• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Xbox fan should be hurt by Xbox expanding to more devices only the trolls & warriors will be hurt

Papa_Wisdom

Why? It's my favorite console and sure I was bummed out as well. But my Dreamcasts (I've got 3 lol) still all work. I've got countless accessoires and they all still work (DDR, Fishing Rod, Guns etc.) Absolutely nothing is lost.

Except for Power Stone, I can't recall any DC bangers that did not eventually get an Xbox or PS release. If anything, they did a good job making sure that those titles were available on newer consoles even after the DC's downfall.

Consoles (even more so now) are completely irrelevant outside of a preferred UI or controller or ... design i guess?
Power stone was released on PSP but it was a Capcom game, not sega so I guess it’s up to them to port.

Papa_Wisdom

That is happening sooner than you think.
If there releasing games on ps I can’t imagine they will go digital only, if there printing ps disks might as well do an Xbox run (even if it’s smaller)

I think they will release Xbox consoles going forwards but I think they will sell a disk add on separately and do lower prints of physical.

Papa_Wisdom

Im actually Hurt

john hurt the day of the doctor GIF by Doctor Who
If there’s a kurt and a hurt in the thread, can I be Burt?

burt reynolds elephant GIF

Last edited:

sendit

If there releasing games on ps I can’t imagine they will go digital only, if there printing ps disks might as well do an Xbox run (even if it’s smaller)

I think they will release Xbox consoles going forwards but I think they will sell a disk add on separately and do lower prints of physical.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/walmart-getting-rid-of-physical-xbox-games-starfield-2024/
https://videogames.si.com/news/best-buy-no-longer-selling-physical-media

More physical retailers will follow. It's only a matter of time before Amazon does the same.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Like cds, dvds, vinyl, blu rays, hell even cassette tapes. I don’t see them going away fully.

I’m not naive enough to think the end game for both ms and Sony is to get rid of physical all together but if they do I switch to pc, or If still on console I will wait til there a sub £20 price, whether that’s PlayStation or Xbox (different for Nintendo as generally there actually worth the full retail asking price and are still heavily invested in physical)

No Xbox or PlayStation first party game is worth £70+ day one.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
So many franchises would die in the coming years if Xbox tried to rely on Xbox consoles alone .

Devs & publishers need the confidence that their hard work & money is not being wasted creating games or the game quality will get lower & lower so be thankful that Xbox games will have a backup plan.
I guess time will tell, but don't you think it's too much power to give to Sony? IDK, scares me a bit.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It’s sad that the new answer for this question is for people to pivot to saying ‘build a PC’.

Not saying you specifically, but for any person who only wants consoles and doesn’t care about PC, it’s a cop-out answer.

This is where there exists room for a more powerful Steam Deck-like-thing just for your TV I think. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for developments on this front

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is where there exists room for a more powerful Steam Deck-like-thing just for your TV I think. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for developments on this front

Yep. I don't think a Steam Deck like option could truly provide competition for Sony (same lack of exclusive content problem that Xbox is going to have if rumors prove true), but it could provide a viable alternative. The death spiral thing with consoles always comes down to a lack of buyer confidence and lack of developer support. A device that shares its library with a PC game store eliminates those problems. Pressure to sell x amount of units disappears. Something like this could sell 5m and still be a smart choice for everyone involved. And if you did happen to capture lightning in a bottle that's a bonus.

Last edited:

CGNoire

It will trigger a massive plummet in the budget of Sony's SP games which will lead to less competetion and overall lower quality AAA SP games across the board.... So theres that.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It will trigger a massive plummet in the budget of Sony's SP games which will lead to less competetion and overall lower quality AAA SP games across the board.... So theres that.

I'm not sure that Sony's budgets are motivated by MS even now. In Japan, Sony doesn't even have a single game in the top sellers list, where Xbox does not even exist

CGNoire

I'm not sure that Sony's budgets are motivated by MS even now. In Japan, Sony doesn't even have a single game in the top sellers list, where Xbox does not even exist
Lack of competetion has never led to a superior product. Quite the opposite. Greedy sony has already been rearing its ugly head again prior to amy announcment by Microsoft.

Killjoy-NL

I don't even see the problem for Xbox fanatics.

Now they can play Xbox games on a platform that has high-quality games.

Last edited:

Three

Like, okay, the service will continue, but where will I play the games I've already bought in the next generation?

These people acquired the games believing that there will be a new Xbox that will be backward compatible.
There likely will be. MS are going to make the xbox like a phone. Where there are new consoles but no generations.

BlackTron

Lack of competetion has never led to a superior product. Quite the opposite. Greedy sony has already been rearing its ugly head again prior to amy announcment by Microsoft.

The entire point of my post is that you should take a look at who Sony's real competition is. Right now Sony and Nintendo are duking it out while Xbox is just kinda doing their own thing by pwning themselves (Sega 2). I think they're both sizing each other up for Switch 2 vs mid gen PS5/Pro in a year, and don't even give a shit about MS. Again, in Japan, Sony is in second place especially in game sales, and MS doesn't exist, who is competing with who here?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Being honest... if I was heavily invested in Xbox I'd not be happy about this.

The problem is that the way they are pivoting is not going to make Xbox as a console platform more attractive or competitive in the long run, which (1) is pretty insulting given the way these acquisitions have been pitched over the last 5-6 years, and (2) pretty much ensures that the future is Game Pass only.

DaGwaphics

The problem is that the way they are pivoting is not going to make Xbox as a console platform more attractive or competitive in the long run, which (1) is pretty insulting given the way these acquisitions have been pitched over the last 5-6 years, and (2) pretty much ensures that the future is Game Pass only.

I don't know how people don't see this. Is it the end of the world, no. But, it does mean that you probably have to start building your library all over again because hardware eventually dies and there would be a serious question about how many buyers would come into the ecosystem to support new iterations down the line. I've been all in on Xbox for 20+ years and even I can clearly see that PS would be the safer bet for a buyer making a choice between the two if all the games are on there.

onQ123

PS1 & PS2 had no competition for most of their life cycles & the games just kept coming.

Stop pushing your BS

truth411

Here is the real option going forward:

Xbox doesn't expand to other devices: kid with Xbox not getting future xbox games because Xbox games don't sell enough to justify the games existence

Xbox games being multi platform: kid with Xbox getting new xbox games because the sales across more devices justify the Xbox games.
Or Kid just ignores Xbox and buy Playstation since everything will be on Playstation console anyways.
Heck, with PS5 Pro all Xbox games will play best on Playstation!!! (UnReal when you think about it)

onQ123

Or Kid just ignores Xbox and buy Playstation since everything will be on Playstation console anyways.
Heck, with PS5 Pro all Xbox games will play best on Playstation!!! (UnReal when you think about it)
How is that different from what's happening now besides Xbox games actually selling because they will be on PlayStation & Nintendo consoles.

truth411

How is that different from what's happening now besides Xbox games actually selling because they will be on PlayStation & Nintendo consoles.
It devalues the Xbox console even further to the point, long term I believe it would make the next gen Xbox DOA.

Folks would Just buy PS6, many fans would even have a digital library of Xbox games on Playstation by then.

onQ123

It devalues the Xbox console even further to the point, long term I believe it would make the next gen Xbox DOA.

Folks would Just buy PS6, many fans would even have a digital library of Xbox games on Playstation by then.
If Xbox games are not selling there is no point in losing money making a new Xbox so like I said no Xbox Fan should be upset about this move. This is survival

JackMcGunns

So many franchises would die in the coming years if Xbox tried to rely on Xbox consoles alone .

Devs & publishers need the confidence that their hard work & money is not being wasted creating games or the game quality will get lower & lower so be thankful that Xbox games will have a backup plan.

Damn, is this the first post by you that I agree on? :pie_thinking:

I predict games will come, but they don't have to be day one, so they can keep both camps happy. Similar to PlayStation games coming to PC. What's the point of PlayStation if exclusives are coming to PC? because they come at a later date and they don't all do. I see the same strategy applied to Xbox, but with PlayStation.

VAVA Mk2

I'm just enjoying all the drama. Enjoying games mostly on PC, but I have a Series X, One X, Switch to game with my 4 year old son, and intend to get a PS5 this gen. Regardless, Microsoft is reaping what it sowed. They have spent every minute since the 360 era fumbling over their feet and making stupid decisions. Sad as they came out of that era awesome.

truth411

If Xbox games are not selling there is no point in losing money making a new Xbox so like I said no Xbox Fan should be upset about this move. This is survival
I think folks with your position are missing the big picture. This is about Xbox ecosystem, MS and Sony make their money not primarily through 1st/2nd party game sales but by getting a cut off of all content sold on their platform. Sony software sales of it's exclusives are 20% if I recall correctly, everything else is 3rd party. The box and exclusives are just Trojan horse for the ecosystem. Yes MS will increase sales of its 1st party games but at the cost of its ecosystem collapsing, which is less money long term if the had a healthy ecosystem.

onQ123

I think folks with your position are missing the big picture. This is about Xbox ecosystem, MS and Sony make their money not primarily through 1st/2nd party game sales but by getting a cut off of all content sold on their platform. Sony software sales of it's exclusives are 20% if I recall correctly, everything else is 3rd party. The box and exclusives are just Trojan horse for the ecosystem. Yes MS will increase sales of its 1st party games but at the cost of its ecosystem collapsing, which is less money long term if the had a healthy ecosystem.
So you don't understand the fact that games are no longer selling well on Xbox consoles?

lordrand11

Personally, I think this generation of consoles has put out some of the most underwhelming exclusive bullshit ever. PS5 and Xbox.

As Xbox appears to be drawing to a close, we are left with this fact to ponder, contemplate, and reflect on as we eagerly await next week’s news.

near

Gold Member
So you don't understand the fact that games are no longer selling well on Xbox consoles?
Why should the average Xbox consumer give a shit about sales? They've invested hundreds if not thousands into Xbox's digital marketplace, and now the platform they've invested in will possibly cease to exist. It's completely understandable for an Xbox fan to be upset, perhaps not on the levels we are witnessing, but it is definitely understandable. If I was an Xbox only consumer, my concern wouldn't be the exclusives going multiplatform, it would be the fact that this move signifies the lack of support Microsoft will be giving it's own platform moving forward. This will quite possibly be the last Xbox console we'll see in the market of it's kind.

onQ123

Damn, is this the first post by you that I agree on? :pie_thinking:

I predict games will come, but they don't have to be day one, so they can keep both camps happy. Similar to PlayStation games coming to PC. What's the point of PlayStation if exclusives are coming to PC? because they come at a later date and they don't all do. I see the same strategy applied to Xbox, but with PlayStation.
Sounds like you're always wrong I guess I better delete this thread lol

Hohenheim

Wonder if Phil Spencer is on here between his Diablo 4 sessions,watching all this crazy talk. Must be quite fun, although somewhat scary to see the madness his "warriors" and their "enemies" cook up in these threads.

Last edited:

SHA

Here we are, don't turn away now (don't turn away)
We are the warriors that built this town
Here we are, don't turn away now (don't turn away)
We are the warriors that built this town
From dust

truth411

I do, that's the problem caused by gamepass. MS has made a series of Decisions that undermine the sales of the actual console and the ramifications that comes with it for years.
Now the only option for them is to eventually go the Sega route. But don't expect Gamepass on Sony or Nintendo consoles.

What their doing is all they can do now, but it didn't have to be this way.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

You don’t have to be a warrior or a troll to be hurt about a console ecosystem you enjoyed possibly going belly up, especially after years of promises and acquisitions to try and bolster said ecosystem.

I adored Xbox from its original release to the tail end of the 360, but was disappointed in the move they made with the Xbox One reveal, ultimately making my move to places like PC with DRM free GoG. I did want to see MS move back to the heyday of the 360 and OG Xbox mindset of games and releases. Similar reasons when I felt saddened and hurt when Sega bowed out. It’s never good to see a tentpole/icon leave the competition.

Assuming any of these rumors are true, of course.

Last edited:

keefged4

Its not a big deal. Trade in your plastic box for another plastic box that plays the games you want. Or perhaps, use this opportunity to do the mature thing and join the PC master race.

With Sony and Xbox porting everything to pc, true exclusivity doesn’t exist anymore (except for Nintendo).

I have all consoles, but I use my Xbox the most because I like the controller and interface better. I’m perfectly fine with less exclusivity.

devilNprada

Seeing as every hardcore Xbox fan buys two consoles anyways, they will still save a little money...
What's the point of PlayStation if exclusives are coming to PC?
I am sorry you still don't get the convenience factor.....

onQ123

You don’t have to be a warrior or a troll to be hurt about a console ecosystem you enjoyed possibly going belly up, especially after years of promises and acquisitions to try and bolster said ecosystem.

I adored Xbox from its original release to the tail end of the 360, but was disappointed in the move they made with the Xbox One reveal, ultimately making my move to places like PC with DRM free GoG. I did want to see MS move back to the heyday of the 360 and OG Xbox mindset of games and releases. Similar reasons when I felt saddened and hurt when Sega bowed out. It’s never good to see a tentpole/icon leave the competition.

Assuming any of these rumors are true, of course.
The alternative is the ecosystem dying off as a result of nothing selling on it.

JackMcGunns

Seeing as every hardcore Xbox fan buys two consoles anyways, they will still save a little money...

I am sorry you still don't get the convenience factor.....

I mean that applies to Xbox too then, for the people asking what's the point of Xbox if they can get the games on PC.

I think at the end of the day, gamers win.

Elysium44

Banned
The alternative is the ecosystem dying off as a result of nothing selling on it.

Making all Microsoft games multiplatform makes the Xbox console redundant and guarantees its demise. Then people lose access to their libraries when Microsoft pulls the plug not long after - they've done it before with GFWL on Windows and there's nothing to stop them doing it again. It isn't fair to call people trolls for being concerned about that.

Arcane0ne

The problem is xbox hardware turns irrelevant and redundat for the majority of people if xbox sagas are on ps5 - switch.

Forsythia

I'm not hurt that Jimmy Bob who happens to own a PlayStation gets to play Xbox games. Hell, every game should be on every platform, it's the most consumer-friendly thing. Fanboys seem to forget that.

What I am worried about is MS (eventually) abandoning the hardware entirely and me losing my entire digital library. There are a handful of games that are play anywhere, but most of the library is tied to the Xbox hardware. Yeah, that would suck big-time.

devilNprada

Theoretically it's good for Xbox and Gamepass because the games will have to be of quality if they will sell on third party platforms!
My example of that is: How Many Netflix originals could actually make it as theatrical releases?
Like cds, dvds, vinyl, blu rays, hell even cassette tapes. I don’t see them going away fully.

I’m not naive enough to think the end game for both ms and Sony is to get rid of physical all together but if they do I switch to pc,
Sure you will always be able to pick them up at thrift shops....
Switch to PC where you have soo many physical options, that makes sense..

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Theoretically it's good for Xbox and Gamepass because the games will have to be of quality if they will sell on third party platforms!
My example of that is: How Many Netflix originals could actually make it as theatrical releases?

Sure you will always be able to pick them up at thrift shops....
Switch to PC where you have soo many physical options, that makes sense..
Switching to pc is different. If games are taken away from your digital library there are always alternatives to still been able to play them

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Exactly!

Top Bottom