• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

The numbers. Are. Legit.

My God.

Also, "We've sold 50 million consoles! PS4 is the fastest selling ever! Biggest BF week in the brand's history!"

GAF: Consoles are dying.

Lol.

PS4 WW is only a small amount behind PS2 and that is with the death of the Japanese market .
PS4\X1 ahead of PS3\360 at same time frame but yeah it seem consoles are dying .
It seem like people think every year going to have growth no matter what .

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I guess Ultra HD movie support isn't as important as many were saying.

I'm genuinely surprised though. Xbox S seemed front and center in every ad, waving free games and pretty colored controllers with a sexy looking Battlefield One console. PS4 came across as a no effort Uncharted 4 Bundle *yawn* on some page in the videogame section of the ads.

I expected Xbox S to slaughter PS4.

I expected Xbox S to slaughter PS4.

At the peak of XB1-PS4's differentiation of value (Holiday 2014, AssCreed bundle vs Vanilla PS4), even with the significant differentiation in value, PS4 still sold quite well. Anecdotally I remember that for every 10 XB sold, 7 PS4s are sold as well.

Sure, at the scale of millions, that kind of differentiation would give a sales gap of hundreds of thousands, but that means that the base perceived value of PS4 is not weak to the extent that even if it didn't have good deals, it can still sell "respectably" well on its own.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
If the gap was only 100k then MS PR team missed a trick with their release as XB1 has been the best selling console in the US for the last 5 months*

*Combined sales July to November

blakep267

If the gap was only 100k then MS PR team missed a trick with their release as XB1 has been the best selling console in the US for the last 5 months*

*Combined sales July to November
Nah I expect them to do that after December if the gap is small again. "Xbox Won the holidays:Xbox was the most purchased console during the holidays"

*September-December in the US

The numbers. Are. Legit.

My God.

Also, "We've sold 50 million consoles! PS4 is the fastest selling ever! Biggest BF week in the brand's history!"

GAF: Consoles are dying.

Lol.

Who are you? Do you have verified access to the data?
Its not really about the numbers, like you said, PS4 just had its best week and is keeping up with the PS2, its more about knowing if a source is credible.

People who jump to conclusions such as AAA is dying (I think the games were just of a lower quality or had less anticipation in most cases) or next gen dying are being needlessly hyperbolic, something we all witnessed at the beginning of this gen, before PS4/XB1 quickly quietened them down.

Elandyll

Banned
Last year had Star Wars bundles and COD bundles.

This year one bundle, oh an a limited FF15 bundle for December.
Just to correct...

Last year had regular TLOU bundle, Battlefront bundle, and the LE $449 Blops3 1Tb bundle which wasn't a big feature during BF.
The regular Blops 3 bundle came out mid December.

Still finding hard to reconcile a 500k unit drop in the US with a mere 3% yoy increase in UK and the "best BF week in the PS history ever" bit.

Kill3r7

Both companies released hardware revisions and Sony even released a more powerful console. How exactly are such heavy drops fine?

Last year was an outlier. The perfect storm of price drops, deals and popular bundles. Also one could argue that the sales for these consoles were front loaded hence the mid gen revisions. Additionally, this year was a particularly poor year for AAA games, sales wise.

kadotsu

Banned
The core market is probably close to saturated hardware wise and the prices are still too high to get a more casual crowd interested. Sales will pick up again when we reach the $199 price point. There also needs to be a push for more all ages software to go in tandem with that price point.The T2L fad is over and we are back to Pokémon being the only hit kids game. VR could be a gateway but it is waaay overpriced and too hard to set up.

Last year was an outlier. The perfect storm of price drops, deals and popular bundles. Also one could argue that the sales for these consoles were front loaded hence the mid gen revisions. Additionally, this year was a particularly poor year for AAA games, sales wise.

I see, thanks.

We have 50m ltd info few days ago.
Why we need NPD number to prove anything?

NPD allows a gauge of how ROW market looks like now.

The road from 40mil to 50mil PS4 LTD, using US data, can allow us to gauge how much of the 10 mil was contributed by US, then extrapolated to other regions for a sense check.

Unknown?

Just to correct...

Still finding hard to reconcile a 500k unit drop in the US with a mere 3% yoy increase in UK and the "best BF week in the PS history ever" bit.

Yeah that's what I've been saying. Nearly half a million drop in the US and the second largest single market is only up 3%? BF isn't a thing in Asia or most of Europe and even where it is(UK/Germany) its a tiny fraction compared to what it is here in the US. It's hard to add up. It's unlikely they'd be talking about revenue either with their big seller down so much and at a cheaper price.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Up YOY, but no idea how much. With the resurgence since Pokemon Go and the news that Pokemon Sun/Moon were the biggest releases, yet, being up YOY is hardly surprising. Hopefully Nintendo will say how much next Thursday with the PR releases.
The King has returned.

Kyoufu

I think I'll wait for a more credible source before putting any stock into November numbers. Some red flags over the Windows Central source. Cool beans if their figures are right, but I'll wait.

STEaMkb

The Windows Central source for 100k figure appears to be Mooch and Crapgamer, according to one Redditor who did some digging.

Oh... So, how long until we get reliable data?

Utmost caution is warranted, but that doesn't necessarily mean the information is wrong. If it turns out to be correct, you have to wonder why Microsoft are happy to be seen talking and leaking information to these guys. They are not nice people.

Elandyll

Banned
It was only matter of time after Japanese market death.
US is dying, long live Europe.
Again, not saying the numbers arent legit, but they just make little sense.

US would be down 500k, UK just about flat yoy, but the rest of Europe and Asia would not just be flat yoy with a very successful 2015, but up enough to go above 500k units on top of last year?

I'm gonna need some receipts here...
Either those numbers aren't real, or the Sony PR was so full of spin it'd give Greenberg a whiplash.

Unknown?

US would be down 500k, UK just about flat yoy, but the rest of Europe and Asia would not just be flat yoy with a very successful 2015, but up enough to go above 500k units on top of last year?

Either those numbers aren't real, or the Sony PR was so full of spin it'd give Greenberg a whiplash.
He's just joking and I don't think he actually believes it. That's exactly what I've been thinking though.

What would Sony be spinning .
They said they had there best ever BF sales which becoming more of a WW thing .
Along with them reaching 50 million WW .
It's not like we ever get numbers for BF week only .

Elios83

I'd wait for a trusted source honestly.
They might as well be real and in that case I can already say they'd be disappointing for both consoles, but is it a coincidence that numbers got leaked to a Microsoft fansite through sources affiliated with Crapgamer as damage control with an article to say that afterall even if Xbox lost the gap is relatively small?

Wagram

The Windows Central source for 100k figure appears to be Mooch and Crapgamer, according to one Redditor who did some digging.

The author of the article Jez Corden appeared on Fridays episode of the CrossFire Podcast hosted by Mooch and Crapgamer where he explicitly says he does not know if Sony beat Microsoft by a large margin or a small margin. During the same podcast, Mooch comments that he has insiders within Microsoft that inform him that Novembers gap is around 100k. The full podcast is later uploaded to YouTube. Jez Corden next writes his Windows Central piece citing an unnamed source who says the gap between the two systems is 100k.

Why is WC entertaining these clowns?

Which means tales from ass. Those two are grade a clowns.

Unknown?

What would Sony be spinning .
They said they had there best ever BF sales which becoming more of a WW thing .
Along with them reaching 50 million WW .
It's not like we ever get numbers for BF week only .
Because it would be next to impossible they'd be down 23% in the US and more than make up for that elsewhere. UK was only up 3% and that is their next biggest market. That 150k they did does not make up for 450k because 97% of it was making up for last year. Only 4.5k actually made up for a 450k loss in the US. Then you have the rest of Europe which are smaller markets than the U.K. PS4 would have to be up hundreds of thousands there and Black Friday isn't big in most of those markets. Japan did well but not a huge increase from last year. It is possible but highly improbable. Last year was their best BF until this year because of strong US sells. If the numbers were down to 1.3 M in the US it'd be more believable that they could make it up elsewhere but these numbers suggest a HUGE hit in their largest market.

Xando

Because it would be next to impossible they'd be down 23% in the US and more than make up for that elsewhere. UK was only up 3% and that is their next biggest market. That 150k they did does not make up for 450k because 97% of it was making up for last year. Only 4.5k actually made up for a 450k loss in the US. Then you have the rest of Europe which are smaller markets than the U.K. PS4 would have to be up hundreds of thousands there and Black Friday isn't big in most of those markets. Japan did well but not a huge increase from last year. It is possible but highly improbable.

Wasn't UK and Germany basically around the same for PS4? Also France is only slightly smaller.

PS4 had crazy deals here in germany. You could get a slim for 196€ and other bundles with 1-2 games for 250€.

noshten

I'm still more interested in software sales, if they are not down by a large percentage when we discount IW being down 50% with no one picking up the slack. We should be fine.
Obviously it's somewhat problematic if Pokemon takes up too large of percentage in the overall SW sales because that might signal problems for some publishers/studios. MS/Sony/Nintendo aren't worried but having one or two games under-perform in November can have lasting impacts on a publisher's plans long term or cripple a studio.

Back in 2014, one of the known gaming stores in Malaysia had a black friday sale. I went with my sister to get our ps4. I thought people in Malaysia didn't really care about bf sales but boy oh boy was I wrong(had to wait in line standing for four hours; line was insane). Fortunately the employees were generous enough to hand out free mineral water. Completely anecdotal though.

I'm sure when we look into markets like Australia, NZ, SEA, China, Eastern Europe, Russia - Sony has probably build a large lead and with WW sales in different markets and digital distribution being a possibility for emerging markets they are doing very well for themselves. Honestly if I was in their position I'd invest into FP games or strike up partnerships with 3rd parties about aggressive digital discounts/pricing in emerging console markets.

Because it would be next to impossible they'd be down 23% in the US and more than make up for that elsewhere. UK was only up 3% and that is their next biggest market. That 150k they did does not make up for 450k because 97% of it was making up for last year. Only 4.5k actually made up for a 450k loss in the US. Then you have the rest of Europe which are smaller markets than the U.K. PS4 would have to be up hundreds of thousands there and Black Friday isn't big in most of those markets. Japan did well but not a huge increase from last year. It is possible but highly improbable.

Where are you getting last year numbers from .
Also i should note that Sony BF week is Nov. 21, through Sunday, Nov. 27 .

Back in 2014, one of the known gaming stores in Malaysia had a black friday sale. I went with my sister to get our ps4. I thought people in Malaysia didn't really care about bf sales but boy oh boy was I wrong(had to wait in line standing for four hours; line was insane). Fortunately the employees were generous enough to hand out free mineral water. Completely anecdotal though.

Unknown?

Wasn't UK and Germany basically around the same for PS4? Also France is only slightly smaller.

PS4 had crazy deals here in germany. You could get a slim for 196€ and other bundles with 1-2 games for 250€.
For PS4, yes but not the overall console market. Even so Germany would have to be up more than 50% from a record breaking year to even make a sizable difference to the loss in the United States with the U.K. only able to make up a 5k difference out of 450k+

Where are you getting last year numbers from .
Also i should note that Sony BF week is Nov. 21, through Sunday, Nov. 27 .

Somewhere in this thread or the PAL thread shows they did about 150k on BF week for a 3% increase yoy.

PS4 WW is only a small amount behind PS2 and that is with the death of the Japanese market .
PS4X1 ahead of PS3360 at same time frame but yeah it seem consoles are dying .
It seem like people think every year going to have growth no matter what .

Yeah everything seems rosy as long as you forget the Wii and Wii U exist...

Just to correct...

Last year had regular TLOU bundle, Battlefront bundle, and the LE $449 Blops3 1Tb bundle which wasn't a big feature during BF.
The regular Blops 3 bundle came out mid December.

the $449 boIII bundle sold 250k units in november
the battlefront bundles sold over 330k in november

last year, the ps4 outsold xb1 by 16%
this year, the ps4 outsold xb1 by 10%

a smaller gap was expectetd and is reasonable. those numbers make sense.

MacTag

Banned
PS2 wasn't a worldwide launch though. If you launch align by region PS4 should be behind by a significant margin.

Launch aligned in the US for example PS2 was already past 20 million by this point.

Unknown?

PS2 wasn't a worldwide launch though. If you launch align by region PS4 should be behind by a significant margin.

Launch aligned in the US for example PS2 was already past 20 million by this point.

You also have to take into account PS2 numbers back then were shipped and not even shipped to retailers like provided now. Also the fact that PS4 launched more expensive (although with inflation probably worth less).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You also have to take into account PS2 numbers back then were shipped and not even shipped to retailers like provided now. Also the fact that PS4 launched more expensive (although with inflation probably worth less).
The PS2 launched at $299 in 2000 which is $414 today. The PS4 launched at $399 in 2013, $408 today. So with inflation considered PS2 launch at a slightly higher price, but really about the same.

There are other factors to consider besides inflation but that's a discussion more suited for Off Topic than here (like stagnant wages, changes in living expenses, etc.)

DieH@rd

Banned
If those numbers are true, MS is in deep shit.

US is what? 55, 60% of their installed base?

They were in shit from the start of generation, and we have seen over the last 3 years that really excessive pricedrops will not help them. They are holding ground in US and somewhat in UK, but that's that.

Top Bottom