• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I love the 6 month wide goal posts

pzUPiXy.jpg

at least they increased it from just being holidays?

pswii60

In 2015. You had Battlefront AND COD bundles. Two very popular titles. Shit sold a lot.

What I'm curious about is. These next 4 months and all the games coming out show the PS4 to be very attractive. Yakuza, KH 2.8, RE7, GR2, Horizon, Neir, ME:A, Persona 5. MLB:The show? etc.

Now obviously the heavy hitters will be RE7, Horizon and ME:A. But I'm wonder with all these games. Exclusive, 3rd party exclusive and just 3rd party games in general will keep the PS4 coasting sales wise until this fall.

Because I feel the PS4 could potentially explode this fall sales wise with RDR2, Destiny 2 and battlefront bundles with a cheaper console.
I'm sure this fall will be absolutely massive, although I'd expect most people who want those games will already own a PS4 or XBO, but I know I'll be surprised.

RoKKeR

Next year might be RDR2, Destiny 2, COD 2017, Star Wars, etc could be insane

+ what will likely be a very cheap PS4 Slim. I think 2017 will probably be their biggest year yet. (I know I'll likely be adding +1 to the column next year or in 2018)

jmaine_ph

I'm really curious to see how publisher will manage release date. Ideal situation for MS and Sony would be like this in my opinion:

September Destiny
October RDR 2
November Cod and BF 2

So you can work with different strategies at different time.

Yea I can see that.

Theorry

I'm really curious to see how publisher will manage release date. Ideal situation for MS and Sony would be like this in my opinion:

September Destiny
October RDR 2
November Cod and BF 2

So you can work with different strategies at different time.

People still believe RDR2 is coming in 2017?
We havent a gotten our first delay yet. :D

Fuchsdh

I mean claim spin and PR all you want (yes it gets old from MS) but it's a damn impressive month for Xbone (and of course PS4 as well)

At this point in the console generation, I guess I was wrong. I honestly expected overall console sales wouldn't hit the benchmarks set by last generation, but XB1 and PS4 seem to be outperforming their predecessors significantly, and for PS4 as the market leader that's pretty incredible in the era of PCs and smartphones.

I remember when people acted like it was impossible for Sony to win the holiday..

WE EATING GOOD TONIGHT FAM!

just having some fun hehe

Last few months the narrative has been "X1S is more desireable" lol, which was silly. X1s It was more of an incentive for current x1 owners to upgrade then current ps4 owners to ps4 slim, that's all it was mainly, things are going back to normal now with ps4 winning most months,

kswiston

It's good for console wars, but the gap in either direction doesnt mean much when it's pretty minor in terms of both consoles' ltd sales. I think we are far enough into the generation to call a SNES/Genesis type race in the US for the XB1 and PS4. Whoever wins won't be doing so by all that much (unless scorpio ends up being a new platform instead of the answer to the ps4 pro).

Unfortunately for Microsoft, it's also a SNES vs Genesis type race outside of the US.

dabig2

Hes saying they didnt get beat as badly as they did in 2014 and 2015, its really sad.

You take wins whenever and wherever you can. Happy to contribute to Xbox's best month ever, but Sony's software advantage the first half of this year along with their prices reaching parity with the Xbox (those insane discounts really helped MS during those 4 months) will probably give MS's PR spin some pause.

The 4k blu ray thing still baffles me to this day. You mean to tell me that casuals would have bought the xbox one because to the 4k blu ray player when they themselves dont own a 4k tv, nor can they really tell the difference between 4k and a 1080p blu ray? I used to wonder why people said things like that.

The xbox one was selling more in prior months simply because of the new design and people who already own and xbox one phat bought the new one as well, and people were holding out to buy Ps4 pro, and black friday sales on the ps4 slim.

I hope we dont go through this again next holiday season, because again Sony will win again. With the slim, hitting 199, and with the pro being 349, with Red dead, Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty marketing, thats too much of a force. A $499 scorpio system isn't going to give MS the win in any way shape of form. Period

Loris146

It's good for console wars, but the gap in either direction doesnt mean much when it's pretty minor in terms of both consoles' ltd sales. I think we are far enough into the generation to call a SNES/Genesis type race in the US for the XB1 and PS4. Whoever wins won't be doing so by all that much (unless scorpio ends up being a new platform instead of the answer to the ps4 pro).

Unfortunately for Microsoft, it's also a SNES vs Genesis type race outside of the US.

If scorpio is a new platform then sales will be divided from XB1. A new PS family situation maybe. Tretton would be proud.

Welfare

360 was supply constrained at launch I think.

For like 5 months.

Xbox 360 LTD 3 years after launch (Nov 2005 - December 2008): 13,856,000
Xbox One LTD 3 years after launch (Nov 2013 - November 2016): ~14.3M

Assuming ~1.4M this December, then XB1 is at ~15.7M.

~1.4M is actually on par with the 360 in December 2008 as it sold 1,440,000 then.

how can it sell more than 360 ? that launched without any competition didnt it ?
Because X360 had rather weird life. For example its peak year was 2011 and it launched 2005. Xbox One in 2016 compares to 2008 X360 when while beating PS3 X360 didn't sell that amazingly yet.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wasnt that ZhugeEx guy banned from GAF? Why is his twitter always posted around here?

Is it ok to post a source whose been banned here?

thelastword

Banned
A family bundle with Knack/Crash trilogy. The options will be crazy
By the gods, 2017 is going to be even crazier and will probably break all records for a console.

Horizon
God of War 4
Spiderman
Gran Turismo Sport
Lost Legacy
Beyond
Detroit
Nioh
Crash
Parappa/Patapon/LocoRoco
Days Gone
and many more......

Plus a possible $299 pro and $199 slim come holiday 2017, it's going to be insane...

The 4k blu ray thing still baffles me to this day. You mean to tell me that casuals would have bought the xbox one because to the 4k blu ray player when they themselves dont own a 4k tv, nor can they really tell the difference between 4k and a 1080p blu ray? I used to wonder why people said things like that.

The xbox one was selling more in prior months simply because of the new design and people who already own and xbox one phat bought the new one as well, and people were holding out to buy Ps4 pro, and black friday sales on the ps4 slim.

I hope we dont go through this again next holiday season, because again Sony will win again. With the slim, hitting 199, and with the pro being 349, with Red dead, Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty marketing, thats too much of a force. A $499 scorpio system isn't going to give MS the win in any way shape of form. Period

I don't think MS' "release shit in the last 4 months of the Year" is helping them this generation. Especially outside the US

Losing the US market after the big 360 lead last generation has to be hurting them

viHuGi

Banned
So probably around 3million HD twins sold combined? i´m loving those numbers, with Switch we are going into tens of millions!

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The 4k blu ray thing still baffles me to this day. You mean to tell me that casuals would have bought the xbox one because to the 4k blu ray player when they themselves dont own a 4k tv, nor can they really tell the difference between 4k and a 1080p blu ray? I used to wonder why people said things like that

Ha, yeah, that was my thinking as well. I consider myself a dedicated gamer and tech guy, but I don't have a 4KTV yet so the 4K blu-ray player had no appeal. And if I did have a 4KTV, I'd still get the Pro instead because it actually benefits the games.

This will be the closest November + December since these consoles launched actually.

Well Sony bundles were not great last year but MS also did really well.
Sony just had UC4 last year but i wonder what going to happen this year .
When they go bundle crazy like in 2015.

Side note they most likely made a killing money wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom