• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

I am guessing either a system that's got a dim sun and full of horrors or perhaps spelunking.

I've been getting a lot of screen tearing since the last patch. It's rather unplayable for me right now. Hopefully it's something they've caught and is fixed in the next patch. I should report it but I always figure it's been reported.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am guessing either a system that's got a dim sun and full of horrors or perhaps spelunking.

I've been getting a lot of screen tearing since the last patch. It's rather unplayable for me right now. Hopefully it's something they've caught and is fixed in the next patch. I should report it but I always figure it's been reported.

I have a feeling it might be disappointing. Look at this Tweet and tell me what you see ...

iconmaster

Banned
Ah, yeah. It's going to be the underwater focus they hinted at in their survey.

It's not the top of my want list but I wouldn't say no to a new submersible exocraft for getting through oceans at high speed.

Btw, a couple other things I remember coming up in that survey were city planets (!) and replacing multiplayer orbs with full character models. (I cast my vote for the former IIRC.)

Last edited:

TimFL

I hope it's an update that heavily focuses on exploration. Enough with the base building parts, quests and so on. I'd settle for underwater stuff but I'd prefer space stuff like space whales, dead planets, being able to land on asteroids and so on.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ah, yeah. It's going to be the underwater focus they hinted at in their survey.

It's not the top of my want list but I wouldn't say no to a new submersible exocraft for getting through oceans at high speed.

Btw, a couple other things I remember coming up in that survey were city planets (!) and replacing multiplayer orbs with full character models. (I cast my vote for the former IIRC.)

We don't really need a hint do we. Just look at that Tweet with waves at the top and bubbles rising from the word Abyss. It's either going to be diving equipment or subs, with added cave elements and places to explore. I really hope that isn't the complete focus.

Cities I'm not interested in. It's already a 'busy' galaxy, far from the promised experience we got at the beginning. The last thing I want is for it to be even more 'busy'. To boldly go where NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE. It's changed from 2010 Space Odyssey to Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow, I'm really looking forward to this. Love Subnautica, hopefully Hello Games manage to capture some of its magical underwater atmosphere.

TimFL

We don't really need a hint do we. Just look at that Tweet with waves at the top and bubbles rising from the word Abyss. It's either going to be diving equipment or subs, with added cave elements and places to explore. I really hope that isn't the complete focus.

Cities I'm not interested in. It's already a 'busy' galaxy, far from the promised experience we got at the beginning. The last thing I want is for it to be even more 'busy'. To boldly go where NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE. It's changed from 2010 Space Odyssey to Guardians Of The Galaxy.
Cities could add variety though. They should go with their original premise, most planets are desolate and empty with the occasional gem that is lush and extremely rare systems with alien societies. But knowing Hello Games, they'll plaster Cities all over every solar system to celebrate them.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Cities could add variety though. They should go with their original premise, most planets are desolate and empty with the occasional gem that is lush and extremely rare systems with alien societies. But knowing Hello Games, they'll plaster Cities all over every solar system to celebrate them.

It would be fine if they made singleplayer a completely separate mode and returned the Atlas and Anomaly to ONE landing pad. I don't want any indication of other people playing the game AT ALL. And like you said, knowing Hello Games they'll just plaster them everywhere. Rare is something they clearly understand.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Here's what was datamined a while ago:

Efficient Water Jet "Makes your jetpack cheap to use underwater" (I would have preferred to read 'faster' there)

Oxygen Rerouter "Reroutes oxygen from the life support system to the breathable bits if you run out of oxygen underwater"

Emergency Life Support System

Humboldt Drive "A thermally-efficient, inversion-proof reactor engine capable of powering the Nautilon even at extreme depths.Must be kept fueled with regular injections of some fuel"

Alluring Specimen (UI_FISHFIEND_POD_NAME_L)

Armoured Clam (UI_SHOOTCLAM_LABEL)

Abyssal Horror (UI_GRABBYPLANT_NAME_L)

Clam Pearl "A fancy clam pearl"

Fancy bead

Fish Core "A thing from the fish fiend"

Hypnotic Eye (UI_EYEBALL_NAME_L) "A spooky staring eye from a grabby bastard."

Vent Gem (UI_VENTGEM_NAME_L) "A lovely gem from one of them there lava vents."

