• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One killed, 2 injured after racist open fires in Kansas bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

That being said the man is a vet.

If he has a legit PTSD diagnosis you guys are being fucking soulless
Having PTSD and being a murderous racist asshole are not mutually exclusive.

Glix

PTSD doesnt make you racist. He was also an alcoholic.

Of course hes a racist. Hes a 50 year old making racial slurs while drunk at a bar. He sounds like a fucking scumbag.

He deserves no pity and he is responsible for his actions.

And of course rip to the victim, this shit is horrible and sickening.

And the fact that we dont take care of our vets is horrible too. Despite his racisim, perhaps he wouldnt pull out his gun and start fucking shooting people in a bar if his mental health was being treated more effectively.

I guess the word soulless was a bad choice. I just am used to gaf being very sensitive concerning mental illness and understanding how powerful it is and was surprised how the only posts even acknowledging it were the ones pointing out that this is always how it is reported when a white man commits an act of domestic terrorisim (which too, is true). So i was surprised it wasnt being acknowledged in any way.

But yes, if he does not suffer from mental illness I stand 100% corrected.

"Neighbors in the Scarborough neighborhood said the suspect may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He also may have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness."

The GOP is okay with this man buying all the guns he wants.

Bellamin

The only way my hometown seems to get in the news. From what I'm hearing, most people were just there to watch the KU game. Sad to see this happen.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
RIP to the victim and speedy recovery to the other two.

So does this make 4 incidents in the last two weeks of white males trying to kill brown people? Thankfully the other three were stupid enough to get caught before hand.

TaterTots

Banned
Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to have a fucking gun if he has PTSD. The victims did nothing except be the wrong colour /somewhere at the wrong time.

This. Someones mind that is twisted from war should not be able to carry or even purchase a firearm. Feels weird typing that because I know a lot of people fight for those kind of rights, but it is what it is. Sorry for the families loss.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If anything wouldn't this be a hate crime? Why are people here so caught up on terrorism

Lo-Volt

There is no doubt that all the rhetoric and dog whistles contribute greatly to this incident.

It's harder for people to swallow a sentiment like this when it's more often applied to other white people. Do you seriously think that if the shooter were Muslim or "brown" that he would receive such consideration?

If that sounds soulless or rueful, alright. But I think more and more Americans are frustrated by this kind of double standard, literally getting espoused by top officials in a racist administration ("fear of Muslims is rational", right?). We really shouldn't have to hear this nonsense anymore. And those of us with mental illnesses and disorders would also be right to mock all this handwringing over how their conditions make them violent, because that's often untrue. (Depending on the illness, self-harm or abuse from others would be more common.) So if you want to talk about "soulless"...

kris.

Banned
I used to go to Austin's pretty often and it's a great spot. These people didn't deserve this. Fuck this racist loser.

Sidenote: I was in Cub Scouts with Ian (the guy who got shot attempting to take down the shooter) when we were little. Haven't spoken to him since high school but he was always such a nice person no matter what. Really goddamn proud that he'd stand up against shit like this and I hope he and the other survivor recover swiftly. Condolences to the man who passed.

Fuck racists.

FatalT

Banned
Of course hes a racist. Hes a 50 year old making racial slurs while drunk at a bar. He sounds like a fucking scumbag.

He deserves no pity and he is responsible for his actions.

And of course rip to the victim, this shit is horrible and sickening.

And the fact that we dont take care of our vets is horrible too. Despite his racisim, perhaps he wouldnt pull out his gun and start fucking shooting people in a bar if his mental health was being treated more effectively.

I guess the word soulless was a bad choice. I just am used to gaf being very sensitive concerning mental illness and understanding how powerful it is and was surprised how the only posts even acknowledging it were the ones pointing out that this is always how it is reported when a white man commits an act of domestic terrorisim (which too, is true). So i was surprised it wasnt being acknowledged in any way.

But yes, if he does not suffer from mental illness I stand 100% corrected.

Backpedal harder, deflect better! Is this the devil's advocate role you want to play? Had the man not been a blatant alcoholic racist, his mental illnesses may have been looked at in a different light.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Fuck him we only find justifications when they look like that. He deserves to rot in jail. PTSD or not.

Rip to the victim, and I'm happy the other two survived.

If anything wouldn't this be a hate crime? Why are people here so caught up on terrorism

Maybe because any muslim extremists that carry out attacks like this are (rightfully) called "terrorists" and (not rightfully) their religion gets easily demonized, but if it's a white guy that did it, he's called "a lone wolf with mental problems". Like the guy from the Munich attacks for example.

Glix

It's harder for people to swallow a sentiment like this when it's more often applied to other white people. Do you seriously think that if the shooter were Muslim or "brown" that he would receive such consideration?

If that sounds soulless or rueful, alright. But I think more and more Americans are frustrated by this kind of double standard, literally getting espoused by top officials in a racist administration ("fear of Muslims is rational", right?). We really shouldn't have to hear this nonsense anymore. And those of us with mental illnesses and disorders would also be right to mock all this handwringing over how their conditions make them violent, because that's often untrue. (Depending on the illness, self-harm or abuse from others would be more common.) So if you want to talk about "soulless"...

That makes sense to me. I would give a brown person the same consideration, but that doesnt matter. The double standard does exist, so Of course hearing it is tiring and frustrating.

Soulless was certainly the incorrect sentiment. I'll hold my L here.

Dai101

Banned
Man that's sad. I don't want to hear the dumb excuses they come up with for this guy. That's a hate crime and he should do life.

Neighbors in the Scarborough neighborhood said the suspect may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He also may have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness.

There you have it.

Not because he was a racist piece of shit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
1. Constantly do nothing for vets

1a. Kneecap your states economy

2. Spew constant hateful scapegoating rhetoric regarding muslims.

3. This happens.
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

I blame this completely on the modern political hard right climate that winds unstable fucks like this up then pretends they have no idea where it came from when they act out with hatred and violence.

Interesting how nobody (but the posters here in this thread) are calling this terrorism.
He is a domestic terrorist.

3. This happens.

If the shooter was muslim nobody would be coming up with 'excuses' like him being a Veteran with PTSD.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The GOP in Kansas is fueling the fears of people there with its massive Islamaphobia. Like this mailer:

ISIS.jpg

Incidents in the state are on the rise so when I see someone killed I'm shocked yet not surprised.
Holy fucking shit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
"Donald Trump's America is secure. Terrorists and dangerous criminals kept out. The border secure. Our families safe..."

Should be an ongoing tally of foreign terrorist related deaths and domestic white males against foriegners.

The GOP in Kansas is fueling the fears of people there with its massive Islamaphobia. Like this mailer:

ISIS.jpg

Incidents in the state are on the rise so when I see someone killed I'm shocked yet not surprised.

Cause bumfuck Kansas is where all the jihadists are looking to maintain their holy war. What the fuck.

Tragic and all but the spin here is ridiculous. All these attempts to counter label just reduce the definition of "terrorist" to meaninglessness.

Compare this guy to someone like Breivik, and you'll see that one of them was pursuing a planned political agenda of aims and goals with their violence and the other was just a racist maniac.

andthebeatgoeson

Nope, a lone wolf with mental problems.
They'll white wash it with the quickness.
Tragic and all but the spin here is ridiculous. All these attempts to counter label just reduce the definition of "terrorist" to meaninglessness.

Compare this guy to someone like Breivik, and you'll see that one of them was pursuing a planned political agenda of aims and goals with their violence and the other was just a racist maniac.

Then call him a racist maniac. They gave him all this humanization that they rarely give others.

kris.

Banned

so a terrorist attack has to be premeditated? nah, son.

y2dvd

What's interesting is the article didn't identify the shooter's religion. I bet if the shooter was middle eastern, they would've been quick to point that shit out.

Animator

America this past month is reminding me of the first hour of Schindler's List.

You got people being pulled from hospital beds to be deported, it is fucked beyond repair right now.

S-Wind

Many vets have legit PTSD, but they don't go around killing innocent brown people.

Sagroth

This happened less than 10 miles from where I live, and even less than that from the earlier Jewish Community Center shooting. Kansas is getting hella scary.

PTSD doesn't make you shoot people. It's a form of depression.

In the US, a vet commits suicide every hour. The last thing they need is to be associated with killers. Go research the crime rate amongst vets and everybody else.

Keasar

Remind me, why should we westerners be afraid of Islamists again?

I'm pretty sure I've counted the number of white terrorist attacks in the hundreds while the Islamist attacks are still countable on one of my hands.

Neighbors in the Scarborough neighborhood said the suspect may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He also may have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness.

And OF COURSE he was able to get a fucking gun! When you have PTSD, that's the best time to buy a fucking Assault Rifle according to the Republicans!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
One of my best friends just Snap'd me that the one that passed away was his colleague and primary partner on a project at Garmin.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And ppl say I'm paranoid for being worried about going back to the US right now.

I'm Indian and have a beard. Fuck that.

Klocker

3. This happens.

On point... fucking people think they are making America great instead they are taking it to the toilet.

On top of being racist scum it's infuriating this jackass killed off somebody whose probably done more to contribute to society in being an engineer than he has. Fucking worthless cunt whose probably only contribution is being sent off to fight in 1-2 stupid ass wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom