• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Sandfox

Wow at vita

I guess people heard about the new model. It'll probably pick up again. I think the oled "problems" might be scaring people off into waiting for a LCD.

It'll sell way more when it hits a redesign and a price drop, psp was bad too until that happened.
I don't really see OLED as a turnoff.

catmincer

It's the same here in Austria, a coworker received the PS4 he ordered in October just 3 weeks ago. UK seems to be the only European country where you can actually find a PS4 easily.

However, there are huge stacks of Xbones collecting dust at every major retailer.

PS4 are ridiculously easy to find in New Zealand. In fact shops have started discounting them. So if you want one, buy one from here.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why is Sony not releasing numbers for the PS4? I know why they used to not do that sometimes for the PS3, but there should be no reason for them to be hiding.

Seems like hopes of most people were too high.
Titanfall sales are impressive but most of the people who bought a copy, have apparently already bought an Xbone.

I'd say the high price of the XBone handicapped TitanFall's sales potential. I remember MGS4 boosting PS3 sales from 200k to 400k at 399€ (same price als X360?) back in 2008.
But Titanfall's weight was simply too light to leverage that price difference. MS should drop to 399€ as soon as they can.

TheCloser

Banned
any of these peeps 'shocked' PS4 won?, just wondering.
Nope, as one of the few who predicted it, I was not shocked. I knew that the ps4 would sell more and i couldn't shake the feeling that titanfall's hype was manufactured. Did you read IGNs preview? God, it was embarrassing. The reason Titanfall didn't do gangbusters is because of its poor value proposition and poor marketing. No single player campaign and $60? That's not going to fly anywhere and the lack of a single player campaign makes it hard to market the game. Cod also dropped it's price to $20 during the month and as a consumer, it's a lot easier to justify a $20 expenditure for a known entity than $60 for an unknown entity.

Shocked? Nope, I saw it coming from a mile away. Price is not the issue with the xb1 and Kinect is not the issue either. The issue with the xb1 is their screw up in may, poor messaging, nodrm campaign, and horrible word of mouth.
Their screw up in may was an epic failure; they were basically setting up Sony a pr win at every step. This led to the nodrm campaign which led to horrible word of mouth on the xb1. The playroom demo on Jimmy Fallon essentially solidified Playstation as the number one console to get in the USA.

Really, at this point, even casuals know that the xb1 is weaker and its value proposition is so poor. Dropping the price won't do shit. It's like the iPhone 5 vs iPhone 5c. Why would you buy a 5c when you can buy the iPhone 5? It's just pointless and these weekly resolution articles aren't helping. All you need to do is go to N4g or youtube and you'll see comments like "xbox 1.5" or "xbox off". You really can't fight that kind of pr. It's like guerilla warfare. It's just too spread out and there is no blanket solution for it.

Riky

$MSFT
Thanks.

Well Xbox One had a really great launch with Nov + Dec but after that the sales are really low and bad for the MS side.

2013 was the year that 360 dropped close to 40% in shipment and sales overall... and Xbone is doing worst that a near dead console and the situation on the "tiers countries" didn't help too.

I think we will see terrible sales (Wii U level) to Xbone this year.

The real battle will be Xbox zone vs Wii U.

Wii U level? Please tell me you are not being serious.

Noshino

Challange all assumptions my friend.
One man's failure is often another's success.

All I try and do is provide perspective and offer debate.
Take it as you will.

your perspective is wrong though, you claim that the underdog is the one to take the risks and innovate, but it was Sony who took all the risks with the PS3 after the very successful PS2.

You could claim that it 600 was a lot and hard to develop, sure, yet it offered:

- blu-ray player
- free online
- sharing content with 5 consoles
- use of non-proprietary HDD/accessories
- built in hdmi/wifi/bluetooth

It was by far the best bang for the buck, and while expensive, it was also heavily underpriced. Hardly a "safe" console

AniHawk

Wow at vita

I guess people heard about the new model. It'll probably pick up again. I think the oled "problems" might be scaring people off into waiting for a LCD.

It'll sell way more when it hits a redesign and a price drop, psp was bad too until that happened.

the vita had a price drop several months ago. i think sony's more willing to sell the device at a small profit. that means not being super aggressive with it and putting in cheaper parts (hence the redesign).

the psp saw an 50% increase in weekly sales from august 2007 to september 2007 (88% increase month over month in part thanks to september being 5 weeks long and august being 4 weeks long). i'm not sure how likely it is that sales would do more than triple for the month the revision comes out. even if it does, that would mean something like 24k-30k.

Riky

$MSFT
Nope, as one of the few who predicted it, I was not shocked. I knew that the ps4 would sell more and i couldn't shake the feeling that titanfall's hype was manufactured. Did you read IGNs preview? God, it was embarrassing. The reason Titanfall didn't do gangbusters is because of its poor value proposition and poor marketing. No single player campaign and $60? That's not going to fly anywhere and the lack of a single player campaign makes it hard to market.

Yet it was the biggest selling game of the month.

IN&OUT

Banned
Why is Sony not releasing numbers for the PS4? I know why they used to not do that sometimes for the PS3, but there should be no reason for them to be hiding.

It seems like they release a small statement every time PS4 ads a MILLION users. something would take MS/Ninty forever to do.

MncQtKX.png

[grabs mic] You know what you need to do? Do you? Are you on the marketing team?

Okay, so I think that’s a little bold of you to say it's a marathon not a sprint and you know what to do to turn it around.

It's not like you can just flip a switch and start outselling the PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
Well they are releasing every month before NPD the sold to consumers numbers.

Ohhhhhhh where is the guys saying Sony released the sales a day before NPD due damage control over the Xobe winning NPD.

AniHawk

while this use to be true. all the major studios push for heavy AAA for march. end strong for the portfolio and start good with investor relations.

major studios push for a big march all the time. it's not a recent thing. sales have been lower than february regardless.

IN&OUT

Banned
Vita deserves a better father than Sony.

Good thing they spent a bunch of cash getting a 2 years late port of Borderlands 2 though!

Well Sony did their part to be honest. Vita is a brilliant device, you cannot fault Sony in that, It just the most of smartphone craze hit the handheld market.

TheCloser

Banned
Yet it was the biggest selling game of the month.
That's not really hard to accomplish, it was also the most marketed game this month. I'm willing to bet that they haven't even broken even on the project. I read the final hours of titanfall and that was really eye opening. I mean, killzone is the best selling next gen exclusive and its online community is practically dead. What does that tell you?

quetz67

Banned
Vita deserves so much better.

Tell that to Sony. Doing these numbers can't be anything but sony not wanting to sell it.

Once I get a PS4 I can't think of a single excuse not to get one. It should be a no-brainer for everone owning a PS4 especially if they had Plus on PS3 already.

MncQtKX.png

[grabs mic] You know what you need to do? Do you? Are you on the marketing team?

Okay, so I think that’s a little bold of you to say it's a marathon not a sprint and you know what to do to turn it around.

Getting rid of Kinect and cutting the price would be a good start though.

ethomaz

Banned
Wii U level? Please tell me you are not being serious.
Serious.

Not US of course but the US sales of Xbone will be balanced by the WW sales of Wii U in it first year.

The Sales will drop to Xbone now without more releases and you will see it doing like Wii U last year WW.

Dire

Last gens first next big thing was oblivion. The worst TES game + horse armour etc

It wasn't till gears, modern warfare and ass creed triple header in late 2007 that shit took off

Incidentally Oblivion is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Do you remember how Oblivion was marketed last gen?

They focused on the "Radiant AI" with each character having their own motivation, schedule, etc and how it was going to be the first console anything like this was possible on. They also showed off far improved graphics and unscripted sequences that could occur purely as a consequence of the new AI systems. Even if you weren't a fan of the genre it was some pretty exciting stuff.

This gen has been really strange. For the past couple of years building/exploration games like Minecraft and PvP RPG style games like DotA have been completely reshaping the games industry. There was a ton of room for excitement and large, even if incremental, innovation there. Large scale RPG style PvP game with 100 playable heroes where players can join clans or go it alone with the goal of eventually taking over the world at which point the cycle begins anew. AAA builder with the ability to instantly import real world terrains to play with and share not only from earth but even the moon using satellite imagery with worlds that keep on living and evolving even while you sleep through "the power of the cloud." That sort of stuff is thinking big and what helps get people excited. Yet all of this seems to have neglected in lieu of more generic shooters and action+RPG element games.

liger05

MncQtKX.png

Why do people catch feelings on what Major Nelson says. What do you want him to say

"congrats Sony, you have won and we give up"

Sandfox

Well Sony did their part to be honest. Vita is a brilliant device, you cannot fault Sony in that, It just the most of smartphone craze hit the handheld market.

You're ignoring all the things Sony did wrong and the rise of smartphones doesn't really excuse how bad the Vita is selling.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the vita had a price drop several months ago. i think sony's more willing to sell the device at a small profit. that means not being super aggressive with it and putting in cheaper parts (hence the redesign).

the psp saw an 50% increase in weekly sales from august 2007 to september 2007 (88% increase month over month in part thanks to september being 5 weeks long and august being 4 weeks long). i'm not sure how likely it is that sales would do more than triple for the month the revision comes out. even if it does, that would mean something like 24k-30k.

Sure, even if it doesn't reach psp levels it'll still get somewhere up there again. I guess that most people buying a vita are just buying digitally anyway, so retailers aren't going to be that enthralled with keeping a big display for it.

Makes me wonder if they'll bother selling a vita tv to diversify their offerings with the tech and compete with the roku and amazon fire box. I suppose it wouldn't cost that much more to ship a hundred thousand or something.

Riky

$MSFT
That's not really hard to accomplish, it was also the most marketed game this month. I'm willing to bet that they haven't even broken even on the project. I read the final hours of titanfall and that was really eye opening. I mean, killzone is the best selling next gen exclusive and its online community is practically dead. What does that tell you?

If it wasn't hard then everyone could do it, we don't actually know the figures apart from it outsold inFamous on a smaller installed base. As for breaking even, I don't know how many AAA games break even in three weeks, my guess is not many. Titanfall is far from dead online, far from it.

TheCloser

Banned
Holy cow, Vita. Wow.
Why are you surprised? You can't even find a Vita in store because they are clearing stock. The number will be even worse in April. It should get better in may. If Sony was smart, y would release a Vita slim stand-alone at $150 asap and the borderlands bundle at $199 in may.

Why do people catch feelings on what Major Nelson says. What do you want him to say

"congrats Sony, you have won and we give up"

It was a joke, bro. I just reworded his infamous mic-grabbing rant on Angry Joe from back when they were still trying to peddle the DRM and always-online policy.

Major Nelson asks, “Do you? Are you on the development team?” Angry Joe answered to the negative and Major Nelson added, “Okay, so I think that’s a little bold of you to say …

Feorax

So given that Titanfall obviously hasn't done what MS expected, what are the odds of them paying for another big third party exclusive this generation?

Zalman

So given thay Titanfall obviously hasn't done what MS expected, what are the odds of them paying for another big third party exclusive this generation?
Considering they barely have enough first party studios themselves, I'd say this is very likely.

We won't even find out until June numbers to see Mario Kart 8's impact on Wii U since it's releasing at end of May. What another horrible drought.

TheCloser

Banned
If it wasn't hard then everyone could do it, we don't actually know the figures apart from it outsold inFamous on a smaller installed base. As for brwaking even, I don't know how many AAA games break even in three weeks, my guess is not many. Titanfall is far from dead online, far from it.

I give it till September. Once destiny drops, that number is plummeting. I'm not saying that it's a bad game but it gets repetitive quickly. They attempted to shake the insta death in Cod and they did not succeed. The titans adds a different dynamic to the gameplay but it's not a revolutionary shooter. It's an iterative shooter but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just that people are tired of that type of gameplay. The shooter market needs another COD4 and Titanfall is not it.

In the XB1 shipped 5 million to retailers thread, some of the calculations [rough as they are] suggest XB1 WW LTD might be sub-4M :\

Good grief. So MS only managed to sell less than 1m in the same time-frame that Sony sold 2+(?)m?

I knew things were bad, but that's just crazy.

Not only this, but imagine how badly XB1 sales will crater in April.

Indeed. April won't be pretty at all, both will likely see a fall due to no big releases, but if MS is struggling to keep up when their biggest game of this quarter drops...

donny2112

Any word on a PS3 number? Last one needed for prediction results.

*checks wiki*

Holy crap you're right. The Dreamcast outsold the Wii U on its deathbed in the US.

Think about that for a second.

The system was $50. I think plenty more people would buy a Wii U right now if it was $50. :lol Wii U is terrible, but the DC comparison is stacked toward DC after the system went on clearance. :p

Incidentally Oblivion is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Do you remember how Oblivion was marketed last gen?

They focused on the "Radiant AI" with each character having their own motivation, schedule, etc and how it was going to be the first console anything like this was possible on. They also showed off far improved graphics and unscripted sequences that could occur purely as a consequence of the new AI systems. Even if you weren't a fan of the genre it was some pretty exciting stuff.

This gen has been really strange. For the past couple of years building/exploration games like Minecraft and PvP RPG style games like DotA have been completely reshaping the games industry. There was a ton of room for excitement and large, even if incremental, innovation there. Large scale RPG style PvP game with 100 playable heroes where players can join clans or go it alone with the goal of eventually taking over the world at which point the cycle begins anew. AAA builder with the ability to instantly import real world terrains to play with and share not only from earth but even the moon using satellite imagery with worlds that keep on living and evolving even while you sleep through "the power of the cloud." That sort of stuff is thinking big and what helps get people excited. Yet all of this seems to have neglected in lieu of more generic shooters and action+RPG element games.

I still see paralells, titanfall was talking about its cloud ai etc and it was world of warcraft reshaping the scene

Top Bottom