• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest 2 has sold 10 million units

GHG

because its in stock and readily available, lets be honest here... if the big 3 were in stock for all to have the quest2 wouldn't outsell them no way this holiday.

Just being in stock isn't enough, there also needs to be sustained demand to hit 10m units in just over a year.

Majukun

they just sold an unit to me so they must be doing something right...although i must say the tech is still not completely there, especially for screen definiion and lense focus , takes you out of the experience a lot..but i'm still exploring all you can do with it...

while i'm here...is it worth it to "overclock" it through sidequest? does it invalidate the warranty?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
they just sold an unit to me so they must be doing something right...although i must say the tech is still not completely there, especially for screen definiion and lense focus , takes you out of the experience a lot..but i'm still exploring all you can do with it...

while i'm here...is it worth it to "overclock" it through sidequest? does it invalidate the warranty?
I wouldn’t and why do you think you need it?

Last edited:

GHG

No, no point at all considering the native games are optimised for the device. If you want more performance/better visuals leave the hardware inside the headset alone and hook it up to a PC.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why do you have to hate FB just because you don't like signing in to play a game?
And if the users complaining are such a small minority, why are they removing the log in requirement?

They are removing the login requirements largely for business users. And they have to extend it to consumers since it makes no sense to take it off corporations and leave it enforced for consumers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Any real difference/value in the $400 versus the $300 one other than more memory? Is that even a consideration? How many of the extras like the straps and battery pack are actually mandatory?

I had the samsung VR so my use case for the oculus is mostly for passive view experiences for my kids since they aren't really old enough for interactive games like Alyx. I'd like to play some real games though, probably not using the PC since all I have is a dell xps 7590 with a GTX 1650 so I'm not sure that will help drive any VR to the quest2.

Sleepwalker

Any real difference/value in the $400 versus the $300 one other than more memory? Is that even a consideration? How many of the extras like the straps and battery pack are actually mandatory?

I had the samsung VR so my use case for the oculus is mostly for passive view experiences for my kids since they aren't really old enough for interactive games like Alyx. I'd like to play some real games though, probably not using the PC since all I have is a dell xps 7590 with a GTX 1650 so I'm not sure that will help drive any VR to the quest2.
Steam has a VR benchmark tool which will tell you how VR ready your pc is.

As for the model, for me i found the 128gb more than enough when i had one.

DarkestHour

Banned
I keep forgetting I have one. Could never find games that were actually interesting and hooking it up to PC was annoyingly frustrating.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Steam has a VR benchmark tool which will tell you how VR ready your pc is.

As for the model, for me i found the 128gb more than enough when i had one.
I ran the VR app once, forgot what it said but I think it was a low score. Dell advertises the XPS 7590 as "VR ready" but I think there is an issue with the intel graphics versus the GTX. Anyway, the only difference for $100 is the 128gb storage? I don't plan on loading the thing up with......content so I should be good with the 128.

Sleepwalker

I ran the VR app once, forgot what it said but I think it was a low score. Dell advertises the XPS 7590 as "VR ready" but I think there is an issue with the intel graphics versus the GTX. Anyway, the only difference for $100 is the 128gb storage? I don't plan on loading the thing up with......content so I should be good with the 128.
Yeah the storage is the only difference as far as im aware. I would recommend the elite strap though as its more comfortable.

Stitch

Gold Member
And is FB known to just bend the knee like that to a small minority of complainers? Seems suddenly weak.
Their whole Infrastructure was down for a day and they had some massive data leaks so I think Zuckerbot is playing nice to make everyone forget about it.

Zephir

Bought one yesterday...I never tried a VR headset before......the tech demo included sold me instantly, just like astro bot sold me on the Dualsense...it was incredible!
Tried some demos, documentaries and steam vr, it's all perfect...if it wasn't for the battery alert, I would spend so many hours playing random stuff.

Even playing paintball on RecRoom was a blast!

R6Rider

Gold Member
The Quest as a standalone with no PC involved is lame. The Quest with a PC is great.

Might grab my own down the road, but right now I'm sticking to my PSVR and will grab PSVR2 at release.

Quest 3 should be really good as well.

DarkestHour

Banned
You have no interest in RE4 VR or that Walking Dead game? I’d be all over those if I had one.

Not for the prices or a way to try before I buy. My experience has been the majority of games are either incomplete or glorified tech demos with not much substance. I'm sure there's a lot better games now, but the costs concern me.

I've really been wanting someone to make a space shooter type game like Colony Wars! How awesome would that be? VR seems perfect for space sim/arcade.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Entirely unsurprised. It's leaps and bounds ahead of every other VR headset on release, for its sheer ease of use, price, and wireless compatibility with PC.

...and I guess we'll be hearing less from the 'VR is just another gimmick' crowd from now on, yes?

Also, good luck Sony with your backwards as fuck tethered PSVR2.

Last edited:

Kacho

My experience has been the majority of games are either incomplete or glorified tech demos with not much substance.
I’m pretty sure this is why we hear so many VR owners saying they haven’t touched their device in months. Beyond the novelty, VR has a long way to go.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure this is why we hear so many VR owners saying they haven’t touched their device in months. Beyond the novelty, VR has a long way to go.
Quest 2 just got RE4, Blade and Sorcery Nomad, and Medal of Honor. Sure, more games would be great, but if they haven't played RE4 then they're missing out. The game is fucking insanely good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Quest 2 just got RE4, Blade and Sorcery Nomad, and Medal of Honor. Sure, more games would be great, but if they haven't played RE4 then they're missing out. The game is fucking insanely good.
I'm gonna need a list of recommendations on games around Christmas. RE4 is the only one I'm for sure getting so far.

Kev Kev

Hopefully it comes with controllers too.
looks like it will be coming with those new ones they showed earlier this year. i wouldnt be surprised if they tried to charge xtra for them separately, though

doesn matter to me as i wont be getting a ps5 or psvr2 until at least 3 or 4 years from now. maybe itll be wireless by then too. thatd be a nice bonus.

Romulus

You can hear that same thing about any device. People say it all the time about Switch and ps5 but they're both popular. I haven't touched by ps5 outside of playing ps4 games and I've had it almost a year. Quest 2 is still pretty new.
The guy you quoted doesn't even know what games the Quest has. He outright admitted that, and had trouble connecting it to PC. Grain of salt opinion. My 9 year nephew had Quest 2 running on his pc w zero help.

Keihart

but VR is dead, is a gimmick !

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Elysion

Banned
10 million? That’s a good number, especially for the first year. It seems that after almost a decade of tinkering, VR is finally on the cusp of becoming mainstream.

I just wonder how it will change the gaming landscape in the long run. Will VR be fully integrated into PC, mobile and console gaming, or will it be its own thing and remain a ‘fourth pillar’ of the gaming industry?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because the resolution so far is not the greatest, everything looks too pixelated and breaks immersion
Overclocking the device won't change it's resolution. Also the stock resolution for the Quest 2 is quite high. Nearly 4K. You're going to have to spend a fair bit more for something that's not a lot better.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm asking why you need to hate fb just because you'd rather not be logged in while gaming. Seems there are likely people ok with FB but not for gaming.

And is FB known to just bend the knee like that to a small minority of complainers? Seems suddenly weak.
Why else would you not buy something because it requires a fb log in?

FB didn’t bend the knee, but unsurprisingly some people think they did. Like I said, they basically tricked those people into thinking they bent the knee. It’s easier for them if you login to fb, but makes no real difference if you don’t.

Reallink

Not for the prices or a way to try before I buy. My experience has been the majority of games are either incomplete or glorified tech demos with not much substance. I'm sure there's a lot better games now, but the costs concern me.

I've really been wanting someone to make a space shooter type game like Colony Wars! How awesome would that be? VR seems perfect for space sim/arcade.

Genuine high quality full fledged games are still rare, but the back catalog is strong enough that anyone with even a passive interest in VR or videogames should own one. It's not the 1990's and early 2000's anymore, not even base SKU 5 year old consoles drop under $200 now days. There's a price floor on what these things can reasonbly be sold for, and a current model will never be meaningfully cheaper than the $250 they're discounted to this Holiday. So at this point you're not waiting for cheaper prices, you're waiting for better specs at the same price.

Resenge

The real problem with having your Facebook account tied to your Quest is if your Facebook account is banned then so was your Oculus account and all your purchases too. New sign ups with new Quests would sometimes get their Facebook account auto banned also.

It was a major fuck up.

Personally I have no love for Facebook and do not want a Facebook account, but I made one, turned off everything I could and made my details not searchable because the Quest is worth it, for now. I am out as soon as something better comes along though.

Last edited:

Romulus

FB didn’t bend the knee, but unsurprisingly some people think they did. Like I said, they basically tricked those people into thinking they bent the knee. It’s easier for them if you login to fb, but makes no real difference if you don’t.

I don't understand the first question. Some of its the structure maybe but I don't think it's relevant to my point.

So what did FB do exactly? Before you were required to log in, now you're not. If it was easier for FB before, they made it harder on themselves now. That is a compromise to the vocal "minority." Not sure how we know that its a minority. Basically, this entire conversation is based on assumptions now that I think about it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't understand the first question. Some of its the structure maybe but I don't think it's relevant to my point.

So what did FB do exactly? Before you were required to log in, now you're not. If it was easier for FB before, they made it harder on themselves now. That is a compromise to the vocal "minority." Not sure how we know that its a minority. Basically, this entire conversation is based on assumptions now that I think about it.
FB track you the same even if you're not logged in.

Top Bottom