• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tat's design doesn't bother me, though the fanservice is a little ridiculous. Perhaps she's an attempt to parody the 1000 year old dragon sydrome, but I would have preferred her more along the lines of this:

NVrpu6g.jpg

This is Fubuki with Tatsumaki's hair.

Extreme might be the wrong word. I'm totally with ya there, he was a stand out in that Arc and of a good chunk of it came from his ridiculous backstory. I simply meant he doesn't harp on stereotypes as much as PPP that usually come with this sort of design in anime.

Yeah,
eventually we find out he was never black
, but caution never hurts. It's almost similar situation to Mr. Popo. Almost.
I see your point. Pri Pri is pretty on the nose.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/014/191/thatsapenis.JPG
I see Fubuki wasn't the only one to inherit the ass.

goddamn
A little NSFW to not be in quotes, ya think? But boy do I hate it when anime/manga/games like to shove down the "legal jailbait" fetish down our throats.

Compared to her younger sister, Tatsumaki is worst girl. I'm all for girls that don't have insane egos and actually look their age.
Both are the best girls. Tatsumaki is pure unrestrained EGO and a major asshole. Fubuki doesn't know her place and is tip top bullying/teasing material.
I always thought that King was going to be the Rank 1 hero with how he's portrayed in art and the OP. Should have known that the No 1 wouldn't be revealed so soon.
King is less active than the other S class heroes for hilariously amazing reason.
Space Dandy saved it and OPM ruined it. I tried to tell everyone but they wouldn't listen. :()
Not too make you go "wut!?",
but when Tatsu is drawn at her most mature, she could probably be 18 - 20 where i live.

I've been to the US when i was 20 and they thought i was 14,
my 25 year old brother was also guessed to be about 14 - 15.

American kids be scary yo.
Americans know it too. In High school the guys used to joke about the girls growing up so fast thanks to the hormones in our fast food. Don't even get me started on gym locker rooms. The diversity of the US means you end up with some seriously huge ass people and some guys with facial builds that got you wondering if adults have been sneaking into the school. I was once mistaken for a teacher in my senior year lol.
Fun fact, Tatsumaki's VA is 23yo Aoi Yūki and she is only 145cm tall, lol
Damn, not only is she short but she looks as much like a kid as Tatsumaki. Jesus.

koLyQcy.jpg
Jesus Christ

I'm only 5'10" and I feel like I could stick her in my pocket and walk away with her without anyone noticing lol.
Yep. This is the primary reason it doesn't bother me. Tatsumaki is such a brat and her interactions with everyone else is hilarious because of it.

tumblr_nyy8cvHNmY1qam6y9o1_540.gif

tumblr_nyy8cvHNmY1qam6y9o2_540.gif

tumblr_nyy8cvHNmY1qam6y9o4_540.gif

tumblr_nyy8cvHNmY1qam6y9o3_540.gif

But... you can have scenes like this without the gratuitous fanservice and ass shots.
Can't wait for Genos to get his shit pushed in next episode lol.

I noticed that Tatsumaki is the only S Class girl. That 1/17 makes Oda's 1/7 and 1/4 look good. I guess no matter how big your group of fighters is they gotta have one girl. I think the Espada in Bleach and Akatsuki in Naruto were both the same.

Mentat

Banned
I noticed that Tatsumaki is the only S Class girl. That 1/17 makes Oda's 1/7 and 1/4 look good. I guess no matter how big your group of fighters is they gotta have one girl. I think the Espada in Bleach and Akatsuki in Naruto were both the same.

Lightspeed Flash might be female.

-_O

And to be fair Tatsumaki could beat every single S-Ranker (except King) even if they all ganged up on her at once.

It could certainly be better but I wasn't having a problem with it until this thread (I'm only up to date through the Murata version) where people are saying he isn't even Black? Cause if so then that design kind of moves from a bit derpy but otherwise fine to WTF?!-City via the "Really?" Highway with a house on "LOL Japan" Avenue and your personal car parked on "C'mon Son" Boulevard.

Supposedly his design is inspired by Bobby Ologun.

That of course doesn't change the fact that a wimpy Japanese guy became a big buff black guy. Reminds me of that one hentai with Bob Sapp.

It's only weird if you act like it is. In any case, i'm 19, so it's not weird at all for me, but if you're older and you think that it's weird then too bad I guess

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'm 20

also, humans age, whereas instanced episodes of one of my japanese animes don't

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NEO0MJ

King is less active than the other S class heroes for hilariously amazing reason.

Now I'm curious. Will probably check out the manga after the anime's done.

I'm only 5'10" and I feel like I could stick her in my pocket and walk away with her without anyone noticing lol.

You're only 5'10"? You'd fit right in with Tatsumaki in the kid's table. Gotta be at least 6'05" to hang out at the big boy table at GAF.

Just watched it. The green haired little girl fanservice shots were ultra creepy, and if that one guy was supposed to be a racist caricature of a black person then what the hell. Besides that it was good.

Crocodile

The complete lack of major female characters in OPM is pretty bad. In the vast majority of superhero groups, even in comics primarily targeted towards boys, you still have a decently healthy representation of female heroes and villains and that has only been better better over time across international media. OPM is just unusually bad in this respect.

Supposedly his design is inspired by Bobby Ologun.

That of course doesn't change the fact that a wimpy Japanese guy became a big buff black guy. Reminds me of that one hentai with Bob Sapp.

*Looks Bobby Ologun up*

That's a cool inspiration but the real life Bobby is Nigerian by birth. Having your character be a Japanese dude that turns into a Black Guy is still all sorts of WTF? and loses you all the "diversity points" you'd get by including a Black guy on your superhero team.

The complete lack of major female characters in OPM is pretty bad. In the vast majority of superhero groups, even in comics primarily targeted towards boys, you still have a decently healthy representation of female heroes and villains and that has only been better better over time across international media. OPM is just unusually bad in this respect.

It kind of gets better as it goes along. Smaller Murata spoilers -
Fubuki starts to hang out with Saitama. "Hang out" meaning he doesn't actually want to hang out and she clings to him because he is strong like Genos

Current ONE spoilers -
Tatsumaki and Saitama are fighting. I expect Tatsumaki to go tsun-mode and join up with his posse

Of course those two sisters are pretty much the only girls in the series so...lol

But yeah it could be better. Girls usually get the short end of the stick in series like this, the exceptions I can think of being Soul Eater, Medaka Box, Attack on Titan and maybe FMA. I haven't read far enough into Mob Psycho to know if it's any better in that respect.

Russ T

Banned
Oh man I'm so happy they use ONE's version of Tatsumaki. Just yesterday I was saying I wasn't sure it would work in combination with Murata's art style but I'm glad it does.

DeaviL

Banned
I'd bet he is just slathered up in the tanning paint bodybuilders use
(though I also thought he was black)
Twegqet.jpg

Actually, i think he trained so hard that is body became as dense as metal.
He's not actually brown, he's more black/metal colored when you see him.

Puruzi

Banned
i'm 20

also, humans age, whereas instanced episodes of one of my japanese animes don't

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok?
that doesn't mean anything here when she's 8-9 years older than both of us

whatever though, you're free to think whatever, don't really give a shit

loses you all the "diversity points" you'd get by including a Black guy on your superhero team.

I don't think Japan gives any sorts of fucks about diversity points

Crocodile

But yeah it could be better. Girls usually get the short end of the stick in series like this, the exceptions I can think of being Soul Eater, Medaka Box, Attack on Titan and maybe FMA. I haven't read far enough into Mob Psycho to know if it's any better in that respect.

My Hero Academia seems pretty good on this front and I only assume will get better when Urauka and Froppy get more time the the spotlight, Yayao has her confidence at 100%, etc. The Urauka and Bakugon fight could have been handled better but all things considered it was still better than many other similar fights I've seen in shonen manga.

I don't think most Japanese creators think about diversity points as a result of living in a homogeneous society.

I'm aware of the reasons. That doesn't make it suck less when viewed through the lens of non-Japanese audiences.

I don't think Japan gives any sorts of fucks about diversity points

Clearly. They should though, at least more than they currently do. It would do a lot to increase the marketability of a lot of their products worldwide. Make themselves some extra cash and that's what all capitalistic industries want no?

Its really weird seeing people on the subreddit defend a black guy who is drawn with big pink lips and a character clearly drawn like a little girl with fanservice shots "Whos actually 28 so its ok"

Oh well

It's been a long time since I read this arc in either ONE or Murata's OPM. Was Garou foreshadowed this early? I know he was mentioned much in the same manner as the anime, but shown?

MLAtqkc.gif

Season 2 hype?

Russ T

Banned
Haha guys stop defending the 1000 year old dragon trope.

It might be defensible if she wasn't fetishized and sexualized, but she is. It's not good. It's a bad thing. Not as bad as the entirety of Pri-Pri Prisoner's defining characteristic, perhaps, but still bad. She is the way she is because Japan and lolis, and that's it.

She's a fun character besides this, but that doesn't make this shit immune to criticism.

Drencrom

Its really weird seeing people on the subreddit defend a black guy who is drawn with big pink lips and a character clearly drawn like a little girl with fanservice shots "Whos actually 28 so its ok"

Oh well

Yeah, it's typical anime fuckery sadly. I've come to just "accept" that you can't escape shit like that, even in most good shows.

Crocodile

Haha guys stop defending the 1000 year old dragon trope.

It might be defensible if she wasn't fetishized and sexualized, but she is. It's not good. It's a bad thing. Not as bad as the entirety of Pri-Pri Prisoner's defining characteristic, perhaps, but still bad. She is the way she is because Japan and lolis, and that's it.

She's a fun character besides this, but that doesn't make this shit immune to criticism.

Here's how to "fix" Pri-Pri Prisoner while retaining his character design and sexuality:

Genos (or whoever): "Why do they call you Pri-Pri Prisoner?"
PPP: "I spend a lot of time in prison. I feel we've done such a bad job actually rehabilitating criminals and if I can do something to calm and avoid turmoil and hopefully push these men, regardless of the wrongs they have done, onto the right track, I think that's a good use of my time. Plus, there aren't many other places you'll have so many cute guys gathered in one place! *innocent wink*"

BOOM. All objectionable aspects of Pri-Pri Prisoner removed and you don't have to change anything about his design or sexuality. Where's my check ONE/Murata?

Puruzi

Banned
No, its basically the head to body proportions that bother me. She clearly looks like a child with large hips. Even Satiama says it.

I'm really not seeing the child there, but I'm just gonna drop it.

I guess ya'll just want her to be taller

She's short for a reason though

Moaradin

I don't like Loli characters typically but Tatsumaki doesn't really bother me. She's pretty tame when it comes to that kind of character.

too much sitting in a room talking

Haven't seen the episode yet but they introduce a bunch of S Class heroes here. I think that's kind of needed.

Tacitus_

Here's how to "fix" Pri-Pri Prisoner while retaining his character design and sexuality:

PPP: "I spend a lot of time in prison. I feel we've done such a bad job actually rehabilitating criminals and if I can do something to calm and avoid turmoil and hopefully push these men, regardless of the wrongs they have done, onto the right track, I think that's a good use of my time. Plus, there aren't many other places you'll have so many cute guys gathered in one place! *innocent wink*"

BOOM. All objectionable aspects of Pri-Pri Prisoner removed and you don't have to change anything about his design or sexuality. Where's my check ONE/Murata?

Uhh.. I don't think making him go from "I want to abuse cute boys, but that's bad so I lock myself up.... but criminals are bad, so it's just punishment for them!" to "wink wink, I'm a prison rapist" is an improvement.

Yeah, I don't believe he was actually shown until much, much later though. I'm hoping that MadHouse actually has something in store for S2 if they revealed him so early.

I would doubt that.
The Garou arc is extremely long. Murata hasn't even gotten to the real thick of it yet, instead he is doing a side story about Metal Bat. It's going to take him a long ass time to finish it.

Kudo

Best episode so far, lots of Tatsumaki what can fan of hers ask more?
Next episodes are going to be great too, time to get the Power.

Russ T

Banned

I feel like it's way too heavily implied when he's introduced (in the comic, anyway - they skipped his actual in-prison introduction in the anime) that he's in prison for being a predatory shithead. Which on its own is bad enough, but it also plays into the disgusting predatory homosexual stereotype.

Also there's an implied prison rapist stereotype in your fix (which I don't want to accuse you of doing intentionally, haha, just pointing it out).

That said, I'm all for retconning this particular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom