• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think 3ds managed to sell over a million consoles

when it was severely understocked even before november

i mean its possible, if nintendo just dumped a million 3dses into the market

but its unlikely

“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S., and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,”

XBOX ONE IS COMING FOR YO' ASS PS4.

console-wars-q3-2015-new.001-980x735.jpeg

I kid, I kid. Good that X1 saw some year-over-year growth. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year.

On Demand

Banned
Sony’s system likely got a boost in December from the launch of a handful of major games that were either exclusive to PS4 or have a larger fan base on that platform. The Last Guardian, a puzzle platformer from Sony’s internal studios, launched that month after nearly a decade of development and delays. Final Fantasy XV also debuted in December, and that game, while also available on Xbox One, sold far better on PS4.

Would love to know the split for FF15.

Aqua please.

ethomaz

Banned
Why would MS not be talking about just pure unit sales? They have never used revenue as a measuring stick when comparing YoY.
Because with MS you never know the truth.

At first I read like you but he didn't said specifically hardware like old PRs with yoy grown.

allan-bh

Great month for both, I'm happy to see after november.

Xbox One S did the job for Microsoft, YoY growth is great news for them.
Pro must have put PS4 on the top.

Cess007

Microsoft: "If you take out the months in which we lost, we actually won!"

What's with all the "Scorpio" posts?

I must've missed something, I don't get it :/

Care to explain, anyone, please?

Someone went and just posted "Scorpio" in a PS4 sale thread to bait/derail. It kinda became a meme. And at this point, it's just almost never funny anymore

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Microsoft also pointed out that PS4 sales slid year-over-year, and that Xbox One actually outsold Sony’s system in the second half of 2016. So while PS4 outperformed Xbox One in last two months of the year, which are crucial to overall sales, the systems are a bit closer than they were in 2014 and 2015.

What did MS mean to say: did the Xbox One outsell the PS4 when you combine sales of all 6 months of 2016, or did the Xbox One outsell the PS4 for a while in the second half of 2016?

OldRoutes

Is it normal to comment on your competitor like this?

They didn't.

What did MS mean to say: did the Xbox One outsell the PS4 when you combine sales of all 6 months of 2016, or did the Xbox One outsell the PS4 for a while in the second half of 2016?

It's in the OP

”December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S., and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,"
”In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3."

Kacho

Well congrats to Sony on winning the two most important months of the year. Their brand is really powerful and even with Scorpio I'm thinking MS will continue to struggle.

I can't imagine what they could be playing on it.

What does this even mean? All you do is constantly shitpost.

I don't get what they mean by "the two consoles are a bit closer than they were in 2014 and 2015".

If PS4 won 2016 as a whole aren't the two consoles actually farther apart now?

I don't get what they mean by "the two consoles are a bit closer than they were in 2014 and 2015".

If PS4 won 2016 as a whole aren't the two consoles actually further apart now?

It's desperation, they are a bit closer, means nothing, sony had a massive holiday last year because of better bundles, that's the only difference, and Slim launched, other then that it is status quo.

JusDoIt

So this means the PS4 outsold the XB1 in the US in 2016 as a whole?

I understand that PR is gonna PR, but I can't help but smile at the spin. These figures are actually fairly relevant because of the launch of new hardware, so fair game.

Yeah, their whole statement is "according to NPD," so they're basically admitting they lost the US to Sony last year. Worldwide numbers would be even less in their favor.

Carl

Ha I love that MS statement. "if you ignore the part of the year where they outsold us, we actually outsold them"

Both consoles did really well which is great to see

Anticol

Banned
Microsoft also pointed out that PS4 sales slid year-over-year, and that Xbox One actually outsold Sony's system in the second half of 2016. So while PS4 outperformed Xbox One in last two months of the year, which are crucial to overall sales, the systems are a bit closer than they were in 2014 and 2015.

How can they be closer if PS4 sold more over the whole year? I mean, they are closer than at the first half of the year but not closer than they were in 2014 and 2015 if they count all of 2016.

Edit: it was answered two posts above me, sry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom