• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejin

No surprises.

I wonder what MS will do for this first quarter cause sales will probably sunk.

I don't get what they mean by "the two consoles are a bit closer than they were in 2014 and 2015".

If PS4 won 2016 as a whole aren't the two consoles actually farther apart now?

Yep.

And people said they are doomed.

Much deserved.

spinning.gif

OldRoutes

It's still desperate..."If you ignore the rest of the year we outsold then this part of the year". Hey we lost but not quite as bad, is exactly what they are saying.

So what do you want them to say in a PR? Xbox One S is doing great, as is the PS4, and they highlight the fact that they didn't get steam rolled like everybody would assume.

pswii60

My concern is that PS4 failed to grow on prior year despite Slim, Pro and VR. I wonder if One+PS4 combined showed growth on last year.

At this point in the lifecycle Sony needs to appeal beyond the core to keep in growth with PS4, so more casual and family games - hopefully this year will help with Crash, Yooka, etc.

I think MS will just be happy One is showing growth, I'm sure they know too well they can't win the gen at this point.

Toki767

So what do you want them to say in a PR? Xbox One S is doing great, as is the PS4, and they highlight the fact that they didn't get steam rolled like everybody would assume.

Xbox One was up year over year in December.

That's literally all they needed to say. Not add in "well we technically lost, but we didn't lose as much as the past two years so we won!"

Champion their own successes like they partly did? It's not hard, I mean that PR is cringy bad, it's pure desperation. Champion they had their best month ever, up YOY...No reason to steep that low. It is pretty standard stuff.

ethomaz

Banned
The gap continue to increase...

I do believe 2017 will be the peak year for PS4... let's see.

Raylan

Banned
My concern is that PS4 failed to grow on prior year despite Slim, Pro and VR. I wonder if One+PS4 combined showed growth on last year.
PS4 holiday bundle sucked, compared to the 2015 bundles.

We will see RDR2, CoD, Star Wars and Destiny 2 bundles in 2017 (is my guess).
Shit will be crazy.

This Nov let them down .
Have a feeling this might be PS4 peek year in the USA if everything comes out on time .
They have a lot of titles they can bundle since this year look better software wise.
Plus the $200 price point.

OldRoutes

Xbox One was up year over year in December.

That's literally all they needed to say. Not add in "well we technically lost, but we didn't lose as much as the past two years so we won!"

Champion their own successes like they partly did? It's not hard, I mean that PR is cringy bad, it's pure desperation. Champion they had their best month ever, up YOY...No reason to steep that low. It is pretty standard stuff.

Well I didn't read it like that. I read it as "We re-launched the Xbox One S in August and it has been a great ever since".

But, whatever... I can see how this could read as a desperate attempt. But I also feel like you guys are just really, and aggressively, reading this with a negative outlook.

I mean claim spin and PR all you want (yes it gets old from MS) but it's a damn impressive month for Xbone (and of course PS4 as well)

thelastword

Banned
I wonder if gamers are just waiting for "Scorpio"....?, perhaps then, we'll see some earth shattering numbers from MS..

See guys, that 4K blu ray drive is really selling the Xbones.

Sony dun goofed
Man, that 4k bluray drive was all the rage when it was not included in PRO....I wonder what happened...? You think bluray drive sales and importance was overstated?

Unknown?

At this point in the lifecycle Sony needs to appeal beyond the core to keep in growth with PS4, so more casual and family games - hopefully this year will help with Crash, Yooka, etc.

I think MS will just be happy One is showing growth, I'm sure they know too well they can't win the gen at this point.
Given these numbers we know PS4 is between 1.4-1.5M they weren't down that much this month at least.

Boke1879

In 2015. You had Battlefront AND COD bundles. Two very popular titles. Shit sold a lot.

What I'm curious about is. These next 4 months and all the games coming out show the PS4 to be very attractive. Yakuza, KH 2.8, RE7, GR2, Horizon, Neir, ME:A, Persona 5. MLB:The show? etc.

Now obviously the heavy hitters will be RE7, Horizon and ME:A. But I'm wonder with all these games. Exclusive, 3rd party exclusive and just 3rd party games in general will keep the PS4 coasting sales wise until this fall.

Because I feel the PS4 could potentially explode this fall sales wise with RDR2, Destiny 2 and battlefront bundles with a cheaper console.

You always need to read between the line with PR statement. Seems like MS won the second half of the year, but Sony won the year.

AudioEppa

I remember when people acted like it was impossible for Sony to win the holiday..

WE EATING GOOD TONIGHT FAM!

just having some fun hehe

vpance

I think the real growth is in SW for Sony? Anyways the RoTW are picking up any slack in console sales. NA is just extra price sensitive and need more cuts to boost sales at this point.

Most of the stores around me were not only sold out of PSVR, but regular PS4s and some were out of PS4 Pro systems during December.

Also, forgetting this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330813

Loris146

Next year might be RDR2, Destiny 2, COD 2017, Star Wars, etc could be insane

I'm really curious to see how publisher will manage release date. Ideal situation for MS and Sony would be like this in my opinion:

September Destiny
October RDR 2
November Cod and BF 2

So you can work with different strategies at different time.

icespide

Banned
as far as Microsoft spin goes it is really not that bad. some over reactions here

I also think it's cute people think RDR2 is coming out in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom