• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Sony is licensing PS5 pro controllers, which will you be getting?

Now that Sony is licensing PS5 pro controllers, which will you be getting?

• $200 DualSense Edge - two extra buttons, media controls, replacable stick modules, made by Sony

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • $180 Victrix Pro BFG - four extra buttons, swapable control modules, fightpad option, no vibration

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • $250 Razer Wolverine V2 Pro - six extra buttons, asymmetric controls, no vibration

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Already went with a custom build from Scuf, Battle Beaver, etc.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I intend to wait and see if any other companies make their own controller

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • No interest in a pro controller, but I would buy a PS5 paddle attachment if they ever make one

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • I'm just sticking with a standard controller for now

Votes: 145 58.7%

• Total voters

MarkMe2525

Over the past few years I have come to the realization that, at least for me, wireless is over rated. If you sit within 10 feet of your console, a wired controller is superior. Less input lag and more importantly, I never ever have to worry about my controller charge. It's a little thing that ends up being very impactful.

In saying that, I finally bit the bullet and will be upgrading to the PS5 and would love to see a high quality wired dualsense controller. I have a wired "pro" controller for my Xbox and I love it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yeah but that one is overpriced as fuck :/
For what it brings to the table it is overpriced especially only have 2 paddles on the back.

Over the past few years I have come to the realization that, at least for me, wireless is over rated. If you sit within 10 feet of your console, a wired controller is superior. Less input lag and more importantly, I never ever have to worry about my controller charge. It's a little thing that ends up being very impactful.

In saying that, I finally bit the bullet and will be upgrading to the PS5 and would love to see a high quality wired dualsense controller. I have a wired "pro" controller for my Xbox and I love it.
When I play on Xbox I most use wired controller as well as I love the Razer controllers

Banned
For what it brings to the table it is overpriced especially only have 2 paddles on the back.

I would get it if it had Hall-Effect Sensors... but it uses Sony's typical sticks, which are horrible to say the least.

just a few days ago my 2nd out of 3 DualSense controllers of mine started to get stick drift on the left stick.
and I already had 4 DualShock 4s and 1 DualSense with drift on the left stick.

it's astonishing how bad these are, I can almost make a mark in the calendar after buying a new one for when the old one starts developing drift. it's like clockwork... and it's almost always the left stick, presumably because pressing L3 while moving the stick wears down the model of sticks Sony uses really fast.

and to know that they'll just keep using those awful sticks in their super pricey premium controller as well makes them a definite pass.

only 2 paddles wouldn't be an issue for me, I don't use paddles in the first place usually (except back when I played Halo 5 since the butten layouts available all sucked ass so I had melee on a paddle)

Last edited:

sainraja

I am getting the Edge controller. I like to get the official ones. I have the Xbox one already but the RB button on it doesn't always register all my presses so I use the normal ones mostly. But I like the official ones. Although I did give Scuff a try

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would get it if it had Hall-Effect Sensors... but it uses Sony's typical sticks, which are horrible to say the least.

just a few days ago my 2nd out of 3 DualSense controllers of mine started to get stick drift on the left stick.
and I already had 4 DualShock 4s and 1 DualSense with drift on the left stick.

it's astonishing how bad these are, I can almost make a mark in the calendar after buying a new one for when the old one starts developing drift. it's like clockwork... and it's almost always the left stick, presumably because pressing L3 while moving the stick wears down the model of sticks Sony uses really fast.

and to know that they'll just keep using those awful sticks in their super pricey premium controller as well makes them a definite pass.

only 2 paddles wouldn't be an issue for me, I don't use paddles in the first place usually (except back when I played Halo 5 since the butten layouts available all sucked ass so I had melee on a paddle)
I am hoping someone makes Hall effect modules for this controller but then again adding cost to an already overpriced controller

I'll get Dualsense Edge once it's on sale and hopefully there's a "Black Edition".

Playing fps games on Playstation feels so bad without the back button attachment.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
they can't be that expensive. Microsoft already uses Hall-Effect Sensors for the triggers ever since the original Xbox One controllers.
I think the Sony replacement modules were $20 each so if you go ahead and replace them both you are adding another $40 ish to an expensive controller

Banned
I think the Sony replacement modules were $20 each so if you go ahead and replace them both you are adding another $40 ish to an expensive controller

yeah but that's not something you can compare to a fully mass produced controller.

the Dreamcast also used them for both the triggers and the stick.

and there are relatively cheap Switch controllers coming out with Hall-Effect sticks as well. and those don't look half bad tbh

Each day I get closer to a 180 on my original stance and contemplate ordering a DualSense edge and an extra stick module or two. It’s expensive, it lacks certain features, but it might be the best option and will definitely be supported by Sony.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So they're not selling a PS5 Pro but only the controllers? How are they different from Dual sense? 🤔

/jk... Or not?

Umbral

I need gyro-aim, haptics, and adaptive triggers. The only option is the Edge controller. Sticks are being surpassed by gyro. It’s only a matter of time.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
From my experience all third party controllers are shit, Don't waste your money on any of them

none.

third party controllers almost always have some issues, either the sticks aren't properly calibrated or the deadzones are weird... it's always something

Only buy third party if an equivalent first party product is not available.

If you do your research, there are usually some good 3rd party accessories made in every console generation. I think it's harder to tell these days, now that so many official controllers run into stick drift issues. It can probably be confusing to determine if issues are happening because of inferior quality materials, or if a 3rd party controller is running into issues because it generally uses the same sort of design as the official controllers.

I wanted the vitrix but I heard the haptics aren't as good as even the dual sense. So imma hold off

I need gyro-aim, haptics, and adaptive triggers. The only option is the Edge controller. Sticks are being surpassed by gyro. It’s only a matter of time.
If you want pro-controller options with official controller features, your best option is probably a modded controller. I mentioned that before, but I thought I'd go into a bit more detail. Just be sure you look over all the options if you ever decide to buy one, as some builders remove haptic feedback only if you request it, while with others you have to pay to keep it. I'd also watch a lot more videos than this one, to get a better idea of reliability, but here's a nice recent overview of some of the options that are out there.

Last edited:

Banned
If you do your research, there are usually some good 3rd party accessories made in every console generation. I think it's harder to tell these days, now that so many official controllers run into stick drift issues. It can probably be confusing to determine if issues are happening because of inferior quality materials, or if a 3rd party controller is running into issues because it generally uses the same sort of design as the official controllers.

the issue is that doing research isn't easy especially for controllers.

most reviews of controllers are extremely lackluster. I almost never see anyone actually test deadzones, reaction curves, how precise the stick detects specific movement angles, how well it recenters, doing good input lag lests, or if specific scenarios give it issues.

great example of this, the 8bitdo Ultimate controller for Xbox. at first glance an amazing controller with top tier build quality.
but, after using it I found more and more issues with it.
in some games it does not register/send specific stick angles correctly. it especially has issues in games that have axial slowdown, even if it's super minor slowdown, like in Resident Evil 8.
in games like RE8 diagonal inputs on the right stick will result in extremely slowed down camera movement that feels extremely jarring and can very negatively impact gameplay.

doing further tests on PC reveals that the sticks used in the 8bitdo controllers often have extremely low precision, and will start jittering between 2 angles instead of reading and sending the correct stick angle you are holding it in.

(and yes I did try to correct these issues by looking through and using the controller's app)

and it's stuff like that that I found in many controllers I tried. in cheap ones and in expensive ones.
with first party controllers you can at least be assured that games are specifically tested with those controllers in mind, and the console is designed with the signals and quality of that specific controller in mind.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Here's a video preview of Sony's new controller that isn't the least bit critical, but it is fairly informative. No questions about less battery life or only two back buttons here.

And here's a video review of the Victrix Pro BFG that is highly critical, but also has a lot of positive things to say about the controller. They also have some of the best video of the controller itself that I've seen.

Sw0pDiller

So much salt in here, I think op hoped nobody would go for the edge controller and this tread would follow another edge "hate" path. I feel the edge is an amazing controller and has full software integration. My dualsense controller never died on me during a gaming session. 5 to 8 hours is more than enough. Will not buy untill sale or even better: give me back button attachment!

[Sigma]

Bruh the new Victrix Pro BFG release date says February 3 now lol. At least Victrix has finally said something about it now but damn, I thought this shit was ready to go but it looks like it's coming in hot which is strange, they must of had a bad batch and something wasn't done right with them. May as well do it right at this point and add hall effects thumbsticks delaying it further.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

Bruh the new Victrix Pro BFG release date says February 3 now lol. At least Victrix has finally said something about it now but damn, I thought this shit was ready to go but it looks like it's coming in hot which is strange, they must of had a bad batch and something wasn't done right with them. May as well do it right at this point and add hall effects thumbsticks delaying it further.

Ouch. I also have to wonder if manufacturing in China is going to lead to a lot of this sort of thing, considering their Covid situation.

Tams

Ouch. I also have to wonder if manufacturing in China is going to lead to a lot of this sort of thing, considering their Covid situation.

What do you mean? Everything is under control there!

Explosion Reaction GIF

Banned
I still have 2 launch day controllers that I switch out every 2 days due to use (mostly Battlefield) - zero drift.

then you hit the jackpot...
2 of my 3 DualSense controllers have drift on the left stick... fun!

and I suspect my third one is developing a dead spot on the left stick when moving it to a certain angle.

The Stig

None. I just got a black controller (to go with my black ps5 cover) and its great.

The pro controller looks absolutely AWESOME but I cannot justify the price. There are other things I should spend $200 on.

I dont like the look of the vitrix OR the razer.

One big PASS from me.
well, I feel stupid.

My wonderful GF (who also bought me my PS5 btw) bought me a "pro" controller. But not one from this poll. It is the scuf reflex.

Just started using it. Its lovely.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
well, I feel stupid.

My wonderful GF (who also bought me my PS5 btw) bought me a "pro" controller. But not one from this poll. It is the scuf reflex.

Just started using it. Its lovely.
I hate being that guy but once you get used to pro controllers its hard not going back

Just make sure you take the time to learn those back paddles as I messed up a lot getting used to them but now in certain games for me its second nature having paddles

Banjo64

cumsessed
A word of warning for all.

I bought an Elite Series 2 in September 2020. After returning the first one for a sticky A button, this one has worked flawlessly. Until a few days ago on Tinykin, when I noticed the RB wasn’t working for soap surf.

This controller has been used reasonably heavily (estimated 40 days, maybe a little more), but has been treated with extreme care.

By stroke of luck, protect my bubble were offering 3 years insurance (accidental damage/manufacturers fault) for £10 on Amazon when I purchased this. Hopefully all should be resolved in the coming weeks. If they send me a new one, it’s going on eBay.

I’ve also just bought the Electric Volt pad in the sales, so can still play.

That being said, 2 years for a product is completely below par. My Dualsense also developed drift after only playing GoW 2018/Astro (Sony were fantastic in replacing this).

It’s standard pads all the way for me from now on as I’m not paying £150 every 2 years.

Tams

I bought an Elite Series 2 in September 2020. After returning the first one for a sticky A button, this one has worked flawlessly. Until a few days ago on Tinykin, when I noticed the RB wasn’t working for soap surf.

This controller has been used reasonably heavily (estimated 40 days, maybe a little more), but has been treated with extreme care.

By stroke of luck, protect my bubble were offering 3 years insurance (accidental damage/manufacturers fault) for £10 on Amazon when I purchased this. Hopefully all should be resolved in the coming weeks. If they send me a new one, it’s going on eBay.

That being said, 2 years for a product is completely below par. My Dualsense also developed drift after only playing GoW 2018/Astro (Sony were fantastic in replacing this).

It’s standard pads all the way for me from now on as I’m not paying £150 every 2 years.

The Elite controllers are known to be shoddily built and Microsoft seem to have done jack all to fix it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Elite controllers are known to be shoddily built and Microsoft seem to have done jack all to fix it.
100%.

With my Dualsense drifting after 40 hours of total play time, I’m not convinced by Sony’s build quality either. Anecdotal of course, just a word of warning to anyone thinking £200 will equal a longer lifespan.

Tams

100%.

With my Dualsense drifting after 40 hours of total play time, I’m not convinced by Sony’s build quality either. Anecdotal of course, just a word of warning to anyone thinking £200 will equal a longer lifespan.
Yeah, but Sony's only widespread problems only seem to be with stuck drift, which all manufacturers are having problems with, as they all use the same supplier.

The Elite has many more problems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The elite controllers are known for shitty plastic in their bumpers and is usually their first place for failure.

For around $20 you can buy nice upgraded bumpers from Amazon and fix that problem really easily but for a premium product this is pretty unacceptable and a lot of people don’t want to pop these controllers open much like they don’t want to replace the dual sense battery

I have two elite controllers that I have had to replace the bumpers in

//DEVIL//

looks at title......

I already got a new PS5 controller for my PC from the marketplace for almost half the price from one of those people who were forced to get the ps5 bundle and now selling it to offset some costs.

I ain't paying 100$ CAD after tax for a regular controller let alone half the price of a PS5.

scamming customers to the extreme. PASS.

I don’t trust these at all. If they can’t even pass US regulations to be legally sold here, there is something wrong. I also doubt these could be used in the Edge, let’s wait for a tear down before deciding if this fixes the battery life issue.
I installed the battery twice in two dualsense controllers. No problems but if you know better your problem.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
So much salt in here, I think op hoped nobody would go for the edge controller and this tread would follow another edge "hate" path. I feel the edge is an amazing controller and has full software integration. My dualsense controller never died on me during a gaming session. 5 to 8 hours is more than enough. Will not buy untill sale or even better: give me back button attachment!
I'm very disappointed that the official Sony controller only has two paddles, but disappointed is far from hate. I didn't hope that nobody would pick the official controller either.

More than anything, though, everything is relative. If Microsoft's flagship controller has four paddles and a much better battery life, then Sony's controller not keeping up with their competitor in every way is a missed opportunity.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

I've seen people saying that their orders are finally being shipped, so it should be sometime next week when people start getting them. There should be a lot more reviews soon as well.

[Sigma]

I've seen people saying that their orders are finally being shipped, so it should be sometime next week when people start getting them. There should be a lot more reviews soon as well.
The other day 17th I got an update email saying that my order would be shipped on the 18th. So it's out(seen some people got their orders shipped directly through PDP). The thing is even though mine said I would get it by the 20th(today), Amazon never charged me and it has not shipped. Now, the controller is out of stock so it looks like I missed the first round(even though I ordered in November.) It doesn't look like every store released it though. Some still saying February 1st.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My Best Buy order still showing preordered with an estimated ship date of Feb 1st.

Now I will be watching for that email the next day or two and likely should have ordered direct on this one

ryan reynolds lol GIF by Lionsgate

I’m going to have to do something. My DualSense right stick started drifting so bad almost all games are unplayable. It acts like it’s pushed all the way to the left at all times. Tried resetting it, disconnecting it, everything.

Sent in a repair request at Sony, they sent me back a confirmation number and the site says to check my email for further instructions on how to ship it to them.

That was 5 days ago, still haven’t received an email on what to do with this thing. Sucks, it’s the only one I’ve got.

Once this one is fixed I’ll probably pick up the official one and keep this one as a backup.

Top Bottom