Thought I was gonna go crazy but then I just randomly talked to a Korvax on a Space Station and boom, there he was. Incredibly frustrating nevertheless, I hate when I have to waste my time on such bullshit. Anyways, now I can finally continue my base building. Have been doing a couple of side missions, never knew they existed until now. Guess they must have come with Next, otherwise I have to get me some new glasses, lol.

I died also for the first time, by some irritating biological horrors who crawled up from the ground and destroyed me. And lo and behold, even Hello Games couldn´t resist the opportunity to include the famous Dark Souls - "get back your gear by going to the place you died" - mechanic. So boring. Must every game nowadays have this shit? My Boltcaster was also destroyed in the process so I just loaded up a new save and avoided the monsters altogether. Gonna get me a new gun, I saw a B Class Rifle that looked like it could muster up some decent firepower so I´m gonna save up for that. Only need another million. 22 slots also so I should be covered for a long time with upgrades.

Mr Hyde

Been involved in a lot of space combat now, been ganked up by several space pirates and barely escaped with my life. I need a new ship with some serious firepower and sturdy shields. I just bought a new rifle, B Class - 22 slots with damage and scanning improved - so I should be covered for a good amount of time now. Named him Jack the Ripper, so I hope he can live up to his name, lol. It´s annoying though that you can´t move over any upgrades. Lost both my boltcaster and wave regulator. Hello Games must fix that shit.

For the time being, I´m just gonna horde and build. I´ve been flying around galaxies now doing quest (thank god for the teleporter) and it´s time to settle down and continue with various side missions my base. The exocraft vehicles is still number 1 priority but there are so much other things going around so I´m jumping to this place and that. I´ve got OCD to so whenever I see a alien artifact, subterreanean relics, buried tech and all sorts of goodies I MUST HAVE THEM.

iconmaster

Banned
New stuff on experimental, September 12.

Points of interest for me:

• Restored the ability to use keys/buttons on the Quick Transfer inventory popup.

I'm not 100% sure what this means, but it sounds like Hello Games is reversing course on the new drag-and-drop inventory management. While that has allowed for more precise operations (I want to move 40 of these rather than 250), that precision was rarely needed IME -- and the added cursoring around was much less efficient. There's lots of room for improvement here.

• Introduced a number of optimisations to the audio system and fixed some audio glitches.

A fix for hyperspace and warp audio stutter perhaps?

• Added the ability to untag markers.
  • Fixed an issue that caused tagged markers to vanish when entering Exocraft.
I wondered if hiding your tags once you got back in your Roamer was a deliberate design choice, but seems not. It made finding buried items a little tedious, as you had to relocate your destination continually.

• Improved the animations of various alien creatures (particularly those with an above average number of legs).
Neat!

Snoopycat

Banned
Still no fix for the living glass bug? That seriously sucks. I can't progress any further because I don't have the living glass formula.You'd think that when there's a bug as serious as this it would be one of the first things they'd fix, but nope. So my original 70 hours game save is ruined. I will nevver buy another game from them because of this.

Been involved in a lot of space combat now, been ganked up by several space pirates and barely escaped with my life. I need a new ship with some serious firepower and sturdy shields. I just bought a new rifle, B Class - 22 slots with damage and scanning improved - so I should be covered for a good amount of time now. Named him Jack the Ripper, so I hope he can live up to his name, lol. It´s annoying though that you can´t move over any upgrades. Lost both my boltcaster and wave regulator. Hello Games must fix that shit.

For the time being, I´m just gonna horde and build. I´ve been flying around galaxies now doing quest (thank god for the teleporter) and it´s time to settle down and continue with various side missions my base. The exocraft vehicles is still number 1 priority but there are so much other things going around so I´m jumping to this place and that. I´ve got OCD to so whenever I see a alien artifact, subterreanean relics, buried tech and all sorts of goodies I MUST HAVE THEM.

I don't know how many units you have, but finding a tier 3 fighter with the tech slots will give you enough firepower to take out any pirate threat and mow down those freighter attacks. Get 3 S upgrades for your photon on them. I actually have a tier 2 A class with three S upgrades to photon in its inventory and then another in its tech slot (only 6 tech slots). It gets like 1791 damage rating. I have a tier 3 with 12 tech slots and the three S upgrades on photon. I also put at least A upgrades on shield. You can take on 3-5 pirates. You do need to drag out the tougher pirates through asteroid fields. If you drag multiple pirates through a field then you'll splice them up into singles or groups of 2 at most.

20180911215619_1.jpg

The 1791 damage tier 2 A class.

Mr Hyde

but finding a tier 3 fighter with the tech slots will give you enough firepower to take out any pirate threat and mow down those freighter attacks. Get 3 S upgrades for your photon on them. I actually have a tier 2 A class with three S upgrades to photon in its inventory and then another in its tech slot (only 6 tech slots). It gets like 1791 damage rating. I have a tier 3 with 12 tech slots and the three S upgrades on photon. I also put at least A upgrades on shield. You can take on 3-5 pirates. You do need to drag out the tougher pirates through asteroid fields. If you drag multiple pirates through a field then you'll splice them up into singles or groups of 2 at most.

Okay, thanks for the tip. Appreciate it. I only have a crappy C-class yet but I´m still fairly early in to the game. Been mostly building a base and getting all necessary upgrades for farming materials. Gonna play more this weekend and try to expand on my space weaponry.

It's really a matter of how many units and nanites you have. The easiest option early on is having an exotic ship show up thats 10 mil or less and grabbing it. Those have plenty of firepower, but tend to lack inventory space.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It looks like the next community challenge is combat orientated. I'm actually pretty pissed off by Hello Games. They just seem to waste ideas and new content by making it common to find. For instance, most of the new things you can now find on planets like the crystals and data squares could have been made rarer and put in caves. I just can't believe how they don't seem to have a clue how to inspire people to explore. Here's another example from the latest data mining. A new robot companion. Why not make it a new blue-print you can buy and then make using rare materials only found on barren planets? On no, that would take too much thought. Just give it away as a community prize:

44660381381_51a94097dc_b.jpg

44610968682_2a3cdfeba4_h.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

30 hours in and I still haven´t gotten my exocraft. Hello Games sure have drawn out this particular segment because I cannot remember it taking this goddamn long. The good news is I´m having a blast with the game, so the vehicles will come eventually. I haven´t touched on my Freighter yet either, but I´m gathering resources so that I can build and expand it. Looks like you can get missions from there too, so it will be fun to see how that works.

My base is coming along really well too. I have the structure sort of mapped inside my head and the plan is too build the biggest and most absurd base that I can think of. But it is hard since I don´t have all the parts yet and I don´t know which parts Hello Games have added or removed. But it´s going to be huge and tall and built around a minor settlement. There are so many things to do and collect in this game that most of the time I don´t even know where to begin. It can be a little frustrating sometimes, but it´s fun to think of how far this game has come since its bare bones release.

I´m setting up camp now in a Korvax-system and I´m planning on doing the same on a Gek and VyKeen-controlled systems, so I can swiftly jump between galaxies and learn the language. I need to get on with the story too, but there is always some shit that comes in the way, build this and find that, kill him and gather that. I need new ships, guns , armor, upgrades, money, nanites. Feels like a neverending game, that you can play for all eternity to come.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The great news for me is photo mode is back to its former glory. Many people may not have noticed anything changed because they're basically just taking screenshots but when you take the time to set up a shot, the mood, the angles, the framing ect, you begin to see how your options are being diminished.

MaKTaiL

Did they change the ending to this game with this update? The original ending was pretty insulting IIRC.
A fully fledged 30h story quest was added on Atlas Rises update last year which grants you a "new" ending (it's basically almost the same but it has meaning and a purpose now).

Top Bottom