• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One killed, 2 injured after racist open fires in Kansas bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I know soldiers with PTSD and that excuse is bullshit. This man clearly can function well enough to go drinking and spout racist bullshit. He could damn well turn his weapons in/sell them/seek psychiatric care instead. But he chose to buy into incredibly violent and disgusting rhetoric that caused someone to die and two others to be injured. He's a coward and an asshole and using his PTSD as an excuse is a fucking embarrassment to other good people out there struggling with the disorder every single day but still manage to be decent human beings.

My condolences to to the family of the deceased, and the guy who stepped in should be commended.

Dude is complete scum. He took a brilliant mind from us.

This type of terrorist attack highlights just how racist this islamophobic BS rhetoric is. The racists don't give a fuck about the details and they just want to be justified in their hate of brown people. Trump and the GOP fuels that.

I feel a tiny bit of optimism over the fact that SOMEONE tried to help, but incredibly bummed out all the same. This report makes it look like they're already looking for an out for the shooter. Ugh.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sad and infuriating. My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones.

It's not unreasonable to be a minority in this country and fear for your life. Last night me and my wife took a walk to tue grocery store, and she told me later that we were getting a lot of dark looks from people, mainly white dudes wearing business suits.

Being in an interracial marriage has me on edge more than I'd like to admit walking down the street with my arm around my wife. Trump and his ilk have emboldened racists, and him winning the white House has validated their views. Thanks, America! Nice to know that my black ass is still hated here, and always will be.

Salmonax

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

That being said the man is a vet.

If he has a legit PTSD diagnosis you guys are being fucking soulless

So basically, won't someone please think of the murderer? Not sure I care that much about the factors that led someone to kill an innocent stranger.

Tragic and all but the spin here is ridiculous. All these attempts to counter label just reduce the definition of "terrorist" to meaninglessness.

Compare this guy to someone like Breivik, and you'll see that one of them was pursuing a planned political agenda of aims and goals with their violence and the other was just a racist maniac.

This case seems like textbook racial terrorism. Understand that the goal of the racial terrorist is to incite fear and terror in the ethnic communities they target. Shooting at brown people you think are Middle Easterners and telling them to "get out out of my country" fits that definition.

shem935

Banned
The GOP in Kansas is fueling the fears of people there with its massive Islamaphobia. Like this mailer:

ISIS.jpg

Incidents in the state are on the rise so when I see someone killed I'm shocked yet not surprised.

Forgot I shredded this when we got it in the mail.

Kneecap

Nope, a lone wolf with mental problems.

This assumes the guy lives on a deserted island, and reads, listens to and watches nothing. On the contrary, he lives in a social setting that has the ideas he believes, the actions he did all ready made before he came along. Racism and homicide are in large part a social problem. Lone wolf explanations are often used to let the people and social forces that set the stage for the act off the hook.

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

He reportedly told the bartender that he needed a place to hide out.

The guy is a fucking sociopath, a racist and a murderer. Do you even know what PTSD is?

Soulless my ass.

rjinaz

Awful. RIP

BTW, I have ptsd from being raped and I don't go around shooting men. Hell, I even married one!

Jesus people suck.

But yeah, the last thing he needed was guns if he was having serious mental issues. But we don't even know why he did it and it doesn't matter, sympathy goes with the victims, whatever happens to him is up to the justice system and I don't care.

Sadly Trump is making people see enemies and terrorists everywhere. This will only get worse.

Most Muslim terrorists have been indoctrination probably from childhood. That doesn't excuse them and ptsd doesn't excuse this
This is fundamentally untrue statistic.

most Muslim terrorists have cursory knowledge of Islam, and studies have shown that the deeper understanding of Islam, the less likely they are to become lone wolf terrorists.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f94...state-gets-know-nothing-recruits-and-rejoices

We find that knowledge about Islam indeed has a statistically significant and negative impact upon support for the Afghan Taliban and SSP, although the result is larger and more significant in explaining decreased support for the SSP. However, several control variables – including gender, maslak, ethnicity, and income – are also statistically significant and often larger in magnitude than the knowledge index in explaining support for both the SSP and the Afghan Taliban.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/can-bei...m-help-muslims-reject-terrorist-appeals-maybe

Breads

Banned

There were other victims too.

You know.

The people who were shot/ killed.

RIP to the victim and his family. Hope the other two can recover.

On the other hand, fuck this piece of shit terrorist. Hope the scumbag pays.

I remember watching a documentary about ptsd post service, and how treatment options were abysmal to the point where some of them ended up killing themselves. Not saying any of its excused, but some of the blame is definitely on the piss poor treatment of mental disorders.

Paz

If this guy had yelled Allahu Akbar before shooting a few white people I somehow doubt we'd be 3 pages deep into discussing how people are soulless for condemning him without taking in to consideration the rough life he had.

Yelling Get out of my country + telling people he shot middle easterners, the fuck do you think his intentions were?

PTSD doesn't make one virulently racist enough to shoot up a bar.

PTSD doesn't make one virulently racist enough to shoot up a bar.

no, but it most certainly would be a part of what causes someone to snap like that.
Just wanting blood for blood doesn't solve shit, its disconcerting that this seems to be prioritized over any kind of discussion as to how a person gets to this point and what the fuck went wrong?.

Lowmelody

no, but it most certainly would be a part of what causes someone to snap like that.
Just wanting blood for blood doesn't solve shit, its disconcerting that this seems to be prioritized over any kind of discussion as to how a person gets to this point and what the fuck went wrong?.

Nope, all racists belong in the trash, even ones with illnesses.

shira

At least one witness reportedly heard the suspect yell “get out of my country” shortly before shooting Kuchibhotla and Madasani. The suspect fled on foot. A manhunt ensued. Five hours later, Purinton reportedly told a bartender at bar in an Applebee’s in Clinton, Mo., that he needed a place to hide out because he had just killed two Middle Eastern men

What a fucking dumbass

no but see those evil terrorist brown people were about to kill america, you see

Good thing any and all legislation barring those suffering from mental illness from gaining access to firearms has been struck down.

But that other thread said impeding the second amendment was worse than this potential outcome. Who am I supposed to believe?

Every time this happens, every time gun restrictions are brought up and people fervently say its not the issue. Nothing is ever going to change.

He was looking for a place to hide out five hours later. I say this as the son-in-law of a man who had to spend time after 'nam in serious in-patient psychiatric treatment due to what happened during that war: fuck him.

Not sure whats more disgusting, the incident or the fact that someone even here is trying to defend this guy's actions by citing he's a vet and has ptsd .

throw his ass in jail for life along with the guy who handed the retarded monkey a gun despite his diagnosis.

Derwind

We don't look up terrorists medical history as some excuse for their actions, why should we do that for this guy?

Please enlighten me.

Terrorist radicalised by hate speech and racist propaganda. Probably lost some peeps he served with.

Terrorist radicalised by anti-American propaganda. Probably lost family or peeps he knew.

Not much difference. Terrorists.

Also, if I needed material to write a dystopian novel about the rise of a fascist regime, I would use American newspapers from the last six months, I'm sorry to say :(

God please don't let this happen in the UK. Get well soon, America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom