• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest For The Wicked Showcase live 9AM PDT | 12PM EST | 5PM GMT | 6PM

Bartski

Gold Member
Is there an Easy difficulty?
yoo wen GIF

bender

What time is it?
Just finished watching. I never played it but the verticality kind of reminds me of Hob. The visuals are lovely as to be expected. The map being handcrafted is a big plus but RNG loot (even with their spin on the tier system) seems counter the type of combat the game is offering. It reminds me a bit of NIOH and as much I wanted to enjoy that system, it quickly grew tiresome and makes me appreciate games where everything is handcrafted and everything has a purpose. Combat doesn't look all that interesting outside of magic. And they cap off the presentation with chopping trees and gathering resources which is a massive turnoff for me.

Terenty

So you die and respawn,but the enemies stay dead? Not sure how it works, what prevents you from abusing this system? Is there some kind of penalty?

Graphically looks great and the combat looks tactical and challenging, but it kinda felt...barebones. All you do is run around killing shit and open chests basically. Hopefully there's more to it than that

Zannegan

There's some really cool ideas in here. Their camera is pretty clever, and I like the way they handle gear where certain colors aren't just inherently better.

Soft classes concerns me a little though. Usually means every character feels the same.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No random dungeon layouts? Pass.

Start watching at the 1:20:00 mark at a boss fight. Game makers basically reading off a script as if no gamers have ever played a video game before.

KXVXII9X

Instant Day 1 for me! Moon Studios is a gem among the industry. I love how this game is taking the better parts from both Souls like and Diablo while leaving stuff like enemies respawning after death. Doesn't look like a mind numbing ARPG, but doesn't look insanely difficult either. Don't even get me started on the art and sound direction...

Exentryk

Looks decent. The artstyle is too dark and depressing, but might be able to look past it. The combat seems good, but I would like more extravagant moves which I didn't see. If the combat is just basic melee attacks with a few magic spells, then it would be boring.

Given this is made by Ori devs though, I'll definitely give this a crack regardless.

Fredrik

I agree to a certain point. Randomized loot has sort of become a staple for this genre, but sometimes I feel like the genre itself needs a shakeup. At least Elden Ring also had it's own puzzles, traps, secrets etc. to spice things up, but I'm trying really hard not to compare a game of that scope to a game like this. It's just unfair lol.

One of this biggest shakeups I've been seeing lately with newer ARPGs is the addition of a roll dodge, and wasd controls being the main form of input instead of clicks. It took a while, but I finally think the influence of games like Xmen Legends and Marvel UA finally reached other, newer devs in the genre.
Yeah I’m allergic to cursor click movement, I think direct WASD/stick controls seems perfect for this.

The camera is static in rotation. Didn’t pay attention, was there some twin-stick controls in there for aiming magic?
That would be great. One of the most underrated games lately is The Ascent, I think it controls like an absolute dream. If they can get something like that in there, movement with left stick, aim with right, then it would be perfection.

In general I don’t think the game will move the genre forward but it seems fantastic and that’s enough. Similar to Ori, it didn’t change the genre, it was classic metroidvania. But the big thing there, for both games, was the story-telling and visuals, they’re still at the very top of the genre there.

Terenty

Like every other action RPG and souls game and gaming in general?
There is a story too, and character creation, exploration, crafting, upgrading, home building.
The game looks awesome imo, one of my most wanted this year.
What's wrong with that?
I guess them comparing the game to Zelda made me think the world would be more interactive with picking things up, dungeons, traps, maybe light traversal puzzles etc., smth to spice up going around killing stuff and looting.

Then again maybe it is in the game and we haven't seen it yet

Fredrik

I guess them comparing the game to Zelda made me think the world would be more interactive with picking things up, dungeons, traps, maybe light traversal puzzles etc., smth to spice up going around killing stuff and looting.

Then again maybe it is in the game and we haven't seen it yet
Missed the Zelda talk but they talked about having world interactions and I assume you have the usual roleplaying quests too, I think it looks and sounds like a souls game with a more top down view and that makes me excited. And you have the crafting and house building and evolving city and all that side stuff too. I think it all sounds lovely tbh, will be there day 1 on early access.

Top Bottom