• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Halo Infinite MP is Free-to-Play and will support 120FPS

INC

Gold Member
Sweet news for xbx fans

120fps really is a game changer (if you have the ability to view it)

As for f2p, all I think of is cheaters, hope thats not the case

Free to play will still have a lot of monetization things tacked on and at 120fps it's not going to look even as good as the single player. That's cool for people who want to play it though, I've only ever played halo for the campaign so it does nothing for me.

MS is going into the weekend locked and loaded with this news. Confirmation of no more paywall for F2P games will mean every Xbox comes packed in with a flagship title that can be forever played at no additional cost. Props to MS whether they require gold or not for this news. Triple props with cherries on top if Gold is not needed to play it.

When did they confirm that there is no more paywall for F2P games? PlayStation never had one for them btw so I hope MS has followed suit, they had to be shamed into taking Netflix from behind the paywall.

NickFire

When did they confirm that there is no more paywall for F2P games? PlayStation never had one for them btw so I hope MS has followed suit, they had to be shamed into taking Netflix from behind the paywall.
They haven't. That's why I said props to MS whether they do it or not. I'm thinking they will though. It would make this the biggest name in launch packins since NES has Mario.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This is completely massive and when Microsoft announces that the Xbox Live Gold online multi-player paywall is gone completely, it will be massively massive. Not just for Halo Infinite but for the 10m+ who play COD every year online as well as those who play GTA/RDR 2 online. Talk about a paradigm shift. This is it.

DavidGzz

Am I the only person who would want better graphics at 60?

Feels like this is Plan B for showing the power of the new console.

Yeah, I mean, it's already a current gen game similar to Dirt 5 so instead of making two separate games, they are pushing the frames with the extra power instead.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
120 frames of who cares if they cant come up with something original. After that last showing Im not getting my hopes up.
Halo MP will be great. Have you played Halo 5 MP? Top 3 of MP games this gen, worst case top 5.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think it's a smart move.
All the biggest MP games are F2P now and Halo isn't what it once was, it needs as many potential players as possible.

nikolino840

Waiting for people to tell me that I was wrong and that gamepass will not affect how games are made and make them more like F2P/GaaS.

Looking forward to see how it looks at 120fps, might make things interesting.
Is free 2 to play ..not need gamepass to play the MP

Entroyp

I think this is a very very smart move from MS. Thereā€™s a lot more monetization options from an F2P multiplayer like Fortnite than from a SP campaign.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
120 frames of who cares if they cant come up with something original. After that last showing Im not getting my hopes up.

Dont have a high refresh rate screen I take it?
Cuz MP at 120+fps is the only way to play.....Ill take a visual hit just to maintain frames because once you drop down to 60 and under its like you never even see the shots coming.

If you are here to complain about the campaign?
This thread is about Mutiplayer, the bitch about campaign thread is that way ->

Single player on gamepass, multi F2P. Again MS turning all their games into GaaS as predicted, in this case going even further an making it F2P.

You almost make it sound like GaaS is bad.
No real money lootboxes have already been confirmed, so if I keep getting content for a game I enjoy I fail to see the problem?

We are still getting a full campaign if thats what you were worried about?

Klayzer

Gold Member
Damm. Halo is going to make bucketloads of dough going F2P. Steam and Xbox is a huge audience for that model. I hope they dont use this model for the Forza series though. That possible Fortnite money is just to tempting for these publishers not to try it with their own ips.

I'll wait to see what is what.

Honestly I hate when companies do this (not the F2P thing). When you release information but don't provide the full necessary information to understand the partial.

And what has been so frustrating about the last few months is the silence Companies have had about their games that are set to release this fall. They had more eyes and ears on them than usual.

Halo Infinite will...

- Have its MP F2P.

- Also part of Gamepass

- Last Halo for some time, any further story will be added in.

So many questions. Frustrating.

DavidGzz

No real money lootboxes have already been confirmed, so if I keep getting content for a game I enjoy I fail to see the problem?

Yep, support for Fortnite would be dead and gone if it were not for the cosmetics. I also hope Diablo 4 is a GaaS game so that it will get more support than Diablo 3 did. You can try it and if it not for you, quit playing it. If you like it a lot, maybe you'll spend some money on it the way I spend money on Path of Exile. It supports the devs and ensures updates.

I'll wait to see what is what.

Honestly I hate when companies do this (not the F2P thing). When you release information but don't provide the full necessary information to understand the partial.

And what has been so frustrating about the last few months is the silence Companies have had about their games that are set to release this fall. They had more eyes and ears on them than usual.

Halo Infinite will...

- Have its MP F2P.

- Also part of Gamepass

- Last Halo for some time, any further story will be added in.

So many questions. Frustrating.

They were planning to reveal this later next month. It leaked by a reputable source so they are just confirming it. They will give the details in their event next month.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned

GaaS is mostly terrible, very few good games came out of it.

F2P multiplayer games on PC are always destroyed by hackers as well, no good.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So they basically think they will make more with F2P games than with Xbox Live Gold. So get rid of gold and try to get more people playing F2P games and contributing to the bottom line that way. Not sure it will work (I don't think Halo is the kind of draw they think it is) but what do they have to lose at this point.

Wizz-Art

GaaS is mostly terrible, very few good games came out of it.

You get what you pay for.

The Xbox games that went Gaas were all very good and don't have pay2win MTX. Fact!

So I get what I pay for? I pay 10 bucks a month to have acces to an awfully big amount of games and a hefty amount of pretty good ones by that.

What will 10 Bucks get me on PS?

Yep, support for Fortnite would be dead and gone if it were not for the cosmetics. I also hope Diablo 4 is a GaaS game so that it will get more support than Diablo 3 did. You can try it and if it not for you, quit playing it. If you like it a lot, maybe you'll spend some money on it the way I spend money on Path of Exile. It supports the devs and ensures updates.

They were planning to reveal this later next month. It leaked by a reputable source so they are just confirming it. They will give the details in their event next month.
No. They said all the things about future story DLC (assuming thatā€™s what they meant... see lol) on their own.

And I donā€™t think people know for sure they meant ā€œstory DLCā€. Is it just additional missions? Pre story missions?

I understand that we will eventually find out. But it sucks that assumptions will be made and expectations will be set by the Halo Community.

It would be nice to know what they mean when they communicate with us is all.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What happens if the only thing it happens is that they apply the same standards as on PlayStation? Move on to the next silver bullet?
p9oNHAk.jpg

Last edited:

Goncas2

120fps: Cool, XSX power finally being put into good use.
Free to Play: Not so cool. Welcome hackers and egregious mtx for weapon skins.

Freeman

Banned
The Xbox games that went Gaas were all very good and don't have pay2win MTX. Fact!

So I get what I pay for? I pay 10 bucks a month to have acces to an awfully big amount of games and a hefty amount of pretty good ones by that.

What will 10 Bucks get me on PS?
Better games.

DavidGzz

120fps: Cool, XSX power finally being put into good use.
Free to Play: Not so cool. Welcome hackers and egregious mtx for weapon skins.

I don't play it but hackers are rampant on Fortnite, Valorant, etc? You'd figure they would put the smack down seeing as that would cost them a lot of money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom