• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

Technically is the perfect word for that one. That's like the new Skip Bayless show being the fastest growing sports program. Technically when you go from 1 viewer to 2 you are growing faster than anyone else.

There is no "closing of the gap" in this gen. PS3 kept closing the gap every year during the last gen even though they got straight up murdered in the States. This time they are pretty much neck and neck and Europe and Japan don't care one bit about the One.

Xbox still has a chance with 1% of China plus New Zealand and all those cliffs.

Interesting.

So the US market accounts for only 31% of the PS4’s total global sales (15.93m/50m). Meaning that 69% of the PS4’s global sales are from outside the NPD market.

EDIT: And if we do the same comparison for XBO, putting an arbitrary number 24M XBO sold world wide to date, then the US market accounts for at least 60% of XBO global sales (14.34M/24M) vs. 31% for PS4.

Europe was pretty much always the bigger market than the USA for Sony.

For some reason is GAF just way too US centric in sales discussions - with that next gen prediction thread as infamous peak of that nonsense.

Norse

Sony's endgame for Gaikai/PSNow has never been backwards compatibility, because if it was was they overpaid for it by a lot. Their endgame is, and has always been, PSNow on TVs, cell phones, and PCs, getting people to pay to play Playstation games anywhere and everywhere.

And they charge 100$ per year and requires internet connection. Hardly qualifies as BC. It's a game streaming service, nothing more.

cakely

Congratulations, Sony.

Numbers are down all around (as predicted) but it's difficult to spin a November win as a bad thing.

I'm sure any disappointment that Sony has over reduced YoY sales is mitigated by the fact that a percentage of those Sony consoles were sold unbundled for $399.

And they charge 100$ per year and requires internet connection. Hardly qualifies as BC. It's a game streaming service, nothing more.
Microsoft's backwards compatibility also requires internet connection. For most games, you will actually download more data using Xbox One BC than PS Now (though over less time).

I agree that the services are pretty different, though. Microsoft's is (ultimately) local, and every game must be purchased individually. Sony's is server-based, and a flat fee gives you access to all games. If you only want to play a few games, Microsoft is cheaper. If you want to play a bunch, Sony is cheaper.

i already said "the change since release of the xbox one s"
that is what i'm talking about and where xbox made up some ground

H2CY2015 ps4 outsold xb1 by 630k units or 17,5%
H2CY2016 (so far without dec) xb1 outsold ps4 by 150k units or 7,5%
the delta changed 780k units in that period of time

"Guys ignore the final score, we outscored the Yankees in innings 5 through 7. That's what really counts in baseball."

Norse

"Guys ignore the final score, we outscored the Yankees in innings 5 through 7. That's what really counts in baseball."

They are still playing the game. The final score won't be known for a couple more yrs for NA market.

For those looking for numbers:

Xbone 1.0m
Ps4/pro 1.1m
Psvr 67k (not a typo)!!!

No official split numbers for ps4/pro yet.

Agreed, Jez seems like a good dude, but he would be smart to distance himself from those 2 morons if he wants to be taken seriously.

Looking at his comments on Reddit, he's seems like a chode tbh. He knew what those guys were like beforehand. Because of his behavior on there in general, I won't take his numbers seriously.

They are still playing the game. The final score won't be known for a couple more yrs for NA market.

yeah i don't get that sentiment at all. you present some numbers and mostly you got just those kind of comments. do people here want to talk about sales or just make unfunny comments?

i mean it's obvoius there was a (big) change in the performance for ps4 and xbox one in the us the last 5 months...
and now the ps4 pro is already released and xbox one is not only selling better because the majority of ps4 buyer waited for pro.

after the holiday is over and we're 2 or 3 months into the new year we'll have a much better overall picture ans how tides have turned, or not

Boke1879

yeah i don't get that sentiment at all. you present some numbers and mostly you got just those kind of comments. do people here want to talk about sales or just make unfunny comments?

i mean it's obvoius there was a (big) change in the performance for ps4 and xbox one in the us the last 5 months...
and now the ps4 pro is already released and xbox one is not only selling better because the majority of ps4 buyer waited for pro.

after the holiday is over and we're 2 or 3 months into the new year we'll have a much better overall picture ans how tides have turned, or not

It's like a 1.6 million gap between the two in NA. Barring the PS4 absolutely collapses in sales. I just don't see this happening especially going into the new year imo.

ethomaz

Banned
Every year PS4 increase the gap over XB1 in US.

It is true for 2016 yet.

Some months with XB1 selling more didn't changed the gap increasing.

c0de

Microsoft's backwards compatibility also requires internet connection. For most games, you will actually download more data using Xbox One BC than PS Now (though over less time).

But this is on a whole different level in terms of ownership and especially after the download, you can okay offline. And of course you don't have to pay twice for something you already bought.

ethomaz

Banned
2015 YTD (Up toNovember)

PS4 ~4.15m
XB1 ~3.55m

2016 YTD (using the rumored November numbers)

PS4 ~3.52m (-15%)
XB1 ~3.22m (-9%)

This holiday is being pretty bad for both consoles :( in PS4 case it terrible even so it will increase the overall gap.

Looking at the early 2017 lineup for both consoles will answer that question for you.

But this is on a whole different level in terms of ownership and especially after the download, you can okay offline. And of course you don't have to pay twice for something you already bought.
Yes, it's a different model (ownership versus subscription), with different pros and cons. The cost equation isn't balanced entirely in one direction as you imply, though. If you already own PS3 games, you can resell them to defray the cost of playing them on Now. And compared to Xbox BC, with Now it's likely you'll gain immediate access to many more games you don't own. Whether that's ultimately cheaper depends on your individual play patterns.

I'm sure both companies are aghast their consoles each sold a million in a holiday where sales are traditionally down YoY. I'm sure they're devastated.
There's a difference between being realistic and being a pollyanna, and you're definitely edging toward the latter. Being down YOY in year 4 isn't unusual, you're right. But I posted the NPD figures for the last two gens earlier in the thread, and the amount each platform is down this year compares poorly.

• Xbox One just had the worst drop Microsoft has ever seen, by a large amount (their previous machines were both up in year 4).
  • PS4 just had the second-worst drop Sony has ever had. Only the PS2 was worse, and it had sold 4m more consoles by this point of its life, so had more room to fall.

c0de

Yes, it's a different model (ownership versus subscription), with different pros and cons. The cost equation isn't balanced entirely in one direction as you imply, though. If you already own PS3 games, you can resell them to defray the cost of playing them on Now. And compared to Xbox BC, with Now it's likely you'll gain immediate access to many more games you don't own. Whether that's ultimately cheaper depends on your individual play patterns.
[/LIST]

Both are different in many ways. For once, they are technically completely different. For one, you need bandwidth once, for the other one constantly and especially a good latency which is not important when you download something.
Then you get worse image quality, compression artifacts and additional input delay.
How the games catalog will be in the end, we don't know yet but I guess both are adding games constantly.
Why one would sell a disc to rent a worse version of the game is not clear to me.

Xbone 1.0m
Ps4/pro 1.1m
Psvr 67k (not a typo)!!!

Looking at his comments on Reddit, he's seems like a chode tbh. He knew what those guys were like beforehand. Because of his behavior on there in general, I won't take his numbers seriously.

Fair enough, but according to Norse, Jez's numbers are correct.

ianpm31

2015 YTD

PS4 ~4.15m
XB1 ~3.55m

2016 YTD (using the rumored numbers yet)

PS4 ~3.52m (-15%)
XB1 ~3.22m (-9%)

This holiday is being pretty bad for both consoles :( in PS4 case it terrible even so it will increase the overall gap.

It's not THAT bad when we haven't even factored in December...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
People need to understand that the PS4 pro is just a PS4. Nothing more, nothing less. The Scorpio is not XBO. It's a new gen for Microsoft and they will ditch the XBO once the Scorpio drops. It's Microsoft we are talking about here. People who are stating or believing otherwise don't seem to understand what they have been doing all the years they have been in the console business

People need to understand to stop declaring things that aren't set until MS is more clear on positioning. Scorpio is literally just another MS box a year later than pro. Scorpio and pro have more similarities than differences, and all the messaging from MS so far has been about having a common library with XB1.

So where people get this narrative that 'ps pro is just a slightly faster ps4, but scorpio is a whole new generation' is honestly baffling to me.

People need to understand to stop declaring things that aren't set until MS is more clear on positioning. Scorpio is literally just another MS box a year later than pro. Scorpio and pro have more similarities than differences, and all the messaging from MS so far has been about having a common library with XB1.

So where people get this narrative that 'ps pro is just a slightly faster ps4, but scorpio is a whole new generation' is honestly baffling to me.

I think it comes from the gap between Xbone and Scorpio being substantially larger than the gap between PS4 and Pro

MacTag

Banned
You can't be serious.

I'm sure both companies are aghast their consoles each sold a million in a holiday where sales are traditionally down YoY. I'm sure they're devastated.
4th year being down YOY isn't entirely unusual for consoles no. YOY being down for new model introductions (2 new models in PS4's case) is unusual though.

Generally new models reinvogorate stagnating or declining sales. n3DS XL and now ($99) n3DS for example did that recently and kept a steadily declining (some even claimed dead) system up YOY. That things are down this holiday with Xbox One S, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro most certainly isn't business as usual and I'd argue wasn't expected by most.

4th year being down YOY isn't entirely unusual for consoles no. YOY being down for new model introductions (2 new models in PS4's case) is unusual though.

Generally new models reinvogorate stagnating or declining sales. n3DS XL and now ($99) n3DS for example did that recently and kept a steadily declining (some even claimed dead) system up YOY. That things are down this holiday with Xbox One S, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro most certainly isn't business as usual and I'd argue wasn't expected by most.

I can tell you without hesitation that analysts who follow this stuff for a living and know what they're talking about are neither surprised or concerned. At all.

I just hope we get separate Pro numbers. I'm quite curious to see what the consumers think of iterative consoles.

If the numbers we have are real it did 300k

I can tell you without hesitation that analysts who follow this stuff for a living and know what they're talking about are neither surprised or concerned. At all.

Indeed many of us saw it coming. In fact I think I had the first post in the NPD prediction thread and I said I fully expected both down YoY

kyser73

Mate you'll be saying that until you're blue in the face, consoles are DOOOOMED! DOOOOMED! I tells ye! One month in one market is enough to know that.

Ushay

Xbone 1.0m
Ps4/pro 1.1m
Psvr 67k (not a typo)!!!

I'm surprised it's so close. Also isn't this lower than last year overall?

Obviously taking this with a grain of salt.

MacTag

Banned
Mate you'll be saying that until you're blue in the face, consoles are DOOOOMED! DOOOOMED! I tells ye! One month in one market is enough to know that.
There's a pretty big margin between "DOOOOMED! DOOOOMED!" and "Neither surprised or concerned. At all."

This isn't the end of the world and both systems are still selling very well given the current market climate. PS4 and Xbox One aren't going anywhere. At the same time it is a little worrying that mid-cycle remodels are doing so little to actually drive adoption up again, which is usual behavior and any analyst with no concern at all must have shockingly little grasp over the historical precents here (care to name names btw?). I'm really eager to see how MS positions Scorpio now.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I just hope we get separate Pro numbers. I'm quite curious to see what the consumers think of iterative consoles.

Well, the numbers we do potentially have show the answer might be...not much?

If the PS4/Slim/Pro outsold the Xbox One/S by 100k, I'd assume that's a bad sign for iterative consoles in the US?

This is assuming the accuracy of the 1 and 1.1 million numbers.

spwolf

It's been pretty limited in every market we've gotten numbers for. Seems to be doing ok for what it is but not a major momentum shifter at all

Seems like it is going out of stock quite often on Amazon world wide so it is selling well. Probably shifted both USA and UK towards PS4 in past month.

As to silly doom and gloom, it seems both consoles will outsell their 2015 totals. Good for them.

There's a pretty big margin between "DOOOOMED! DOOOOMED!" and "Neither surprised or concerned. At all."

This isn't the end of the world and both systems are still selling very well given the current market climate. PS4 and Xbox One aren't going anywhere. At the same time it is a little worrying that mid-cycle remodels are doing so little to actually drive adoption up again, which is usual behavior and any analyst with no concern at all must have shockingly little grasp over the historical precents here (care to name names btw?). I'm really eager to see how MS positions Scorpio now.

I spent a decent portion of my adult life making my living specifically off of the sales side of this industry. Needless to say, nothing about both consoles being down YoY is surprising and I assure you I have a firm grasp on the historical trajectory of this industry.

The thing that is worrying about this holiday season is software not hardware

MacTag

Banned
Seems like it is going out of stock quite often on Amazon world wide so it is selling well. Probably shifted both USA and UK towards PS4 in past month.

As to silly doom and gloom, it seems both consoles will outsell their 2015 totals. Good for them.
Both are almost guaranteed to be down in the US. PS4 will be up in Japan though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I spent a decent portion of my adult life making my living specifically off of the sales side of this industry. Needless to say, nothing about both consoles being down YoY is surprising and I assure you I have a firm grasp on the historical trajectory of this industry.

Been saying for some time that I actually think there's more quality software out there than the market can handle. There's literally too many good games being made and there just aren't enough people with the time and money to play them all.

MacTag

Banned

Your last point is somewhat salient but I'd argue the two aren't actually that unrelated. Both are worrying albeit to different degrees. The software drops are impacting and leading hardware pretty directly I think. Maybe next year will be better with stronger lineups, steeper hardware pricedrops and a more impressive midcycle upgrade?

Never has one quote so perfectly encapsulated the overall "we know better than the pros" attitude that pervades GAF.
Which pros? That's all I'm asking?

Another fun gaf-ism is the "Trust me I'm an pro/insider" line you keep pushing. Let's see how long you can manage that tightrope.

Boke1879

People continuously make the mistake and assume the Pro was going to light the world on fire and sell a million in a month on it's own. It's not like this thing is sitting over stocked in stores. Hell on amazon it just got back in stock a couple of days ago.

Price is King and while I think $400 is a reasonable price. It was still up against a cheaper model. No one should be saying if it's a failure or success after one month when Sony was clearly pushing the slim bundle. We'll see what next year holds but I can see Sony starting to push the Pro more with games like Horizon, ME, RDR2, Battlefront and Destiny with bundles.

Your last point is somewhat salient but I'd argue the two aren't actually that unrelated. Both are worrying albeit to different degrees. The software drops are impacting and leading hardware pretty directly I think. Maybe next year will be better with stronger lineups, steeper hardware pricedrops and a more impressive midcycle upgrade?

Which pros? That's all I'm asking?

You'll see statements next week. Literally no one but non-analysts on GAF are remotely concerned.

may you give us the source for that? i know the article from windowscentral, but didn't read anything about ps4 pro / regular ps4 split.

thanks in advance!

To be honest I'm not sure, I could be mistaken on that. I just thought I recalled seeing it in one of these threads over the past day or two.

It'll be interesting to see what Publishers take away from this and how they react to it. If it's less games that are service based how does that impact console HW? Do consumers want less games or do they want more? I've lurked in the npd threads and remember a discussion about there exists demand for games and the pubs aren't making enough games. Would pubs investing in more mid tier 40 dollar games with more experimental ideas help the market in any way and appeal to unsatisfied gamer tastes? I'm hoping positive changes happen but I'm leaning towards full on games as a service push which would really suck in terms of sw variety

MacTag

Banned
You'll see statements next week. Literally no one but non-analysts on GAF are remotely concerned.
So that's a no then, you can't cite one analyst. But they all universally agree, they all have zero concern, anyone who might voice any degree of concern is totally invalid due to it and you know all this directly as fact. But you can't name one name.

Next week should be fun. I hope you'll still be here for it.

anothertech

Xbone 1.0m
Ps4/pro 1.1m
Psvr 67k (not a typo)!!!

Crapgamer numbers? Or is this an actual source?

ethomaz

Banned
Not only analysts have concern about these bad sales that both Sony and MS cut off $50... possible MS will confirm it as definitive price drop in January.

Yeap this year was bad.

Hope December can have better numbers.

Anybody trying to say theses numbers are good or expected are just spinning the wheel.

Top Bottom