• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
Well congrats to Sony on winning the two most important months of the year. Their brand is really powerful and even with Scorpio I'm thinking MS will continue to struggle.

What does this even mean? All you do is constantly shitpost.

MS arnt struggling though, they went up against a new powerful console and have done well, looks like things were close (both are over a million).

So what I've taken away:

-UHD drive means shit (RIP physical media)

-Focusing only on the holidays has not helped MS at all this gen.

-Pro was not the megahit some hoped nor was it the 32X flop others hoped. It was...middling.

-As always, Next Holidays Will Be Interesting(tm).

So what I've taken away:

-Pro was not the megahit some hoped nor was it the 32X flop others hoped. It was...middling.

More or less.

icespide

Banned
So what I've taken away:

I'm not sure anyone actually expected the Pro to be a mega hit. it was always expected to sell modestly alongside the more popular Slim model

Closer then Launch months?

I believe so, I would have to double check though. Welfare probably has them off the top of his head if he feels like substantiating (or correcting) that.

But I believe if we end up with a roughly 200k difference for those 2 months it will be the closest this gen

I'm sure this fall will be absolutely massive, although I'd expect most people who want those games will already own a PS4 or XBO, but I know I'll be surprised.
I suspect price will be key. If we get some aggressive sales this upcoming holiday season pushing the price into the sub $200 territory, then the market opens up to a whole new category of gamers. Those new gamers will be lured by the hot games that everyone else has been playing and talking about.

CCIE

Banned
Boy, can MS spin with the best of them. They remind me of some of the sports teams I hear about with their ability to spin any situation to suit them.

FelipeMGM

Where do you get this? Japan, yes, but Microsoft seems to be doing quite well in Latin markets (particularly Mexico).

He is prob talking mainly about EU, which is the second biggest market (maybe the 1st even). Outside of the UK, they are struggling real hard there

For example in Germany they are not even 2nd, Wii U is

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
By the gods, 2017 is going to be even crazier and will probably break all records for a console.

Horizon
God of War 4
Spiderman
Gran Turismo Sport
Lost Legacy
Beyond
Detroit
Nioh
Crash
Parappa/Patapon/LocoRoco
Days Gone
and many more......

Plus a possible $299 pro and $199 slim come holiday 2017, it's going to be insane...

Yep

Persona 5
Shenmue
Resi 7
Nex Machina
Gravity Rush 2
MLB
Kingdom Hearts
Ace Combat
Hellblade
Ni No Kuni
Wipeout Collection
And the PSVR stuff

Like I said, potential to be PS4's best year in its lifetime!

So what I've taken away:

The pro isn't supposed to be a mega hit tho. it only sells to people with 4k TV's. The Slim ps4 is the one that sells to the masses. Not the Pro

Boke1879

So what I've taken away:

To your point with the Pro. I have no idea why people thought it would be a megahit. It never will at it's price and with a cheaper Slim still out there. Personally I assume over time the Slim will be phased out and the Pro will be the only PS4 on the market. Probably not until like mid 2018 tho.

The issue of Xbone sales compared with 360 is outside US where it is doing way lower than 360.

Is it though? Do we have numbers or just speculation?

Those numbers also mean that the Xbox One sales in the US are above what the Wii U managed worldwide I think. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Where do you get this? Japan, yes, but Microsoft seems to be doing quite well in Latin markets (particularly Mexico).

There is a whole world outside of Japan and latin america. Europe is a bigger market overall then US it makes up most of sony's sales and they are destroying MS there, where do you think the 20 million gap comes from.

Kacho

MS arnt struggling though, they went up against a new powerful console and have done well, looks like things were close (both are over a million).

I could have worded that better. I just meant struggle to close the gap. Even with the Scorpio I'm thinking they'll continue to lag behind since Sony's brand is so strong ATM and they'll no doubt have some cheap Pro/Slim bundles next year.

MS did well this holiday with great bundles and IMO a much better lineup of exclusives.

Fdkn

To your point with the Pro. I have no idea why people thought it would be a megahit. It never will at it's price and with a cheaper Slim still out there. Personally I assume over time the Slim will be phased out and the Pro will be the only PS4 on the market. Probably not until like mid 2018 tho.

the slim will not be phased out before the ps5 has been years on the market

ps3 is still in stores

Anticol

Banned

Mexico, with all due respect, is a tiny market, MS struggles a lot in Europe as a whole where they are nowhere near PS4 numbers, even in their second biggest market(UK) they are losing.

noobie

Banned
Second month in a row, but no surprise here. As many already expected.

Venture Beat:

Microsoft:

“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S., and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,”
“In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3.”

Link

giving graph to the statement

console-wars-q3-201512z92.jpeg

Title of the graph can be changed to Bi-Annual instead of Annual

Boke1879

what the hell? lol

i wonder if they will have many bundles, or limited quantities of some bundles (like GTA5).

will they do a defacto bundle ala UC4 with Horizon? that would be dope specially if the game delivers.

At some point I expect Horizon to take the place of the Uncharted bundle. I can see them doing a "family friendly" bundle with Knack or Crash. Maybe both lol.

But they'll no doubt have bundles for RDR2 and Destiny 2. Maybe Battlefront 2 as well if that releases this year.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This is where a good launch price and logical discounts/bundles along the way gets you. Tons of opportunities to do the same this year. All they have to keep doing is continue publishing games that complement what third parties are putting out, rather than directly competing with them for the same genre fan base time after time.

I'm also believing the anecdotes on here about Nintendo not shipping many 3DS units after the holidays. I was in Target yesterday and the whole display had a single, solitary 2DS sitting there. I'll be really surprised if the Switch launch is any later than the last week of March. It seems like they are ready to move on it, sooner rather than later.

I don't think MS' "release shit in the last 4 months of the Year" is helping them this generation.
Never understood this approach, especially if it is game that going for the same online player base as big third party games. Spread that shit out throughout the year.

ethomaz

Banned
Because launch aligned 360 is ahead WW.
If it Xbone is ahead in US then it needs to be behind outside US.

I guess it is ahead in UK too that makes... some guesstimations:

US: ~15.5m
UK: ~3.0m
Outside US & UK: ~7m

WW: 25-26m

Xbone is down YoY in 2016 WW.

PS. Why outside you think Latin America??? These are small market... EU, AUS come first.

Unknown?

Most of the stores around me were not only sold out of PSVR, but regular PS4s and some were out of PS4 Pro systems during December.

Also, forgetting this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330813
This is true also let's not assume that just because they launched Pro means they automatically have buyers for Pro on top of what the Slim would have. I think it's clear that the baseline is the same it's just those potential sells are now going to buy a Pro instead of a slim if there were no Pro on the market.

Elios83

Pro won't be less the $349 this year - they can't even keep them in stock at the current price.

Pro has been definetly undershipped so far, same for PSVR but now that they have a real feedback from the market they can adjust production accordigly.
Looking at what Sony has been doing in the recent years the 2017 pricing strategy should be cutting the official RRP to 249$ for the Slim and 349$ for the Pro with a showcase game like Horizon packed in.
On top of that we'll see prices being dropped by 50$ on BF and with promotions through December.
So we're actually looking at 199$ and 299$ for Slim and Pro during the peak of the next holiday season.
I also expect much stronger third party bundles with games like RDR2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 being packed in.

Electret

I've seen it claimed numerous times that XB1 is performing well in Latin markets, but I've never seen any numbers. Anyone have some with regard to these markets specifically?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Pretty much any discussion about worldwide sales.

edit - nice avatar

I meant more in his comparison of XBO to the 360, not the PS4 because that's well known.

Thanks man ;)

Edit:

Because launch aligned 360 is ahead WW.
If it Xbone is ahead in US then it needs to be behind outside US.

I guess it is ahead in UK too that makes... some guesstimations:

US: ~15.5m
UK: ~3.0m
Outside US & UK: ~7m

WW: 25-26m

Xbone is down YoY in 2016 WW.

PS. Why outside you think Latin America??? These are small market... EU, AUS come first.

Those numbers make sense.

I don't know if AUS should come ahead of Mexico. Mexico has a population of 120 Million plus and is no doubt growing fast as a gaming market.

ethomaz

Banned
I've seen it claimed numerous times that XB1 is performing well in Latin markets, but I've never seen any numbers. Anyone have some with regard to these markets specifically?
I can say about Brasil where 360 did better than both XB1 and PS4 in 2014 for example.

I don't believe any console (XB1 or PS4) sold more than 360 or PS3 here... it can happen in the future of course... sad I don't have any number or yoy comparison... ohhhh and it is normal PS2 did better than PS3 and 360 in the first years too (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008...).

PS2 LTD is over 5 million here if anybody is curious.

PS. Two years ago my brother was working on Magazine Luiza and 360 was the best selling console there by a good margin... Kinect with some dance game was that popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom