• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norcal Regionals 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - April 3rd - 5th

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
USFIV top 16 (tomorrow at 6pm PT)

Winners
Gamerbee vs Justin Wong
Kazunoko vs Nuckle Du
801 Strider vs Daigo Umehara
Poongko vs Smug

Losers
Snake Eyez vs Ricky Ortiz
SD Pnoy vs Momochi
Infiltration vs EX Pugera
Marq Teddy vs Bonchan

Marvel top 8 (tomorrow at 2pm PT)

Winners
Jwong vs Cloud805
ChrisG vs Clockwork

Losers
FChamp vs Apologyman
Paradigm vs Jeopardy

Up next tonight is Marvel exhibition, 7v7 Norcal vs Socal on Spooky's channel shortly

I'm losing myself in the abyss of all the hype, plus a lot of needed sleep lol. These tournaments are so stacked! I really hope this is just the beginning of what fighting games will be in the future.

pixelish

the crowd can chant "USA USA USA" all they want but at the end of the day, a foreigner will win the tournament on their soil.

it's obnoxious for sure

also nobody goes to japan for tournaments.

Well that's changing this year since they have a few premier and ranking events. But yeah, I do find it a bit annoying as well but I won't knock them for it. What I do think is that by chanting "USA" Americans are still admitting that beating a top Japanese player is a very big deal. So in a way we're still saying they are the best and we're thrilled about beating them. Just my thought on that though. We don't go nuts when beating Canadians or Europeans.

Kikujiro

I really think the USA chants are just so unnecessary and somewhat stupid to be honest. You don't see Japanese crowds chanting "Japan, Japan, japan!" when our guys loose over there.

I think it's dumb when they chant USA USA USA because someone won a single pool match against a foreign player, I mean you didn't win shit, chant when you win the final.

Mike ross is not a good commentator anymore and he has this really fake, celebrity news anchor mixed with bad wwe anouncer thing going on that really annoys me. I hope its Chen and Seth tomorrow.

Rainy

Banned
the crowd can chant "USA USA USA" all they want but at the end of the day, a foreigner will win the tournament on their soil.

I think Smug has the best chance out of the americans. but I just realized he needs to face poongko and maybe daigo in succession so...maybe not lol.

Well that's changing this year since they have a few premier and ranking events. But yeah, I do find it a bit annoying as well but I won't knock them for it. What I do think is that by chanting "USA" Americans are still admitting that beating a top Japanese player is a very big deal. So in a way we're still saying they are the best and we're thrilled about beating them. Just my thought on that though. We don't go nuts when beating Canadians or Europeans.

asia had a few premier events last year and none of the americans went lol. Shit is much harder.

Vice

Same as the Olympics or World Cup. You want to see the hometown team do well. Even shitty teams in national sports leagues have fans who will cheer on the smallest victory, look at the Oakland Raiders fanbase for the clearest example

kasane

Even people in ti (dota) were chanting usa

Even when na players got knocked out they were still doing it. I found it annoying

sikvod00

Banned

Totally agree. Beating top Japanese players on American soil still means a lot. There's obviously no malicious intent or people wanting to make them feel unwelcome. I guarantee they are being treated like celebrities outside the game by fans and those that look up to them, lol.

USFIV top 16 (tomorrow at 6pm PT)

Winners
Gamerbee vs Justin Wong
Kazunoko vs Nuckle Du
801 Strider vs Daigo Umehara
Poongko vs Smug

Losers
Snake Eyez vs Ricky Ortiz
SD Pnoy vs Momochi
Infiltration vs EX Pugera
Marq Teddy vs Bonchan

These are all potentially great matches. Lets go kaz

Unlucky

giphy.gif

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Mike ross is not a good commentator anymore and he has this really fake, celebrity news anchor mixed with bad wwe anouncer thing going on that really annoys me. I hope its Chen and Seth tomorrow.

Mike is bad on the mic. Same with Chen.

Mike took some pretty bad pot shots at players while he was commentating. His Ego grows day by day. But, what do you expect when you have 90% of the FGC dick riding him day and night.

Really hope it's Combo and Seth for tomorrow.

Don't expect it though since James Chen is the biggest mic vulture out. And, would sell his first born to get on.

sikvod00

Banned
I think Smug has the best chance out of the americans. but I just realized he needs to face poongko and maybe daigo in succession so...maybe not lol.

Smug destroyed Poongko at CC last year. Seth can't take those duffs. But can't count Poongko out. I'm sure he's studied and grinded that match-up afterwards.

pixelish

Mike is bad on the mic. Same with Chen.

Mike took some pretty bad pot shots at players while he was commentating. His Ego grows day by day. But, what do you expect when you have 90% of the FGC dick riding him day and night.

Really hope it's Combo and Seth for tomorrow.

Don't expect it though since James Chen is the biggest mic vulture out. And, would sell his first born to get on.
wow, people actually treat mike ross' on-cam shtick as if he's being serious with everything he says.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
whatttttt when was this? and what about the chris g stuff?

This happened on Facebook the drama. Chris G was like whatever when Justin picked the players that already auto made it in.

Paradigm went in on Justin and said he is Hollywood and does not help the scene never comes out etc.

Sayad

Anymore?! Was he ever? He's great with interacting with stream monsters and giving them what they want, his actual match commentary was never good.

Vice

whatttttt when was this? and what about the chris g stuff?

I saw a lot of it on Facebook a month ago. Dudes kept arguing over Chris G. and Justin because they moved to SoCal "recently" It was pretty dumb. Could have had Justin, Chris, Cloud Paradigm, Clock, Rusty, Kai and someone else if they had just agreed on using the top 4/5 player and qualifier for the last few spots like NorCal did. Eventually Justin just picked a coupel of guys and Paradigm and Chris got upset, iirc.

Dahbomb

I saw a lot of it on Facebook a month ago. Dudes kept arguing over Chris G. and Justin because they moved to SoCal "recently" It was pretty dumb. Could have had Justin, Chris, Cloud Paradigm, Clock, Rusty, Kai and someone else if they had just agreed on using the top 4/5 player and qualifier for the last few spots like NorCal did.
This is truly stupid as fuck.

Exr

it's obnoxious for sure

also nobody goes to japan for tournaments.
I can see how you guys think its obnoxious...but I love it. Im not even from the States and I chant it when im in the crowds. More of a pump up chant than a "USA is better than you guys eat a dick"

Top Bottom