• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Xbox fan should be hurt by Xbox expanding to more devices only the trolls & warriors will be hurt

everyone hurt should join the master race
frw5SKA.gif

I tried but I can't stand PC gaming. If I could go full controller I would do it but I can't. I got very close but it's not ready yet.

Alebrije

The only that are worried are those You tubers that played as console warriors, their bussiness Will be over soon if the rumors are true.

They are crying not because Xbox could go 3rdp but becuase there won't be a war vs Sony.

Mobilemofo

While I get that everyone's focus is on Xbox right now, I think the real issue is being overlooked.

Ok, so Xbox is dead. If they start releasing games on the PS5, their hardware sales will completely tank. And if last year is any indication, then they are not going to try and push hardware sales for Xbox anymore and would instead focus on being the best third-party publisher they can be. This in turn means other publishers are going to pull support for their dying platform. This means there is going to be only ONE HD console on the market going forward.

And that is the real issue. What does a Sony, that is alone in the home console space, look like? PS6 in 2030? $699 PS6? Reduced support for PS+ Extra/Premium?

I think a real conversation on where sony goes from here needs to be had.
The return of "arrogant" Sony..been in my mind since considering the possibilities. No direct competitor, they could really fuck up here.

midnightAI

If you want access to these games, on a console, through gamepass then you still need an Xbox. Unless, Sony does an about face and works out a deal to bring gamepass to their platform.
They have zero incentive to do so, it would mean loss of sales for them and cause the same issues XBox are having now while at the same time propping up MS with millions more potential users. It only benefits MS.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They have zero incentive to do so, it would mean loss of sales for them and cause the same issues XBox are having now while at the same time propping up MS with millions more potential users. It only benefits MS.
Except Sony already allows similar services on PSN, like EA Play.

Obviously GamePass on PS would not have non-MS games.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean OP is not wrong. If you are super upset about this, it might mean you have something truly against Playstation.

Obviously there are people like this. I don't have anything against Playstation. I honestly would like to have everything I want in one place.

This gen Sony and Microsoft have taken steps to make that a reality on PC. I have been planning to get a PS5 since day one, but when it was really hard to get for as long as it took them to have stock readily available in store...I decided to wait for the Pro.

The thing I'm hurt about is this will probably mean Sony backs off of PC somewhat as their console arm will likely benefit enough from this to not need PC releases as much.

I could be wrong though...maybe this just makes them double down on PC for that early PC money...which would be fantastic for me.

SteadyEvo

It all makes sense now!

MS will go 3rd party temporarily. This generation is a lost cause. They’ll focus on proving their worth with all their upcoming games while secretly gearing up to launch next gen with the return of console/ gamepass exclusive to Xbox only.

They’re gonna reel in the PS and PC crowd and then cut them off once they’re hooked to Gamepass. Like addicts they’ll flock to Xbox to get their fix.

This is actually a genius move by MS.

Trojan horse 🐴

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Cheaper games because less platforms existing/needing to be developed for would be nice.

Pretty sure that prices are set by the maximum the market will bear. That's why every AAA game costs the same to buy as all the others, even when they don't all cost the same to make...

OrtizTwelve

So many franchises would die in the coming years if Xbox tried to rely on Xbox consoles alone .

Devs & publishers need the confidence that their hard work & money is not being wasted creating games or the game quality will get lower & lower so be thankful that Xbox games will have a backup plan.

Microsoft has no choice but to put their games on as many platforms as possible. They just acquired Activision/Blizzard for $67 Billion USD, they're not going to recoup that investment buy relying only on PC, XBOX, and GamePass alone. This is all 100% business and financials.

There aren't enough XBOX console and GamePass users to justify their current strategy, since their XBOX console is being outsold by PlayStation 2.5 to 1, and the vast majority of GamePass subs are through XBOX consoles, with around 10 to 15 percent being on PC. The mathematics here aren't working in MSFT favor.

I suspect they will continue in the console space and continue to launch consoles, but I would also suspect there will be an exclusivity window of a few months only on XBOX/PC before their games are released across PS5, next Nintendo console. I would also expect some sort of major revamp of GamePass.

MarkMe2525

That is my point, Sony is not going to allow MS to bring Gamepass to their platforms. Unless MS went PC and cloud only with GamePass, there still would be a market for some form of a Xbox console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm actually indifferent about it, but I can understand if some are angry about it.

That is my point, Sony is not going to allow MS to bring Gamepass to their platforms. Unless MS went PC and cloud only with GamePass, there still would be a market for some form of a Xbox console.

Wishful thinking

Xbox Series consoles (two of them combined) are selling worse than a 7-year old Nintendo Switch, let alone PS5 that is in another galaxy right now

Once they go third party they might as well pull consoles from shelves to avoid all that dust.....

Stuart360

I tried but I can't stand PC gaming. If I could go full controller I would do it but I can't. I got very close but it's not ready yet.
Almost every AA and AAA game has controller support now on PC, and has done for years. Sure you get the odd Indie or RTS style game that doesnt, but most do.

I mean i have my PC connected to my tv and i even control my PC through my controller (i use X-Padder).

My PC is basically me entertainment system now. All my gaming, TV, movies, and music goes through it.

PaintTinJr

Again... think about it.

I don't know how you can read what I have said and arrive at this conclusion. You sure you are talking to me?

I am "framing" it like, competition is good. And it keeps people honest.

Ok, here is a scenario. The PS5 supposedly had a BOM of around $450 back in 2020. Probably means that at $500, Sony was at best just breaking even on every console sold. The only reason they come in at that break-even price, or even that loss-leading price point, is because they always had some other rival that would be doing the exact same thing. So what happens now, say the PS6 has a BOM of $600. Why would Sony sell it for $500? He3ll... why would they not sell it for $700. If they are the only ones there, and if even at $700 it would be impossible to build a PC of equivalent specs at that price? Like that's the whole point, they are willing to lose money on their hardware because they had to. Now, they may not have that problem anymore.

Or look at PS+ extra/premium, you think Sony ever does that if MS didn't do gamepass? I don't know about you, but for the $100ish I pay for PS+ Extra each year, I download more than 10 games on it each year, games that I would have otherwise had to pay for that would have cost more definately more than whatever PS+ cost me. Which thankfully means now I only have to spend $70 on the two or three best of the best games I simply cannot wait to play each year too.

Neither Sony with PlayStation 2 or Nintendo in handhelds/hybrid have really had competition and still favoured sensible accessible pricing for their hardware and games to sell to more of the 200m potential console gamers and get a maximum install base for themselves and 3rd party publishers, so the real competition was always the world of other entertainment outside console gaming, and is the same today, and that's what keeps them honest IMO without a direct challenger, because the financial risks of console game development need the largest possibly audience to mitigate risk.

Suggesting that Microsoft's competition helped in that gen and that PlayStation 3 was priced because PS2 was on top was the falsehood I was pointing to. Without Microsoft's deep pockets, Xbox would have needed to innovate with games to prolong the life of the OG Xbox, and even then probably pivot like Nintendo did around the same time as the PS3 with dual cell processors was cheap enough and actually viable from yields, instead of Microsoft doubling down on losses with a high spec 360 arcade 2years earlier than that, but was still devoid of a hdmi socket, a HDD or uncompressed 5.1/7.1 audio and 3D, a bluray disc player, and a CPU that could reliably clock above the 2.8Ghz launch clock (of the 360 IIRC ) to avoid the RRoD.

The competition in that generation cost consumers a better PS3 design, and cost them a cheaper PlayStation launch price, and eventually cost them a free online gaming service.

MarkMe2525

Wishful thinking

Xbox Series consoles (two of them combined) are selling worse than a 7-year old Nintendo Switch, let alone PS5 that is in another galaxy right now

Once they go third party they might as well pull consoles from shelves to avoid all that dust.....
While I'm not "wishing" for anything, we are both speculating based on unconfirmed rumour. As we both know, we will have more concrete info sometime next week.

Humdinger

My issue is I’ve spent the last 5+ years building my digital library which I now see as pointless and a waste of money because now why wouldn’t I just main the PlayStation?

Yeah, I've heard half a dozen people mention concerns about that. I wonder how MS will handle that. Maybe they'll say something reassuring about it next week ... but even if they do, can people believe them?

