• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

GHG

03zune-600.jpg
Gamers.

What a piece of hardware that thing was. Still have mine.

7SEgUh5.jpg

Can't find the charger for the life of me though.

Amazing hardware, terrible execution, support and marketing. Just Microsoft things.

FrankWza

How many alternatives do those companies offer customers to access their products? If you give your customers only one way to access your products that is the only way they'll access your products.
That's doesn’t explain keeping Bethesda and possibly Activision games away from Sony and Nintendo. You'd want them available on every possible platform. 200 million customers is serious business.
I bet Sony has sold more PSVR2 units than Amazon, Best Buy, and Target combined. I wonder why... I guess Sony should start celebrating their beating out other retailers
It's not available at retailers in some territories. It's just an exclusive window and it's a short one.
Also we'll just ignore those entrenched companies were in video games for years before MS got into consoles.
Its been 20 years and 3 generations since. Roughly 3 times more years and generations than the head start Sony had on them.

As a customer MS doesn't have to beat Sony or Nintendo they need to continue to support their customers and based on recent moves more games are coming to their ecosystem.
Open ended because xbox is owned by microsoft.
Refusing to buy an Xbox console and then playing a MS game on PC isn't the L for MS many think it is.
But choosing to skip the game entirely is. More exposure means more sales. Like you said, it's an uphill battle. You don't give up an inch when your fighting uphill.

Last edited:

NickFire

7SEgUh5.jpg

Amazing hardware, terrible execution, support and marketing. Just Microsoft things.
How did you get GAF to float around your very wet backyard like that?

kyussman

All of you in here talking up Jim Ryan for PlayStations success don't realise it takes nerves of steel to play the long game Phil Spencer is going for,getting trounced year after year by PlayStation safe in the knowledge he'll have the last laugh.He is the real hero here,just wait till Gamepass is rocking 1 billion subs and is sitting on top of the gaming world......Jim Ryan will be a forgotten man while they build statues of Phil Spencer all over Sillicon Valley.

Last edited:

FrankWza

All of you in here talking up Jim Ryan for PlayStations success don't realise it takes nerves of steel to play the long game Phil Spencer is going for,getting trounced year after year by PlayStation safe in the knowledge he'll have the last laugh.He is the real hero here,just wait till Gamepass is rocking 1 million subs and is sitting on top of the gaming world......Jim Ryan will be a forgotten man while they build statues of Phil Spencer all over Sillicon Valley.
Does kyussman kyussman get the green socks or not? That only goes to the hardest of workers.

Last edited:

NickFire

All of you in here talking up Jim Ryan for PlayStations success don't realise it takes nerves of steel to play the long game Phil Spencer is going for,getting trounced year after year by PlayStation safe in the knowledge he'll have the last laugh.He is the real hero here,just wait till Gamepass is rocking 1 million subs and is sitting on top of the gaming world......Jim Ryan will be a forgotten man while they build statues of Phil Spencer all over Sillicon Valley.
You might be joking. You might be serious. I'm at a complete loss on this one.

GHG

All of you in here talking up Jim Ryan for PlayStations success don't realise it takes nerves of steel to play the long game Phil Spencer is going for,getting trounced year after year by PlayStation safe in the knowledge he'll have the last laugh.He is the real hero here,just wait till Gamepass is rocking 1 billion subs and is sitting on top of the gaming world......Jim Ryan will be a forgotten man while they build statues of Phil Spencer all over Sillicon Valley.

You had me until the 1 million.

Morgan Freeman Laughing GIF

Astray

Gold Member
This month honestly feels like some sort of sales levee broke. If Sony is selling this much in March, then what should we expect come holiday season?

Between this and the ABK deal potentially closing one way or another, It genuinely feels like April 2023 is a point of no return in many ways.

kyussman

Does kyussman kyussman get the green socks or not? That only goes to the hardest of workers.
I haven't picked up a controller in nearly two years,I'm just trying to enjoy myself and have a bit of fun while I wait to see if I jump into this gen at all.I'm concerned that I can post something like that and have people not sure if I'm joking or not......I think some of you spend to much time on Twitter,lol.

Woopah

This month honestly feels like some sort of sales levee broke. If Sony is selling this much in March, then what should we expect come holiday season?

Between this and the ABK deal potentially closing one way or another, It genuinely feels like April 2023 is a point of no return in many ways.
A 10 million+ quarter is definitely possible for Q3 this financial year.

bender

What time is it?

7SEgUh5.jpg

I heard good things but this will always be the goat DAP:

55-150-015-04.JPG

• Fire
Reactions: GHG
Town of the talk is that MS cut down Xboxs marketing budget.
It was part of their gaming budget cut down that they did recently. It's why you don't see a lot of marketing, aside of few ads.

They barely had any ads when they didn't cut the marketing budget 🤣

If Starfield performs like a typical Bethesda RPG, that absolutely will be a system seller. What Sony has historically had that MS hasn't is a consistent flow of well received software, once that problem is corrected their sales trajectory can/will certainly change for the better. Players get the systems where the games they want to play are at, MS has to offer more than Forza/Halo/Gears as console exclusives in order to make their system a must have in gaming households. There isn't some mythical face off with review scores they need to compete in with Sony, they simply need to make games that players want to play. Adding Xbox systems to previously PS only households would be a big win for them, these users don't need to burn their PS or choose one platform over the other exclusively.

They look to have a good lineup for this year from what we know about, hopefully the upcoming showcase will highlight what the first half of 2024 looks like and maybe give us a tantalizing hint or two outside that window. It will be good for them to get the ABK deal done and put that behind them also as the kind of energy they needed to put forward to close that wasn't particularly momentum building for the brand, LOL.

But it's also about having the right games at the right time. Avowed being a 93/100 means nothing if they release it between GOW 3, Super Mario Universe and Hogwarts History. It's just going to mean Avowed gets severe lack of attention, and bad sales, because it came out between much more anticipated big releases that had much better marketing behind them.

I would say Starfield is facing this threat right now, if the rumors of Spiderman 2 in September are true. No matter how good Starfield is, it's going to get drowned out by a 1P AAA superhero game based on the most popular character in the world, with the type of marketing push behind it Sony does for their big releases. AND that might be paired with a PS5 revision, too. Starfield really has no chance against that, especially if a lot of people have gotten their RPG fix by that point through other games (such as FF XVI).

Honestly I think Starfield probably needs an "Early Premium" release in August to get some decent time building up mindshare and have some sales in a quiet period before heavy hitters like Spiderman 2 come and suppress its sales potential particularly on the console side, because Xbox already has to contend with it being on Game Pass Day 1, which will hurt B2P sales of it on that platform.

Yeah calling games you haven’t seen system sellers is abit much. Personally I’m even skeptical of Wolverine because it will be so different to Spider Man.

But at least Wolverine has the pedigree of a proven developer behind it, in a genre that developer has become a master of. I would liken anticipation for Wolverine, conceptually, similar to anticipation people have for Starfield. Technically a new IP, unproven, but comes from a proven studio with a history of hits behind them and it's generally similar to things they have already released before.

So I can definitely understand people calling Wolverine a system-seller.

Steam broke it's user-base records again recently and it's growth dwarfs the numbers that PS5 is doing.

PS2 is still the best seller. If anything console gaming has stagnated in the past 20 years while PC gaming has boomed to stratospheric levels.

You also don't need to pay $500 for a Steam account; in fact you can make one for free.

Look into the actual numbers of people buying games on Steam at comparable levels (Day 1 purchases, attach rates of purchased individual games (not games part of Humble Bundles or given to them for free), and you'll see that subset lags significantly compared to PlayStation and Nintendo.

Can see 1+ million for November and maybe nearing 2 million for December in NA IF the supply can allow it. I think the Wii and 360 managed numbers like those or close to them for those months sporadically in 7th gen.

Kind of thinking it may not, but maybe it all depends on if the revised PS5 rumors are true.

DrFigs

7SEgUh5.jpg

do you really not click the x on the "enable push notifications" thing?

That's doesn’t explain keeping Bethesda and possibly Activision games away from Sony and Nintendo. You'd want them available on every possible platform. 200 million customers is serious business.
Versions of titles for those platforms isn't free of development time and resources. MS ultimately wants people in their ecosystem. Putting games on platforms where Game pass does not exist does not further that goal. Those 200 million customers do not outnumber customers who have access to PCs and mobile devices.
It's not available at retailers in some territories. It's just an exclusive window and it's a short one.
Doesn't change my point. If you limit a customers' options of course they'll take the only path available to them. The reverse is also true regarding MS and their games. Consoles are not the only way to access the Xbox ecosystem.
Its been 20 years and 3 generations since. Roughly 3 times more years and generations than the head start Sony had on them.
So? When Sony entered the market Sega was almost dead and Nintendo was very arrogant and 3rd parties were looking for a better place to put their titles. Sony had to practically show up and got exclusive games like Final Fantasy 7 right at the start. MS faced a industry leading Sony who was completely dominant. Different situations, different outcomes.
Open ended because xbox is owned by microsoft.
Again so? As long as Xbox customers are being supported I don't care about bragging on a message board MS is winning. Currently there are tons of games in the pipeline for people who support the Xbox platform I'm OK with that.
But choosing to skip the game entirely is. More exposure means more sales. Like you said, it's an uphill battle. You don't give up an inch when your fighting uphill.
🤷🏾 Cool. You may choose to skip Starfield but I won't. I think it looks like a fun game and I'd prefer to play fun games than to skip them to show my allegiance to a company. There is plenty of exposure for Xbox titles including ways to play without buying a console at all.

Profitable.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I would say Starfield is facing this threat right now, if the rumors of Spiderman 2 in September are true. No matter how good Starfield is, it's going to get drowned out by a 1P AAA superhero game based on the most popular character in the world, with the type of marketing push behind it Sony does for their big releases. AND that might be paired with a PS5 revision, too. Starfield really has no chance against that, especially if a lot of people have gotten their RPG fix by that point through other games (such as FF XVI).

Honestly I think Starfield probably needs an "Early Premium" release in August to get some decent time building up mindshare and have some sales in a quiet period before heavy hitters like Spiderman 2 come and suppress its sales potential particularly on the console side, because Xbox already has to contend with it being on Game Pass Day 1, which will hurt B2P sales of it on that platform.

I don't think Spiderman 2 is really in the periphery for Starfield. A more comparable game to Starfield on PC would be CP2077, similar very high Steam wishlist numbers, etc. and that did millions day one on PC, the marketing push for Starfield hasn't even started yet. Obviously up to Bethesda to create a game and marketing that can live up to the initial interest though, nothing is ever gauranteed.

Plus, the games aren't the same style or genre, it isn't like they directly compete with each other.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Putting games on platforms where Game pass does not exist does not further that goal
Taking games away from other consoles doesn't either. The games aren't exclusive to gamepass. They're going to sell The games to people who do not subscribe too
Doesn't change my point. If you limit a customers' options of course they'll take the only path available to them. The reverse is also true regarding MS and their games. Consoles are not the only way to access the Xbox ecosystem.
2 months vs forever is not even close to the same.

Youre the one who brought up Sony's head start. They've had more than enough time to catch up. If not for Microsoft backing them they might be gone from the hardware space. Like Sega that you mentioned

Again so? As long as Xbox customers are being supported I don't care about bragging on a message board MS is winning. Currently there are tons of games in the pipeline for people who support the Xbox platform I'm OK with that.
Because it's related to their strategy. Take away. That yield will come from financial might that very few companies can match. I wouldn't brag about that either. That ecosystem was going to get all of those games anyway.
Cool. You may choose to skip Starfield but I won't.
Well, it's included in your subscription. I could understand if it was a gamepass exclusive. Since it's not I'm categorizing in the take away column. It's all fair but it's not exactly shrewd maneuvering and it is completely transparent. If you're going to sell it anyway then sell it to as many people as possible, since they don't care about console sales.

I don't think Spiderman 2 is really in the periphery for Starfield. A more comparable game to Starfield on PC would be CP2077, similar very high Steam wishlist numbers, etc. and that did millions day one on PC, the marketing push for Starfield hasn't even started yet. Obviously up to Bethesda to create a game and marketing that can live up to the initial interest though, nothing is ever gauranteed.

Plus, the games aren't the same style or genre, it isn't like they directly compete with each other.

Now that you mention it, there actually is a very similar game to Starfield coming to PC this year. I forget its name, but I've seen a decent amount of gameplay for it, it's made by one person (supposedly), and looks quite good.

As for Starfield vs Spiderman 2, it's not so much because they are similar games, it's just that only a subset of gamers really care about specific genre or theme to choose between them. Most of the people who buy these big games are casuals and are just looking for fun games to play. So they don't care if that comes through a superhero game, or a sci-fi game, but chances are given that superhero game is none other than Spiderman, they are much more inclined to go with the superhero game.

That's what I was mainly trying to say.

feynoob

Now that you mention it, there actually is a very similar game to Starfield coming to PC this year. I forget its name, but I've seen a decent amount of gameplay for it, it's made by one person (supposedly), and looks quite good.

As for Starfield vs Spiderman 2, it's not so much because they are similar games, it's just that only a subset of gamers really care about specific genre or theme to choose between them. Most of the people who buy these big games are casuals and are just looking for fun games to play. So they don't care if that comes through a superhero game, or a sci-fi game, but chances are given that superhero game is none other than Spiderman, they are much more inclined to go with the superhero game.

That's what I was mainly trying to say.
Starfield edge would be gamepass, otherwise both are neck to neck, with slight edge for spiderman, due to PS fans.

The one that will carry this game is PC/Steam users. Just like cyberpunk2077 got carried by PC community.

Luigi Mario

Nothing from MS charts anymore... you want to know why? Game Pass. They spend 5+ years conditioning their customers to not buy games, just sub with those crazy, cheap stacking deals as well as free subs with easy to do rewards points.

Now you know why NPD/Circana is no longer giving platform splits for software starting a month or two ago after MS admitted GP cannibalizes software sales to the regulators. And, we are getting tweets saying software splits in both markets are in the PS2/OG Xbox era. Which is even more crazy considering how much closer these boxes are to each other volume wise compared to back then.
I remember asking about this in the January or February NPD thread, because I saw on Piscatella’s Twitter that they were getting rid of platform-specific charts.

Taking games away from other consoles doesn't either. The games aren't exclusive to gamepass. They're going to sell The games to people who do not subscribe too
Oh well Sony has also 'taken away games' from other platforms. It's called business. Netflix fans were really upset when all those Marvel series went to Disney+. In both cases the IP owner made a choice to put their content in their ecosystem.
2 months vs forever is not even close to the same.
Makes no difference. No game Sony makes is ever promised to hit any platforms other than PlayStation. All games MS makes will hit multiple platforms and not just Xbox. I like options, you may not.
Youre the one who brought up Sony's head start. They've had more than enough time to catch up. If not for Microsoft backing them they might be gone from the hardware space. Like Sega that you mentioned
If you say so. Plenty of companies could have come out and taken the top cola spot from Coke. It hasn't happened yet. Market leaders don't lose that spot easily. Thankfully MS is not Sega and like it or not they will continue to support their customers and aren't going anywhere. They don't have to outsell PlayStation to be successful and support their customers.
Because it's related to their strategy. Take away. That yield will come from financial might that very few companies can match. I wouldn't brag about that either. That ecosystem was going to get all of those games anyway.
Again Sony takes stuff all the time. It's how they compete. I'm sure you don't complain when they do it though because you prefer that platform. Xbox was always going to get Street Fighter 5 and Final Fantasy 7R anyway right? There is no need to secure any content at all. No one ever takes any games except MS. Hilarious.

I'm glad MS is well funded. It will ensure that the same thing that happened to Sega fans won't happen to Xbox fans and that's a good thing. More platform choices are better than fewer. Having only one 'high performance console' would be terrible for consumers.
Well, it's included in your subscription. I could understand if it was a gamepass exclusive. Since it's not I'm categorizing in the take away column. It's all fair but it's not exactly shrewd maneuvering and it is completely transparent. If you're going to sell it anyway then sell it to as many people as possible, since they don't care about console sales.
Starfield wasn't taken away from anyone. People can easily play the game in multiple ways. Again MS doesn't even require you to buy their console to access their games. Still pretty funny you complain about MS taking stuff away when other companies do the same thing. It is business and people should get used to it. It is what it is.

I have also never claimed MS 'doesn't care about console sales'. Consoles aren't the only way they can get customers. That diversity is a better business strategy for them. It's completely fair and pretty shrewd too. Future CoD sales on PS5 and Switch will fund future Xbox titles. It's a great example of selling a title to as many people as possible as you claim. MS can sell CoD and Minecraft on multiple consoles and make games like Starfield exclusive to their ecosystem. Looks like more of that diversification MS has been doing in this space again.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes. Some people do not like consoles and refuse to play on them. People can go in many different directions when it comes to gaming. Just because someone doesn't buy an Xbox doesn't mean MS has lost a customer. You can be an 'Xbox' customer whether you buy a console, play on PC, or stream on a tablet. So lower console sales alone doesn't mean failure. Certainly not in the way it would mean for Sony and Nintendo.

This forum just happens to be mainly focused on console and thinking that console sales are the only way to be successful. It just isn't true. I doubt MS will ever sell fewer consoles than they did with the original Xbox and after that loss they remained in the console business. MS isn't going anywhere and neither is Xbox. The console will remain one of many ways MS gives their customers to access their ecosystem.

Based on what? Console sales, the thing they've never 'won' at? They are buying more studios to feed their ecosystem with new content. Who said everything is going 'fine'? If you think MS has made no growth since they've entered console gaming you haven't been paying attention and buying more studios is not a sign of failure. Bottom line is Xbox customers will have lots of content to play and many studios making that content. If that's failure I'm OK with it.
Question: So since Xbox doesn’t really care about console sales and are more interested in selling software and making customers regardless of platforms, why don’t they release their first-party games on PlayStation? 🤔

In addition to not releasing first-party games on PlayStation, MS also keeps buying other multiplatform companies and make their games exclusives, limiting their software reach.

Why?

This goes directly against what you’re saying.

Klayzer

Oh well Sony has also 'taken away games' from other platforms. It's called business. Netflix fans were really upset when all those Marvel series went to Disney+. In both cases the IP owner made a choice to put their content in their ecosystem.

Makes no difference. No game Sony makes is ever promised to hit any platforms other than PlayStation. All games MS makes will hit multiple platforms and not just Xbox. I like options, you may not.

If you say so. Plenty of companies could have come out and taken the top cola spot from Coke. It hasn't happened yet. Market leaders don't lose that spot easily. Thankfully MS is not Sega and like it or not they will continue to support their customers and aren't going anywhere. They don't have to outsell PlayStation to be successful and support their customers.

Again Sony takes stuff all the time. It's how they compete. I'm sure you don't complain when they do it though because you prefer that platform. Xbox was always going to get Street Fighter 5 and Final Fantasy 7R anyway right? There is no need to secure any content at all. No one ever takes any games except MS. Hilarious.

I'm glad MS is well funded. It will ensure that the same thing that happened to Sega fans won't happen to Xbox fans and that's a good thing. More platform choices are better than fewer. Having only one 'high performance console' would be terrible for consumers.

Starfield wasn't taken away from anyone. People can easily play the game in multiple ways. Again MS doesn't even require you to buy their console to access their games. Still pretty funny you complain about MS taking stuff away when other companies do the same thing. It is business and people should get used to it. It is what it is.

I have also never claimed MS 'doesn't care about console sales'. Consoles aren't the only way they can get customers. That diversity is a better business strategy for them. It's completely fair and pretty shrewd too. Future CoD sales on PS5 and Switch will fund future Xbox titles. It's a great example of selling a title to as many people as possible as you claim. MS can sell CoD and Minecraft on multiple consoles and make games like Starfield exclusive to their ecosystem. Looks like more of that diversification MS has been doing in this space again.
Sorry bro. Securing exclusive deals for a limited time, is not the same as buying large publishers outright. It never will be, no matter how much you try to equate it as such.

graywolf323

I mean you obviously gotta give Phil 15-20 years to clean up the mess that he ‘inherited’ from the ~5 years of Mattrick (please ignore the fact that Phil was the head of Xbox Game Studios during the decline of their first part development)

Well... Umm...

sJgA2OI.jpg
hey now, where did you get that photo of @adamsapple’s private shrine?

Last edited:

Unknown?

When have they taken publishers away though? And usually their exclusives are timed, not permanent.

FrankWza

They owned those ips and kept them to themselves to grow their own streaming service. Comparison? Nobody cares about xbox keeping halo and forza

All games MS makes will hit multiple platforms and not just Xbox. I like options, you may not.
They don't make those games, they bought them to keep them away. Not exclusive to xbox just not on Nintendo and PlayStation. The 2 most popular console options in video game history.

Thankfully MS is not Sega and like it or not they will continue to support their customers and aren't going anywhere. They don't have to outsell PlayStation to be successful and support their customers.
You mean xbox is not like Sega. And that's because they are backed by Microsoft. They have not, can not and will not be able to compete without that backing or withoutt their new "strategy"
Now that they own Bethesda, their customers are Bethesda customers. Giving them less options is not support.

Buying publishers isn't competition. Xbox or Nintendo could have secured deals for those games. They were out- maneuvered. Sony and Nintendo or xbox can't buy publishers. Microsoft can. Apple can. See?
Starfield wasn't taken away from anyone
Bethesda was never going to keep their game off of an inevitable 100million selling console. Until phil played take away.
Still pretty funny you complain about MS taking stuff away when other companies do the same thing.
Pointing things out isn't complaining. When people had a choice they chose over and over, generation after generation, decade after decade. You know that.

I have also never claimed MS 'doesn't care about console sales
No you just change it depending on what point you're trying to prove. You've been championing the series s since launch as one of your beloved "choices" you're so glad to have. See the numbers? You were wrong.
It's completely fair
Totally

pretty shrewd too
Not at all. Again, their opportunity is solely based on the ability of Microsoft being one of a handful of companies with the funds within the scope of the industry to buy publishers of this size. None of this is Phil and xbox division
Future CoD sales on PS5 and Switch will fund future Xbox titles. It's a great example of selling a title to as many people as possible as you claim. MS can sell CoD and Minecraft on multiple consoles and make games like Starfield exclusive to their ecosystem. Looks like more of that diversification MS has been doing in this space again.
This is coping. If they were able to keep COD exclusive you would rent out your nearest arena and have a party.

Lets look at some of the sales disasters in recent years:

- Gotham Knights
- Callisto Protocol
- Morbius movie
- Buzz Lightyear movie
- Google Stadia
- PS VR2
- Call of Duty Vanguard

Are we going to blame the PR and marketing guys for all these failures? Or the people who made it? Are you saying disney has forgotten how to market movies? Are you saying the same sony marketing head that made Spiderman No Way Home a $2 billion movie is responsible for Morbius flopping? Are you saying that google which is literally the biggest advertising firm on the planet doesnt know how to market stadia? Is Sony who is breaking records with the PS5 responsible for PSVR2 flopping?

Nah, the marketing guys are not responsible for a products success. it's the product itself.
I found nothing wrong with Callisto Protocol or Vanguard and to me you should blame the PR people of VR2 because they've done a terrible job of pushing it and you can hen go on and blame SONY for not making In-House games for it. At least with Series X one knows the games are coming, it's just the bloody wait.

If you want to talk moves I still play the PR people of FOX for destroying NightBreed chances at the box office with utter crap PR that also missed the point of the film

Opinions you don't agree with aren't trolling.

No one cares if Xbox is making money. Xbox continues to lose mindshare and market share. They've struggled to be competitive because they have people in key positions who don't have clue when it comes to gaming like they did during the OG and 360 days. A bigger PR budget won't help if they don't have anything compelling to sell to consumers.
It is trolling and lame fanboy point scoring BYE BYE

Top Bottom