• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Microsoft will anounce soon that Xbox Live Gold is included in Xbox Gamepass ($10/month)/ F2P games don't require gold anymore

truth411

Ok, here is how I see it. M.S. will fold gold into game pass, use the value of gampass to justify it (Game pass is a good value). But the negative is, its still a pay increase for multiplayer gaming. Yes they will remove the paywall for F2P games, but Sony has that right now.

Sony will respond either by increasing the value of PS+ or IMO introduce a higher/more expensive PS+ tier with more value to compete with Gamepass. (Didn't they send a survey studying that possibility awhile back?)

quest

Not Banned from OT
$120 bucks a year just to play online?
Bad selling product so the fix is to double the price gtfo. Until i see it i don't believe Microsoft would kill its brand before launch after 2013. It be like Sony launcing at 599.99. The warriors prayer to see their side win i guess. Gold is not the money maker it was with low console sales. Want to kill gamepass kill console sales this would do it. No console sales no gamepass. PC and cloud is not going carry it to sustainability. This would be the drm fiasco all over again and has warriors salivating for it.

Foxbat

Banned
Stop antagonizing with juvenile console war bait such as this.

Let’s not fall for the bait and regress the conversation further.

Absolutely.

What's your take? Do you think MS dropped the 12 month sub to simply charge people more money?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Absolutely.

What's your take? Do you think MS dropped the 12 month sub to simply charge people more money?
onr2Lul.gif

93xfan

Banned
My guess is that gold stays around for a while for GWG and sales. Gamepass also gives you the same sales.
MP will be free.

Edit: some of the most popular games are f2p, with Halo now going that way. It makes sense not to have a paywall that just encourages developers to make their game F2P.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
2x options so far im aware of:

a) $10/30days or $120/year (more expensive than b)
b) $25/90days or $100/year (two extra months XBL compared to a)
c) $15/30days or $180/year (with gamepass and xcloud)

Before 2020 XBL had a price of $60/year | $5/mo
Post 2020 XBL will have a price of $100/year (+66% increase) | $8.33/mo

To sugarcoat it, they´re adding gamepass and xcloud, but also further increase the monthly cost from $8.33 to $15/mo (another +80% increase).

If you just want XBL every year, pick option b) (and pay 66% more every month). Option c) will increase the monthly cost for just XBL from $5 to $15 (+300%), but you also get 2x extra feature, services (you like/want or not).

Redlancet

Banned
One company offers a superior online experience for generations now, you know where the money goes. Never been hacked, Their online is very strict and secure, never been down for more then a couple of hours at most, lightning fast downloads when cabled.

The other company has a subpar excuse for online, since this gen you have to pay for and the experience is still lacklustre in comparisson, nobody knows where all the money goes but one things for sure not their online service. It has been hacked and credit card info has been stolen, it's been down for days, throttled download speeds even when connected with a cable.

One still has servers up for a racing game like last gens Forza Motorsports 2 and countless of other old games.
The other one has the servers closed for a current gen racing game like Drive Club and countless of other games.

Now why would the better one remove their subscription fee? Not very logical is it!? I agree that the Gold requirement for F2P games should be dropped and I think that's a possibility but anything other then that doesn't make sense.

Everytime i Read things like these it brings me a big smile

Online play its as good on ps4 as is on xbox, i play both systems every day, we arent on 2007 anymore son

Wizz-Art

Everytime i Read things like these it brings me a big smile

Online play its as good on ps4 as is on xbox, i play both systems every day, we arent on 2007 anymore son

Really you say as good? Why does Sony still rent their server space from other companies and not own their own like MS Azure? Why do they disconnect servers for current gen games? Why are they down so much more then the others? To bring their streaming service on par with the competition they recently announced they gonna use Azure, if it's already on par they wouldn't right?

Redlancet

Banned
Really you say as good? Why does Sony still rent their server space from other companies and not own their own like MS Azure? Why do they disconnect servers for current gen games? Why are they down so much more then the others? To bring their streaming service on par with the competition they recently announced they gonna use Azure, if it's already on par they wouldn't right?
Son i play every single day on both systems, cod warzone, battlefront 2,battlefield v, etc stop spreading bs and stop moving goalposts, the online experienciis good on both systems

Wizz-Art

Son i play every single day on both systems, cod warzone, battlefront 2,battlefield v, etc stop spreading bs and stop moving goalposts, the online experienciis good on both systems

Answering any of the questions I asked you is too difficult I see. Have a nice day!

junguler

Banned
at this point they have to do it even if they didn't plan to originally, it just get's talked about constantly and microsoft can't afford to miss this opportunity.

John Wick

Now, let me start this topic with the statement that i never trusted or do trust Microsoft, and for me, they are the same greedy company that they always have been.
We got the Microsoft statement that they are not going to change gold, but something must be happening, right ?
No more options to buy 1 year of gold (the price has risen from $60 per year to $120), Halo multiplayer is going to be f2p, and they changed the name. Now, what is going on, you might be asking yourself.
Let me try to explain what will happen next: Papa Phil will anounce that Xbox GamePass (standart one) now includes Gold, and f2p games don't need gold subscription. Do you see what's their plan ? They give the player a ''choice'': you either pay $120 per year for gold, or you pay $120 per year for gamepass (which includes gold). The result is obvious.
But, fearing of people's complaints that the gold is now double the price, they are going to throw a bone: hey, no more gold for f2p, it's completely free now.
This might be my fantasy, or it might be the reality, we'll see.
What do you think, gaf ?
Yes agree. Probably something like that. I paid £34.99/year for Xbox live from CDKeys. I bought 3 and stacked them. So i'm good till March 2023. I paid £3 to upgrade to Gamepass. So I've paid £108 for 3 years. Not very profitable for MS. £120 a year sounds amazing in comparison for MS. I can't wait till when some people start claiming how pro consumer MS is when they start paying a lot more but have been duped into thinking Gold is gone.

TimFL

Ultimate already includes all those features.
I know. I was just outlining how their new subscription landscape could look.
Keeping Gold as the low barrier of entry for online gaming but also upgrading the basic Game Pass sub to also include access to online multiplayer (but no GwG) makes perfect sense to me.

The people who buy Game Pass get online MP included so they can enjoy all of the online games that GP has to offer. Ultimate stays as it is and includes all subs there are (GP PC, Gold and xCloud service) for the hardcore fanbase.
Gold is for the casual playerbase that only wants to play their yearly FIFA or COD titles online, but have no use for the more expensive Game Pass sub and its catalogue.

Top Bottom