• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of the two hotly anticipated games, which is likely to have the stronger emergent gameplay? (TLoU v DS)

cormack12

Gold Member
So GAF - we have two very different games here with very different aims.

Are you expecting the AI and encounters to be much different and more adaptive in TLoU2? Will the updated stealth mechanics glimpsed in UC4 be more engaging? Will the AI that ND spoke about evoke more emotional choices on whether to avoid combat or are you gonnna kill....every last one of them? Will the crafting and tools limit/enhance encounters, will animals provide a different challenge?

Rearding Death Stranding, are you expecting the traversal and environment punctuated by enemies to provide more interesting interactions to overcome? We should leave out the 'genre' as a weigted factor. Will the user led choices on loadout provide more compelling and unique challenges per playthrough? Will the weather be an intriguing modifier or an exasperating frustration? Will the managing of gauges, balance and resistances be compelling extra's as you go from point A to B? Will the drafting be more impactful than in TLoU2?

DefinitiveBruisedGuppy-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_pa9blzuNDM1qe9lpso2_r1_500.gif

HiddenDisguisedHoki-size_restricted.gif

kuz7z8zsn2411.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

MintyJoyousGreathornedowl-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

1568461038843.gif

Edit: wat? Have polls gone?

Geki-D

Banned
If DS' gameplay is anything like MGSV then I'd say it'll no doubt be very similar to TLOU2. Each will have their own advantages; DS will shine through it's invent items and gadgets and TLOU2 through it's fluid animation.

I'd say TLOU2 will edge it out, people prefer fluidity, generally.

Shagger

Banned
It's difficult to say. We at least have some idea what to expect with the TLOU 2 because it's a sequil and the more conventional of the two, I do think THOU 2 will suit my taste a little more, but I've not given up on DS and I am cautiously optimistic.

How can you compare a STRANDING game to a third person shooter? 2 different genres, TLO2 doesn't even have any ladders.

The first game had ladders...

FMXVII

TLOU 2 will be just another overrated over the shoulder third person game and Death Stranding feels like it will be a disappointment. Still, Kojima usually nails gameplay on his games while TLOU has a history of sucking in that departement.

But... don't you adore crafting perishable items?

Shifty

Epic amounts of confirmation bias going on in here.

TLoU2 doesn't stand a chance if your comparison axis is emergent gameplay. It's a linear stealth 'em up with light crafting elements and only so many permutations for each encounter, whereas DS is an open world game where events and encounters are dictated entirely by which direction the player chooses to go.

Literally what the fuck at the mental backflips required to even consider TLoU2 as a candidate here.

Last edited:
To my knowledge DS is more open world and therefore more likely to result in emergent gameplay. Though TLOU 2 has had devs bragging about the different things that can happen with each encounter, but I'm assuming it's more linear with levels that are individual sandboxes. Again, this is all assuming. Like comparing a Far Cry game to a Crysis game, one is full open world and the other is open areas within a linear progression, there was more emergent gameplay in a Far Cry game but there was plenty of it in Crysis all the same.

Belmonte

The last game Kojima worked on is an emergent gameplay fest and Death Stranding seems to have a lot in common with it.

NPCs calling other NPCs names and mourning the deceased is a great idea, and I'm excited to see it, but gameplay-wise I'm betting on DS.

rəddəM

I just can't look at that TLoU2 gameplay and not love it.
Death Stranding is looking interesting so far but not enough.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well, if you're going to throw big words around like "emergent" I'm going to pick Death Stranding. I think TLOU2 will be a great game, but I don't think there will be any gameplay particularly emergent in it.

Death Stranding on the other hand is tanking the shared world umm, I don't know what to call it aspects of games like Dark Souls to the next level.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
People who act like TLOU doesn't have a great gameplay system (or one at all) simply haven't played the game or seen anything outside of story trailers

I have no idea what to expect from Desth Stranding.

Caffeine

I feel like deathstranding will have a regression in gameplay compared to mgsv. and the last of us 2 is progression from the first game in terms of gameplay so ye last of us.
I think the weakest point of ds is gonna be gameplay.

Ogbert

People who act like TLOU doesn't have a great gameplay system (or one at all) simply haven't played the game or seen anything outside of story trailers

I have no idea what to expect from Desth Stranding.

TLOU gameplay is average at best. Stealth is ok, gunplay and aiming is terrible, movement is clunky.

Looks beautiful and tells an engaging story, but it plays like a game from the mid-90s.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd say its not exactly an apples to apples comparison. ND is sticking with its "wide linear" approach so I'd expect it to be mainly about combat sandboxing, DS looks to be a lot less tightly constrained and more encouraging of actual exploration.

In simple terms "exploration" in ND games typically boils down to searching the area to find items or semi-hidden alternative paths and then moving on to the next tightly designed area. You aren't going to find yourself somewhere unexpected, you are just going to get there by variant routes with varying levels of threat. In DS route-planning seems a lot more freeform and more significant to the gameplay as it requires actual preparation and forethought.

II_JumPeR_I

None? Both will be the standard sony affair these days... super cinematic to look at but exhausting to play...
And people having faith in Kojima after shitty MGS5 is just lol

Breakage

Well, according to the recent Game Informer interview Kojima has come up with a revolutionary system where you can reward people with something called a “Like”.

Keihart

DS looks to be a heavily systemic designed game so i think DS will have more and probably more varied emergent gameplay.
TLoU2 is looking great to and some of the new tools look pretty interesting, i think both are going to be very good games in the gameplay department at least.

Edit: in TLoU2 Dogs for example are kinda changing the whole stealth flow of most games, enemies are basically always able to follow your trail to some degree so you will always have to move when surrounded in theory since dogs can stop you in your tracks and they always have a human partner, this is surely gonna make for some intense encounters.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

psygn0sis

None? Both will be the standard sony affair these days... super cinematic to look at but exhausting to play...
And people having faith in Kojima after shitty MGS5 is just lol

MGSV is one of my favourite games of this gen and it has an incredible gameplay so yeah, I've actually faith in Kojima.

Eiknarf

In TLOU that first time ya get to experience the strength of Joel first bashing an antagonists’ head into a wall, I was sold. You could feel the power and hate

if Ellie is that strong at bashing heads, I’m sold and think it’ll be the more fun game
That’s all that matters- FUN

Last edited:

Arachnid

Definitely Death Stranding. It won't even be a contest.

If TLoU2 is anything like the first, it will be polished but pretty by the numbers gameplay wise. The first really wasn't a good display of "emergent gameplay" since everything was super scripted and linear. The stealth and combat sections were also pretty bare bones.

Epic amounts of confirmation bias going on in here.

TLoU2 doesn't stand a chance if your comparison axis is emergent gameplay. It's a linear stealth 'em up with light crafting elements and only so many permutations for each encounter, whereas DS is an open world game where events and encounters are dictated entirely by which direction the player chooses to go.

Literally what the fuck at the mental backflips required to even consider TLoU2 as a candidate here.
Exactly. I'm not sure anyone could try to measure up TLoU2 with DS. It makes NO sense.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
if i'm being completely honest, both look to have absolutely trash mechanics

Care to justify that statement? Because, I have to be honest, if you think what's been shown looks like "trash" please tell me what exactly you expect, or what would qualify as "good" to you? I'm genuinely baffled.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Care to justify that statement? Because, I have to be honest, if you think what's been shown looks like "trash" please tell me what exactly you expect, or what would qualify as "good" to you? I'm genuinely baffled.

too soon to say, gotta play both first

something like titanfall 2 qualifies as 'good', i recognize that's setting an impossible standard tho

(i think both games are gonna be great, wish we had more gameplay to go on)

Last edited:
Top Bottom