• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

SparkTR

The software sales decline is surprising to me, considering the amount of high quality releases last month. Before this generation began I fully expected one of either the Xbone or PS4 to drop off in regards to sales at some point in the year due to changing market conditions, and it looks that could be a reality for the Xbone over the next few months.

madmackem

Getting rid of Kinect and cutting the price would be a good start though.

Didnt it already have stealth cut, i feel all i have heard about these past few weeks is xboxone sales going on in the us, also tossing in titanfall free is a sort of price cut in itself. I dont know what they can do now, i predicted surely they would win this months npd due to those sales and titanfall push but they failed to i just dont know what they can do.

They need to be careful as well, cutting deep early sends all kinds of other signals too, also removing kinect now would be pretty dumb move, theyve been pushing it on millions of people to remove it now will see support for it up shit creek although its not far off that now.

Difficult times ahead for xbox, its losing in its two mainstay regions from last gen with little ideas on how to change it.

Riky

$MSFT
Serious.

Not US of course but the US sales of Xbone will be balanced by the WW sales of Wii U in it first year.

The Sales will drop to Xbone now without more releases and you will see it doing like Wii U last year WW.

Where exactly is the Wii U selling enough to compete with US/UK sales of X1?

AniHawk

Sure, even if it doesn't reach psp levels it'll still get somewhere up there again. I guess that most people buying a vita are just buying digitally anyway, so retailers aren't going to be that enthralled with keeping a big display for it.

target has a section where they put the vitas and psps, and then there's a single row of 6 vita games mixed in with the ps3 stuff. at gamestop, vita is no longer on the wall. it's relegated to a stack somewhere in the middle of the store like where the wii section and discount games are.

i don't think people are buying digitally on vita enough to sustain software sales. the games that are selling for the machine are really only bought by gamestop these days.

Any word on a PS3 number? Last one needed for prediction results.

The system was $50. I think plenty more people would buy a Wii U right now if it was $50. :lol Wii U is terrible, but the DC comparison is stacked toward DC after the system went on clearance. :p

You didn't check the prediction thread? Get on with compiling the results already! :p

Taker34

Banned
MncQtKX.png

[grabs mic] You know what you need to do? Do you? Are you on the marketing team?

Okay, so I think that’s a little bold of you to say it's a marathon not a sprint and you know what to do to turn it around.

It's not like you can just flip a switch and start outselling the PS4.

I understood that reference.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Along with several points already mentioned, Sony also has exclusive marketing with some major titles such as Watch Dogs, Destiny and Ass Creed.

PS4s brand strength is sky high at the moment and MS won't be able to dent it without signing of some big fat checks.

Kinan

Ok, Xbox is out of the "better than Wii" race, even using shipped data:

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Still better than anything from the past generations though.

Feorax

Considering they barely have enough first party studios themselves, I'd say this is very likely.

Surely third parties are going to be asking for astronomical sums now though? XB1 exclusivity means guaranteed loss of well over half of your next-gen install base.

ethomaz

Banned
Where exactly is the Wii U selling enough to compete with US/UK sales of X1?
I said it will start to sell because the sales will drop a lot now that TF is old.

Xbone will start to sell close to Wii U's 2013 numbers... not US where Xbone will always be strong but WW.

Or did you thing Xbone will magically do over 200k next NPD? Add 30-40k a month in UK and you will have ~250k sold in April WW... this is for sure close to Wii U level last year than PS4.

AniHawk

We won't even find out until June numbers to see Mario Kart 8's impact on Wii U since it's releasing at end of May. What another horrible drought.

i imagine that mario kart 8 does about 50% of its first two months during may, which is only two days. regardless, it's going to look bad when sales come out and it's only at 120k physical and console sales are 60k. june's also a 5 week month so just overall sales should look more impressive. i forget if june is another situation like march where it's actually not a strong month despite how many days it gets.

Pretty good picture of top ten software this month.

1. Titanfall > 1M
  2. Infamous: Second Son < 500K
  3. South Park: Stick of Truth < 440K
    (360 < 242K)
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  5. Dark Souls II < 350K
    (PS3 <178K, 360 <172K)
  6. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - 278K
    (PS4 ~150K, XBO ~55K, PS3 ~53K)
  7. NBA 2K14
  8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD - 260K
    (PS3 ~208K, PSV ~52K)
  9. The LEGO Movie Videogame
  10. Minecraft

Total PS4 software = 6.78M
Total XBO software = 7.48M

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nope, as one of the few who predicted it, I was not shocked. I knew that the ps4 would sell more and i couldn't shake the feeling that titanfall's hype was manufactured. Did you read IGNs preview? God, it was embarrassing. The reason Titanfall didn't do gangbusters is because of its poor value proposition and poor marketing. No single player campaign and $60? That's not going to fly anywhere and the lack of a single player campaign makes it hard to market the game. Cod also dropped it's price to $20 during the month and as a consumer, it's a lot easier to justify a $20 expenditure for a known entity than $60 for an unknown entity.

Shocked? Nope, I saw it coming from a mile away. Price is not the issue with the xb1 and Kinect is not the issue either. The issue with the xb1 is their screw up in may, poor messaging, nodrm campaign, and horrible word of mouth.
Their screw up in may was an epic failure; they were basically setting up Sony a pr win at every step. This led to the nodrm campaign which led to horrible word of mouth on the xb1. The playroom demo on Jimmy Fallon essentially solidified Playstation as the number one console to get in the USA.

Really, at this point, even casuals know that the xb1 is weaker and its value proposition is so poor. Dropping the price won't do shit. It's like the iPhone 5 vs iPhone 5c. Why would you buy a 5c when you can buy the iPhone 5? It's just pointless and these weekly resolution articles aren't helping. All you need to do is go to N4g or youtube and you'll see comments like "xbox 1.5" or "xbox off". You really can't fight that kind of pr. It's like guerilla warfare. It's just too spread out and there is no blanket solution for it.

You're crossing the steams on Titanfall not moving Xbox One units vs. Titanfall being successful in general. It's absolutely a success, this is a great debut for a new IP. It sold over double of the number 2 spot without the 360 version being part of the equation.

Zalman

Surely third parties are going to be asking for astronomical sums now though? XB1 exclusivity means guaranteed loss of well over half of your next-gen install base.
True, but they can't survive on their own. They have the weakest first-party of the big three. They need to give people a reason to pick their console over the PS4, and I'm sure they are aware of that. I'd be shocked if we didn't get a third-party exclusive from them later this year.

Sandfox

True, but they can't survive on their own. They have the weakest first-party of the big three. They need to give people a reason to pick their console over the PS4, and I'm sure they are aware of that. I'd be shocked if we didn't get a third-party exclusive from them later this year.

I'm curious to see how their new studios work out for them.

Titanfall doubled inFamous sales?

Infamous was never really a big series.

Bladenic

Pretty good picture of top ten software this month.

1. Titanfall > 1M
  2. Infamous: Second Son < 500K
  3. South Park: Stick of Truth < 440K
    (360 < 242K)
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  5. Dark Souls II < 350K
    (PS3 <178K, 360 <172K)
  6. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - 278K
    (PS4 ~150K, XBO ~55K, PS3 ~53K)
  7. NBA 2K14
  8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD - 208K
    (PS3 ~166K, PSV ~42K)
  9. The LEGO Movie Videogame
  10. Minecraft

If true, HAHA at FFX/X-2 outselling Lightning Returns and with less time (I think, not much).

TheCloser

Banned
I think Sony screwed up and its too late now.
It's not too late in my view. They actually have one more chance to rebrand it and save the machine so that it doesn't end up with a sub 20 million userbase in its lifetime. Vita has a lot of games now but no one knows about it or cares. They need to keep building up the library but their killer game has got to be minecraft with an online mode and ad hoc mode as well. This needs to be bundled with the vita and a memory card at $149. They need a heavy marketing push via tv and youtube to let everyone know that you can play minecraft on your vita anywhere at anytime. The other thing they need is also one more cod. A proper one, maybe built by bluepoint? It should be built off the Cod 4 base and include all the fan favorite maps over the length of the franchise and some new ones as well. It should have a campaign and it needs a zombies mode. They also need a gta game. There is no denying Gta's ability to move systems. All these things are going to cost money and Sony will need to bankroll these projects. Do they want to? The answer is no. If a Vita was $150 and it had gta, minecraft, a viable cod and a gran turismo game, it sells well in Europe.

fedexpeon

Banned

And potentially destroying your franchise series.
You will left with a one hit no-show, and closing your studio afterward if MS doesn't agree with the sales.
The risk is too high to go X1 exclusive right now if the trend will continue in favor for PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
We need Titanfall breakdown per plaform... it did amazing for a new IP (well even old IP) but I want to know how many units on IC and Xbone separately.

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

I think this is the most embarassing post I've ever read.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
@Aqua, how bad were the Saturn's numbers in comparison to the Wii U and Dreamcast? Also, how much had the GameCube sold in the US in the same # of months as the Wii U? Thanks.

Feorax

At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to try acquiring studios than just spending stupid money exclusivity of individual games or franchises? Looks at what Media Molecule has been able to do with Sony. The incentive is there if MS are smart.

The do have some decent 1st party presence, but 343i, Turn 10, Rare and Lionhead will only get you so far. Especially since the likelyhood of a new IP from any of those studios is >1%.

Dire

I still see paralells, titanfall was talking about its cloud ai etc and it was world of warcraft reshaping the scene

Absolutely. The problem is that they never really showed the amazing cloud AI - only talked about it. When players did finally get to see it the reason was pretty clear - it amounted to a bunch of grunts standing around lobotomized.

It actually could have been a great marketing idea to make the grunts too strong, which would have been pretty trivial to do, then claim they underestimated the power of the cloud after inevitable player backlash from the beta and then dumbed them down a bit. Suddenly the cloud is perceived as being "too powerful" (imagine the headlines there..) and Respawn/MS are willing to near instantly benevolently act on player requests.

ricelord

It's not too late in my view. They actually have one more chance to rebrand it and save the machine so that it doesn't end up with a sub 20 million userbase in its lifetime. Vita has a lot of games now but no one knows about it or cares. They need to keep building up the library but their killer game has got to be minecraft with an online mode and ad hoc mode as well. This needs to be bundled with the vita and a memory card at $149. They need a heavy marketing push via tv and youtube to let everyone know that you can play minecraft on your vita anywhere at anytime. The other thing they need is also one more cod. A proper one, maybe built by bluepoint? It should be built off the Cod 4 base and include all the fan favorite maps over the length of the franchise and some new ones as well. It should have a campaign and it needs a zombies mode. They also need a gta game. There is no denying Gta's ability to move systems. All these things are going to cost money and Sony will need to bankroll these projects. Do they want to? The answer is no. If a Vita was $150 and it had gta, minecraft, a viable cod and a gran turismo game, it sells well in Europe.

and cheaper memory cards.

TheCloser

Banned
You're crossing the steams on Titanfall not moving Xbox One units vs. Titanfall being successful in general. It's absolutely a success, this is a great debut for a new IP. It sold over double of the number 2 spot without the 360 version being part of the equation.
You and i have a different definition of great. Homefront sold a million so I don't see your point. In fact, Ea hasn't even announced 1 million sold. Is it a great debut? Nope. It's average at best not by amount of sales but because of the initial investment and the giant expectations. The difference between this game and Cod 4 is the lack of word of mouth advertising. Titanfall's price has been slashed at least once since it's release. I don't know about you but big games don't get their price slashed within a month from release. I don't know any retailer that sold gta V at a reduced price in the first 3 months.

Dynedom

i think all of you who accused him of trolling owe Bish an apology!

Seriously though, I'm eating crow (as a PS4 owner). Wow.

I also didn't expect Infamous to chart second (I expected it to chart lower). Double crow intake.

Zalman

Let's be real here, most of Vita's big games are ports. Borderlands 2, FFXHD, Minecraft, various PS2 trilogies... They haven't done a good job supporting the system, and I don't see them putting much effort into it now when they can focus on the PS4.

At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to try acquiring studios than just spending stupid money exclusivity of individual games or franchises? Looks at what Media Molecule has been able to do with Sony. The incentive is there if MS are smart.

The do have some decent 1st party presence, but 343i, Turn 10, Rare and Lionhead will only get you so far. Especially since the likelyhood of a new IP from any of those studios is >1%.
I agree, they should definitely start acquiring STUDIOS, not just games. That's what I've been wanting them to do for years now. The 360 was a massive success for them, but their exclusive games weren't anything to write home about. I am cautiously optimistic for their future though. Phil Spencer seems like a guy who knows that he's doing.

Sandfox

Sony isn't going to want to take that big of hit on the Vita HW and money hatting all those games. Also, they probably wouldn't be ready until 2016 and the Vita will be even worse of then.

AniHawk

sony and microsoft are fairly even. neither have any megafranchises except for gran turismo and halo. naughty dog games and god of war sell about 4-5m and so do the gears of war titles.

DieH@rd

Banned
It is very safe to say now that PS4 has surpassed WORLDWIDE LTD sales numbers of Wii U. Nintendo announced few months ago that they aim to reach 6.2mil shipped WiiU consoles by end of Q1. Sony is easily smashing competition on a home console front...

But.... RIP Vita. I still believe that this is the best handheld console ever made, with lots of games and great functionality for doing lots of things on it. But these sales are terribad. :(

@Aqua, how bad were the Saturn's numbers in comparison to the Wii U and Dreamcast? Also, how much had the GameCube sold in the US in the same # of months as the Wii U? Thanks.

Very bad. Not even 1.5 million lifetime sales. Even the Vita has beat the Saturn in terms of lifetime sales.

GameCube LTD (March 2003): 3.91 million

Wii U LTD (March 2014): 2.30 million

Top Bottom