• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No offense to realistic games, but stylized games just crap all over them in every way.

Rickyiez

I can tell you that....

This
d40dc524d80ef56dcb37b9e82c9d79e9.gif

And even this
HZ7B.gif

Will age better than this...
e25228b5b8396beb4e18e047b82ac228.gif

I wish Capcom would ease on the face scans with their games.

Don't really agree to this too . The DMC3 gif already aged badly and looks cringy . Vergil is also not a very good example . How about this

DMC4 already looks dated AF in comparison , but either way both are still very stylized

anab0lic36

I remember growing up as a kid, with visuals making huge advancements from year to year, it was clear to me and my buddy's that it would be very likely in our lifetimes, that graphics would get to the point where it was like real life, and how cool we thought that would be! And now here I am, where we have gotten quite close to that point and I find myself much more attracted to some of the beautiful pixel art games that have been made recently or games that are like cartoons brought to life.

Why exactly? I think there is two main reasons for this....

1) While The models and textures have come a long way to replicate real life, I find the animations to be lacking , which makes the player models look like robotic mannequins and it gives them this 'creepy' look. Especially when they do some kind of cutscene, where the facial animations and body language are under closer scrutiny, it look so artificial... especially the eyes 'the window into the soul'...they all look souless. When you are going for an ultra realistic style anything that doesn't meet that standard is going to be in stark contrast and look out of place. Now at the completely opposite end of the spectrum you have pixel art games, that due to their ultra simplistic nature, leave a lot open to interpretation by the player, and often times your imagination paints a far better picture than the 3d modeller/animator is able to achieve.

2) You are seeing 'realistic graphics' in every day life as you go about your day, or in videos, photos and films etc... what you don't see so frequently are the wonderfully unique creations from great artists minds.... which can be a more exotic a treat to the eyes. Ultra realistic tends to have a more muted colour pallet too, with its earthy browns and greens it just looks less vibrant and dull.

I think its why I'm so often drawn to Japanese games, they don't try to imitate reality too closely with their artstyles nor do they do the same with their gameplay mechanics, there is more creative expression. Ultimately, I don't come to gaming for what can be gotten in the real world.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

That is the same style as RE2r and it's not stylized. If anything, it's hyper-realistic or it wouldn't be uglier than their real life counterparts.

Stylized is not "they literally look like real people cosplaying as DMC characters" which is what DMC5 is. This is what happens when you stylize real life

io0K2vC.png

When the new Jill was casted, and people complained because she wasn't as good looking as Julia Voth, other people said "you're angry because she doesn't look like an anime character"
Anime character:

fKMqVeV.png

Last edited:
A lot of the realistic examples people are using in here they use like the most cherry picked awful screenshots, or just really bad graphical settings or something. Like I've seen games screen capped I'm literally currently playing and they look worse here.

Every game is stylised. Even photorealistic ones.

If you notice any game to have consistent art style, like you can recognise game from any random screenshot without knowing the name, it is stylised.

If every game was photorealistic, there would be no way to differentiate them.

Top Bottom