Submarine Fuel "Fuel cell for a sub"

Cyto-Phosphate (Found from underwater plants, Organic Compond)

UI_SUMMON_SUBMARINE Summon Nautilon Submarine

BLD_GARAGE_SUB_NAME NAUTILON CHAMBER "An advanced, fully-airlocked docking station for the Nautilon submarine."

UI_SUMMON_HOVERSHIP Summon Dragonfly Exocraft

BLD_GARAGE_H_NAME_L Dragonfly Geobay "An underground secure parking facility for the Dragonfly light Exocraft."

UI_ABOVEWATER_WARNING Must Be Constructed Underwater

BLD_WATERPLANT_1_DESCRIPTION CURLY CORAL "A delicate marine invertebrate, cultivated for potted growth. Its distinctive looping structure gives it an attractive whimsical appearance."

BLD_WATERPLANT_2_DESCRIPTION AQUATIC CRYSTAL "An eye-catching cluster of crystallised oceanic minerals. These crystals grow in a shard-like structure, and feature an unusual marbled colouration."

BLD_WATERPLANT_3_DESCRIPTION CANDELABRA BLOOM "A striking plant featuring luminescent, orb-shaped flowers. This domestic variety has adapted to absorb and process oxygen from any source, whether growing on land or underwater."

BLD_BARNACLE_DESCRIPTION "A tenacious arthropod, naturally found encrusting stationary or slow-moving underwater objects. This variety can be encouraged to affix itself to a chosen position, adding an aged marine appearance to bases."

If you're interested in reading about other things like 'cooking' go here: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Datamining

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
Can we have shootout battles with aliens yet? Honestly, whats the fucking point in buying a gun worth 30 mill credits when you just use it on rocks and generic robots?

I want to love this game but I get bored out of my mind the moment I have to create metal sheets, collect carbon, dust particles and got knows what else just so I can create fuel to move my ship an inch.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Mmmm ... From last June. It seems this update has been teased for quite some time:

DqOiOE_U4AAqGzB.jpg

iconmaster

Banned
Here we go...

Update page with patch notes: https://www.nomanssky.com/abyss-update/

"predator fish rumoured to be larger than Starships" o_O

Minor stuff:

"Disabled censorship in text chat between friends" -- the true abyssal horror revealed

"Added more options to the inventory transfer menu" -- I hope this means more hotkeys.

"Made minor improvements to the indoor camera" -- I'm probably hoping for too much, but maybe this will fix the issue where trying to refuel hydroponics trays will frequently "bounce" the camera back out to player view.

"Improved the return marker on portals the player has travelled through" -- I bet Hello Games realized that on community research missions, with hundreds of bases and communication modules being set up on the same planet, it's basically impossible to find the portal icon in the noise.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Abyss was still downloading (over 5GB!) during last night's play session, but I proved out a cool trick I'd read about elsewhere. Allow me to share:

How to keep your fleet swimming in fuel

Di-hydrogen is always the bottleneck in crafting more fuel for your frigate expeditions. But you can generate di-hydrogen (I'm gonna just say "di-H" from here) thanks to a curious feature of di-H jelly.

Di-H jelly requires 40 di-H to craft; but if you then break it down in a refiner (I used a larger refiner, I think medium refiners work too) it will produce 50 di-H. Yeah, weird. But it works.

So, here's the very simple process for producing unlimited di-H: collect enough di-H to craft a jelly. Make the jelly, then break it down. Rinse and repeat as long as you like. Pretty soon you'll be breaking down 5 jellies at once. As your inventory starts to fill, ship a batch of di-H off to your freighter; but keep enough on hand to continue the process.

Breaking down the jellies only takes a few seconds, so you'll soon have enough for hundreds of tons of frigate fuel.

Then the bottleneck becomes tritium...

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Enjoying the underwater stuff a lot more than I expected. The new environments and ocean life are fairly breathtaking.

Can't wait to see what these guys do next.

Still really loving this game and the free updates.

No Man's Sky is my zen game. I play it in the morning or at night. I can seek out strange planets or look to make profit. The other week I decided to build a tower base on a good weather planet with natural giant circular geoshapes.

Just a giant, strange universe to explore.

20181126093810-1.jpg

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Anyone playing this today? Started it a few years back and didn’t really click. Seems like a lot if content has dropped.

Top Bottom