• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of the two hotly anticipated games, which is likely to have the stronger emergent gameplay? (TLoU v DS)

MGS V is basically the definition of emergent gameplay. So I'll vote Death Stranding for now. MGS V is above almost all games except Breath of the Wild in terms of emergent gameplay.

Never really been into Naughty Dog. Seems like they go to insanely great lengths to have scripted gameplay above everyone else. Seems like TLOU2 will throw some dogs at you, and that's about the most I'm expecting in terms of adapting.

MGS V is basically the definition of emergent gameplay. So I'll vote Death Stranding for now. MGS V is above almost all games except Breath of the Wild in terms of emergent gameplay.

Never really been into Naughty Dog. Seems like they go to insanely great lengths to have scripted gameplay above everyone else. Seems like TLOU2 will throw some dogs at you, and that's about the most I'm expecting in terms of adapting.

Did you read the interview about the dogs? The interviewer played the segment and talked about how much it upset them killing the dogs and then Druckman
talks about how you don't need to kill any dogs, that how you approach situations by default without realizing there are better options is part of the themes of the game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't know why you can't anticipate both games, certainly you can take issue with multiplayer with both games which has been stifling.

Generic

The thing about is MGS5 is that, just like MGS4, the game gives the player a lot of weapons/gadgets/options but in the end only a few of them are efficient.

Keihart

The thing about is MGS5 is that, just like MGS4, the game gives the player a lot of weapons/gadgets/options but in the end only a few of them are efficient.
This is very accurate, but I still love the sentiment it just needs room to breath and some balance. MGS3 had both I think. Looks like DS will have both since options seem to be balanced around survival and space seems like a given with the pace of something like delivery as your main concept for gameplay

MGSV had far more opportunities for experimentation, 4 has a few specific sand boxes in between scripted moments, boss fights and lots of dialogue. No one's going to sink hundreds of hours into a single play through of 4 but plenty have for V.

Keihart

MGSV had far more opportunities for experimentation, 4 has a few specific sand boxes in between scripted moments, boss fights and lots of dialogue. No one's going to sink hundreds of hours into a single play through of 4 but plenty have for V.
I think he has a point, despite the amount of options you have in MGSV there is very little balance in most situations, so there are several over successful tactics or items or weapons, that if you don't choose to ignore can handle most situations. MGS4 had options and balance but very little space to experiment, you also had to dedicate yourself to experiment to see the real options.
MGS3 I think lands the perfect middle ground, Botw I think is similar in finding a balance.

I think he has a point, despite the amount of options you have in MGSV there is very little balance in most situations, so there are several over successful tactics or items or weapons, that if you don't choose to ignore can handle most situations. MGS4 had options and balance but very little space to experiment, you also had to dedicate yourself to experiment to see the real options.
MGS3 I think lands the perfect middle ground, Botw I think is similar in finding a balance.

I think he's wrong and MGSV was the most fun with the most experimentation that I did in the franchise.

Pallas

Giving it to Deaths Stranding, I think it’ll have the more unique way of storytelling and emergent gameplay plus there’s exploration to factor in as well.

One is going to have amazing gameplay and the other is death stranding

giphy.gif

OldBoyGamer

Banned
As someone who struggles to understand the sheer amount of love that TLOU gets, I’m going with DS.

Mostly because Kojima is very good at the low level moment to moment gameplay. It’s his high level, overview direction that sometimes hurts his games.

drganon

I'm going with DS. With the little I've played so far of mgs5, I enjoyed it alot more than tlou gameplay wise. With the exception of the story and characters, I found tlou to not be all that fun to actually play, but that's just me.

When I think emergent gameplay I think of Thief, Prey, Dishonoured, Bioshock. Players using the rules set by the game to innovate.

Nothing of TLOU 1, and what we have seen of TLOU2 indicates it will anything other that shooty bang bang, story and crafting. DS maybe, who knows how that game will play.

Senhua

Game directed by shit "It's not about fun" SJW movie wannabe director vs legendary director who arguable invented the stealth gameplay genre. LOL

50% of chance to buy DS at launch (depends on the price) vs "you must pay me to play this shit movie game" AKA "will watching it at NICO Video at lauch if I have free time"

mcz117chief

Kojima always makes fun games with great music and gameplay that always feels fresh. Naughty Dog just makes one game with different backgrounds. After playing Uncharted 1-3 and the first The Last of Us I feel completely burned out on the studio, the games are just too similar and the story isn't good enough to carry me alone. I'm sure Death Stranding will be amazingly fun game.

I think Death Stranding will be the more interesting game.

I have zero hype for TLoU because, the first game wasn’t very good. TLoU 2 looks to be more of the same tedious gameplay and eye rolling story, so no thanks.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Is too soon to say, but if you compare MGS V to LoU, Kojima wins gameplaywise. You can do so much shit with Snake. But that's just it

MikonJuice

Tlou do not have emergent gameplay. Maybe, MAYBE, if you consider sounds. So the experimentation comes from differente ways to make noise.

MGSV... there's lots of ways to attract opponents, kill bosses, make cars crash... so my vote is for Death Stranding.

Ogbert

TFW the thread has essentially boiled down to "which one do you like more?"

Nobody has a fucking clue what emergent gameplay is, apparently.

I don't think the OP recognises what emergent gameplay is.

TLOU will have zero emergent gameplay. It will be linear game design with locked in mechanics.

So DS wins by default, but we have no idea what mechanics the game has.

TLOU will have zero emergent gameplay. It will be linear game design with locked in mechanics.

Listen to Nostradamus here, apparently you just assume all the PR is lies about how much more open the game is and the decisions you can make? Bold claim, is ND known for lying about a game prior to release?

Javthusiast

Banned
I think the stealth, tension, enemy ai etc. will all be much better in tlou2.

MGSV's only good thing was the gameplay, but from watching DS it is clear it doesn't even have the mobility that venom had in that game.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Gameplay Will be both games weakest points but here Is prefer death stranding as it’s at least a bit more unique. We’ll see, seems I’ll just watch both on YouTube as they are also super linear.

Eiknarf

So the OP question should read:

“Which game do you think you’ll enjoy more?”

So let’s redo this thread. Start over.
And add Cyberpunk 2077

“Which will be the most fun?”
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Death Stranding”

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
too soon to say, gotta play both first

something like titanfall 2 qualifies as 'good', i recognize that's setting an impossible standard tho

(i think both games are gonna be great, wish we had more gameplay to go on)

I wouldn't say its an impossible standard, its just a very different sort of game than either TLOU or DS. The way environments are built and the way we as players interact and move around them is absolutely essential in defining what the experience actually is. I guess a good case in point is comparing the way the different Resident Evil games vary. As they amped up mobility and combat effectiveness the horror vibe faded away to nothing. Res Evil 6 has a lot of mechanics, a lot of detail and nuance that makes it a pretty fun multiplayer experience, but within the context of the campaign... not nearly so much.

I don't believe there are hard and fast rules, its more devs making choices that really fit the game experience they are trying to give the player. This type of mindset is very evident in what both Kojima and the various ND reps have said about their games, they are trying to craft specific experiences that hopefully the audience will buy into.

molasar

Banned
So the OP question should read:

“Which game do you think you’ll enjoy more?”

So let’s redo this thread. Start over.
And add Cyberpunk 2077

“Which will be the most fun?”
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Death Stranding”
Gameplay-wise - DS

Eiknarf

cormack12 cormack12 , are you gonna start a new post with rewording?
I think you should (before someone else does).

“Which upcoming hotly anticipated game do you THINK you’ll enjoy most? Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us 2 or Death Stranding?”

and add a poll

johntown

Banned
Zero interest in TLOU2. I enjoyed the first one but I don't care for the direction of the second game.

Death Stranding however seems like a unique game with much better and deeper gameplay.

Ogbert

Listen to Nostradamus here, apparently you just assume all the PR is lies about how much more open the game is and the decisions you can make? Bold claim, is ND known for lying about a game prior to release?

Being open doesn't mean it will have emergent gameplay.

The term, in itself, is slightly daft - what it really comes down is 'do the gameplay mechanics allow you to fundamentally manipulate the actual game world.'

TLOU will not have that. No Naughty Dog game has that - it's the opposite - absolutely beautiful, perfectly realised, linear worlds.

I'm not criticising it.

Last edited:

Shifty

Let ND put out some evidence to that effect then. All we've seen thus far is a shinier version of the gameplay from TLoU 1 plus dogs.

Let ND put out some evidence to that effect then. All we've seen thus far is a shinier version of the gameplay from TLoU 1 plus dogs.

The E3 demo totally showed a seemingly large sandbox for combat, actually. If you didn't see it from last year then ::shrugs:: what can I tell you, you're going in without all the information.

Shifty

The E3 demo totally showed a seemingly large sandbox for combat, actually. If you didn't see it from last year then ::shrugs:: what can I tell you, you're going in without all the information.
I saw the footage from last year, it didn't suggest to me that the game's structure would be a major departure from that of TLoU 1. It 'seeming' larger is meaningless until ND show off something that proves that's a gameplay thing and not just smarter art direction doing a better job of hiding area boundaries.

DS, on the other hand, demoed footage at the same E3 that showed the player running into a patrol they could have avoided, that then chased them down to tried to steal their cargo. That's the very definition of emergent gameplay.

So, based on the facts at hand, DS is going to crush TLoU2 in this category. And that's fine, it doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game.

Also as a sidenote, between this and the Doom: Eternal thread, that's twice you've assumed I didn't play or watch the material in question because my take wasn't as blindly positive as yours. You might want to cut that out- 'going in without all the information' is a bad habit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Death Stranding
I just gotta feeling it's not gonna be what people expect and will likely spawn a sequel.

I saw the footage from last year, it didn't suggest to me that the game's structure would be a major departure from that of TLoU 1. It 'seeming' larger is meaningless until ND show off something that proves that's a gameplay thing and not just smarter art direction doing a better job of hiding area boundaries.

DS, on the other hand, demoed footage at the same E3 that showed the player running into a patrol they could have avoided, that then chased them down to tried to steal their cargo. That's the very definition of emergent gameplay.

So, based on the facts at hand, DS is going to crush TLoU2 in this category. And that's fine, it doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game.

Also as a sidenote, between this and the Doom: Eternal thread, that's twice you've assumed I didn't play or watch the material in question because my take wasn't as blindly positive as yours. You might want to cut that out- 'going in without all the information' is a bad habit.

Twice I seem to be right as well. Your take on that footage is total bull, it wasn't smoke and mirrors and anyone who saw it unbiased could have ascertained that, if you want to earn the benefit of the doubt stop talking out your ass.

Shifty

Twice I seem to be right as well. Your take on that footage is total bull, it wasn't smoke and mirrors and anyone who saw it unbiased could have ascertained that, if you want to earn the benefit of the doubt stop talking out your ass.
well.gif

Full projection-tastic fanboy meltdown over being presented with a reasoned, logical argument.

How very embarrasing for you.

ethomaz

Banned
Hard to tell.

TLOU's MP bring the best on MP but sadly the sequel won't have one so maybe DS surprise us.

Silent Duck

Blockbuster Smackdown!
I’m probably gonna go with TLoU2. Kojima needs to explain himself after MGSV and the spreadsheet game within.

d5cdFmX.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm just glad that PS4 offers both experiences & caters to a wide variety of customers.

d9SEDWc.png

Notice how even in a shitposting meme like this, every single game except Cuphead is available on PS4. Even PS4 haters are unwittingly singing its praises. PS Cuatro, the ultimate gaming machine, going out strong.

Shifty

"reasoned, logical" lol give me a break, the video is clear as day....

I broke down my reasoning and gave you a logical explanation for my take. You meanwhile have been throwing a tantrum and projecting bias because someone dared express something other than unconditional love for your Next Favourite Game.

I've already watched that footage today for the sake of giving your point a fair shake. Doesn't look like it was worth the time though, since you're falling back on this pathetic stan behaviour. HUR DUR IT'S CLEAR AS DAY I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE IDEA OF PEOPLE HAVING DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. Yeah, no. Explain yourself or fuck off.

Though before you attempt that, how about you explain for the room what exactly you think emergent gameplay is? All this Last of Us flag-waving is making me think you don't actually have a clue what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom