• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Xbox fan should be hurt by Xbox expanding to more devices only the trolls & warriors will be hurt

onQ123

So many franchises would die in the coming years if Xbox tried to rely on Xbox consoles alone .

Devs & publishers need the confidence that their hard work & money is not being wasted creating games or the game quality will get lower & lower so be thankful that Xbox games will have a backup plan.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Goodnight warrior
Im Kurt.

Kurt Cobain GIF by Nirvana

Topher

Gold Member
Fans of the console would be understandably disappointed if Microsoft's decisions led, ultimately, to the end of the device. If it were just a matter of "expanding to more devices" then sure, but there is an ecosystem at stake here. I think most of the fans want Xbox consoles to be an ongoing concern and this could be a threat to that.

Last edited:
Fans of the console would be understandably disappointed if Microsoft's decisions led, ultimately, to the end of the device. If it were just a matter of "expanding to more devices" then sure, but there is an ecosystem at stake here. I think most of the fans want Xbox consoles to be an ongoing concern and this could be a threat to that.
Pretty much this. Fans of the ecosystem want it to continue to exist both in terms of dedicated hardware and dedicated games or access to games. This is potentially a risk to that reality persisting.

RickMasters

now tell it to the PS5 bros who are butthurt "their" games are available on PC.
This. And the ones still arguing the case for why people on PC should have to wait a year for their “left overs” as they like to call those games when it suits them. Not words they use when they want these games to win a game of the award with Geoff keily though coming out on PS for the first time round though. The hypocrisy…..

Crayon

Don't deny people a little grief. They will get over it because it really isn't going to affect the day to day. But in the meantime I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should feel.

The online presence ms created had a lot of people roped in to varying degrees. You have to take into account how some people are going to feel about participating in that. This thing about porting their games has more downstream fallout than just who gets to play what.

Last edited:

onQ123

Games not selling at all is a bigger threat to Xbox ecosystem than games going to PS & Nintendo though.

bitbydeath

The worry isn’t about games going to more platforms, the worry is about the eradication of Xbox and those individuals gaming back catalogues.

Even if they announce more hardware coming you know it’s still on the way out as more people will/already are jumping ship, leaving them with even poorer numbers than Xbox Series.

DavidGzz

The games, if good, would be fine either way. This is just MS being greedy and smart. Making even more off of Sony console exclusive people.

I was thinking on this after listening a buch of xbox fans crying in twitter.

how important are these people to a brand?

if you have 10 people and only 2 are this kind of fan, well they are irrelevant in volumen BUT they are probably the vocal minority, they are the ones buying the games, spending the more money and time in the ecosystem and of course they will evangelize and pass on the "love" for the brand to their children. (probably there is a marketing term about it).

so yeah, of course only warriors and fanboys are going to feel hurt and betrayed because the consequence of this decision is basically the dead of the Xbox brand. (as a console).

Matsuchezz

I think Xbox as a console will die. They will expand on several devices and will sell more games than if let them be exclusive to the console. I do not like their offerings but those who do will buy the games. And that is fine.

onQ123

you can play those games on the PS now in addition to whatever sony puts out.
Here is the real option going forward:

Xbox doesn't expand to other devices: kid with Xbox not getting future xbox games because Xbox games don't sell enough to justify the games existence

Xbox games being multi platform: kid with Xbox getting new xbox games because the sales across more devices justify the Xbox games.

Mr.Phoenix

While I get that everyone's focus is on Xbox right now, I think the real issue is being overlooked.

Ok, so Xbox is dead. If they start releasing games on the PS5, their hardware sales will completely tank. And if last year is any indication, then they are not going to try and push hardware sales for Xbox anymore and would instead focus on being the best third-party publisher they can be. This in turn means other publishers are going to pull support for their dying platform. This means there is going to be only ONE HD console on the market going forward.

And that is the real issue. What does a Sony, that is alone in the home console space, look like? PS6 in 2030? $699 PS6? Reduced support for PS+ Extra/Premium?

I think a real conversation on where sony goes from here needs to be had.

bitbydeath

While I get that everyone's focus is on Xbox right now, I think the real issue is being overlooked.

Ok, so Xbox is dead. If they start releasing games on the PS5, their hardware sales will completely tank. And if last year is any indication, then they are not going to try and push hardware sales for Xbox anymore and would instead focus on being the best third-party publisher they can be. This in turn means other publishers are going to pull support for their dying platform. This means there is going to be only ONE HD console on the market going forward.

And that is the real issue. What does a Sony, that is alone in the home console space, look like? PS6 in 2030? $699 PS6? Reduced support for PS+ Extra/Premium?

Cheaper games because less platforms existing/needing to be developed for would be nice.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I don't think any "PS5 bros" are hurt by PlayStation games being on PC
As a PS5 owner who only plays on PS5 and Switch, id be pissed if PlayStation did it the way MS does it and is implying going forward. Even more so if they added Xbox to it.

Last edited:
PlayStation division languishes as with no competition they have nothing worth a damn. They try to set up a PC marketplace that gets neglected by the mainstream market and eventually remnants get absorbed into other divisions of the company.

Here is the real option going forward:

Xbox doesn't expand to other devices: kid with Xbox not getting future xbox games because Xbox games don't sell enough to justify the games existence

Xbox games being multi platform: kid with Xbox getting new xbox games because the sales across more devices justify the Xbox games.
you mean for now, i mean in the future when its time for a new console,etc

bender

What time is it?

Xbox sales already tanked. Series S could be had for $150 bundled with a headset at Costco over the holidays. And of the sales the Series consoles carved out, S was the favored version. Starfield was probably their last, best effort to boost sales and for various reasons, it didn't move the needle. If only Bethesda were farther along with TES or if only Microsoft had focused Obsidian on another Fallout spin-off rather than Avowed,, things might have been rosier.

Sony also knows the perils of releasing an overpriced console as the early years of the PS3 almost dug a hole that the brand couldn't escape from. They can't afford a pricing fuckup again as maintaining a ~100m userbase is essential solely based on the cost of AAA development. And based on the results Microsoft's Game Pass experiment and their own subscriber data, they'd be smart to rethink the PS+ tiers. Game Pass altered their userbases purchasing habits which is why they are looking for additional revenue streams. I think the fears of "arrogant Sony" and "Microsoft keeping them in check" are greatly exaggerated. Sony can just as easily fuck around and find out.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

To play games
Why would I need that shit if I can play the same Microsoft games plus tons of exclusives on Sony's platform instead?

And I'm saying that as someone who owns all 3 systems...Imagine someone who actually has to choose 1....

Top Bottom