• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Microsoft will anounce soon that Xbox Live Gold is included in Xbox Gamepass ($10/month)/ F2P games don't require gold anymore

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Now, let me start this topic with the statement that i never trusted or do trust Microsoft, and for me, they are the same greedy company that they always have been.
We got the Microsoft statement that they are not going to change gold, but something must be happening, right ?
No more options to buy 1 year of gold (the price has risen from $60 per year to $120), Halo multiplayer is going to be f2p, and they changed the name. Now, what is going on, you might be asking yourself.
Let me try to explain what will happen next: Papa Phil will anounce that Xbox GamePass (standart one) now includes Gold, and f2p games don't need gold subscription. Do you see what's their plan ? They give the player a ''choice'': you either pay $120 per year for gold, or you pay $120 per year for gamepass (which includes gold). The result is obvious.
But, fearing of people's complaints that the gold is now double the price, they are going to throw a bone: hey, no more gold for f2p, it's completely free now.
This might be my fantasy, or it might be the reality, we'll see.
What do you think, gaf ?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
something must be happening, right ?

Why?

People like to connect dots, but not all dots are meant to be connected.

Not saying it'll never happen, but companies tend to avoid outright lying. If something was actually going to happen to Xbox Live Gold any time soon, they'd have simply said "no comment."

xStoyax

Banned

That would be one way to brag about your MAU and Game Pass subscription numbers. For all of the talk of Sony being anti-consumer over the last several hours, it's kinda funny if Microsoft is charging you more to access all of the content in your game that you've already paid to have access to.

Jason28

If something was actually going to happen to Xbox Live Gold any time soon, they'd have simply said "no comment."
It's more about gamepass (hey, it now has gold included), that the Gold subscription itself.
Now, with f2p, they might anounce it later this month, with the consoles price.

Last edited:
Microsoft isn't getting rid of the requirement to pay to play online. Only idiots believe that. Why do people think that they are just going to say "You know those billions of dollars we make off Xbox Live Gold? Yeah let's just dump that we don't need it." Like give me a break people how stupid can you be?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's more about gamepass (hey, it now has gold included), that the Gold subscription itself.
Now, with f2p, they might anounce it later this month, with the consoles price.

That's a possibility, but I would be honestly surprised.

It's true that Microsoft has a shitton of money, but Game Pass already comes with a metric ton of value and it doesn't really need to be promoted further. Adding even more value would IMHO be redundant in terms of promotion while giving up a load of revenue.

Last edited:

Jason28

Adding even more value would IMHO be redundant in terms of promotion while giving up a load of revenue.
They are not giving up revenue. You still gonna need gold to play online. But now, instead of paying $120 per year for gold, they will be forcing you to join gamepass with gold included (the same 120 per year).
This will help with investors: hey, look at those GP numbers, they are growing, now shut up and let us do our business as we want.

Estocolmo

Isn't it better to wait for an actual confirmation straight from the company itself instead of all these strange speculations and dr evil comparisons?

I personally believe that they are dropping the gold requirement for FTPs. The reason why is I don't think they want to lose all the revenue that they are getting from gold subscriptions.

Off Topic

Why did you think it was a good idea to send the mods pictures of your dick?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wizz-Art

One company offers a superior online experience for generations now, you know where the money goes. Never been hacked, Their online is very strict and secure, never been down for more then a couple of hours at most, lightning fast downloads when cabled.

The other company has a subpar excuse for online, since this gen you have to pay for and the experience is still lacklustre in comparisson, nobody knows where all the money goes but one things for sure not their online service. It has been hacked and credit card info has been stolen, it's been down for days, throttled download speeds even when connected with a cable.

One still has servers up for a racing game like last gens Forza Motorsports 2 and countless of other old games.
The other one has the servers closed for a current gen racing game like Drive Club and countless of other games.

Now why would the better one remove their subscription fee? Not very logical is it!? I agree that the Gold requirement for F2P games should be dropped and I think that's a possibility but anything other then that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

TimFL

Gold will not be folded into Game Pass.
I think online play will be. Makes absolute sense to me to have their services set up like tiers:

Tier 1: Gold (includes GwG and online play)
Tier 2: Game Pass (includes online play but NO GwG freebies)
Tier 3: GP Ultimate (includes Gold, xCloud and PC GP).

All they really have to do is include online play in the basic GP sub, makes perfect sense to me. I‘d like to know how many clueless gamers bought into GP to play a MP game with their friends only to find out that they also need Gold.
The main attraction of Ultimate isn‘t Gold but xCloud / PC anyways.

They can still keep Gold around as their lowest entry tier for online play.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
One company offers a superior online experience for generations now, you know where the money goes. Never been hacked, Their online is very strict and secure, never been down for more then a couple of hours at most, lightning fast downloads when cabled.

The other company has a subpar excuse for online, since this gen you have to pay for and the experience is still lacklustre in comparisson, nobody knows where all the money goes but one things for sure not their online service. It has been hacked and credit card info has been stolen, it's been down for days, throttled download speeds even when connected with a cable.

One still has servers up for a racing game like last gens Forza Motorsports 2 and countless of other old games.
The other one has the servers closed for a current gen racing game like Drive Club and countless of other games.

Now why would the better one remove their subscription fee? Not very logical is it!? I agree that the Gold requirement for F2P games should be dropped and I think that's a possibility but anything other then that doesn't make sense.

Do you have any idea of the hate coming your way? Why point out the truth when the truth doesn't matter? I hope your flame suit is in working order.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

No your charging us approx 68% more if you've dropped to monthly from 12 months and approx 43.5% if you change to 3 month subs. And that's not taking into consideration that you can get the codes cheaper elsewhere.
This could push me into PS5 only next gen.

Foxbat

Banned
No your charging us approx 68% more if you've dropped to monthly from 12 months and approx 43.5% if you change to 3 month subs. And that's not taking into consideration that you can get the codes cheaper elsewhere.
This could push me into PS5 only next gen.

Indeed. Something is definitely happening. While it's in the process, let's use this opportunity to pile on MS.

Just remember the downplay routine if it turns that MS puts out a good deal.

pr0cs

Yeah, no.
Eim0f6Y.png

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They are not giving up revenue. You still gonna need gold to play online. But now, instead of paying $120 per year for gold, they will be forcing you to join gamepass with gold included (the same 120 per year).

That is giving up revenue. Considering the value of game pass they can easily ask people to keep paying for both.

This will help with investors: hey, look at those GP numbers, they are growing, now shut up and let us do our business as we want.

Game pass numbers have been growing since it was released. You may have missed every single Microsoft financial conference call in the last year.

What you're describing is literally missing on a large chunk of revenue to obtain something they already have.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Indeed. Something is definitely happening. While it's in the process, let's use this opportunity to pile on MS.

Just remember the downplay routine if it turns that MS puts out a good deal.
What routine, that's the facts for me as my Gold gamepass as ended and I'm in limbo. Its all about choice they say, i want 12 months sub and i'll buy gamepass the odd month when i want to, i don't want to pay for Ultimate when i don't have a pc nor am i interested in streaming.

Foxbat

Banned
That is giving up revenue. Considering the value of game pass they can easily ask people to keep paying for both.

Game pass numbers have been growing since it was released. You may have missed every single Microsoft financial conference call in the last year.

What you're describing is literally missing on a large chunk of revenue to obtain something they already have.

This threads intended purpose isn't what you think it is. It's merely a place to practice excuses, and hash out conspiracy theories in case MS actually makes a consumer friendly move. Nothing more.

Foxbat

Banned
What routine, that's the facts for me as my Gold gamepass as ended and I'm in limbo. Its all about choice they say, i want 12 months sub and i'll buy gamepass the odd month when i want to, i don't want to pay for Ultimate when i don't have a pc nor am i interested in streaming.

Then buy a 3 month. Why should MS sell you a 12 sub when it's obvious that they are making changes and that the system in place now won't exist in it's current form in 12 months. So get a 3 month, and then you can decide if there's value, and worth your money when they release the details.

Or you can simply cry that you're going to PSN.

That would just push everyone that doesn't want gamepass over to PS5. Gamepass has over 10m subscribers between X1 AND PC. X1 has sold 50-60m consoles, its obvious not everyone wants a subscription service, if your gonna couple them together and increase the price to play online people are just gonna go to the cheaper alternative.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Then buy a 3 month. Why should MS sell you a 12 sub when it's obvious that they are making changes and that the system in place now won't exist in it's current form in 12 months. So get a 3 month, and then you can decide if there's value, and worth your money when they release the details.

Or you can simply cry that you're going to PSN.
Fuck off you idiot

S0ULZB0URNE

$10 a month is more than I'm willing to pay especially since I don't support services like Gamepass.
Just want multiplayer.

DaGwaphics

If they are just ripping us off by eliminating the 1yr option...

Another option for GamePass, to make it more fair for console gamers, would be to remove the paywall for games provided by the service. You'd still need Gold for CoD, etc., but not for games included in GP. They should also definitely remove the paywall for ftp titles, you don't want to discourage users from playing these.

reinking

Gold Member
I have been saying this since they removed the 12month Gold. Going free to play online makes them no money and makes no sense. Moving it to Game Pass console increases value for the same month-to-month price. That being said, I think it less likely now since Microsoft has denied Gold is going away. I think if they planned to move it they would have just kept their mouths shut with a no comment.

Vawn

Banned
Microsoft isn't getting rid of the requirement to pay to play online. Only idiots believe that. Why do people think that they are just going to say "You know those billions of dollars we make off Xbox Live Gold? Yeah let's just dump that we don't need it." Like give me a break people how stupid can you be?

Call me an idiot, because I believe that's EXACTLY what is happening. They want to get GamePass hooks in deep now at ANY costs. They can worry about making it profitable later on and on a MUCH larger scale.

DJTHEGREY

If XBox Live becomes free it's a good move. Might encourage more people to get a XB Series X and later actually try Gamepass.

If XBox Live is moved to Gamepass and you have to pay for Gamepass to play online that's a bad move. I like Gamepass but I understand many people don't or don't care for it's value. May deter people from getting XB Series X.

Top Bottom