• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners- What did you pick and why?

Wow wish all TVs had this.
That's why you buy Philips.

eZCL6AG.jpg

Only shame they are not available Worldwide.

Tomcat

I bought an LG CX a couple of years ago, I'd been wanting to get an OLED for some time (the problem was I use my TV for gaming and burn in possibility put me off) and the LG CX was my choice as my first OLED. At that time I owned a Sansung QLED and I was very impressed with the CX. It had everything I wanted (4K, 120 Hz, 4 x HDMI 2.1, VRR, Freesync, very low input lag, etc, etc...). Even today it's a amazing TV.

A few months back I got a Samsung S95B. I put the CX in my gaming room and now I use the S95B as my main TV, and man, it looks fantastic. It really takes OLED technology one step further. It has the perfect black and per pixel precision that I love from OLED, but it also has the color volume and the brightness of a QLED. It's a little bit like having the best things of both worlds. Really, guys, this thing gets BRIGHT!

Unfortunately Tizen is a little crappy and the OS is not on patñr with the image quality. In fact I like WebOS better, it's snappier, more responsive and has better options. Seriously, the OS still needs some work, it's not what you would expect from a high end TV. I think even my 2018 QLED ran better, to be honest. And I still think Samsung built in Media Player is the worst, you can't even set subtitles off by default, so every single time you play a file you have to manually set subtitles to off. A problem I already had with my previous Samsung TVs, I can't believe Samsung hasn't fixed it by now.

And that's pretty much all my experience with OLED TVs. I'm really happy with both of them and I don't think I could ever go back to LED technology. In fact before the S95b I bought a Samsung QN95A and I was quite disappointed, I got it as my new gaming TV and I ended up returning it a few days later after trying some games. The local dimming did some weird stuff when in game mode, the highlights became like less bright and somehow diffuse when moving the camera, if still everything looked fine, but as soon as you move the camera the highlights went to hell. Weird shit I couldn't even find on the Internet. With the S95B the situation was the opposite, I got it as my gaming TV too but I like so much that it ended up being my main TV, and I decided to use the CX for my gaming room instead.

Very happy with OLED so far overall. As I said I don't think I could go back to a LED TV, even if it's a really high end one. Maybe it's true that once you go black you never go back. 🙄
you obviously had a defective tv. I have an 65 qn95a and no such problems. In fact it can rival oleds without worrying about ASBL or burn in.

Chiggs

• Sony A90J for movies and TV (Sony dominates with content)
  • LG C1 and C2 for console gaming (LG = gaming superiority)
  • S95B for my pc gaming display (wanted the QD-OLED paired with my gaming rig for that extra pop)
Happy as a clam with my choices.

Last edited:
I have the LG C9. I bought it shortly before the CX was released, so I got it for about half price. It was the best gaming TV at the time with 4K 120 HDR VRR full speed HDMI 2.1 and all that jazz. The only thing I wish it has was 120hz BFI, but I can live without it.

Why wouldn't anyone just buy an LG? Great price. Great panels. Great gaming functions. WebOS is actually tolerable, unlike any android OS, but I'd recommend an Apple TV or similar anyway.

Buy an LG, set it to HGIG gaming mode, calibrate your console, and enjoy.

Jinzo Prime

• Sony A90J for movies and TV (Sony dominates with content)
  • LG C1 and C2 for console gaming (LG = gaming superiority)
  • S95B for my pc gaming display (wanted the QD-OLED paired with my gaming rig for that extra pop)
Happy as a clam with my choices.
You must be absolutely stacked.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Got a Sony A90J, wanted the best TV at the time for media (BD-movies/streaming) consumption, Gaming came in second.
After firmware update is has 120Hz / VRR / ALLM, so im set for this gen. Bonus was that I could use the TV as a center speaker, and miraculously it fits the sound signature of my Yamaha Atmos set-up really well.

Chiggs

You must be absolutely stacked.

It's my dork den, and I have poured a lot of money into it. I'm set until 8k becomes a "real" thing...in the year 2029.

Got a Sony A90J, wanted the best TV at the time for media (BD-movies/streaming) consumption, Gaming came in second.
After firmware update is has 120Hz / VRR / ALLM, so im set for this gen. Bonus was that I could use the TV as a center speaker, and miraculously it fits the sound signature of my Yamaha Atmos set-up really well.

It's a superb TV. I love its audio features.

Last edited:

Hawk269

The QD OLEDs are certainly the superior technology, but current models are critically hampered by Sony's shitty Mediatek processors and Samsung's lack of image accuracy and Dolby Vision. Leaving a cheap deeply discounted C1 or C2 as the only sensible and viable option for the time being. The G2s are comically inflated profit monsters for LG and don't even come close to justifying $1000+ price premiums in the larger sizes.
Well that is why there are settings so can dial things in. I have the Samsung S95B and it is the best gaming TV I have ever owned. I upgrade TV's almost yearly, and have had LG's, Sony's before. They were great, I take nothing away from them, but the S95B using the QD-OLED just gives you so much more pop. Yes, out of the box, things are blown out, but the latest firmware fixed some of the oversaturation of some colors and it tracks EOTF much better. But it is still recommended to do some manual adjustments.

If I were to recommend a set at 65" it would be the Samsung S95B. For anything larger it would be the C2 or G2. Both of those are great sets. The only thing that the A95K has going against it is a few things (mainly for gaming). No HGiG, only 2 2.1 ports, panel does dim after a bit in gaming. It does produce an amazing picture for gaming, but without HGiG and the Dimming it really hampers it a bit. The other issue is that one of the 2 2.1 ports is also the eArc port.

So in the end based on my experience for primarily gaming:

#1 Samsung S95B
#2 LG G2
#3 LG C2

Reallink

Well that is why there are settings so can dial things in. I have the Samsung S95B and it is the best gaming TV I have ever owned. I upgrade TV's almost yearly, and have had LG's, Sony's before. They were great, I take nothing away from them, but the S95B using the QD-OLED just gives you so much more pop. Yes, out of the box, things are blown out, but the latest firmware fixed some of the oversaturation of some colors and it tracks EOTF much better. But it is still recommended to do some manual adjustments.

If I were to recommend a set at 65" it would be the Samsung S95B. For anything larger it would be the C2 or G2. Both of those are great sets. The only thing that the A95K has going against it is a few things (mainly for gaming). No HGiG, only 2 2.1 ports, panel does dim after a bit in gaming. It does produce an amazing picture for gaming, but without HGiG and the Dimming it really hampers it a bit. The other issue is that one of the 2 2.1 ports is also the eArc port.

#1 Samsung S95B
#2 LG G2
#3 LG C2
They have not fix anything about the comically juiced Game Mode last I saw, which is kind of a requirement given the forum we're posting on.

Hawk269

They have not fix anything about the comically juiced Game Mode last I saw, which is kind of a requirement given the forum we're posting on.
Yes they did. As of FW 1303 they fixed the EOTF tracking in game mode. I still made some adjustments myself, but overall it looks fantastic. I agree that it was really juiced when I got the set and I had to turn down color a bit because it was way over jacked. Right now it is at a good place...again, like any TV out today, you should still make some adjustments yourself to make it look like you want.

Reallink

Yes they did. As of FW 1303 they fixed the EOTF tracking in game mode. I still made some adjustments myself, but overall it looks fantastic. I agree that it was really juiced when I got the set and I had to turn down color a bit because it was way over jacked. Right now it is at a good place...again, like any TV out today, you should still make some adjustments yourself to make it look like you want.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware. Has anyone published before and after measurments of the update? The lack of HGIG would still steer me away unfortunately, tonemapping is pure artifical guesswork and basically akin to the dynamic contrast vivid settings of old.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’ve had a LG C7 since I got a PS4 Pro and I really have no interest in replacing it until it breaks. I know new TVs have high frame rate modes and all that but I’m fine with this one and don’t need all that stuff. Anyway I got it because it was the only acceptable OLED at the time, maybe the only OLED at the time.

Boneless

#1 Samsung S95B
#2 LG G2
#3 LG C2

I've just ordered a S95B, can't wait!

SyberWolf

i tried buying several monitors, none satisfied me until i got tired of finding 0 monitors that had everything i was looking for in a monitor.
so i just got a LG C1 48" about 1,5 year ago and i love it you cant find those deep blacks and response time anywhere else than OLED.
now i was thinking to go to a C2 42", but i am thinking i should wait.
i have a feeling 2023 might bring more OLED gaming monitors at a more appropriate desk size like 32".
OLED 32" 120Hz or higher would be perfect for me.

Calverz

LG 65CX
Amazing tv. 3 years left of my warranty and then it’s a wii remote through the screen to get whatever is the best then.

Picked up a 48" Philips 806 a few months back as it was time for an upgrade after about 5 years with the ol' Panasonic. To be fair I wasn't really bothered if it was LED or OLED as I was looking more at the feature set, glad I did get this set though as the price was good and it looks fantastic with games and in particular movies (watch a lot of UHD Blu-ray so was as much of a factor as gaming). Has everything I need - 4K/120Hz with VRR, Freesync & GSync compatibility. Dolby Vision & HDR10+ support. DD & DTS passthrough with optical. eARC for a future upgrade to audio. Android TV so great app support. Of course the surprisingly awesome feature of the set is Ambilight. You may scoff at it if never seen in action, but its sure to make going to any other TV aside from Philips difficult in future for me.

Only thing missing is I cant seem to get ultrawide resolutions working like I did on my previous set :messenger_pensive:

Buy some LED light strips, there are even some that do things to interact with your content.

Or just buy a Philips and have it integrated, and guaranteed to work with whatever is displayed on-screen, for little to no extra cost over competing displays (y)

What issues they have?
None that I notice.

The LG G2 might be a slightlt better and cheaper alternative though.

This is Rtings verdict:
"The Sony A90J OLED and the LG G2 OLED are very similar overall, but the LG is slightly better for most users. The LG is brighter, especially when displaying small, bright highlights in HDR, and it has better gaming features. The Sony has better gradient handling and much better tone mapping, so it's a better choice for anyone who cares about an accurate image."

I'm just a sucker for Sony and wanted to have a Bravia alongside my PS5.

Last edited:

GHG

No thanks. Real ambilight combined with Philips Hue lamps shits on your shitty LED strips.

Yep. The only way to even get close to replicating the experience inbuilt ambilight provides is to get a bunch of Hue light strips and bulbs and run them through the app available on PC (which I've actually got set up with my CX, but it's still not as good as what's inbuilt on my philips 805). Even then, it's not universal for all content running on your TV, it only applies for content that is run through the PC.

I get it, not everyone will like what ambilight provides, but it's not your standard Led bias lighting, it's a million miles away.

Boneless

Received my S95B, luckily no bends or dead pixels!

First impression, TV looks great, build quality is good and the image is amazing. Tizen is fine, not as snappy as I'd like but I don't really care about the platform too much.
Will need to test it further tonight when it gets dark. :)

Btw the cover on the back of the stand is a bitch to get on, I can't really get it to stick. I don't care so much as you don't see it as its at the back, but still.

Last edited:

Fbh

C1 because it was on sale ($800 for the 55" which is really good for what it normally costs here).
Also it had all the features I wanted: 120hz, VRR, HDMI2.1, etc.

Yep. The only way to even get close to replicating the experience inbuilt ambilight provides is to get a bunch of Hue light strips and bulbs and run them through the app available on PC (which I've actually got set up with my CX, but it's still not as good as what's inbuilt on my philips 805). Even then, it's not universal for all content running on your TV, it only applies for content that is run through the PC.

I get it, not everyone will like what ambilight provides, but it's not your standard Led bias lighting, it's a million miles away.

Ambilight is awesome. It sucks it's stuck with Philips TV's, I wish they'd just sell some ambilight kit that could be used with other brands, but I get that they want to maintain the main selling point of their TV's exclusive.

Last edited:
Sony A83J 65" - great picture for movies and games.
All gaming features are included after the spring update - VRR etc. 120hz..curent gen games looks like next gen.
Antireflection screen cover is good, I can watch the TV in relatively bright room.
Great colors - not to punchy as Samsung or LG, but also not dull - just the right balance.
I'm coming from 2013 flag ship TV and feels like clear, visible upgrade.
I think Sony are more reliable than LG as products.
65'' is a good size for TV, by my next one will be bigger - size matters in TV world.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony A83J 65" - great picture for movies and games.
All gaming features are included after the spring update - VRR etc. 120hz..curent gen games looks like next gen.
Antireflection screen cover is good, I can watch the TV in relatively bright room.
Great colors - not to punchy as Samsung or LG, but also not dull - just the right balance.
I'm coming from 2013 flag ship TV and feels like clear, visible upgrade.
I think Sony are more reliable than LG as products.
65'' is a good size for TV, by my next one will be bigger - size matters in TV world.
Nice to hear!
I like glossy myself as I find the matte to spread the reflection over bigger blob and diffuse.
I play usually at night or with blinds closed so it’s ok.
Didn’t new Sony used to do matte coatings. I think a95 is glossy now

C1 because it was on sale ($800 for the 55" which is really good for what it normally costs here).
Also it had all the features I wanted: 120hz, VRR, HDMI2.1, etc.

Ambilight is awesome. It sucks it's stuck with Philips TV's, I wish they'd just sell some ambilight kit that could be used with other brands, but I get that they want to maintain the main selling point of their TV's exclusive.
What are you talking about. Philips is selling those kits for two years.

It's called Philips Hue Play Gradient Lightstrip.

Issue is that the sync box ist limited to 60hz and not HDMI 2.1 ready/4k.

I bought an LG E8 on sale about 5 years ago after a new Sony Bravia died on me after only 2 years.

Totally worth it in the long run and better than classic Sony LED TV's.

It's a shame that it doesn't have VRR but I don't really need it. I'm fine with playing most PS5 games at 1440p, 60fps.

Fbh

What are you talking about. Philips is selling those kits for two years.

It's called Philips Hue Play Gradient Lightstrip.

Issue is that the sync box ist limited to 60hz and not HDMI 2.1 ready/4k.
Oh cool didn't know about it.

Will definitely look into it

spartan30gr

I have a X900f 55 sony tv
But with the new consoles right now,and the gaming features lacking for this model, is time to go for an upgrade
Iam interested to by a80k sony oled this year in black friday deals.
Whats is your opinion for this tv?

Last edited:

Mozza

LG 48" C1, both my Series X and Switch look awesome on it, for me the black levels and overall design of the T.V, plus the 4 HDMI ports and multiple USB connections are a huge bonus.

Boneless

Its been 9 years since my last TV but I still hate frame interpolation just as much as I used to. I potentially could get used to the weird, unaturally smooth feeling higher FPS gives me, but the artefacts are still very noticeable. Not surprising, as predicting frames is simply very difficult.

kapshin

I got an OLED Switch bc I like hand held mode and the screen is larger and a much nicer picture over the standard Switch. 😂

Today I brought home an LG C1 to replace my Sony 900E. It's a secondary TV in my basement for PlayStation 2/3/4 games. After trying my PS2 on my LG C9 upstairs, I just couldn't go back to the LED TV. The Sony 900E was supreme back in 2017 when OLED was insanely expensive, but it just looks bad now in comparison. The full-array backlight is good, but not good enough.

I went for the C1 because the C2 still has the bug/feature where 4:3 content has an extra 2 frames of lag for no good reason.

I got an LG CX to replace the sony x900h due to the blurriness bug or issue at 120hz the x900h has.

Was considering a sony given it tends to have superior image quality and better upscaling, but got this at a good price.

In five years my warranty will probably kick in and I'll be able to get the quantum nanorod next gen tech that is said surpasses oled and microled.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I brought home an LG C1 to replace my Sony 900E. It's a secondary TV in my basement for PlayStation 2/3/4 games. After trying my PS2 on my LG C9 upstairs, I just couldn't go back to the LED TV. The Sony 900E was supreme back in 2017 when OLED was insanely expensive, but it just looks bad now in comparison. The full-array backlight is good, but not good enough.

I went for the C1 because the C2 still has the bug/feature where 4:3 content has an extra 2 frames of lag for no good reason.
Do you think the C2 bug will mostly likely be fixed in a future firmware update?

Go_Ly_Dow

LG-C9, fantastic TV. Will upgrade in 3-4 years as I don't see any current or upcoming tech doing anything significantly different whilst being affordable.

LG-C9, fantastic TV. Will upgrade in 3-4 years as I don't see any current or upcoming tech doing anything significantly different whilst being affordable.
I had a 65" C9 until about 6 weeks ago (I upgraded to a 77" C2).

C2 is incredible but the C9 absolutely holds it's own. If I wasn't for wanting the bigger 77" screen, I would've happily used the C9 for another several years.

DonJorginho

Banned
Upgraded from my 48" C1 to a 42" C2.

So so happy with my decision, the TV seems to handles colours and motion better and is so snappy when browsing through it's UI, I also prefer the design and light weight of the C2.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Oh cool didn't know about it.

Will definitely look into it

If you game on PC then you can get around that by purchasing the bulbs and strips and then syncing them with the windows app. It will work when playing in 4k 120hz.

Only caveat is that it's only for games/movies played through the PC, it won't sync with any other devices you have hooked up to that TV.

I have about 3k to spend on an OLED TV this Christmas. Any recommendations which one to buy?
I think best OLED currently is the sony QDOLED A95k

IIRC has heatsink allowing for less image retention, far quicker clearing of bright highlights, and less risk of burn-in. Superior image processing.

But if you want to go for bigger could pick the next level lower end model which has very slightly inferior image for a far lower price the a80k. That allows you to get much more inches for the price.

I think best OLED currently is the sony QDOLED A95k

IIRC has heatsink allowing for less image retention, far quicker clearing of bright highlights, and less risk of burn-in. Superior image processing.

But if you want to go for bigger could pick the next level lower end model which has very slightly inferior image for a far lower price the a80k. That allows you to get much more inches for the price.

that´s exactly the one I was eyeing. Saw it in the store and was truly amazed at the image quality.

Top Bottom