F3112006

Neo Member
I don’t think there’s anything they can say that can be reassuring, what exactly can they do? Unless I’m able to access all my library through my ps5 which will never happen then I won’t be happy.

Feel completely in limbo now, all my games are on my Xbox (including infinite wealth, tekken 8 and tomb raider collection but I don’t feel like playing them if I’m just going to end up selling it.

MarkMe2525

I don’t think there’s anything they can say that can be reassuring, what exactly can they do? Unless I’m able to access all my library through my ps5 which will never happen then I won’t be happy.

Feel completely in limbo now, all my games are on my Xbox (including infinite wealth, tekken 8 and tomb raider collection but I don’t feel like playing them if I’m just going to end up selling it.
Sega at one point started porting games to the ps2 that were previously exclusive to the Dreamcast, but I could still play them on my Dreamcast. I can't pretend to know your mindset, but I fail to see what the core issue is with you continuing to play them on the platform that you purchased them on.

SgtBozzer

Neo Member
If Microsoft really became a third party publisher, made AAA games available in the game pass after 6 months, and licensed the Xbox brand, the xbox os, and guidelines for steam deck and steam machine-like machines to multiple hardware manufacturers, it would probably make a good move.
And considering that in the next 10 years cloud gaming is likely to become a decidedly viable and increasingly popular alternative, Microsoft would be in a nice situation.

Raonak

Banned
Here is the real option going forward:

Xbox doesn't expand to other devices: kid with Xbox not getting future xbox games because Xbox games don't sell enough to justify the games existence

Xbox games being multi platform: kid with Xbox getting new xbox games because the sales across more devices justify the Xbox games.

Option 3: kid with xbox gets a playstation instead because they get all their xbox games AND the PS exclusives.

That's what xbox fans are getting annoyed at.
There are a LOT of people who can only afford 1 console, so for these people, exclusives matter. I was one of these guys.
I went with playstation because I cared more about MGS4 and Uncharted over Halo. Xbox fans did the opposite.
And now those people who have always bought an xbox only are now at a serious disadvantage because they don't get sony and nintendo exclusives.

Xbox fans have gone through a lot of shit over the years. The kinect focus. The xbone reveal. The droughtof xbox exclusives.
These guys have become passionate and entrenched. And microsoft fooled them into thinking that activison buyout was gonna mean more exclusives.

Xbox won’t be selling consoles in 10 years because of this decision.

Lots of sniping on Xbox fans for over reacting but it’s clear and obvious that this is what is going to happen.

How can you folks not see this?

Buy a PlayStation and play ALL the games or buy an Xbox and play Xbox games. You would be a fool to buy the Xbox.

SgtBozzer

Neo Member
They could offer Sony a version of the gamepass with only games from the Xbox studios and with a twist in the gamepass business model that would exclude AAA games for at least 6 months

F3112006

Neo Member
Sega at one point started porting games to the ps2 that were previously exclusive to the Dreamcast, but I could still play them on my Dreamcast. I can't pretend to know your mindset, but I fail to see what the core issue is with you continuing to play them on the platform that you purchased them on.
My point is that if all Xbox exclusives end up on ps5 I will be selling my Xbox because I don’t have time to invest in two eco systems.

onQ123

Option 3: kid with xbox gets a playstation instead because they get all their xbox games AND the PS exclusives.

That's what xbox fans are getting annoyed at.
There are a LOT of people who can only afford 1 console, so for these people, exclusives matter. I was one of these guys.
I went with playstation because I cared more about MGS4 and Uncharted over Halo. Xbox fans did the opposite.
And now those people who have always bought an xbox only are now at a serious disadvantage because they don't get sony and nintendo exclusives.

Xbox fans have gone through a lot of shit over the years. The kinect focus. The xbone reveal. The droughtof xbox exclusives.
These guys have become passionate and entrenched. And microsoft fooled them into thinking that activison buyout was gonna mean more exclusives.

How does it effect the Xbox fan if someone buys a PlayStation? That's what's happening anyway

Raonak

Banned
How does it effect the Xbox fan if someone buys a PlayStation? That's what's happening anyway
Because no reason to buy xbox hardware => less xbox marketshare => less xbox support => eventually MS discontinues xbox hardware => xbox fan will be forced to change platforms.

Changing your gaming platform isn't a simple thing anymore.
Digital libraries, save files, achievements, etc. They would all be lost.

Now the question for xbox fan is:
Do I continue buying xbox games - and switch platforms when it/if happens.
OR
Do I just switch to PS5 right now - because my beloved xbox games will appear on there AND I get sony exclusives too.

These are valid questions, and valid concerns about the future direction of xbox.

TheHTIC

Neo Member
I have XSX and PS5 and play both but if Microsoft is saying they're going full 3rd party then I'd seriously consider making the Series X my last Xbox because, whats the point? I'll wait to see what Phil has to say next week but if the rumors are true it just makes sense to consolidate even though I like the ecosystem and love gamepass and most of my friends play primarily on Xbox.

I got over 300 games I've purchased because that's the system I do most of my 3rd party gaming on XSX, and play mostly exclusives on Playstation but I'd move to that system completely even though I'd be losing a lot in terms of games I've purschased.

I know I could go the PC route but after being on a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is turn on another one so that's a no for me.

yansolo

Almost every AA and AAA game has controller support now on PC, and has done for years. Sure you get the odd Indie or RTS style game that doesnt, but most do.

I mean i have my PC connected to my tv and i even control my PC through my controller (i use X-Padder).

My PC is basically me entertainment system now. All my gaming, TV, movies, and music goes through it.

^^^, except i use controller companion, i use playnite to launch in full screen on startup and thats it, once you realise you can bypass kb+m which seems to turn people off its over, theres no need for a console

Stuart360

^^^, except i use controller companion, i use playnite to launch in full screen on startup and thats it, once you realise you can bypass kb+m which seems to turn people off its over, theres no need for a console
Yeah i could never go back to console again. I mean i'll always have a soft spot for them from my time growing up mostly a console gamer, but PC is just freedom and choice.

Kacho

What are the downsides in your opinion? I'm about to make the jump and want to know what to expect.
It almost always boils down to some games requiring tinkering. Most issues can be fixed in a few seconds, such as downloading a dll file and dropping it into a folder. Or adjusting a line in an ini file. Basic ass computer shit. It’s honestly overblown so don’t worry about making the jump. PC gaming is the best it’s ever been.

Stuart360

It almost always boils down to some games requiring tinkering. Most issues can be fixed in a few seconds, such as downloading a dll file and dropping it into a folder. Or adjusting a line in an ini file. Basic ass computer shit. It’s honestly overblown so don’t worry about making the jump. PC gaming is the best it’s ever been.
Its also the easiest its ever been. Nearly everything is 'plug and play', drivers and stuff are easy once you know what you're doing but even then all that can be done automatically. Problems with games, at least for me, is near nonexistent. I do look after my PC though and not doing that is what causes problems for some people. In fact i cant even remember the last time i had to verify the files on any game. And as for potential problems hardware or software wise, i have yet to have a problem that a simple Google search couldnt cure.

PC today is barely a step up from consoles in terms of complexity. some people think PC gaming is still like it was in the 90's, well it isnt.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its also the easiest its ever been. Nearly everything is 'plug and play', drivers and stuff are easy once you know what you're doing but even then all that can be done automatically. Problems with games, areat least for me, is near nonexistent. I do look after my PC though and not doing that is what causes problems for some people. In fact i cant even remember the last time i had to verify the files on any game. And as for potential problems hardware or software wise, i have yet to have a problem that a simple Google search couldnt cure.

PC today is barely a step up from consoles in terms of complexity. some people think PC gaming is still like it was in the 90's, well it isnt.
I'm excited. Thanks guys.

Kacho

Its also the easiest its ever been. Nearly everything is 'plug and play', drivers and stuff are easy once you know what you're doing but even then all that can be done automatically. Problems with games, areat least for me, is near nonexistent. I do look after my PC though and not doing that is what causes problems for some people. In fact i cant even remember the last time i had to verify the files on any game. And as for potential problems hardware or software wise, i have yet to have a problem that a simple Google search couldnt cure.

Yep. I got a Steam Deck OLED last week. Fired up Fatal Frame last night and *gasp* videos made the screen go black. Downloaded Proton GE, set the game to run with that and now it runs flawlessly at 90fps on my Deck. Took all of 2 minutes to do.

DaGwaphics

I feel a little like this as well, I'm not going to lie. The uncertainty is real for players that are so used to a platform and have a lot of time spent with it.

But, hopefully you can still enjoy the games you rightfully bought on hardware that plays them perfectly. Even if you are eventually going to jump ship (or get pushed off the plank :messenger_winking_tongue: ), get every last drop of value out of the library and hardware you purchased.

I've got a lot of hours in Xbox, I've probably got even more hours in System Wars back in the gamespot days. People joke about the warriors, and I agree if you are genuinely hateful of others about it, but I don't regret my efforts. I've had a blast with all the debates over the years, and interacted with some interesting, memorable characters on both sides of the isle. Researched a ton of things in my pursuits, learning just enough to be truly dangerous on things gaming (that point where you still don't really know what you are talking about in the slightest but just maybe can influence some other poor sod). :messenger_beaming: In that context turning the page completely is a bit like Andy giving that final look back to Woody (it's a dated Toy Story reference that the youngins won't get in the slightest). @ O onQ123 is right on the money about the console warriors taking this rumor the hardest, that is completely valid. We get hit double both just with the uncertainty about the platform and the potential loss of an honorable hobby :messenger_winking_tongue: (the we being me and the other warriors, don't want to project on you F3112006). But, we'll deal, of course. Might even find more worthwhile pursuits. I hear the IOs vs. Android fighters are quite avid or there's those comic book people. I kid, I kid.

As has been mentioned, there are some warrior types that are profiting from the console wars, obviously those folks would be directly impacted. But even there, they will just transition to some other facet of gaming.

At the end of the day the status of Xbox, Sony, or Nintendo isn't really all that important to anyone. With that said, people are perfectly justified in being a bit butthurt about some poor hardware/software investments if this should come to pass. :messenger_beaming: And no one gets to decide what others "should" feel about anything.

Last edited:

yazenov

Their bitter tears and meltdown gives me endless joy and entertainment at their expense so please let them have their moment and grief. Let the tears out of their system, they will feel better later instead of keeping it inside. :p

lefty1117

Gold Member
Bro you can run steam in Big Picture mode, looks just like a console UI, and you can use a controller for it. you got this

You can have your nice world vibe all day, but at end if competition dont have to work harder to keep there place, it stalls creative

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I feel a little like this as well, I'm not going to lie. The uncertainty is real for players that are so used to a platform and have a lot of time spent with it.

But, hopefully you can still enjoy the games you rightfully bought on hardware that plays them perfectly. Even if you are eventually going to jump ship (or get pushed off the plank :messenger_winking_tongue: ), get every last drop of value out of the library and hardware you purchased.

I've got a lot of hours in Xbox, I've probably got even more hours in System Wars back in the gamespot days. People joke about the warriors, and I agree if you are genuinely hateful of others about it, but I don't regret my efforts. I've had a blast with all the debates over the years, and interacted with some interesting, memorable characters on both sides of the isle. Researched a ton of things in my pursuits, learning just enough to be truly dangerous on things gaming (that point where you still don't really know what you are talking about in the slightest but just maybe can influence some other poor sod). :messenger_beaming: In that context turning the page completely is a bit like Andy giving that final look back to Woody (it's a dated Toy Story reference that the youngins won't get in the slightest). @ O onQ123 is right on the money about the console warriors taking this rumor the hardest, that is completely valid. We get hit double both just with the uncertainty about the platform and the potential loss of an honorable hobby :messenger_winking_tongue: (the we being me and the other warriors, don't want to project on you F3112006). But, we'll deal, of course. Might even find more worthwhile pursuits. I hear the IOs vs. Android fighters are quite avid or there's those comic book people. I kid, I kid.

As has been mentioned, there are some warrior types that are profiting from the console wars, obviously those folks would be directly impacted. But even there, they will just transition to some other facet of gaming.

At the end of the day the status of Xbox, Sony, or Nintendo isn't really all that important to anyone. With that said, people are perfectly justified in being a bit butthurt about some poor hardware/software investments if this should come to pass. :messenger_beaming: And no one gets to decide what others "should" feel about anything.

You know, after some serious consideration over this. I wouldnt mind if Xbox stopped making hardware, and I am absolutely indifferent about games going to other platforms to secure funding to make more, better games. I guess my only concern is the potential scenario of losing my investments in software that I have made with xbox since the Xbox 360 days.

Some people (sad, awful people imo) will say things like "It's your own fault for investing in an MS lead eco system" and while that is partially true, we didnt know it was going to go this way in the 360 days and xbox one days. so if you are someone who just preferred the Xbox controller for multiplats and xbox live eco system, because thats where your friends and family are/were. I think it's only normal someone can feel a little remorse that a death spiral could bring. Games come on other platfroms, thats fine, but then people don't buy hardware, and Xbox shut down the XBox eco system.

Personally, i would like to think that Microsoft are big enough as a company that they would not want the negative press and backlash so they would come up with some kind of grace for their customers. Either porting accounts to PC and as many games as possible or something.

So, ultimately. My only concern is my xbox account. Games can go anywhere they want. If MS continues to make hardware, that would be good for us all to have that option, but we will see.

DragonNCM

So many franchises would die in the coming years if Xbox tried to rely on Xbox consoles alone .

Devs & publishers need the confidence that their hard work & money is not being wasted creating games or the game quality will get lower & lower so be thankful that Xbox games will have a backup plan.
You are damn right about this 💯%

Montauk

Nah, OP i fundamentally disagree.

I’m not an Xbox fanboy. Not even much of a fan. I am a gamer.

And this is just flat-out bad for competition. You don’t need to have Xbox bed sheets to see that this is a bad development for the industry and the medium.

Sony desperately need strong competition in their ‘core’ gaming segment market. A strong Xbox would be better for gaming, for everyone.

That sentiment has nothing to do with brand devotion - I’ve been hugely and bitterly critical of Xbox and Xbox fanboys for years.

I understand why Sony fanboys would gloat and we all (fanboys or not) like to have a laugh at chaos in these forums. Me too.

But this isn’t a good development and being concerned about it doesn’t mean that person sleeps with a Phil Spencer body pillow.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

If I was an Xbox fan, who hung on for the past, oh, ten years of mismanagement and disappointing games and shit like "current year+1 is the year of Xbox", I dunno, I would be pretty pissed right now.
I’m an Xbox fan and frankly couldn’t give a crap.

I enjoy the eco system and a lot of the games they have put out.

Don’t really enjoy their hardware and a lot of there first party software is middling you great.

If ms is portion gun their games to ps in all for it.

I’d still buy Xbox hardware as that’s where my library is, aslong as they support physical.

As soon as it’s all digital off to pc I go.

DaGwaphics

You know, after some serious consideration over this. I wouldnt mind if Xbox stopped making hardware, and I am absolutely indifferent about games going to other platforms to secure funding to make more, better games. I guess my only concern is the potential scenario of losing my investments in software that I have made with xbox since the Xbox 360 days.

Some people (sad, awful people imo) will say things like "It's your own fault for investing in an MS lead eco system" and while that is partially true, we didnt know it was going to go this way in the 360 days and xbox one days. so if you are someone who just preferred the Xbox controller for multiplats and xbox live eco system, because thats where your friends and family are/were. I think it's only normal someone can feel a little remorse that a death spiral could bring. Games come on other platfroms, thats fine, but then people don't buy hardware, and Xbox shut down the XBox eco system.

Personally, i would like to think that Microsoft are big enough as a company that they would not want the negative press and backlash so they would come up with some kind of grace for their customers. Either porting accounts to PC and as many games as possible or something.

So, ultimately. My only concern is my xbox account. Games can go anywhere they want. If MS continues to make hardware, that would be good for us all to have that option, but we will see.

If things blow this way, maybe classic "Xbox" becomes an app that you can install on a PC (maybe you'd need AMD hardware or something like that) and you can emulate your digital titles there. Build your own Xbox.

Hopefully it won't come to that anyway. They did just have their best month ever in unit sales. I'll hear their pitch with an open ear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom