• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Vita is above the Saturn in terms of US LTD, but I think it's pretty much impossible it hits anywhere near the DC LTD in the US. It seems like the demand might actually be a bit better than what we're seeing, but SCEA doesn't even care to restock the device....

Yup. Vita sold decently in its first year, but sales completely fell off a cliff in 2nd year.

Vita US sales:

2012: 1280K
2013: 450k
2014: ???

At the rate Vita is currently selling (400k/year) it would take it 7-8 years to bypass the Dreamcast US LTD (4m). I would say Minecraft is the last chance for SCEA to turn around the system sales in US. They should try to do a bundle + price cut this year if they are really serious about the system.

Bitanator

I would say Minecraft is the last chance for SCEA to turn around the system sales in US. They should try to do a bundle + price cut this year if they are really serious about the system.

I keep hearing that, what do you think is reasonable sales hardware wise for Minecraft bundle? How long will those sales last? It won't do anything major, and for a long sustained period of time.

Massa

Yup. Vita sold decently in its first year, but sales completely fell off a cliff in 2nd year.

Vita US sales:

2012: 1280K
2013: 450k
2014: ???

At the rate Vita is currently selling (400k/year) it would take it 7-8 years to bypass the Dreamcast US LTD (4m). I would say Minecraft is the last chance for SCEA to turn around the system sales in US. They should try to do a bundle + price cut this year if they are really serious about the system.

There's nothing to turn around. Sony will continue selling 400k/year at a small profit, and with small budget games to go with it. That's it.

I keep hearing that, what do you think is reasonable sales hardware wise for Minecraft bundle? How long will those sales last? It won't do anything major, and for a long sustained period of time.

Minecraft Vita is releasing on PSN in August but the retail version apparently doesn't have a release date yet. I'm not sure what can we expect from the PSN release tbh, hard to predict DD-only games effect on retail hardware sales.

Minecraft Vita is releasing on PSN in August but the retail version apparently doesn't have a release date yet. I'm not sure what can we expect from the PSN release tbh, hard to predict DD-only games effect on retail hardware sales.

Well people would actually have to be aware of said release which requires advertising so I expect to be severely disappointed

AniHawk

There's nothing to turn around. Sony will continue selling 400k/year at a small profit, and with small budget games to go with it. That's it.

the system's actually on track to sell than 400k this year. if they have the holiday they did in 2013, that's only 160k. add that to the 127k they accumulated over the half-year and they would need to sell 30k over the next four months each just to hit 400k. considering sales have been down all year, i just don't see it happening.

and with less support, and fewer games, the system will sell even worse next year. it'll be gone in 2016. at least it'll outsell the sega saturn.

Last month:
Mario Kart 8 - approx. 352K standalone + 25K bundle (Bundle = 6.6% of software)

This month:
Mario Kart 8 - approx. 401K standalone + 42K bundle (Bundle = 9.5% of software)

I wonder where Mario Kart 8 would be if Nintendo of America managed to ship more than 67K into the retail channel.

prag16

Banned
Last month:
Mario Kart 8 - approx. 352K standalone + 25K bundle (Bundle = 6.6%)

This month:
Mario Kart 8 - approx. 401K standalone + 42K bundle (Bundle = 30%)

I wonder where Mario Kart 8 would be if Nintendo of America managed to ship more than 67K into the retail channel.

Seeing the numbers presented this way... damn. How did they decide it was logical to ship apparently far less than 100k of these to retail in the first month or so?? If they shipped say twice that, worst case is that some of them sit in the store for a few extra weeks before selling, and best case they sell through the bulk of them. Odd.

Massa

the system's actually on track to sell than 400k this year. if they have the holiday they did in 2013, that's only 160k. add that to the 127k they accumulated over the half-year and they would need to sell 30k over the next four months each just to hit 400k. considering sales have been down all year, i just don't see it happening.

and with less support, and fewer games, the system will sell even worse next year. it'll be gone in 2016. at least it'll outsell the sega saturn.

Sales have been down because of supply issues. They sold 70k over the last two months and that was selling all their stock, and the system is still sold out.

mo60

Combined outside of the United States, doesn't it sell more? So if the PS4 is selling 250+ on the US, shouldn't it be more than 500-600 worldwide every month?

It has taken the ps4 at least two months to pass 8 million since March I think.In April and May the PS4 only sold slightly over or under 200K. If the US accounts for the same percent of PS4's sold(32.5%) in April and May you will end up with slightly over 600K.The amount it sold worldwide could have dropped to which will probably result in the ps4 selling 400K-500K per month,. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at least 600K i.I think it's closer to 8.5 million than 9 million right now anyway.

sörine

Banned
Sales have been down because of supply issues. They sold 70k over the last two months and that was selling all their stock, and the system is still sold out.
There's now a supply problem but that's probably due to the previous demand problem the system had. Neither SCEA or retailers seem too interested in changing that either.

ascii42

An important consideration regarding PS4 numbers is that it came out in Japan in February, but we know sales have tanked since then, which will skew US to worldwide percentage comparisons.

An important consideration regarding PS4 numbers is that it came out in Japan in February, but we know sales have tanked since then, which will skew US to worldwide percentage comparisons.

Well to be honest if one was so inclined I think the most rational approach to try and estimate PS4 WW numbers would be to use the last two announcements by Sony of WW numbers, 6M sold through March 2nd, and 7M sold through April 6th to develop your US to WW ratio baseline

Something like 1M sold WW in 35 days between March 2nd and April 6th. And
371k sold in the US between March 2nd and April 5th [March NPD's tracking period]

Thus US to WW ratio for PS4 sales would be something like 37.1% US to 62.9% WW

PS4 has sold roughly 665K in the US since March thus 665/.371 = ~1792k so WW PS4 LTD is estimated at ~8.792M units as of end of June

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Seeing the numbers presented this way... damn. How did they decide it was logical to ship apparently far less than 100k of these to retail in the first month or so?? If they shipped say twice that, worst case is that some of them sit in the store for a few extra weeks before selling, and best case they sell through the bulk of them. Odd.

I kind of wonder whether they were also trying to help clear old stock. If retailers were just stuck with lots of Skylander & M&L Wii U bundles left in stores, they'd probably not be too happy. I do hope they've increased MK8 bundle stock this month.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow this thread keeps going, we must be breaking records guys hah

Thank you so cream sugar...not meaning to be a pain but is the FFXIV LTD too hard to track down...?

There were some weird philosophical and other discussions in the middle that took a bunch of pages, but yeh this thread is long.

That mario kart promo in the UK and then this month in the USA on mc donalds happy meals

Perfect timing :)

Glad to see Wii U picking up steam!

The Wii U and 3DS is defo the most used in my house at the moment thanks to Mario Kart and tamodotchi life

There were some weird philosophical and other discussions in the middle that took a bunch of pages, but yeh this thread is long.

Top 10 NPD Threads:

1) NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 7,109 posts - 901,205 views
2) NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 5,349 posts - 608,577 views
3) NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 4,592 posts - 366,189 views
4) NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 4,531 posts - 539,611 views
5) NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 4,144 posts - 606,083 views
6) NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,896 posts - 501,850 views
7) NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,835 posts - 450,164 views
8) NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,563 posts - 231,858 views
9) Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,517 posts - 263,737 views
10) NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,450 posts - 327,447 views

Just a few more posts and we'll be in the #3 place. GAF has really been on fire with NPD popularity in the past year. 6 out of the 10 most popular NPD threads ever have occurred since the 8th gen consoles have been released.

BKK

NPD tracks retail with an incredible 90-95% accuracy.

Could you elaborate on that a bit please? As in what exactly do they claim to track to that degree of accuracy? Overall market, or individual SKUs? Also, do you know what % of the overall market they claim to cover now they have Walmart, and how much it was prior? Thanks.

Top 10 NPD Threads:

1) NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 7,109 posts - 901,205 views
2) NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 5,349 posts - 608,577 views
3) NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 4,592 posts - 366,189 views
4) NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs] - 4,531 posts - 539,611 views
5) NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 4,144 posts - 606,083 views
6) NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,896 posts - 501,850 views
7) NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,835 posts - 450,164 views
8) NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,563 posts - 231,858 views
9) Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,517 posts - 263,737 views
10) NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last ) - 3,450 posts - 327,447 views

Just a few more posts and we'll be in the #3 place. GAF has really been on fire with NPD popularity in the past year. 6 out of the 10 most popular NPD threads ever have occurred since the 8th gen consoles have been released.

You... do stat-tracking on the stat-tracking threads?

Top 10 NPD Threads:

4) NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs] - 4,531 posts - 539,611 views

Number 1 is GOAT

Massa

sörine;122029969 said:
There's now a supply problem but that's probably due to the previous demand problem the system had. Neither SCEA or retailers seem too interested in changing that either.

There's a supply problem now with the 2000 selling out and there was a supply problem before when Sony stopped shipping the 1000. It hasn't been a very well made transition.

sörine

Banned
There's a supply problem now with the 2000 selling out and there was a supply problem before when Sony stopped shipping the 1000. It hasn't been a very well made transition.
Sony can only ship what retailers want. I'm not so convinced the supply issue is entirely on SCEA and if retailers aren't interested in fully stocking the platform there's a likely reason for that too.

You... do stat-tracking on the stat-tracking threads?

I just have such a thirst for numbers...

Could you elaborate on that a bit please? As in what exactly do they claim to track to that degree of accuracy? Overall market, or individual SKUs? Also, do you know what % of the overall market they claim to cover now they have Walmart, and how much it was prior? Thanks.

The vast majority (around 90%) of the USA retail video game market is comprised of seven retailer networks:

1) GameStop + gamestop.com
2) Wal-Mart + walmart.com + Sam's Club + samsclub.com
3) Target + target.com
4) Best Buy + bestbuy.com
5) amazon.com
6) Toys R Us + toysrus.com
7) Kmart + kmart.com + Sears + sears.com

NPD receives direct POS information from all of those retailers. Ergo, NPD directly tracks at least 90% of the market.

Of course, NPD tracks a whole bunch of other retailers besides those 7.

So in total, NPD has somewhere between 90-95% of raw data. They then estimate the rest of the market using algorithms and retail indications.

A while ago, NPD didn't receive direct Wal-Mart data...they just estimated Wal-Mart data. Because Wal-Mart is extraordinarily significant in the retail world, the lack of direct Wal-Mart data hampered NPD's accurately significantly.

That actually created that misconception that NPD is "inaccurate." Yes, they WERE not nearly as accurate once upon a time. But now that they directly receive Wal-Mart data, they're quite definitive.

I just have such a thirst for numbers...

It's very impressive, I'm just worried that you're getting into Laplace's demon territory. I have suspicions that you might be a self-improving artificial intelligence that emerged from GAF's burning desire to track sales data.

All I ask is that when you're done killing John Connor you let the rest of us maintain your data centers with our feeble, fleshy manipulators.

BKK

The vast majority (around 90%) of the USA retail video game market is comprised of seven retailer networks:

1) GameStop + gamestop.com
2) Wal-Mart + walmart.com + Sam's Club + samsclub.com
3) Target + target.com
4) Best Buy + bestbuy.com
5) amazon.com
6) Toys R Us + toysrus.com
7) Kmart + kmart.com + Sears + sears.com

NPD receives direct POS information from all of those retailers. Ergo, NPD directly tracks at least 90% of the market.

Of course, NPD tracks a whole bunch of other retailers besides those 7.

So in total, NPD has somewhere between 90-95% of raw data. They then estimate the rest of the market using algorithms and retail indications.

A while ago, NPD didn't receive direct Wal-Mart data...they just estimated Wal-Mart data. Because Wal-Mart is extraordinarily significant in the retail world, the lack of direct Wal-Mart data hampered NPD's accurately significantly.

That actually created that misconception that NPD is "inaccurate." Yes, they WERE not nearly as accurate once upon a time. But now that they directly receive Wal-Mart data, they're quite definitive.

So a more accurate description would be 90-95% market coverage. For individual SKUs their accuracy will vary depending on how widely distributed any individual SKU is. For example a niche game with a Limited Edition exclusively available from a publisher's store would be far less accurately tracked than a major AAA title available everywhere.

I think I prefer Chart-Track's method, they extrapolate from 90% to 100% for overall market figures and hardware, whilst simply reporting actual tracked sales for individual SKU's with these caveats;

All sales figures represent our estimate of sales through the listed outlets.
Companies who are particularly strong in outlets not sampled are understated as a consequence of the panel structure.
As of January 2005 the Chart-Track panel is estimated to be around 90% of the UK retail market (85% July 2002 - December 2004 and 80% pre-July 2002).

Massa

sörine;122045899 said:
Sony can only ship what retailers want. I'm not so convinced the supply issue is entirely on SCEA and if retailers aren't interested in fully stocking the platform there's a likely reason for that too.

Precisely, but they still waited too long to release the 2000 and that's completely on them.

vaguba

Banned
Given the weakness of bone sales as well as the recent announcement of record layoffs at microsoft it's safe to say Microsoft might be out of the console hardware market as early as this year.

sörine;121989646 said:
One would assume so but sales of Vita memory cards above 4GB were significantly below a 1:1 installed base ratio last we saw. It'd be nice to get an update on that though.

What's the term called? Fridge space. Cleaning the fridge. It had something to do with fridges, nothing to do with Indiana Jones, and a something about rearranging and getting rid of stuff.

But yeah, I have a 16GB and I buy most of my Vita games digital. When I want to download a game, I'll upload game saves to the cloud and delete the games I'm not currently playing, then download whatever I'm planning on playing.

Joking right?

Post history suggests it's a troll account. Maybe.

Welfare

Given the weakness of bone sales as well as the recent announcement of record layoffs at microsoft it's safe to say Microsoft might be out of the console hardware market as early as this year.

Woah, slow down there. How are the Xbox Ones sales weak? Just because it's not higher than PS4? While the sales so far might have been disappointing, they are not weak.

Not even close to happening, unless Mr. Nadella goes absolutely bonkers. And in that case, the Board will just find someone more practical.

They're going to adapt Xbox in reaction to the market, but they're sticking with it for the short-term.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So June sales for a bunch of these titles (based on May/June #s...)

Yoshi's New Island - 31K
Bravely Default - 19K
Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 58K

DKC: Tropical Freeze - 27K

Infamous - 31K

FFXHD - PS3 - 17K, PSV - 7K
PvZ: Garden Warfare - XB1 28K, 360 13K
FF13 Lightning Returns - PS3 - 4K, 360 - 3K
Dark Souls 2 - 360 - 15K, PS3 - 9K
South Park SoT - 360 - 10K, PS3 - 8K
Titanfall - XB1 - 41K, 360 - 55K

So based on this... I'd suspect 3D World has broken 800K US retail LTD? I figure it outsold DKC:TF this month too, right?

So a more accurate description would be 90-95% market coverage. For individual SKUs their accuracy will vary depending on how widely distributed any individual SKU is. For example a niche game with a Limited Edition exclusively available from a publisher's store would be far less accurately tracked than a major AAA title available everywhere.

I think I prefer Chart-Track's method, they extrapolate from 90% to 100% for overall market figures and hardware, whilst simply reporting actual tracked sales for individual SKU's with these caveats;

Right. That is a better term for it.

But I do believe that NPD considers each new release carefully.

For example, if NPD is trying to track retail sales of Drakengard 3, they're going to proactively contact the Square Enix store and ask them for sales because they know that sales are going to be channeled through that small outlet.

I also believe NPD has built up a base of "niche" physical + online retailers for this very reason. They conduct a lot of research into gathering proper monthly estimates. NPD doesn't just compile the numbers from the Top 7 retailer networks and call it a day. They go the extra mile for accurate tracking.

That's part of the reason why they're so respected by companies like Nintendo, Microsoft, and EA.

sörine

Banned
Precisely, but they still waited too long to release the 2000 and that's completely on them.
Possibly but I don't know if it would have made too much difference in the end. Vita's just in a tough spot where basically no one has any confidence, and that's not a recent thing.

What's the term called? Fridge space. Cleaning the fridge. It had something to do with fridges, nothing to do with Indiana Jones, and a something about rearranging and getting rid of stuff.

But yeah, I have a 16GB and I buy most of my Vita games digital. When I want to download a game, I'll upload game saves to the cloud and delete the games I'm not currently playing, then download whatever I'm planning on playing.
Sure maybe the majority of Vita owners are fine with constant fridge management. I think it's more logical though that if Vita owners were really the voracious digital consumers some assume that more than quarter of the installed base would've bought a 16 or 32 GB card. Either way it'd be nice to get some solid insight rather than be forced to make these assumptions.

sörine;122058679 said:
Possibly but I don't know if it would have made too much difference in the end. Vita's just in a tough spot where basically no one has any confidence, and that's not a recent thing.

Sure maybe the majority of Vita owners are fine with constant fridge management. I think it's more logical though that if Vita owners were really the voracious digital consumers some assume that more than quarter of the installed base would've bought a 16 or 32 GB card. Either way it'd be nice to get some solid insight rather than be forced to make these assumptions.

I'm not saying all Vita owners do this, but memory card sales aren't fully indicative of software sales. Doesn't put the Vita in any better position though.

Woah, slow down there. How are the Xbox Ones sales weak? Just because it's not higher than PS4? While the sales so far might have been disappointing, they are not weak.

In North America they are middling. Outside North America they are all but nonexistent. I doubt MS has any interest in limping through the generation selling 2M a year in NA and less than half that everywhere else. They will see what happens through the holidays but if their fortunes don't change dramatically by then I expect an upheaval where they spinoff or sell the Xbox business.

Tommy DJ

Sales are only decent in the United States. In the UK, sales are very uncertain and outside these two countries, its got absolutely zero presence. If you take a minute to look at Germany's software sales, you get the impression that the 3DS and Wii U are more popular than the Xbox One.

So its doing decent, at best, in the United States since there isn't really any way you can say that the hardware is selling particularly well. If we take into account sales worldwide, its doing extremely poor because the Xbox One is a product that is basically limited to two markets that are unanimously more receptive to its competitor's product. The Xbox One isn't high profit margin hardware, it needs lots of adopters that take advantage of software sales, paid services, and ads. Clearly that isn't happening even in their key markets.

Dire

Sales are only decent in the United States. In the UK, sales are very uncertain and outside these two countries, its got absolutely zero presence. If you take a minute to look at Germany's software sales, you get the impression that the 3DS and Wii U are more popular than the Xbox One.

So its doing decent, at best, in the United States since there isn't really any way you can say that the hardware is selling particularly well. If we take into account sales worldwide, its doing extremely poor because the Xbox One is a product that is basically limited to two markets that are unanimously more receptive to its competitor's product. The Xbox One isn't high profit margin hardware, it needs lots of adopters that take advantage of software sales, paid services, and ads. Clearly that isn't happening even in their key markets.

Absolutely. People continue to extrapolate NPD numbers to the world, when that is completely unjustified. The US has been and remains absolutely critical for Microsoft. The XBox 1 saw about 66% of its sales in the US, the 360 saw about 60%. On the other hand it has been a minority market for Sony. The PS2 and PS3 both had about 33% of their sales come from the US.

The XBone, so far, seems to have even less worldwide (excluding UK) appeal than its predecessors and it's losing in the US by an increasingly wide margin as well. Think of it this way. Sony and Microsoft both order two pizzas - world and US. The world pizza is a bit bigger. Last gen Sony ate about 60% of the world pizza and 37% of the US pizza. This gen they're eating damn near all the world pizza and also eating the vast majority of the US pizza as well. They're not leaving much on the table.

And this gen seems to be pushing very heavy for the online-only type of game which means gamers are going to pick up the console their friends have, so success may become even more viral than in past gens. I would not be surprised if Spencer is operating under an implied, if not explicit, ultimatum.

orochi91

Sales are lackluster in MS's biggest market and abysmal in other territories. Sales
are very weak, especially relative to past generations. MS (and Sony) WW total
numbers are being buoyed by the massive launch sales, which has allowed them to
barely outpace past market leaders like the Wii and PS2. Well, at least the PS4.

In short, sales are weak, especially for XB1 :D

Top Bottom