• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One killed, 2 injured after racist open fires in Kansas bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man opens fire in a bar, shoots two Avionics Engineers from India thinking they were middle-eastern. 3rd man tries to stop him but also gets injured.

three_victims_720.jpg

(person in middle died)

Charges filed in Olathe Austins shooting; suspect waives extradition to Johnson County

A 51-year-old Olathe man was charged Thursday in a Wednesday night shooting at an Olathe bar that left one man dead and two others wounded.

Adam Purinton was drinking at a bar in an Applebee’s in Clinton, Mo., when he was arrested early Thursday, about five hours after the shooting, police said.

The Star has learned that charges were filed early Thursday afternoon.
Purinton allegedly told a bartender in Clinton that he had killed two Middle Eastern men, The Star has learned.

He reportedly told the bartender that he needed a place to hide out.

Assistant Clinton Police Chief Sonny Lynch said that a bartender called police after the man talked about being involved in a shooting.

Clinton officers responded and took him into custody without incident. Lynch said the man was not armed when he was arrested.

At least one witness reportedly heard the suspect yell “get out of my country” shortly before shooting men he thought were Middle Eastern. Both men, engineers at Garmin, appear to be originally from India.

The shooting left one man dead and two others injured.
Two of the shooting victims were employees of the Aviation Systems Engineering team at Garmin, headquartered in Olathe.

In an email to employees, Garmin officials identified the fatal victim as employee Srinivas Kuchibhotla. Alok Madasani was injured, the email said.

“Unfortunately, two associates on our Aviation Systems Engineering team, Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani, were shot. We are devastated to inform you that Srinivas passed away and Alok is currently recovering in the hospital,” Garmin said in the email.

In a public statement, Garmin said, “We’re saddened that two Garmin associates were involved in last night’s incident, and we express our condolences to the family and friends of our co-workers involved. Garmin will have grievance counselors on-site and available for its associates today and tomorrow.”

Kuchibhotla posted on LinkedIn in 2014 that he managed helicopter programs. He had a master’s degree in electrical and electronics engineering from the University of Texas at El Paso. He earned his bachelor’s degree at the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University in India.

A 2014 post on LinkedIn said Madasani was an aviation program coordinator manager at Garmin. He studied at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and at Vasavi College of Engineering in India.
Witnesses said the suspect was in Austins drinking and making racial slurs. At one point, they said, one of the regulars stood up to the man.

Neighbors in the Scarborough neighborhood said the suspect may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He also may have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness.
This is really sad. I know someone from my office who knew the Indian victims through friends.

see5harp

Man that's sad. I don't want to hear the dumb excuses they come up with for this guy. That's a hate crime and he should do life.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's always perplexing to me that there are people that get pissed when someone says Islamophobia is racism, and yet acts like these prove that bigots have a certain image of what a Muslim looks like; namely a brown person. When the Sikh temple was shot up, the guy also thought he was killing muslims.

Glix

1. Constantly do nothing for vets

1a. Kneecap your states economy

2. Spew constant hateful scapegoating rhetoric regarding muslims.

3. This happens.

sappyday

Jesus Christ. R.I.P to the man killed and condolences to his family. I hope the shooter rots in prison for the rest of life

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's always perplexing to me that there are people that get pissed when someone says Islamophobia is racism, and yet acts like these prove that bigots have a certain image of what a Muslim looks like; namely a brown person. When the Sikh temple was shot up, the guy also thought he was killing muslims.

Brown people. All the same.

/smh. Jesus. RIP victim.

I hope the first victim rests in peace and I'm sorry for his family's loss. I'm glad the other two men survived. I'm heartened by the gentleman who did his best to protect the others. Thank you, sir.

Sigh.

negitoro7

RIP to the victim, and speedy recovery to the other two.

Geebus, you spend your life working hard, earning a masters degree in engineering and work for a well-known company in a prominent role only to have it cut short by some racist idiot. My condolences to the victim's loved ones.

This kid is a lone wolf with a mental illness. He doesn't understand his actions and should not be held to the same accountabilities as muslims niggers others.

My genuine condolences goes out to the victim's family.

A reporter better ask Spicer why Trump didn't mention this shooting (with the assumption that he won't).

Glix

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

That being said the man is a vet.

If he has a legit PTSD diagnosis you guys are being fucking soulless

Skatterd

"Donald Trump's America is secure. Terrorists and dangerous criminals kept out. The border secure. Our families safe..."

mjc

Correct me if I'm way, way off base.

How does PTSD cover up this kind of behavior? There's premeditation here.

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

You guys?

I guess he had a flashback of shooting brown people.

no but see those evil terrorist brown people were about to kill america, you see

Good thing any and all legislation barring those suffering from mental illness from gaining access to firearms has been struck down.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

PTSD is terrible but its no excuse to murder people for racist reasons.

Zyae

Get the fuck out of here with this. PTSD doesnt excuse this.

A man was murdered, him having PTSD means jack shit

fuck everyone responsible for the completely insane amounts of islamophobia that permeated the recent election. it has driven unhinged people to commit acts of violence like this.

people like michael flynn, who spread fear and doubt among communities, and then were given national positions of power, rewarded for the hatred that caused shit like this.

RIP to the deceased. I fear very much for our Indian and Sikh brothers and sisters who are getting caught up in all the hate. this fucking racist ass country.

Why didn't he surrender his guns then? He's responsable.

Eyeh4wk

PTSD doesnt make you racist. He was also an alcoholic.

i-Lo

Na-uh can't call him a terrorist cause he is white and Christian.

In one of very many Trump threads I recall starting that brown people are screwed and now this is the final form of that fuck up. And iirc Trump administration want to disassemble task force that keep tabs on white supremacists.

You done fucked up.

I just read a headline that says Kansas' governor is signing a bill that allows permit free concealed carry after July 1st.
RIP to the man killed.

SeanC

The GOP in Kansas is fueling the fears of people there with its massive Islamaphobia. Like this mailer:

ISIS.jpg

Incidents in the state are on the rise so when I see someone killed I'm shocked yet not surprised.

FatalT

Banned

Cute. Having PTSD makes it okay to murder people and brag about it. Tell us more about your views!

Madness

This is the face of terror. PTSD doesn't mean you go an execute people because they 'look middle eastern and don't belong here'. Throw his veteran and PTSD suffering ass in jail for murder. What is soulless is how you are more concerned for this guys wellbeing than the ACTUAL victims of yet another domestic white hate crime, one of many since 9/11.

Oy0eVYM.jpg

Toxi

Banned
I'm happy to see that third guy tried to protect them.

Not so happy about the guy who died. :( Hope the other two recover.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to have a fucking gun if he has PTSD. The victims did nothing except be the wrong colour /somewhere at the wrong time.

SyNapSe

Awful. Kudos to the guy shot trying to stop it.

Kind of amazing the guy shot up a bar then went to another bar and was like, "yeah, I just shot a few ppl at a bar. Need a place to lay low.. Cool, if I hang at your bar?". Uh, sure, let me just step in back to take a call. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom