• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Is The Last of Us Remake Worth $70? (IGN.com)

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?

• Total voters

Thabass

He's not wrong. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.
The point is that any reason given to the hike other than "because they can and want" is BS.
I would argue people are not paying willingly, but they are because they want to have the new shiny and that's the price you have to pay. Maybe that's the same thing, but to me, I'd like to wait for a sale nowadays before I buy new games. Especially if those games are not reviewed well.

I guess I could concede that, if a game reviews well (90's Metacritic score), then I can see it being worth the money. But, man, I would hate to pay $70 for a garbage game. That is why I do like to see how a game reviews nowadays, even if the trailers impress me.

SJRB

Gold Member
iu

I’ve played through the game close to 15 times on PS3 and PS4, I adore it. I would be all over this day one if it had Factions, but since it won’t then hell no. It’s got Sony’s new inflated price with less content. For that alone I’m waiting for it to drop to $20CAD.

angrod14

I don't understand the logic of people questioning 70 fucking bucks for an AAA video game "because of the economy". Or people used to paying 60 and now complaining about the 10 dollar increase? What the fuck do you do with 10 bucks these days? Buy bubble gum? It's fucking ridiculous. If paying 70 bucks for something you like hits your economy in a significant manner, how did you even afford a PS5 in the first place?

It's not like you're saving 2000 dollars on a car deal or something like that.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I guess I could concede that, if a game reviews well (90's Metacritic score), then I can see it being worth the money. But, man, I would hate to pay $70 for a garbage game. That is why I do like to see how a game reviews nowadays, even if the trailers impress me.

How often do you find yourself paying full price for a "garbage" game?

Think I've been burned once or perhaps a few times in... 10 years? I don't even know. Doesn't seem hard to be informed. and quality tends to speak for itself. Especially considering the omnipresence of media these days.

Thabass

How often do you find yourself paying full price for a "garbage" game?

Think I've been burned once or perhaps a few times in... 10 years? I don't even know. Doesn't seem hard to be informed. and quality tends to speak for itself. Especially considering the omnipresence of media these days.
*Looks at Avengers*

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They should give an upgrade price for those who own a previous copy of the game, it would make more sense.

To people who've never played TLOU? Well it's a modern PS5 game at that point and it's priced like their other PS5 games.

It's previous owners of the game where that price tag makes a lot less sense.

EruditeHobo

The answer is an easy yes for me -- I'm happy to support great developers, it's literally one of my principles when it comes to this business, and furthermore I will be very happy to play through this updated version of one of the best and my favorite games of all time.

If it were a situation where I'd already played the game like a dozen times, perhaps I would be somewhat less enthused. But I think I've only gone through 3 times, 1 on PS3 & twice on the remaster. Last time was before TLOU2... so I'm really looking forward to revisit this one and see how well it's been updated.

Markio128

Why should anybody have to justify how they spend their money? I only have one answer for the person asking the question:

discussion anthony GIF

Last edited:

HisExcellency

Neo Member
I cannot believe how little the gameplay improvements made for Part 2 are being discussed when debating the price. Have people played these games? The gameplay is night and day. Part 1's gameplay was fine, nothing to write home about but good enough to have you enjoy it while waiting for the next story beat. Part 2's gameplay is one of the best of all time for a third person game. The animations, AI, gunplay, environmental interactions, systems, etc. are all industry-leading.

I simply cannot understand why the only thing people do is look at screenshots of characters and try to determine if the graphical upgrade is worth $70. It's TLOU P1's story with P2's gameplay! (Also Left Behind). What more do you want???

mortal

Gold Member
If you think it's too pricey then just wait for a goddamn sale/discount as you would with any other title.

I don't know why it's a big deal now for some people when Sony have been selling their 1st party PS5 titles for $70 since 2020.

IntentionalPun

I cannot believe how little the gameplay improvements made for Part 2 are being discussed when debating the price. Have people played these games? The gameplay is night and day. Part 1's gameplay was fine, nothing to write home about but good enough to have you enjoy it while waiting for the next story beat. Part 2's gameplay is one of the best of all time for a third person game. The animations, AI, gunplay, environmental interactions, systems, etc. are all industry-leading.

I simply cannot understand why the only thing people do is look at screenshots of characters and try to determine if the graphical upgrade is worth $70. It's TLOU P1's story with P2's gameplay! (Also Left Behind). What more do you want???

Yeah they need to give more detail on that though; they said very little about gameplay updates and showed none of it.

Hard to blame people for focusing on the graphics when they pretty much focused on that for their announcement.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
you can bitch all you want but journalists saying anything won't matter. This isn't destruction all stars, the only way this will change is if people don't buy it.

But I will, so too bad. Also....it does not look the same wake up.

Wow talk about rescanning the performances. That new version looks almost 1-to-1 with real footage.

Last edited:

ungalo

Budget wise i guess. Those kind of remake, even if they're remakes, are still AAA. Cost probably more than any midbudget/AA and even some AAA games on the market and those are still at full price at launch.

This is precisely why i found this kind of project so boring and uninteresting...probably take considerable time to make for a result so pointless. Obviously it's updated, but the constant need of technical "actualisation" for the sake of consuming is getting really ridiculous...

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Budget wise i guess. Those kind of remake, even if they're remakes, are still AAA. Cost probably more than any midbudget/AA and even some AAA games on the market and those are still at full price at launch.

A huge chunk of the "cost" of any game is the actual design of it up front, then iterating on that design, building out levels or areas/tweaking them/etc.

That's why these re-makes are so popular for companies as they can do them for a lot less money than an original AAA game. Sequels as well since the IP is at least there to build upon, but remakes are relatively cheap to produce... for a normal AAA game a lot of content that was bought and paid for is cut too, while a remake you dont do that at all.

Even better they have a sequel where the tech was updated that they appear to be leveraging... it's still a lot of work mind you to then fit that into a remake.. and a lot of work spent upgrading assets.. but it's a fraction of them building a game w/ a different story/locations/etc., of the same scope as TLOU.

Last edited:

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Yeah they need to give more detail on that though; they said very little about gameplay updates and showed none of it.

Hard to blame people for focusing on the graphics when they pretty much focused on that for their announcement.
True, they have not released a gameplay trailer. But they did say it would use the PS5's hardware to have "modernized gameplay."

I just think it's borderline illogical to assume they wouldn't use the gameplay from Part II. Although I guess that's a good example of why I don't pre-order games thus far out, even when I know I'm going to buy them. If they try and give us Part 1's gameplay and just better graphics then it's absolutely not worth it. But that is so unlikely it doesn't even merit thought imo. Since it's a remake, they would have to purposefully make the gameplay worse than the last game they made lol.

I think P2's graphics and gameplay is the baseline for what we should except from this remake.

FingerBang

I answered no, but I don't think the question is a yes or no one. It depends.

For me, who played it on both PS3 and PS4 already? No fucking way. For someone who's never played the game? Probably.

I might grab it once the price goes down. Full price, no way.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think people that are willing to pay $70 for this are crazy. It's the 3rd iteration in 3 generations and there is already a version that plays on the PS5 that also includes the multiplayer. Like GTA5 and Skyrim this reek of milking the hell out of an IP. Additionally, even though the character models may look somewhat more realistic I HATE the way they have made them look either uglier (Tess & Ellie) or weak (Joel). That said does selling this game for $70 hurt me in anyway? Nope, so if people are willing to buy it why not.

When I first got my PS4 last gen Sony sent me a coupon/discount code to get TLoU for $10. Was it worth it? Oh, Hell yeah. I didn't love the game nearly as much as the hardcore Sony fanboys, but it was a decent game and well worth $10.

K2D

Banned
A new generation might enjoy it. Too many reason for me not to. Will not triple dip unless it ends up on PS+

IntentionalPun

I think P2's graphics and gameplay is the baseline for what we should except from this remake.

Oh I agree, it's also what was rumored long before the announcement.

I'm sure we'll see a gameplay trailer closer to release, maybe an SOP talking about the actual updates to the gameplay/etc.. but until we get that most people are just going to go off of the trailer.

M1987

I'm as excited as anyone to play it, and yes I've played it before, but there's no fucking way it's worth £70

TheBreezyBB

I think if games were $50 it would sell a lot more. But asking $70 for a remake is insane honestly, next 5hing you know new AAA games are going to be $100!!

If it tanks, it was not worth the effort...That's about it; The market will decide; Polls are useless in this instance.
We know the game will be great in terms of mechanics, tech, art and story/characters...That's what matters, ultimately. How the market responds is a different thing altogether. The most vocal "opponents" seem to be fans who have played both the original, on the PS3, and its remastered version on the PS4...To those I say: Nobody is forcing you to buy it...
There are people who skipped the remaster, entirely, and, believe it or not, others who have never played the game! Crazy thought, I know! Especially the PC community, which will be invited to try it some time next year, imo.
My only complaint, is that ND should have considered offering a Part I/ Part II (a bit enhanced for the PS5) box for those who might be interested...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, nothing has an "intrinsic" value, everything's value is given by the people that value them... So if Sony want to sell a $100 PS1-style game (graphics, scale and gameplay) and it sells a shitload of copies, it clearly is worth the money since the market spoke.

Same for TLOU Part I, it will sell solely on the fact that many people want to get into the franchise (including myself) and will now have the chance.

Elginer

Will wait for a steep sale, I can’t justify the price. I still have other NEW games that I’ll be getting like Callisto Protocol and Soul Hackers 2.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I said no. I respect the changes but I feel that the ps4 version was good enough at this time, if they are charging full price. It will definitely be worth it at a lower price to me though.

Fbh

Lol no.

I was ok with the concept of $70 games when it came with the expectation of proper next gen games. Instead I'm getting a remake of a 15 hours game with PS4 graphics and cut content (the whole multiplayer).

The $70 price in general has been a joke. Most of the time it's like a tax for games to use the hardware I already paid for. Setting a higher res, increasing the fps cap from 30 to 60 and increasing basic stuff like draw distance isn't costing devs tens of millions of dollars. Almost every $10 indie game on Pc offers multiple resolutions and framerates for free

Last edited:
Top Bottom