• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners- What did you pick and why?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lg oled c series. I went from a c8 to a c1, earlier this year, both 65”. Awesome tv’s, but the gaming specific features found in the c1 and upward made me want to upgrade

Last edited:

iHaunter

I had an LGC1 but ended up returning it because they didn't know how to balance the whites. Have the Sony A95K on order. Going to see how it is.

Yeah got the street fighter clock and life bar burned in. LG B7

how much did you play?

2017 LG E7 + Rocket League

Series 7 sets were really the last sets where OLED burn in was something that could still happen from reasonable use.

Series 8 and newer sets have significantly better burn-in prevention due to changes made to the red sub pixel size/behavior which has shown to significantly decrease burn-in chance in regular use. That and the burn-in prevention technology itself is more effective and advanced. And lastly, the newest sets have EVO panels w/heat sinks that eliminate the risk of burn-in even further.

Realistically, for any modern OLED display, burn-in is a virtual non-issue.

bender

What time is it?
Series 7 sets were really the last sets where OLED burn in was something that could still happen from reasonable use.

I have a C1 now but back when I bought a E7, it wasn't supposed to be an issue either. Color me skeptical but my first experience with OLED wasn't great.

I have a C1 now but back when I bought a E7, it wasn't supposed to be an issue either. Color me skeptical but my first experience with OLED wasn't great.
LG OLEDs have been widely available for a decade now. There are millions upon millions of OLED sets out in the wild. If burn-in was going to be a massive, widespread issue, we would known by now.

Soltype

Series 8 and newer sets have significantly better burn-in prevention due to changes made to the red sub pixel size/behavior which has shown to significantly decrease burn-in chance in regular use. That and the burn-in prevention technology itself is more effective and advanced. And lastly, the newest sets have EVO panels w/heat sinks that eliminate the risk of burn-in even further.

Realistically, for any modern OLED display, burn-in is a virtual non-issue.
So if I wanted to use a smaller LG for a monitor it's perfectly fine?

bender

What time is it?
LG OLEDs have been widely available for a decade now. There are millions upon millions of OLED sets out in the wild. If burn-in was going to be a massive, widespread issue, we would known by now.

And older sets during the past decade have had burn in issues. "burn-in is a virtual non-issue" is the same rhetoric I saw posted often when i decided to upgrade back in 2017. I have first hand experience with the issues so your words are hollow compared to my experience and because of that experience I'll believe the C1 doesn't have issues after a few years of usage.

damidu

C1. it had pretty good deals, might be my best electronics purchase in a long while (new consoles included)

Hoddi

I'm of two minds. I have a 65" LG B8 in my living room and it's pretty damn great overall. But it's also kinda shit for gaming and especially at 30fps.

I ended up moving all my consoles back to my older Panny plasma that I kept in my home office. I don't mind playing games at 30fps on the plasma but it's pretty awful on the OLED . If you're coming from an LCD then its pretty much a no-brained though.

Outlier

I went to a BestBuy on Thursday to buy a Bravia 48' 90K.
Everyone seemed busy and no one asked if I needed help for 15 minutes.
I took it as a sign to NOT buy it and see what Black Friday/ Tech Monday (or whatever) offers.

I really want to experience what it's all about.

55" Sony A90J.
Supports VRR and 120hz as well.
Amazing tv.

Originally wanted to buy the 65" X90K LED tv, but due to issues around the world, there was no ETA, so I got impatient and bought the A90J instead.

Best choice.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
LG OLED65CX6LA (2020) for lounge area of my office (a "little" living room)

+

LG OLED42C24LA (2022) for my desk (combined with some DELL monitors in vertical orientation for coding)

When I think "TV" I think "LG". I don't even consider anything else.

CX and C1 because they were the best tvs available when i bought them. Even today if I had to get a new TV i'd get a C2.

considering a 3rd LG oled for my pc but 48" is way too big. had a 32" inch display and i can't imagine having anything larger.

Banned
the Samsung S95B 55"

it supports all VRR standards, it's super bright, it has great color reproduction thanks to quantum dots and the lack of needing white subpixels, and it has the lowest input latency on the market both at 60hz and 120hz (which was maybe the main factor I bought it over the LG G2)

Samsung's Tizen OS is as shit as it always has been, but that's something I don't really care about.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
CX and C1 because they were the best tvs available when i bought them. Even today if I had to get a new TV i'd get a C2.

considering a 3rd LG oled for my pc but 48" is way too big. had a 32" inch display and i can't imagine having anything larger.

Pick up 42 inch model (I own OLED42C24LA). It works surprisingly well. I'm not going back to using a PC monitor.

Codiox

Just out of curiosity what was your oled light set to?
100, and before you are saying "why are you setting it this high?" because I can.

Why did LG didn't limit it to 90 and made that the configurable "100" ? They could have prevented burn in on the 7 series.

It's not the end of the world, I got a C2 just this week.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Lg C1 with 5 year Best Buy plan hoping something goes wrong around the four and half year mark 😏😉

Marvel14

Banned
I’m in the market for a new TV as well and will probably get the C1. Never buying Samsung again. Horribly build quality issues I have with them. This is my third Samsung in a row and all three have given me problems. Yes I know it’s my fault for going back. Never again. I don’t care how great the tv looks. Issues will come
Yup my Samsung is 10 years old but about 5 years ago it started stuttering for some reason. So now anytime I watch anything at some point the picture will go dark for a few secs and the sound will turn off momentarily. So annoying.

Kamina

Golden Boy
65“ & 55“ Sony A80J

Good reviews, and they were relatively inexpensive early this year due to the then upcoming new models.

I bought every LG c series model starting with the C7 all the way to the CX, yearly.

I feel like I landed on the perfect TV for my gaming and movie hobbies and my last 4k tv until we get 8k in the future and it becomes a “thing”.

ABnormal

The only OLED sets capable of Dolby Vision gaming are LG sets as far as I know.

With that said, Dolby Vision gaming is kind of pointless right now any way. I have an LG C2 and I opt for standard HDR-10 over DV on my Series X.
Nope. Panasonic Oleds are compatible with all HDR standards, DV and HDR10+ included

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
LG CX 65 because it was the best

Music Video Birdman GIF

solidus12

Picked a 65 inch LG C9 back in December 2019. Didn’t look back since.

Playing games in an unlocked 40fps VRR 120hz has been quite the experience. The perfect compromise between fidelity and performance.

Thank god my tv was future proof, ie, having 4 hdmi 2.1 ports with a full bandwidth 48Gbps, I believe.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Was about to pick up a A95K, until I saw it doesn't do VRR and Dolby Vision, I was looking at the G2 and that set has its own problems, on top of that Dolby Vision apparently adds lag on some sets.I'm having a hard time deciding which TV to get now, because they all have some weird deficiency.What did you guys buy and why?

You won't find a better set than LG's C2/G2 if you care about Dolby Vision gaming. This should change next year when other manufacturers switch to Mediatek's Pentonic processor that finally offers 4k@120 DV gaming.

If you're lucky enough to get access to Panasonic, pick up the JZ2000

The downside of Panasonic JZ/LZ series is poor gradation, especially near-black. It's not too noticeable for an average viewer and good quality content but Panasonic and Philips are currently the worst when it comes to color banding. Again, this should change next year if they switch to the newer processor.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
LG C9 here. Love it and hate it at the same time. It pisses me off that it handles RGB 444 so poorly. Dont know if it happens to LED TVs.

GametimeUK

LGC9 ticked all the features I needed. As soon as Gsync rolled out on the sets and it was on sale I went out and bought it. It's a great companion piece to all my consoles and PC. I don't think I'll have to upgrade for a while unless the set breaks. Having this TV provided some longevity to my PC because of VRR and it was excellent playing Ori Will of the Wisps at 4K 120fps on my Series X.

Soltype

You won't find a better set than LG's C2/G2 if you care about Dolby Vision gaming. This should change next year when other manufacturers switch to Mediatek's Pentonic processor that finally offers 4k@120 DV gaming.

I'm going to play with A95K when it gets here, if I don't like it I'll send it back for a G2.

xPikYx

Got recently the new Samsung 65" QD OLED for my living room for movies and got a LG 55" C1 for my spare room for gaming

Dibils2k

LG for me as Sony and Samsung dont have true HGIG that fully turns off TVs dynamic tone mapping. ita also priced very reasonably and has all the HDMI 2.1 features

Arioco

I bought an LG CX a couple of years ago, I'd been wanting to get an OLED for some time (the problem was I use my TV for gaming and burn in possibility put me off) and the LG CX was my choice as my first OLED. At that time I owned a Sansung QLED and I was very impressed with the CX. It had everything I wanted (4K, 120 Hz, 4 x HDMI 2.1, VRR, Freesync, very low input lag, etc, etc...). Even today it's a amazing TV.

A few months back I got a Samsung S95B. I put the CX in my gaming room and now I use the S95B as my main TV, and man, it looks fantastic. It really takes OLED technology one step further. It has the perfect black and per pixel precision that I love from OLED, but it also has the color volume and the brightness of a QLED. It's a little bit like having the best things of both worlds. Really, guys, this thing gets BRIGHT!

Unfortunately Tizen is a little crappy and the OS is not on patñr with the image quality. In fact I like WebOS better, it's snappier, more responsive and has better options. Seriously, the OS still needs some work, it's not what you would expect from a high end TV. I think even my 2018 QLED ran better, to be honest. And I still think Samsung built in Media Player is the worst, you can't even set subtitles off by default, so every single time you play a file you have to manually set subtitles to off. A problem I already had with my previous Samsung TVs, I can't believe Samsung hasn't fixed it by now.

And that's pretty much all my experience with OLED TVs. I'm really happy with both of them and I don't think I could ever go back to LED technology. In fact before the S95b I bought a Samsung QN95A and I was quite disappointed, I got it as my new gaming TV and I ended up returning it a few days later after trying some games. The local dimming did some weird stuff when in game mode, the highlights became like less bright and somehow diffuse when moving the camera, if still everything looked fine, but as soon as you move the camera the highlights went to hell. Weird shit I couldn't even find on the Internet. With the S95B the situation was the opposite, I got it as my gaming TV too but I like so much that it ended up being my main TV, and I decided to use the CX for my gaming room instead.

Very happy with OLED so far overall. As I said I don't think I could go back to a LED TV, even if it's a really high end one. Maybe it's true that once you go black you never go back. 🙄

Top Bottom