• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Abdiel

This thread started out kinda mellow, and then tapered off after a surge with the exact numbers being posted, because there was no delay, or speculation. Just everything all at once kinda stole the energy, comparatively... and then the inevitable analysis and discussion of what became... gaming philosophy?

Very odd, but interesting reads.

Props to Benny, Swift, and Ami for their various moments of Logic-smackdown, with accuracy and intricate breakdowns of existing data. Sometimes I'm glad I participate in these threads purely as an observer, hahah. I never have to be put on the spot, so to speak (except when you guys pry for data I forgot to check, like in the prediction thread).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All one has to show to prove Isle's statement I highlighted incorrect is some reasonable evidence that PS3 passed 360 WW. Whether that was the case or not is hard to say but IDC's $4500 report is better evidence than Isle's gut I would imagine
360 passed $80 million in October 2013, PS3 on November 2nd. The assumption by me and Disaster Nebraska is that PS3 is probably ahead due to the trajectory. (PS3 launched later and to get this close it had to have outsold the 360 every month on average to get there.)

I genuinely just wanted to know if there is some new info or something but then it turned into this insane circus with him. If I was in that position after having made his claim I would have just said WW numbers are off-topic to get out of it. :p

I know PS2 had amazing legs well into 2009 in North America, but is the PS3 going to have the same?

Also, this may be anecdotal, but here in Canada, I know significantly more people with PS3 than X360. I recall N64 outselling PS here as well. Do we get NPD Canada numbers separately or are they incorporated into these numbers?
I don't think the PS3 will have those legs. IMO The PS3 architecture is too fucked to be price reduced to the levels where you penetrate another market segment, or we would have seen something by now.

And this is US only but one of the people with access have said Canada is basically 10% of US and the SKU stuff is mostly the same.

I know PS2 had amazing legs well into 2009 in North America, but is the PS3 going to have the same?

Also, this may be anecdotal, but here in Canada, I know significantly more people with PS3 than X360. I recall N64 outselling PS here as well. Do we get NPD Canada numbers separately or are they incorporated into these numbers?

Raist

Banned

Pretty sure the current NPD is US only.
We used to have separate figures for Canada, like 1 billion years ago.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In the US? No, the PS3 will not have PS2-like legs. The PS3 could have great legs in emerging markets, but I wonder if Sony would rather just optimize the cost of the PS4 and get that targeted towards those markets rather than wait on the PS3 and try and push that.

Pretty sure the current NPD is US only.
We used to have separate figures for Canada, like 1 billion years ago.

They still track them and manufacturers include Canada in their WW totals though, right?

Also, doesn't Nintendo own some sales tracking company? Do they ever release numbers?

Daemul

What the hell happened in this thread?

post-29155-Blink-182-WHAT-THE-FUCK-gif-Im-YEwO.gif

Raist

Banned
In the US? No, the PS3 will not have PS2-like legs. The PS3 could have great legs in emerging markets, but I wonder if Sony would rather just optimize the cost of the PS4 and get that targeted towards those markets rather than wait on the PS3 and try and push that.

I don't think they'll keep it around as much either. I expect they kill it early 2016 at the very latest.

Possum

I learned something today. Bishoptl never misses. That was a trick shot.
Lol. Actually looked like bish let him off with a warning, but Isleofsancroy would settle for no less than a ban. That was certainly something.

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but can we expect sell-through numbers from Sony next? Doesn't seem like they use shipment numbers like Microsoft.

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but can we expect sell-through numbers from Sony next? Doesn't seem like they use shipment numbers like Microsoft.

MS's quarterly is on Tuesday, July 22 while Sony's I believe is July 31st

And while Sony may give sell through numbers I think they may save that type of announcement until they hit 10M sold through which they won't have yet

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm pretty sure they will use combined stuff (PS2+PS3+PS4 / PSP+PSV) to continue to hide the handheld performance and appear consistent.

SCE separately might talk about sell-in when they reach another notable milestone such as 10 million, but don't expect it in the fiscal report for Sony.

What the hell happened in this thread?

post-29155-Blink-182-WHAT-THE-FUCK-gif-Im-YEwO.gif

There's a sort of fun timeline to it if you compare a given page of posts from older NPD threads to current ones. Each month, the same basic sorts of arguments happen, but they also become progressively more insane as the degree of suspension of disbelief necessary to keep earnestly presenting them becomes higher and higher.

I'm pretty sure by October Post #1097 in the NPD thread will just be someone arguing that the Wii-U and Vita will outsell the PS2 because Baphomet told them so in a fever-dream.

I expect Gamescom will be the right time for the 10 mio. announcement.

*Googles Gamescom's dates*

Public area: entertainment area (Halls 6-10)
Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Friday, August 15, 2014 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Saturday, 16, 2014 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

Personally with my super awesome guesstimates that are NEVER wrong I pegged the 10M mark sometime in September or early October depending upon Destiny's effect

Gamescom seems early to me

NPD has separate reports for USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand figures.

All figures mentioned here are from the USA report.

Do you have those NPD figures? ;)

also my internet is finally back up, no more relying on mobile posting!

edit: or not, it's pretty damn inconsistent

Bundy

Banned

Personally with my super awesome guesstimates that are NEVER wrong I pegged the 10M mark sometime in September or early October depending upon Destiny's effect

Less than 3 million PS4's in 4 1/2 months (worldwide)?
Hm, I think it's possible :)

Death2494

Wow, seems the thread went in a completely different direction since the last time I posted. Has this moved away from US (only) to WW? Well given what we know based off of the Xbox360 LTD and Xbox One LTD so far is that US makes us about 60% of their entire install base. All I remember was there being an article about Microsoft slowing production to allow retailers to move more their inventory.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Production-May-Stall-Sales-Slow-Down-63710.html

They only shipped 400k (1.2 million total) per month worldwide last quarter

Bookmarked for October. We'll see.

See, now someone's just going to try and do that to troll. (It's definitely worth checking in, though. Six months ago I would drop by these threads a week or so after they initially hit to see the impassioned, well-reasoned arguments from diehard supporters of each system clashing it out over a backdrop of Aquamarine's statistical analysis. Now, it feels more like I'm rubbernecking at a train wreck...)

Less than 3 million PS4's in 4 1/2 months (worldwide)?
Hm, I think it's possible :)

Anything is possible sure. I think current PS4 WW LTD is probably around 8.5M - 8.75M at the end of June

As such less than 2 months for maybe 1.25M seems a bit high for the height of the summer drought period

Raist

Banned

Well, let's see.
It was around 3M in the US when they announced 7M WW. Assuming the same ratio it's at 8.4 as of June included.
1.6M in a bit over a month seems a tad high :p

Bundy

Banned
Anything is possible sure. I think current PS4 WW LTD is probably around 8.5M - 8.75M at the end of June

As such less than 2 months for maybe 1.25M seems a bit high for the height of the summer drought period
Hm, yeah... the summer drought period will be hard :/
But maybe they're already over 9 million right now (what I have guessed).
Anyways: It's selling mighty fine ^^

Death2494

Some people are reporting that the Destiny PS4 is selling better than all bundles prior to it, combined. But this is a rumor as of right now. Destiny might definitely help put it over the 10 million mark.

http://ps4daily.com/2014/07/destiny-white-console-bundle/

Well, let's see.
It was around 3M in the US when they announced 7M WW. Assuming the same ratio it's at 8.4 as of June included.
1.6M in a bit over a month seems a tad high :p

Yeah I concur. I think my actual estimate was at around 8.4M but I conceded Europe sales might've picked up a bit relative to the US for PS4 considering things like the German charts. Conjecture of course

Hm, yeah... the summer drought period will be hard :/
But maybe they're already over 9 million right now (what I have guessed).
Anyways: It's selling mighty fine ^^

Could be I guess? I think they're below 9M right now though personally. It's selling fine for now. Holidays should be insightful and then Jan 2015 should be doubly so methinks

Some people are reporting that the Destiny PS4 is selling better than all bundles prior to it, combined. But this is a rumor as of right now. Destiny might definitely help put it over the 10 million mark.

Honestly I have no idea what to make of that statement. What bundles existed prior to that one that they would compare it with anyways? US hasn't had any official bundles I don't think.

Death2494

Just think about the NPD September sales thread here ^_^
It will be a bloodbath.

OMG yes it will. Well in this quarter based off of NPD retail (not the whole story) sales Sony has moved at least >625k (don't know numbers for April2014). It also remained top 10 for April/May/June.

There are a select number of game franchises that are able to singlehandedly move the needle in console sales, most recently with the Wii U launching Mario Kart 8 and Xbox One with Titanfall.

Mario Kart 8 clearly moved the needle for the Wii U (61k to 140k) but didn't sales in March actually drop for the XBone when Titanfall released?

Death2494

Honestly I have no idea what to make of that statement. What bundles existed prior to that one that they would compare it with anyways? US hasn't had any official bundles I don't think.

Infamous/ Killzone:SF/ AC Black Flag.....

I'm taking it as a grain of salt. But Destiny will definite take NPD come September.

Mario Kart 8 clearly moved the needle for the Wii U (61k to 140k) but didn't sales in March actually drop for the XBone when Titanfall released?

I don't have the figures, but X1 did have a good pop from Titanfall, the big news was that it still wasn't enough to outsell the PS4 that month. Hence, the bunker.

Death2494

I think it was a combination of Mario Kart 8 and that awesome E3 they had. If I'm not mistaken Titanfall sold around 925k it's opening NPD. I'm not certain how much of the was on the ONE but they also had Titanfall Bundles being sold too.

Infamous/ Killzone:SF/ AC Black Flag.....

I'm taking it as a grain of salt. But Destiny will definite take NPD come September.

I remember Amazon having bundles perse during launch for any number of launch games but they were not official bundles. I could perhaps see that site hearing from say an amazon rep that the destiny bundle was the best selling bundle and then that rep would include those unoffical bundles but to my knowledge SCEA has never made available any official bundle for PS4 yet

Game Guru

See, now someone's just going to try and do that to troll. (It's definitely worth checking in, though. Six months ago I would drop by these threads a week or so after they initially hit to see the impassioned, well-reasoned arguments from diehard supporters of each system clashing it out over a backdrop of Aquamarine's statistical analysis. Now, it feels more like I'm rubbernecking at a train wreck...)

I don't think there is much to discuss anymore... Barring a surprise hit exclusive to XB1 or Wii U, PS4 has won this generation, XB1 is doing okay for second place console, and Wii U is in a very poor third place. There is nothing else Microsoft or Nintendo can do to change that now that PS4 is increasing its lead on them.

258k in February (4 week period) to 311k in March (5 week period.)

While weekly sales did actually decrease for the XB1 from Feb to March

64.5k -> 62.2k

It's worth mentioning that Titanfall sold ~865k its first months retail standalone and approximately 218k in bundles

So of XB1 owners that owned an XB1 prior to March [most likely, see note] in the US, roughly 39% bought TF on its debut month

Of new buyers of the XB1 in March roughly 70% chose the TF bundle

I think its safe to say TF had a significant positive effect on XB1 sales, it just seems to be somewhat spread out throughout its life so far and not simply all in March

Note: I am discounting the possibility that someone bought an XB1 in March that was not the TF bundle and then went on to buy TF retail standalone. While I'm sure this actually happened it is hard to account for and likely statistically negligible

I don't have the figures, but X1 did have a good pop from Titanfall, the big news was that it still wasn't enough to outsell the PS4 that month. Hence, the bunker.
Sales were up because it was a 5 week month. When you looked a weekly figures, the XBox One was actually down the month Titanfall came out.

Someone can correct me, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

I don't think there is much to discuss anymore... Barring a surprise hit exclusive to XB1 or Wii U, PS4 has won this generation, XB1 is doing okay for second place console, and Wii U is in a very poor third place. There is nothing else Microsoft or Nintendo can do to change that now that PS4 is increasing its lead on them.

There's still some reasonably interesting discussion over things like the overall direction and health of the industry, expectations for end-of-generation results, etc.

But, yeah, even the craziest arguments in "favor" of (for example) the Wii-U are now at the point of, "Call me nuts, but I think the Wii-U could be this generation's Gamecube!" at which point it feels too sad to even bother arguing the point. The XB1 arguments have shifted from, "XB1 will make a full recovery and win the generation," to "XB1 isn't a complete failure!"

Like, it's not even a matter of people moving the goalposts; most of the people who set the old expectations for success or failure have wisely bowed out (or unwisely been bowed out by bish), and each time the torch gets passed it just seems to get a little dimmer, you know?

Top Bottom