• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NFL Week 13 Thread - RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
shantyman said:
That sure looked like a TD by Henry to me.

Thought touchdown on the initial call, after the replays I think it was right.

So far, the tally is:

First Parker fumble: Correctly overturned

"Third" Parker fumble: Arguable, probably should have been a fumble.

"Fourth" Parker fumble: Right call, fumble.

Safety: Um...what the hell? Where was this hold?

Endzone Catch: Close, but no TD.

Big-E said:
That was no td. His right foot was down before he had possession of the ball.

That's my take. But it was close enough to challenge. What was Marvin waiting for? Did he think it was only the 3rd quarter or something?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Futureman said:
Yea, that's what it looked like on the replay. Don't worry, Willie will fumble or Ben will gift wrap one.

Too bad Carson can't throw accurate passes and when he does the WRs can't catch them.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Spectral Glider said:
That's my take. But it was close enough to challenge. What was Marvin waiting for? Did he think it was only the 3rd quarter or something?

Marvin is not, how shall we say, a very good game manager.

firex

dexter jackson is horrible. he's one of those guys I want them to cut/trade in the offseason. same with the other safety.

Wow, in my FF league, #3 seed hinges on whether TJ can get 19 passing yards or a TD in the remainder of this game. Winner of this situation makes the playoffs, loser misses.

Anybody else with crazy last second FF playoff qualifier situations right now?

woodchuck

looking at the highlights of browns/cardinals, i don't know how they can't call that a force out. the force-out rules are messed up.

same thing happened to TO against the Pats and the Bears

Big-E

woodchuck said:
looking at the highlights of browns/cardinals, i don't know how they can't call that a force out. the force-out rules are messed up.

Every single rule involving passing in the game is screwed up.

firex

not to try and trash talk the Steelers, but they looked almost as bad as the bengals tonight. I mean they're the better team, but neither team looked like they could put a complete game together.

I don't think either Tomlin or Lewis are the real answer as head coach anymore... I was willing to give Marvin a break since he's at least not had a losing season as head coach, but sometimes I think he's lost this team. tonight was the first night since his first season as the starter that I thought Palmer looked bad, but I was on the road for that awful Cardinals game. still, while ESPN will say he's regressed, I'd still say he's one of the best QBs in the NFL.

not to complain about the refs, either, but they gave the Steelers a lot of good calls, and seemed to look the other way on some holding on receivers. I know the field was bad, but I know the bengal receivers well enough to know that a lot of those passes that were way off the mark were only off the mark because something was wrong that wasn't Palmer/the receivers' fault.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
woodchuck said:

I understand it. He might not have come down inbounds without the push. The way he was falling, it was reasonable to think that he was on his way out no matter what. Sure, we can disagree after seeing the replays, but the live call could go either way and unless you want to break out some serious trig, you can't be sure.

The fact that he was pushed out of bounds alone doesn't mean it should be called complete, it is only a completed pass if he was clearly on the way to landing inbounds without the defender. That wasn't the case here.

Big-E

Archaix said:
I understand it. He might not have come down inbounds without the push. The way he was falling, it was reasonable to think that he was on his way out no matter what. Sure, we can disagree after seeing the replays, but the live call could go either way and unless you want to break out some serious trig, you can't be sure.

The fact that he was pushed out of bounds alone doesn't mean it should be called complete, it is only a completed pass if he was clearly on the way to landing inbounds without the defender. That wasn't the case here.

I agree. Seeing it on the replay, I can see why there was doubt. That doesn't change the fact that it should be a reviewable call though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
firex said:
not to try and trash talk the Steelers, but they looked almost as bad as the bengals tonight. I mean they're the better team, but neither team looked like they could put a complete game together.

I don't think either Tomlin or Lewis are the real answer as head coach anymore... I was willing to give Marvin a break since he's at least not had a losing season as head coach, but sometimes I think he's lost this team. tonight was the first night since his first season as the starter that I thought Palmer looked bad, but I was on the road for that awful Cardinals game. still, while ESPN will say he's regressed, I'd still say he's one of the best QBs in the NFL.

not to complain about the refs, either, but they gave the Steelers a lot of good calls, and seemed to look the other way on some holding on receivers. I know the field was bad, but I know the bengal receivers well enough to know that a lot of those passes that were way off the mark were only off the mark because something was wrong that wasn't Palmer/the receivers' fault.

Tomlin is fine at coach (and this is coming from someone who hated Cowher). Our team has sucked the past 3 weeks, but that's okay, I'll take the 2 wins. You criticize Palmer, yet you forget that the Steelers have the top ranked passing defense in the NFL. We make most opposing QB's look pretty bad. Anyways, I can't wait to play the Pats.

woodchuck said:

I hate the force out rule. To me, if you knock the player out of bounds while trying to make a catch, that's good defense. That's what they pay you for, prevent the catch. I never really understood the argument for it. But, given the rule exists, then that seemed like a clear force out to me.

Big-E

woodchuck said:
the call was very close, and could have gone either way.

but i think it should be reviewable.

Yes, but for whatever reason they won't touch judgment calls. I hate the fact you can't challenge down by contact either.

woodchuck

Big-E said:
Yes, but for whatever reason they won't touch judgment calls. I hate the fact you can't challenge down by contact either.

i thought you can review down by contact. i could have sworn i've seen that challenged before.

woodchuck said:
the call was very close, and could have gone either way.

but i think it should be reviewable.

The league is so anal about certain things and most times there's never a good reason why. Considering a force out is not a penalty, I don't see why it shouldn't be reviewable either.

Big-E

woodchuck said:
i thought you can review down by contact. i could have sworn i've seen that challenged before.

If a ref calls a person down on the field thats it, its done with. If you think a person may have been down and it wasn't called, you can challenge that. If the whistle blows for down by contact thats it. Same with forward progress I believe.

Nameless

suicide-booth.jpg

Go Niners?

woodchuck

Big-E said:
If a ref calls a person down on the field thats it, its done with. If you think a person may have been down and it wasn't called, you can challenge that. If the whistle blows for down by contact thats it. Same with forward progress I believe.

oh right.

you can only challenge when a player is not down, but you think he was down.

i guess there'd be no point though. i mean, if the whistle blows, the play is over. even if the player wasn't down, how are they going to judge what happens after the whistle?

firex

commish said:
Tomlin is fine at coach (and this is coming from someone who hated Cowher). Our team has sucked the past 3 weeks, but that's okay, I'll take the 2 wins. You criticize Palmer, yet you forget that the Steelers have the top ranked passing defense in the NFL. We make most opposing QB's look pretty bad. Anyways, I can't wait to play the Pats.
it doesn't matter how good your pass D is, Palmer should tear up any defense in the league. normally he does. something was just off tonight, plus I still think the Steeler DBs got away with a lot of holding (at least if they're going to give leon hall that phantom hold on the safety, then the Steelers were doing a lot more holding on every play). the offensive playcalling on the whole by the bengals was terrible, though. They ran Rudi way too much.

I also can't wait for your team to play the Pats, because they are going to lose in a completely demoralizing manner. that offense has been so inconsistent in the Steeler games I've seen that they will lose in a relatively close one, but it'll still be a beatdown. I would not count that team as an elite team in the NFL... I think anybody with a legit pass rush could stop them. tonight was the first night I saw the Steeler oline actually play well, but then the rest of the offense played pretty poorly and they got bailed out by hines ward.

edit: speaking of reviews/challenges, I would literally have anything reviewable if it's a close call and not a penalty. It might open it up to review, but there aren't that many very close plays late in a game, and otherwise the review/replay rules are fine.

harSon

Banned
firex said:

First I'd like to point out that your ranting screams bitter tears.

Second of all, I'd like to say WHAT THE FUCK? How in the hell do you base a coach of an incomplete season? A season in which he is 9-3 and those losses being by a grand total of 13 points. How about you wait until the season is over before screaming bust? In case you didn't know, coaches are typically not 'tested' until they have built a team from the ground up. Something that is sure as hell not testable in one incomplete (Winning) season. How about you give credit when credit is due? The Steelers are after all number 1 in nearly every defensive category for a reason.

Take off the blinders buddy.

harSon said:

Second of all, I'd like to say WHAT THE FUCK? How in the hell do you base a coach of an incomplete season? A season in which he is 9-3 and those losses being by a grand total of 13 points. How about you wait until the season is over before screaming bust? In case you didn't know, coaches are typically not 'tested' until they have built a team from the ground up. Something that is sure as hell not testable in one incomplete (Winning) season. How about you give credit when credit is due? The Steelers are after all number 1 in nearly every defensive category for a reason.

go back to week 11 or 10, the explanation for why the steelers are the most overrated team in football is there. Steelers aren't as good as their record but i don't know if it's tomlin's fault, and it is his first year. shit, dolphins are 0-12 and idk what i think of cameron yet.

harSon

Banned
TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
go back to week 11 or 10, the explanation for why the steelers are the most overrated team in football is there. Steelers aren't as good as their record but i don't know if it's tomlin's fault, and it is his first year. shit, dolphins are 0-12 and idk what i think of cameron yet.

Inconsistent? Yes. But the most overrated team in the league? Not by a long shot. They have had the talent the entire year to contend with the best, and still do. How exactly are they overrated? As it stands now they rank 6-7 on the majority of people power rankings. May I ask which teams that are not already believed to be superior by most (Patriots, Colts, Dallas, Greenbay) are better?

firex

harSon said:

Second of all, I'd like to say WHAT THE FUCK? How in the hell do you base a coach of an incomplete season? A season in which he is 9-3 and those losses being by a grand total of 13 points. How about you wait until the season is over before screaming bust? In case you didn't know, coaches are typically not 'tested' until they have built a team from the ground up. Something that is sure as hell not testable in one incomplete (Winning) season. How about you give credit when credit is due, the Steelers are after all number 1 in nearly every defensive category for a reason.

I'm sorry the facts have bruised your pathetic little ego, but your team has played a very cupcake schedule and has still barely beaten a lot of the teams they've won against, or had very ugly wins like tonight's. I'm probably just responding to another retard bandwagon Steeler fan who probably hopped on after that incomprehensible 15-1 season they had back in 04 like Diablos, but here goes: Record is not that important when your team hasn't been tested pretty much all year, and has lost some games they really should've won. I can't call the miami game bad play on their part, with that shitty field they had, since nobody can consider that a real football game. But the jets, cardinals and broncos games were all games where your team really, really should have won and their flaws caught up to them.

All I'm saying is your team really isn't in the league of the Pats/Colts (colts is slightly arguable, but only due to the colts' injuries - they have played WAY tougher teams and done a lot better, and if all their guys get healthy for the playoffs, they will dominate again) and I don't think they will go far into the playoffs, especially if they draw a good pass rushing team in the wild card round. The only blowouts the steelers have had are against the Browns in week 1 (when they've had a huge turnaround after getting rid of Frye, who took your team down to the wire later in the season) and the Ravens, who as we all know are an atrocious offensive team that gets blown out by nearly anybody.

Look, I understand that you haven't been around to read the NFL threads all season, so you think I'm just some bengals homer, but I knew they were going to lose tonight, and aside from this being a divisional game, I didn't mind if they lost since it means moving further up in the draft. I know my team is going nowhere, so this isn't crying. It's just that the steelers are the shakiest 9-3 team in the NFL that I've seen. They should finish 11-5 or 12-4 at the best, but again, they have some serious flaws and I don't think they'll go far into the playoffs unless whoever they draw has a completely inept offense the entire game. At this point the colts have to collapse for them to be the #2 seed, and I have a hard time believing that'll happen.

as for why I say Tomlin doesn't seem like he's the guy... he has a great record so far, but it's pretty obvious he's very hands-off with the defense, and the offense is mediocre as hell. I assume he's not just sitting around, and he brought in Arians as the offensive coordinator, so he's already got a big flaw to me, looking at how inconsistent/sloppy the Steeler offense looks a lot of the time. some of that has to come from the coach. And a good record for a coach is nothing without some championships. I don't know if this coaching staff, the way it is, can come close in the playoffs. who knows, maybe he'll actually gameplan well against JAX, and maybe he'll get the team to play better on the road, but until then I have question marks about him. I definitely don't think he's as good as Cowher was, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

lastly, I hope the pats just bitchslap you guys all over the field next week to shut up the rose-tinted fans like yourself who think there's nothing wrong with your team. at least the actual regular steeler fans in these topics - satan worshipping, america hating, baby killing fiends that they are - acknowledge that their team has flaws that will keep them from being a championship team. And that's what it should be all about for you guys... not "oh look, we got to the divisional round of the playoffs and got our asses beaten," but getting the Lombardi trophy. And I don't think that's going to happen this year unless it's a total longshot.

woodchuck

harSon said:
Inconsistent? Yes. But the most overrated team in the league? Not by a long shot. They have had the talent the entire year to contend with the best, and still do. How exactly are they overrated? As it stands now they rank 6-7 on the majority of people power rankings. May I ask which teams that are not already believed to be superior by most (Patriots, Colts, Dallas, Greenbay) are better?

the jags. i guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks

harSon said:

look at the best teams they've beaten, look at the teams they've lost too. But people think they have the best shot to defeat the pats. And how do you know they've had the talent to "contend with the best of them" when the best team they've beaten is the browns.

I'll put Jaxonville and the Giants over them (when eli shows up). Imo they're on the seahawks / Chargers level, and I'd pick both of those teams over pitt if they played.

firex

oh, I forgot the steelers also blew out the bills. my bad. still, they haven't played anybody very good... and haven't looked that good against some of the bottom 1/3 of the league teams like the bengals, jets and broncos. I know they swept the bengals, but they really should've been able to cash in like 40+ on them in both games.

firex said:
oh, I forgot the steelers also blew out the bills. my bad. still, they haven't played anybody very good... and haven't looked that good against some of the bottom 1/3 of the league teams like the bengals, jets and broncos. I know they swept the bengals, but they really should've been able to cash in like 40+ on them in both games.

you forgot the dolphins :lol , but i'll give you that the field / weather was a huge factor.

harSon

Banned
firex said:
I'm sorry the facts have bruised your pathetic little ego, but your team has played a very cupcake schedule and has still barely beaten a lot of the teams they've won against, or had very ugly wins like tonight's. I'm probably just responding to another retard bandwagon Steeler fan who probably hopped on after that incomprehensible 15-1 season they had back in 04 like Diablos, but here goes: Record is not that important when your team hasn't been tested pretty much all year, and has lost some games they really should've won. I can't call the miami game bad play on their part, with that shitty field they had, since nobody can consider that a real football game. But the jets, cardinals and broncos games were all games where your team really, really should have won and their flaws caught up to them.

All I'm saying is your team really isn't in the league of the Pats/Colts (colts is slightly arguable, but only due to the colts' injuries - they have played WAY tougher teams and done a lot better, and if all their guys get healthy for the playoffs, they will dominate again) and I don't think they will go far into the playoffs, especially if they draw a good pass rushing team in the wild card round. The only blowouts the steelers have had are against the Browns in week 1 (when they've had a huge turnaround after getting rid of Frye, who took your team down to the wire later in the season) and the Ravens, who as we all know are an atrocious offensive team that gets blown out by nearly anybody.

Look, I understand that you haven't been around to read the NFL threads all season, so you think I'm just some bengals homer, but I knew they were going to lose tonight, and aside from this being a divisional game, I didn't mind if they lost since it means moving further up in the draft. I know my team is going nowhere, so this isn't crying. It's just that the steelers are the shakiest 9-3 team in the NFL that I've seen. They should finish 11-5 or 12-4 at the best, but again, they have some serious flaws and I don't think they'll go far into the playoffs unless whoever they draw has a completely inept offense the entire game. At this point the colts have to collapse for them to be the #2 seed, and I have a hard time believing that'll happen.

as for why I say Tomlin doesn't seem like he's the guy... he has a great record so far, but it's pretty obvious he's very hands-off with the defense, and the offense is mediocre as hell. I assume he's not just sitting around, and he brought in Arians as the offensive coordinator, so he's already got a big flaw to me, looking at how inconsistent/sloppy the Steeler offense looks a lot of the time. some of that has to come from the coach. And a good record for a coach is nothing without some championships. I don't know if this coaching staff, the way it is, can come close in the playoffs. who knows, maybe he'll actually gameplan well against JAX, and maybe he'll get the team to play better on the road, but until then I have question marks about him. I definitely don't think he's as good as Cowher was, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

lastly, I hope the pats just bitchslap you guys all over the field next week to shut up the rose-tinted fans like yourself who think there's nothing wrong with your team. at least the actual regular steeler fans in these topics - satan worshipping, america hating, baby killing fiends that they are - acknowledge that their team has flaws that will keep them from being a championship team. And that's what it should be all about for you guys... not "oh look, we got to the divisional round of the playoffs and got our asses beaten," but getting the Lombardi trophy. And I don't think that's going to happen this year unless it's a total longshot.

Was born and raised in Pittsburgh buddy, if you'd like I'll take a picture of my room. I'll even dig out my Steeler jerseys starting from my first (Birth) to now (19 years old). I have had a new Steeler jersey every single year starting with my first, Mike Merriweather.

I never said that the Steelers were perfect, FAR from it. The Steelers defense however is very good which is what I was saying. As for the rest of your bitter teared rant, I think I'll pass.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
look at the best teams they've beaten, look at the teams they've lost too. But people think they have the best shot to defeat the pats. And how do you know they've had the talent to "contend with the best of them" when the best team they've beaten is the browns.

I'll put Jaxonville and the Giants over them (when eli shows up). Imo they're on the seahawks / Chargers level, and I'd pick both of those teams over pitt if they played.

Thats funny, I seem to recall a score of 21-0 against the seahawks.

harSon said:
Was born and raised in Pittsburgh buddy, if you'd like I'll take a picture of my room. I'll even dig out my Steeler jerseys starting from my first (Birth) to now (19 years old). I have had a new Steeler jersey every single year starting with my first, Mike Merriweather.

I never said that the Steelers were perfect, FAR from it. The Steelers defense however is very good which is what I was saying. As for the rest of your bitter teared rant, I think I'll pass.

so your counter argument is the steelers aren't perfect, they have a good defense, and don't question my fanhood.

persuasive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom