• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] The Matrix Awakens: Tech-Demo Analysis - PS5 | SX | SS

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From NXGamer:

The unreal engine 5 demo launched this morning to show of just what can be done with it on Next gen hardware. The Matrix is a perfect meld of the digital and real-world. In this, part 1 of my 2 part look at the demo, technology, comparisons and more. I take a dive into the Matrix on PS5, Series X and Series S to see just how it looks, runs and differs. Be sure to check back over the weekend for Part 2 which will be dive much deeper into code....

AnotherOne

dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

GHG

Cross-post from the other thread:

Internal resolutions and framerates:

• PS5: 1080p - 24fps cutscenes, 30fps gameplay with frame pacing issues.
  • Series X: 1080p - 24fps cutscenes, 30fps gameplay with drops.
  • Series S: 720p-756p (along with reduced world detail, reduced pedestrian/car count, less geometry and more aggressive LOD) - 24fps cutscenes, 30fps gameplay with drops.

Last edited:

onQ123

Internal resolutions:

• PS5: 1080p
  • Series X: 1080p
  • Series S: 720p-756p (along with reduced world detail, reduced pedestrian/car count, less geometry and more aggressive LOD)
It's never 1080P I'm not sure why NX & DF talk like this I guess it's just easier for them to say it this way than to actually explain TSR over & over .

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Oh you are so clever shut up.
this is no ordinary performance crap 1080p. You can resolve details far away. Why are you trolling
This is ordinary 1080p upsampled to 1440p through TSR. The film-grain fooled you. It does look nice tho' and it gives hope for stable 60fps for all games going forward - halleluja!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
1080p is fine as an internal resolution. If the upscaling technique is good like DLSS or Epic's super resolution then there's no problem really.
But I see a lot of the same guys that said upsampled/upscaled 1080p were shit - saying they've never seen better graphics than the tech demo, so it just makes me wonder if they still think the same.

You win. Lets end With that. It does look good
Handshake Reaction GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1080p... But, but all the fidelity (4K) guys said this were the best graphics they've ever seen..

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
“4K” guys use DLSS 99% of the time, and gush about it. For good reason, love the tech. Nobody has a leg to stand on in current year now when it comes to resolutions.

Look like a bunch of damned clowning ass goofy bitch fools, otherwise.

Nobody guessed this was 1080p, just as with Returnal, and just as they were fooled with the original UE5 demo that ended up being 1440p. It’s just a redundant argument now.

Last edited:

elliot5

But I see a lot of the same guys that said upsampled/upscaled 1080p were shit - saying they've never seen better graphics than the tech demo, so it just makes me wonder if they still think the same.

Handshake Reaction GIF
it all comes down to the image quality. If the internal resolution is low and the upscaling isn't great, or if there's just a general low image quality then yeah something may get some flak

8BiTw0LF

Banned
“4K” guys use DLSS 99% of the time, and gushes about it. For good reason, love the tech. Nobody has a leg to stand on in current year now when it comes to resolutions when the final visual outcome are what matters.

I really like it! Resolution should never be a factor in scaling a game - at least not going forward. It's all about the effects.

For me it really depends on how good the reconstruction is when the base resolution is that low. I know that there's a huge difference between the checkerboarding of RDR2 when you compare it to something like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Nvidia's DLSS technique has proven itself to be vastly superior to many reconstruction techniques for example.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the final IQ is what ultimately matters.

In regards to this demo there's a lot going on besides just resolution. For example the amount of moving assets and draw distance is pretty impressive. Plus there's some pretty high quality character models in the demo as well. Not to mention the destruction seems pretty neat as well.

“4K” guys use DLSS 99% of the time, and gush about it. For good reason, love the tech. Nobody has a leg to stand on in current year now when it comes to resolutions.

Nobody guessed this was 1080p, just as with Returnal, and just as they were fooled with the original UE5 demo that ended up being 1440p. It’s just a redundant argument now.

Just thinking about the hardware here. I know that reconstruction takes some resources to accomplish. However it's less than a Native 4K image. Which means the free resources that you have left over can be applied other other things. For example I would definitely notice a lot less pedestrians and vehicles on the street than an IQ that's slightly worse than native 4K.

This is something that can be applied to any system. I believe the saying "work smarter not harder" applies here.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
In regards to this demo there's a lot going on besides just resolution. For example the amount of moving assets and draw distance is pretty impressive. Plus there's some pretty high quality character models in the demo as well. Not to mention the destruction seems pretty neat as well.
Absolutely! Heck, I'd even go for that Series S resolution with toned down effects if I can play in 120fps. UE5 is a monster and I can't wait to see what devs will do with it in the future.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just thinking about the hardware here. I know that reconstruction takes some resources to accomplish. However it's less than a Native 4K image. Which means the free resources that you have left over can be applied other other things. For example I would definitely notice a lot less pedestrians and vehicles on the street than an IQ that's slightly worse than native 4K.

This is something that can be applied to any system. I believe the saying "work smarter not harder" applies here.
Yep, that’s why I’ve been on the bandwagon that these new reconstruction techniques are much better than wasting resources on 4K native.

The most powerful of the powerful love that DLSS, after all.

Hell, even movie CGI is drawn at low resolutions and reconstructed.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Heck, I'd even go for that Series S resolution with toned down effects if I can play in 120fps. UE5 is a monster and I canøt wait to see what devs will do with it in the future.

Honestly I don't have a 120Hz screen so 60FPs or 30FPs is all that I can experience on my screen. Not to mention due to my screen size 1440P still looks acceptable on it. Im always flipping between modes and if there isn't a massive difference in IQ I usually stick with the mode with the most solid performance. What I mean by that is I prefer a stable 30FPs over an unstable 60FPs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it's because it's just grey city. That it would look way more impressive, if they employ some artistry. Technologically tho, shit is really high-end.

No I'm talking about the shimmering/aliasing, lots of artifacts around objects all over the place. It's nice looking but plenty of next gen games look much better, despite the level of RT here might be higher.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No I'm talking about the shimmering/aliasing, lots of artifacts around objects all over the place. It's nice looking but plenty of next gen games look much better, despite the level of RT here might be higher.
Yeah some denoiser would be nice, not sure if there is a budget for that tho, but hopefully... That's the biggest problem with RT, the noise.

Yep, that’s why I’ve been on the bandwagon that these new reconstruction techniques are much better than wasting resources on 4K native.

The most powerful of the powerful love that DLSS, after all.

Hell, even movie CGI is drawn at low resolutions and reconstructed.

If I had a 3090 I would definitely use DLSS and then just crank up the other visual settings. Granted as long as it looks good and feels great that what really matters to me.

For example with this demo my only issue was the performance in some parts. Visually it looked pretty good on my screen.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Honestly I don't have a 120Hz screen so 60FPs or 30FPs is all that I can experience on my screen. Not to mention due to my screen size 1440P still looks acceptable on it. Im always flipping between modes and if there isn't a massive difference in IQ I usually stick with the mode with the most solid performance. What I mean by that is I prefer a stable 30FPs over an unstable 60FPs.
120hz is so good if you sit close to your tv/monitor and plays fast-paced games. For anything else I'd take 60fps any day. 30fps unforturtunately makes my stomach uncomfortable.

120hz is so good if you sit close to your tv/monitor and plays fast-paced games. For anything else I'd take 60fps any day. 30fps unforturtunately makes my stomach uncomfortable.

Well my monitor doesn't support 120HZ so it's not something that I can see.

Are you talking about the input lag?

I should try playing some old games at 120FPs to see if I notice any difference in the controls.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I had a 3090 I would definitely use DLSS and then just crank up the other visual settings. Granted as long as it looks good and feels great that what really matters to me.

For example with this demo my only issue was the performance in some parts. Visually it looked pretty good on my screen.
Yep, I used to be a huge native resolution purist back in the day. Like most on the PC. Mainly due to upscalers weren’t that great on either cards or monitors.

Now that the techniques have improved so much, I’ve been convinced to ditch that mindset.
While true, this is also a tech demo that I believe is open source for developers to use. In a big talented AAA studio, their capable hands will be able to clean a lot of this up.

I just currently chalk it up as glitches in the matrix done by film artist’s hands ;)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The fact that this was created by, as he said, creative film makers, shows me hat video game developers need to step their game up.

Are all the bright, young creative minds going into the film world rather than video game development?

Top Bottom