• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Eolz

More interesting top than usual.

Nice bit from gamesindustry.biz:

Watch Dogs - which has shipped over 8 million units worldwide - was the clear winner on the software side, once again topping the charts. But considering that Mario Kart 8 is only available for one platform, it's notable that Nintendo's racer managed second place for the second consecutive month.

Percy

Banned
Jesus, Xbox One really can't catch a break. Price cuts didn't help it looks like, and software wise it's behind not only PS4, but 360 for most multiplats? Yeesh... guess it's up to the Halo ports now to save it for the year.

tfur

Welp

14486698537_9f52c443f9_o.png

Yes.

Gonna need some updated rainy window pics as well.

ekgrey

really glad to see Wolf doing well. Machine Games deserve mucho success. also happy MK8 is so high.

are we gonna get any actual hardware numbers? curious to see X1 vs. Wii U in particular.

(sorry for noob question, I'm new to NPD threads. April MS announced actual units sold but then didn't in May so not sure what to expect.)

Seda

Mario Kart 8 is Top-Selling Game in June, Has Sold More than 885,000 Units in the U.S. in First Five Weeks

After firing out of the gate at the end of May, Mario Kart 8 had an even stronger second lap. The game was the top-selling physical software SKU in the U.S. in June, and sold more than 470,000 physical and digital units.This brings its lifetime total to more than 885,000 units in the U.S. alone. Mario Kart 8 is also driving new momentum for the Wii U platform and its library of great titles, which includes an industry-best 15 games with a Metacritic score of 85 or higher. Sales of hardware and software in June 2014 were up 233 percent and 373 percent, respectively, over June 2013. For the first half of the year, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by 48 percent and 129 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013.

“These results reinforce the power of the Mario Kart franchise and speak to a bright future for the Wii U platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “History has shown that Mario Kart games tend to have an extremely long tail. We fully expect Mario Kart 8 to continue to drive momentum for our hardware and software business through the holidays and into the foreseeable future.”

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong month: Hardware sales in June increased by more than 55 percent over sales in May, and Tomodachi Life sold more than 175,000 combined physical and digital units after launching on June 6.

Looking ahead to the rest of 2014, Wii U has a great lineup of upcoming games and amiibo, Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category, that will help Nintendo build on its Mario Kart 8 momentum. Notable titles on the way include: Hyrule Warriors (Sept. 26), Bayonetta 2 (October), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Holiday) and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Holiday). Likewise, three of the most anticipated games of the year are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS in 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Oct. 3) and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (Nov. 21).

BlackJace

Wii U 140k would be pretty crazy. Still low in the grand scheme of things, but hey, they'll take any victory at this point.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, yeah

HOLY SHIT @ TOMODACHI

The fact it's 9th probably indicates relatively high digital sales as well.

PS4 at #1 again, despite the X1 price drop? Impressive.

Straight from Sony PR:

• PlayStation 4 was #1 in sales for the sixth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.
  • PlayStation 4 was #1 for next generation software sales, with PS4 leading two of the top three titles.
  • PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3) for the month.
  • The biggest next generation software titles, including Watch_Dogs, UFC and FIFA 14, were #1 on PlayStation 4, further demonstrating that PS4 is the platform of choice for blockbuster games.
The Xbox One is getting annihilated, there's no way around it.

very impressive.

Ian Sherr
@iansherr
More confusing, the data released yesterday by Xbox isn't #NPD, it was internal sales surveys. So we can't even compare "more than doubled"

Does this mean the MS spin was even more spun that previously thought?

Lmao, alright man I'm done.
Ps4 @ #1 again. What does MS have to do? I'm starting to feel sad.

Get more exclusives out that helps segregate the console from the PS4, which I imagine people see as the better console to play multiplatform games on due to resolutionFPS-gate.

Once the exclusives start coming it will start doing better. Look at Mario Kart.

BokehKing

Banned
People just love their 360 so much, they haven't felt the need to upgrade to the Xbox One. I forget who said that..........
But it's true though
The big selling games that Xbox players like (call of duty and Titanfall) look more than good enough on 360
It doesn't warrant a $500 purchase. . destiny is not ground breaking graphics, good chance 360 is the sales leader, huge install base

mo60

The WiiU may have barely sold over 100K this month if we take the 233% increase into account.When I took the 233% increase into account I got 97.86K.Nevermind Aquamarine is right.

antonz

139.8K Wii U seems a lock then. That's an impressive boost. Not earth shaking but better than the 40k months it was pulling

Interesting that Ghosts has had better legs than Battlefield, I thought the opposite would be the case given word of mouth.

Kind of surprises Watch Dogs held on that strongly, I thought it would be more front loaded.

Be curious to see how long Mario Kart hangs in the top 10 for.

Top Bottom