• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners- What did you pick and why?

GHG

So, I received my Philips PUS8887 (LED) and...I've got a big white spot on the screen (detached reflector), just my fucking luck man...

Anyway, I've had it with these muhafuggin' LCD's/LED's, shit's been the same for the past 15+ years FFS, DSE, vertical banding etc etc (Philips also had V banding besides the white spot), it's like I travelled 16 years ago when I first got my 1st shitty LCD Sammy HD-ready TV, I just can't anymore...

So...enter the new LG CS6 OLED which is pretty much a C1 with the C2's processor which goes for 950/1000 Eurotrons over here for the 55" - apparently this TV can do ANYTHING like 4K@120Hz + VRR + Dolby vision (at the same time) which most 2022 TVs can't...
I'm ready to pull the friggin trigger but...no ambilight (obviously), plus, 55" is just way to big for my desk.

I just don't know lads, what say you ?

The LG CS is a good TV just look at reviews for the CX to get an idea of what you're getting.

If you're using it with PC then you can still get ambilight sorted for it using the PC app:

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-hk/explore-hue/propositions/entertainment/sync-with-pc

A kit like this will be enough to get you started:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8B99YS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can then add more bulbs/lightstrips as you see fit (if you need them).

Alpha Male

I finally decided to go with (Im getting it delivered Thursday from Best Buy) the 65 inch LG C2 over the Samsung S95B ...

I guess if I don't think the LG is bright enough I can try the Samsung.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Ended up getting the Sony A80CK 65" from Costco. It's great so far, haven't experienced any of the slow buggy OS issues I've read in the reviews.
I do notice that OLED isn't as bright as I thought it would be, is that normal?

Celcius

°Temp. member
People say that OLED's are too dim for bright rooms but they never look anywhere near dim when I see them at a store. Are people wrong or is there something about the in-store demo that makes them seem brighter?

People say that OLED's are too dim for bright rooms but they never look anywhere near dim when I see them at a store. Are people wrong or is there something about the in-store demo that makes them seem brighter?
My assumption would be newer OLEDs are brighter panels (C2 is 20% brighter than the C1, for example) and that they calibrate those store demos to look as good as possible in those conditions. As someone with a C1, I don't think my TV feels dim at all and I have a pretty big window in the room I have the TV in.

Ideally if you have an extra bright room, you'd go with something with a more powerful backlight to counteract the natural brightness. One of my family members has an older Sony OLED (one of the first generations) in a bright room and she really struggled watching Ozark and seeing the action on screen.

DonJorginho

Banned
As long as you turn off the energy saver settings regarding screen dimming, the screen brightness is more than fine, even in brighter rooms.

My C1 was right next to my window which had plenty of natural light coming in but even then I was able to watch and play in a satisfactory manner.

That being said now with my C2 I have replaced my curtains with blackout curtains but that's only because I'm going for a more home cinema setup so need the all out darkness available.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I never have a problem with my C9 which sits next to a large bay window. The C9 isn't as bright as the models on the market now and I don't have the oled light (linked to brightness) up full.

I guess it might depend on your expectations, but I've never felt my TV was too dim. I have felt it was too bright, brighter than the plasma it replaced.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I had been playing with some OLED monitors namely the LG 27" 240hz 1440p and the Samsung 34" G8 ultrawide but neither scratched that itch for overall console gaming, PC gaming and general desktop use

Well was in Best Buy and they had a 42" C2 being returned because it didn't fit his set up so I asked what it would resale for being open box and they said if I took it as is could have it for $725

So here I am using an OLED for things I have said I would never use an OLED for like desktop use but wow is this display gorgeous.

Plus having Totaltech through Best Buy they will replace the display every 6 months if needed so why not

Its a little larger than what I am use to (a joke works here) but so far loving it

It is a tad dim for me yet during the day here but can get used to that

Samsung S95B. The color volume of quantum dot tech mixed with the inky blacks and infinite contrast ratios of oled tech, make it a match made in heaven too difficult to ignore!!!

A CX77“ for the living room because it was a dream for me to finally have an amazing TV that‘ll last for a decade before I need to even consider buying a new one. And a 42“ C2 because I tried an IPS monitor first but quickly replaced it with an Oled, once you saw black there‘s no going back I guess.

Last TV was an E6 and it worked pretty well. But also got burn in, so I’m just kind of done with OLED. Especially as they still suck in terms of HDR highlights, and while the models this year are supposed to increase brightness I’d be surprised if it didn’t also sped up burn in.

Last edited:

vivftp

Why didn't you get the big one?

lol this is an odd quote over 3 months later.

The only Sony OLED larger would be the 83" A90J and that would've been a few thousand dollar more at the time. Not worth it for an extra 6 inches IMO. For my setup 77" is the absolute perfect size

Top Bottom