• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
8 Minutes.

omg.jpg

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
Oh, I thought this months had been leaked or something.

If it is under 100k, wow.
that's what they were trending to. The early price drop announcement could have slowed sales further.

It wont be under 100k, they did have a couple of days of the $399 price tag and the 80 gig had $100 knocked off for a week as well, I think he just meant at old faithful ie in last place (excluding GBA!)

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Is NPD really that important for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo ?

Yes, because it tells them how they did at retail (they only know shipped figures otherwise) and because publishers and devs look at them when making platform decisions

GhaleonEB said:
that's what they were trending to. The early price drop announcement could have slowed sales further.
While it may have caused some people on the fence to choose the PS3, I think the early announcement was more damaging than beneficial.

GhaleonEB said:

That makes sense, but would the average consumer have known about the price drop? Do stores in America advertise an upcoming price reduction on electronics in general?

I know this will be asked a gazillion times, but when can we expect numbers? If it's been mentioned somewhere, just redirect me to there please thanks.

Tideas said:
I'm going to say routine for the month of October, and Wow for November
Isn't Wow for November routine?
mood said:
PS3 under 100k? Hard to interpret "back to old faithful"
I agree that's hard to interpret, but under 100K just doesn't seem possible if the Sony PR was accurate.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GhaleonEB said:
That's how I interpret it. Hmmm.

If that's true than HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY shit. Means that the 75k it got at the LAST week and STILL didn't break 100k would mean it was doing frightening the weeks before.

It'll be a bit hard to believe if true, but man. :lol

Grecco

Opus Angelorum said:
That makes sense, but would the average consumer have known about the price drop? Do stores in America advertise an upcoming price reduction on electronics in general?

It was pretty clear on the interwebs.

Eric WK

Souldriver said:
I know this will be asked a gazillion times, but when can we expect numbers? If it's been mentioned somewhere, just redirect me to there please thanks.

In four minutes.

Oh and I don't think there's any way PS3 is under 100k.

MightyHedgehog said:
While it may have caused some people on the fence to choose the PS3, I think the early announcement was more damaging than beneficial.

It probably would have been damaging to 360 sales as well, people may have thought well if I wait a month I can get a PS3 with a blu ray drive for only $50 more than the 360

Souldriver said:
The first post:
NPD Release: November 15th @ 4:00 p.m. EST (thread posted around 6:30 p.m. EST)
So it could be any time now.

Loudninja

Oblivion said:
If that's true than HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY shit. Means that the 75k it got at the LAST week and STILL didn't break 100k would mean it was doing frightening the weeks before.

It'll be a bit hard to believe if true, but man. :lol

Like I already said, Sony said those numbers will not be there

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
Dunno. I think the folks buying a $500 system probably do more research than buying less expensive systems; at least, I tend to do more research the costlier the purchase. And the price drop was pretty widely reported.

We'll know in three minutes. :p

Lightning

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Matt is gloating, Sony had that pre-emptive PR, Sony did bad this NPD
Sony doing bad is what we expect. No 40GB to Nov2 and Sony never informed anyone of the 80GB price drop so that went unnoticed before word of mouth took over that it happened.

Loudninja said:
Like I already said, Sony said those numbers will not be there

Well there should be at least a couple of days of sales at the $399 price, all the pre orders for the month and at least some of the pent up demand will be included

Guy Legend

Lightning said:
Sony doing bad is what we expect. No 40GB to Nov2 and Sony never informed anyone of the 80GB price drop so that went unnoticed before word of mouth took over that it happened.

Indeed, it was about two weeks before the 80gb price cut made it into the Sunday papers. Only those people who actively keep up with prices would have known.

Had my shower, took my contact lenses out, got me mug of ovaltine. All I need now is a stack of numbers and some amusing gifs.

Let the good times roll. *thumbsup.gif*

Top Bottom