• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your point with the Pro. I have no idea why people thought it would be a megahit. It never will at it's price and with a cheaper Slim still out there. Personally I assume over time the Slim will be phased out and the Pro will be the only PS4 on the market. Probably not until like mid 2018 tho.

Sony have been very cautious with the Pro. No huge marketing campaign, pretty plain looking packing etc. Maybe they were concerned about scaring off possible PS4 buyers who thought they were getting an "inferior" machine with the Slim but weren't prepared to pay more for the Pro? Whatever the reasoning is, it really seems like Sony have just cautiously dipped their toes into the mid-gen upgrade pool.

I expect a very different approach from Microsoft with the Scorpio.

LkeusqX.jpg
lol

PS4 Pro is a PS4, you will not get a split, so stop trying to figure shit out you will never know. PS4 NPD is PS4 NPD. How many times have Sony have to tell you that the PS4 Pro is a PS4.

Jumeira

Banned
I could have worded that better. I just meant struggle to close the gap. Even with the Scorpio I'm thinking they'll continue to lag behind since Sony's brand is so strong ATM and they'll no doubt have some cheap Pro/Slim bundles next year.

MS did well this holiday with great bundles and IMO a much better lineup of exclusives.
They did do well, and E3 will give us a better idea on thier prospects, but if you go back to E3 2016, the feeling was Xbox S would fail miserably, but since release it's boosted the sales of X1. Not sure why people are shying away from numbers and facts here regarding growth and focusing on PR wording, it's not helpful.

Cess007

I meant more in his comparison of XBO to the 360, not the PS4 because that's well known.

Thanks man ;)

Edit:

Those numbers make sense.

I don't know if AUS should come ahead of Mexico. Mexico has a population of 120 Million plus and is no doubt growing fast as a gaming market.

With the peso on historical lows against the dollar; don't bet on that man.

I've seen it claimed numerous times that XB1 is performing well in Latin markets, but I've never seen any numbers. Anyone have some with regard to these markets specifically?

Well here in Peru the poor Xbox is struggling to even maintain relevance, Ive heard that Uruguay and Chile are places where things are more even, and that Mexico is pretty much an Xbox only country.

viHuGi

Banned
I can say about Brasil where 360 did better than both XB1 and PS4 in 2014 for example.

I don't believe any console (XB1 or PS4) sold more than 360 or PS3 here... it can happen in the future of course... sad I don't have any number or yoy comparison... ohhhh and it is normal PS2 did better than PS3 and 360 in the first years too 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008).

PS2 LTD is over 5 million here if anybody is curious.

360 was an absolute monster in Brazil.

At some point I expect Horizon to take the place of the Uncharted bundle. I can see them doing a "family friendly" bundle with Knack or Crash. Maybe both lol.

But they'll no doubt have bundles for RDR2 and Destiny 2. Maybe Battlefront 2 as well if that releases this year.

that would be cool seeing a Crash bundle though, kids these days need to know whats up
also i would like a new game if it is successful enough for Sony and ACTI

i doubt RDR2 comes out this year but i agree.

So what do you want them to say in a PR? Xbox One S is doing great, as is the PS4, and they highlight the fact that they didn't get steam rolled like everybody would assume.

No one assumed they'd get steamrolled. In fact, many people actually thought, and with solid logic, that the X1S would win December specifically because the Pro launch was out of the way.

In many ways, December was more of an indicator for how base demand for the X1 is, and how strong the momentum of demand the X1 S was able to maintain going into the holidays.

ianpm31

Well here in Peru the poor Xbox is struggling to even maintain relevance, Ive heard that Uruguay and Chile are places where things are more even, and that Mexico is pretty much an Xbox only country.

I've heard there is a huge price difference between ps4 and xb1....Not quite sure why. Maybe some kind of tax?

Best part

4K blu Ray didn't mean much, no more Ps4 is less "desirable". Congrats Sony! Now bring on crash!
This will be a harsh realization for the people who were not happy about UHD BR being excluded from the Pro. In the end, it looks like Sony made the right choice!

Anticol

Banned
I meant more in his comparison of XBO to the 360, not the PS4 because that's well known.

Thanks man ;)

Edit:

Those numbers make sense.

I don't know if AUS should come ahead of Mexico. Mexico has a population of 120 Million plus and is no doubt growing fast as a gaming market.

This post reminds me the China xbox market post.

Am I allowed to say no one cares about mid-generation spec bumps?

What a stupid strategy.
It's not a stupid strategy. It is the same strategy that got us higher end models with just an increase in hard drive size last gen.

Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.

That is what matters most, and the Pro came in with the same price as would be typical of the high end model. People really aren't grasping what Sony has been saying all along. The Pro isn't a new generation. It is just another model of the base PS4. In that capacity the Pro is an absolutely fantastic new entry when you compare it to an ordinary 2TB PS4 high end console we typically would have gotten.

Elios83

Am I allowed to say no one cares about mid-generation spec bumps?

What a stupid strategy.

It's not true that no one cares, there is a market for high end consoles just like there is a market for high end graphics cards.
In Japan for example the Pro is giving a nice 10k weekly boost to PS4 total sales (so 40k for a full month) and those sales are gained through a very profitable product instead of using promotions and price cuts. That is good. The mistake was believing that everyone would buy the most powerful hardware regardless of price and other factors and it's a mistake that many fans are doing when thinking about Scorpio as well.
I remember that in September and October there were some crazy predictions about the Slim being a total flop and the holiday season being dominated by the Pro for Sony. As it turns out, Sony had really conservative expectations about the Pro, so much that they can't keep them in stock easily so they expected and designed this product thinking that it would indeed only cater to enthusiasts with high tech TVs.

Aahahaha LOL shameless.

gogojira

Marketing guy doing his best (lol) for the product he represents, crazy!

Haha come on, that's a pretty funny one even for a PR guy. The way he breaks it up almost makes you think Xbox took the month when he's talking about the back half of a year.

Rob2K19

Congrats to Sony, MS, and Nintendo for another great gaming holiday.

PS4 Pro is a PS4, you will not get a split, so stop trying to figure shit out you will never know. PS4 NPD is PS4 NPD. How many times have Sony have to tell you that the PS4 Pro is a PS4.

Hey, stop using common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom