• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners- What did you pick and why?

Soltype

Was about to pick up a A95K, until I saw it doesn't do VRR and Dolby Vision, I was looking at the G2 and that set has its own problems, on top of that Dolby Vision apparently adds lag on some sets.I'm having a hard time deciding which TV to get now, because they all have some weird deficiency.What did you guys buy and why?

The only OLED sets capable of Dolby Vision gaming are LG sets as far as I know.

With that said, Dolby Vision gaming is kind of pointless right now any way. I have an LG C2 and I opt for standard HDR-10 over DV on my Series X.

Sony kd 55af9 here

Got it for less than half price, as the dude started dismantling the box to put it on display

Wanted the 65” and was waiting for hdmi 2.1 and for all the new Moderness 😁

But the price, it would have been criminal to ignore and I was going to buy an oled anyways

Love this tv 😎

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lg c1 48"
It is perfect size for my desk space and was perfect price last year. This year lg c2 is too expensive.
That and it got all hdmi 2.1 ports, gaming features, updates and fantastic sound quality very surprisingly if you disable game audio crap.
dNTsv9a.jpeg

GHG

Dolby vision for gaming is a dud, ignore it and get the best OLED panel you can for your use case within your budget.

My sets are as follows:

Living room - Philips OLED 805 65"
Spare room hooked up to PC - LG CX 55"

The Philips is primarily for movie/TV watching with the Mrs (I also game on it, the PS5 and a gaming laptop are also connected to it) and it was between that and a Panasonic HZ1000 at the time and went for the Philips because we love the built in ambilight (honestly unless I'm going for 80 inch or above next time I don't think I'll want to do without it, in a dark room setting it's sensational) and on balance it offered the best features at the time (dolby vision, dolby atmos pass-through, android TV) . The image processing for both HDR and SDR content is incredible, its better than anything I've seen on LG panels.

The CX was actually purchased this year because I wanted to replace my old Q70r that I was using with my PC at the time. Was going to get a 48" C1 but the store I went to had 55 inch CX's for the same price at the time, saw them side by side and went for the larger CX. It's been sensational for gaming and if you're buying an OLED only for gaming then it's hard to look past LG. Doesn't get as bright as the Philips and it's nowhere near as good in non-gaming content but I only use it for games 99% of the time so it's been perfect for that.

The only OLED sets capable of Dolby Vision gaming are LG sets as far as I know.

With that said, Dolby Vision gaming is kind of pointless right now any way. I have an LG C2 and I opt for standard HDR-10 over DV on my Series X.

Philips and Panasonic sets also have it.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I have an LG OLED CX 55”. Best part of the OLEDs is the Response Time being better than any gaming monitor and Input Lag is comparable with top gaming monitors.

Picture quality obviously is amazing and it will make you never even look at LED IPS, TN or VA panels again.

I’m actually debating getting another one, smaller size preferably 42” however I don’t know if I should snag one on Black Friday or wait for the newer models early next year.

Not sure how good next years models will be so it’s tough to know.

Reallink

The QD OLEDs are certainly the superior technology, but current models are critically hampered by Sony's shitty Mediatek processors and Samsung's lack of image accuracy and Dolby Vision. Leaving a cheap deeply discounted C1 or C2 as the only sensible and viable option for the time being. The G2s are comically inflated profit monsters for LG and don't even come close to justifying $1000+ price premiums in the larger sizes.

Last edited:
I love my A90J and will either get the A95K or nexts year’s top end qd-OLED once I get a bigger place early next year.

A95K supports cinema Dolby vision and VRR, and it’s probably your best bet if budget isn’t a concern. DV gaming is more marketing than utility, and if you split time between movies and games you’re going to appreciate Sony’s processing and the new QD-OLED panel.

My recommendation would be to wait until the new TVs are announced in January to see what’s coming next spring. Second gen QD OLED with bigger size options, new chipsets, and likely lower prices/tiers for current top end sets.

G-Bus

Banned
Got a C1.

Saw people raving about them here. A lot of positive reviews online and sounded like it was a pretty top of the line unit with all that HDMI 2.1 stuff.

My previous tv was a good 10+ years old. These aren't things I'll go out and buy every few years so might as well get one with all the fancy stuff to last a while.

Esca

I went with an LG C1 about 5 years ago almost. It blew away everything visually. Easiest bigger purchase I've ever made. Still look at the picture and colors and feel good about the purchase to this day still

Batiman

Banned
LGC1. Love it.

But if i were to be buying again now I'd go for the new QD OLED by Samsung. Shit is a game changer apparently.
I’m in the market for a new TV as well and will probably get the C1. Never buying Samsung again. Horribly build quality issues I have with them. This is my third Samsung in a row and all three have given me problems. Yes I know it’s my fault for going back. Never again. I don’t care how great the tv looks. Issues will come

Traxtech

Currently rocking a G1 77, only way I'll upgrade is if the next Samsung QD OLED is 77 inch and they fix the issues. Gaming motion plus is a game changer if you play a lot of 30 fps stuff and I only wish Sony and LG had their own type of it.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
After a lot of confusion between Sonly A95K and LG G2 (Samsung S95B is not available in my country), I went with the G2. One reason being the HUGE difference in price and minor difference in picture quality (I checked them out side-by-side and A95K was a little better but nothing to bother about). Also the G2 has 4 ports with full HDMI 2.1 while Sonly has only 2. And in my testing the A95K had strangely laggy interface. The G2 also seems brighter on first glance and white highlights are indeed brighter. So those things sealed the deal for me.

That said, A95K does have better colors (by a small margin) and better color brightness. It also comes with a stand if you want to keep it on a table. Also has much better audio.

So yeah, G2 it was for me at the end.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I got an open box 55" Samsung S95B for $900 from Best Buy and it's been amazing

edit: though now I need to get the new Apple TV 4K 3rd gen since that one added HDR10+ support since this TV doesn't have Dolby Vision

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so my best friend had an OLED tv it burned in so bad it killed his dog and burned down his house
do not buy oled tv's

PROOF !

Last edited:
I had an LG B6 for years, and I just upgraded to Samsung's S95B. It looks phenomenal and is great for gaming. The screen is much cleaner and has less flaws than any LG OLED I've ever used; I really noticed the lines that appear in gray scenes, and some small issues with near black content in motion. The S95 lacks Dolby Vision and still features some black crush. The build quality is poor and the software and remote are atrocious.

My next panel will likely be QDOLED, and hopefully someone other than Samsung will be making a TV that has all of the features I care about for gaming and movies. Weighing the options available, I'd recommend the C2 to others, but I'm personally going with QDOLED.

OLED kicks ass, though. Everything looks so damn good on it.

Last edited:

Soltype

so my best friend had an OLED tv it burned in so bad it killed his dog and burned down his house
do not buy oled tv's

PROOF !
Yeah that's one thing I've always been scared of with OLED, I got the 5-year warranty with burn in coverage

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
LG CX 65". Didn't investigate a lot before getting it, but a friend had it and after seeing it I knew I wanted it.

Robb

Gold Member
Bought an LG C8 a couple of years back, fantastic TV tbh. Will likely get an LG next time I buy a TV as well.

Can’t remember all the reason behind the purchase, but I’m fairly sure LG’s displays are pretty great for gaming in general.

Just bought a 48” lg oled c2 evo today, haven’t actually watched anything on it yet just finished setting it up before I left. Hope it proves worth the price - I was using a 43” TCL 4k uhd smart tv before

Stick with LG for gaming as they update their televisions more regularly than other manufacturers for bug fixes etc. If I didn't game though I'd 100% buy Panasonic as they have the best image quality imo.

Robb

Gold Member
Has anybody had any real issue with burn in on their OLEDs
Not at all and we use the TV a lot and tend to fall asleep in front of it from time to time.

Although we do use the timer so that it turns itself off after a while.

Has anybody had any real issue with burn in on their OLEDs
I've an LG Oled 65C8PLA. I watch a variety of content TV, films and gaming and I have never had screen retention let alone burn in, in four years of heavy use. I have screen shift on and logo luminance adjustment set to high. I leave pixel refresher alone to do it's on thing.

I only have the oled light set to 30 in the picture settings for standard television viewing, except when watching various HDR formats including gaming so that'll help with reducing the risk of screen burn. Also set up the screen saver to kick in after a few seconds if you leave the TV on a static image.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Lg c1 48"
It is perfect size for my desk space and was perfect price last year. This year lg c2 is too expensive.
That and it got all hdmi 2.1 ports, gaming features, updates and fantastic sound quality very surprisingly if you disable game audio crap.
How much did you pay for it?

Filben

LGBX9 with 55 inch.

120Hz, VRR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, great image quality, so everything I always wanted from a TV and display (wish I would have that under 40 inch for a PC monitor) and affordable at the time I've bought it (roughly 1,5years ago for 1100 EUR).

Top Bottom