• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Panda Rin

So what is 140K considered for the Wii U? Bad? Mediocre? Decent?

It's great considering it only had MK8 to boost its sales. Nothing else noteworthy came out in June.

PS4 probably won't be dethroned at this point. MK8 and price drop from Microsoft couldn't bring it down.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ian Sherr
@iansherr
More confusing, the data released yesterday by Xbox isn't #NPD, it was internal sales surveys. So we can't even compare "more than doubled"

^ what does this mean?

Data they collected themselves. It was most likely slightly higher than NPD's data. Easier to spin.

SnIv0PQ.png

.....lol

So does that mean MS was creatively bending the truth?

Phades

My god and PS4 still hasn't got 1st party heavy-hitters, when they'll come it will be blood for everyone else.

"If you could make God bleed, people would cease to believe in Him. There will be blood in the water, the sharks will come. All I have to do is sit back and watch as the world consumes you. "

ivan vanko.gif

Could replace sharks with gaf probably and not change much in this context.

So what is 140K considered for the Wii U? Bad? Mediocre? Decent?

It's the residual effect from the MK8 launch.

Really, it all depends on how well Nintendo can sustain that number.

If it dips right back into the Wii U's usual territory in the coming months...

ascii42

Because that mattered so much for the NES, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and practically every handheld to date?

PS1 and PS2 enjoyed SEGA flubbing up as well as launching over a year in advance of the more powerful systems. Nintendo handhelds have generally been a lot cheaper than rivals. Xbox One was unfortunate to have to launch alongside its more powerful and cheaper rival.

GhaleonEB

It's not when the hardware has been proved inferior since launch.

Right, that's certainly part of it. The Kinect unbundling is something that was pretty far down the list of things to try, and they hit it pretty early on. A real price cut is not really much further down the list of options, which I can't imagine is appealing this early in the cycle.

Skilletor

Surprised that people are surprised the price cut didn't matter. During Titanfall's launch, there were tons of deals online and in stores that are better than the standard price now.

balohna

I guess it's possible but I think Nintendo would have mentioned it I their press release.

How could they phrase it? Like "Wii U was the second best selling console"? Doesn't sound too hot, and seems kind of beta to be bragging about not being last.

TTOOLL

Because that mattered so much for the NES, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and practically every handheld to date?

times have changed my friend...a lot. All this resolution, frame rate and textures talk is much stronger now. I'm talking about his generation, not those you mentioned. Why do you think multiplats sell better on PS4?

PS1 and PS2 enjoyed SEGA flubbing up as well as launching over a year in advance of the more powerful systems. Nintendo handhelds have generally been a lot cheaper than rivals.

I wasn't even considering Sega for those comparisons. My point was that hardware prowess has rarely been anything close to a key factor.

The gap cant be reduced if the PS4 sold more in June... unless you mean the gap in May compared to the gap in June?
the may gap between PS4 and X1 wouldn't be a good reference since may was particulary terrible for MS. Maybe how much the gap has changed since april or other month were there was similar condition at $400 vs $500.

I'm confused how could a company that sales a product need internal surveys to see how many they sold?

They don't have receipts? Retailer restock reports? Sales data? Receipts?

Pennywise

So does that mean MS was creatively bending the truth?

Over the past month, we’ve seen a strong spike in interest in our Xbox One console options, including the new $399 offering, and the amazing lineup of games announced during E3. Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales.

*- Internal data based on retail calendar and sold through numbers

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-one-xbox-one-sales-more-than-double-in-june?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Now I'm really curious about the real numbers.

Wii U at ~140k this month is the highest monthly number ever recorded for the console since December 2013 (which was ~480k) lol.

The console has never recorded triple digits since, until this month.

So this is most definitely a recovery of sorts.

joecanada

Get more exclusives out that helps segregate the console from the PS4, which I imagine people see as the better console to play multiplatform games on due to resolutionFPS-gate.

Once the exclusives start coming it will start doing better. Look at Mario Kart.

this is true , but I still think xbox is going to need to be somewhat cheaper than ps4 in order to compete strongly...
Also yes, look at mariokart, but don't look at WiiU.... however either or both could still pick up momentum and end up okay.
I wouldn't cross "price drop" off the chalkboard for xbox yet, as they could sell more consoles for a while, but if PS4 kills them all summer with destiny, then yes price drop should be erased.

They'll probably wait to see if the Master Chief Collection will do anything.

I feel like MCC will sell very well, but it's going to be to existing customers and not move that many consoles.

Maybe if there's a MCC pack-in SKU for the holidays (which wouldn't surprise me).

Surprised that people are surprised the price cut didn't matter. During Titanfall's launch, there were tons of deals online and in stores that are better than the standard price now.

Actually a pretty good point. Average price doesn't suggest that a vast majority of Xbox One units were the new, cheaper version.

Elija2

Nintendo said:
Likewise, three of the most anticipated games of the year are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS in 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Oct. 3) and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (Nov. 21).

Oh come on, the Pokemon titles don't count as separate games.

Top Bottom