• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

ZywyPL

Banned
I too love shooters with awful controls and corridor levels!

for real Killzone is just Call of Duty in space with worse controls and framerate

While this is true for KZ3, KZ2 on the other hand is one of the most unique MP that ever existed. It' especially a shame that Warzone mode hasn't been picked up by other devs, it's was so damn brilliant and amazing.

Leyasu

Banned
The problem what most of you not realizing is selling a piece of plastic is not increasing their bottom line business. Consoles are and has always been low margin business, they are not iPhones. Infact initially companies have to eat up cost, its not unheard of.

Where ultimately both Sony and Microsoft makes money is selling software via their store, live/psn+ service and licensing cut from 3rd party publishers.

Now ask yourself, if you are able to sell your subscription on another platform without doing any R&D that goes behind every new console. Why in the world would you not want to? lol
You could be right.

But then the Microsoft board would obviously have had to agree to giving a monopoly to a rival and losing out on the opportunity to lock people 100% into their ecosystem. Not only that, they would also have been comfortable with the prospect that Sony could then do whatever the fuck they wanted once they reigned supreme. What would stop Sony from demanding a 40 or 50% cut when they are the only console maker? It is not as if you can pull your software because you would then only have PC to your games.

People clamouring for a one console future are not seeing the pitfalls of this

MonarchJT

Banned
What assets would Activision have? Land, buildings? Unlikely for a company producing virtual goods like software, certainly no physical stock on hand.

These sorts of things are valued based on earnings and ip value…all goodwill.
basically like every software company out there ...yeah IP have value ...you think that spiderman ip have the same value as Ori?

Vognerful

Ju
Based on financial estimates if CoD goes full exclusive, the worst case is ... 260 million a year. Could be as low as 87 million.

So between .33% - 1% annual revenue hit. It's absolutely nothing given how the rest of their platform is growing. Again, much ado about nothing.
St wanted to say the article does not have a source to the cost estimate. I tried searching online but I couldn't find any other mention of this report or the original source.

Murdok

c1601c8af4bcee0c0e6433f704d620d9669a71585838b5bf63ba5acc408e3392.jpg

Lognor

Banned
Starfield is a unknown, unproven property. Cod is a known property generating revenue on playstation. Theres a big difference in why one can avoid playstation and the other can't.
Starfield is the spiritual successor to Skyrim. Of course it will do monster numbers. And Elder Scrolls (including Skyrim) sells tens of millions of copies and we know going forward those games will be exclusive to Xbox. COD can and will avoid PS in the future.

clarky

Gold Member
More than ever you'll need decent a pc as well as your platform of choice that or both systems this gen if you want all the bangers.
Unmissable stuff on both. GT7 and Starfield(hopefully) are worth the price of admission for me this year alone.

If your a playstation die hard, picking up a series s and loading up on cheap gamepass seems like a no brainer, you can pick one up for the cost of 3-4 playstation games at this point.

Vaelka

'' Existing agreements ''.
Basically, '' there's already agreements in place since before we bought them and we won't change that, afterwards tho.. ''.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

No doubt.

Look at Insomniac. Even thought they've skewed PS in their history, they still made Xbox and PC games, including recent PC VR games.

The second Sony buys them, even their PC support got cut off. It's 100% PS games going forward.

Aside from a handful of old PC ports lately (UC4 going back 6 years), Sony doesn't even do PC ports on a regular timely basis like MS either.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No doubt.

Look at Insomniac. Even thought they've skewed PS in their history, they still made Xbox and PC games, including recent PC VR games.

The second Sony buys them, even their PC support got cut off. It's 100% PS games going forward.

Aside from a handful of old PC ports lately (UC4 going back 6 years), Sony doesn't even do PC ports on a regular timely basis like MS either.
I game everywhere so exclusives do not matter to me BUT its always funny how when ones favorite console maker does it its great but when the other camp does it its the end of gaming as we know it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No doubt.

Insomniac is ... not a good example here.

Theyve been PS exclusive their whole existence minus 1 game (that flopped miserably).

And obviously MS has more to gain supporting PC than Sony does.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Insomniac is ... not a good example here.

Theyve been PS exclusive their whole existence minus 1 game (that flopped miserably).

And obviously MS has more to gain supporting PC than Sony does.
Not true at all. Look at their game history. No doubt their biggest hits are on PS, but they've made a lot more than people think. And as I said before, they immediately cut off their PC support which they've been doing for years (including PC VR).

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not true at all. Look at their game history. No doubt their biggest hits are on PS, but they've made a lot more than people think. And as I said before, they immediately cut off their PC support which they've been doing for years (including PC VR).

I have used Insomniac before in private conversations as well and people always say that very thing they have always been PS exclusive so its not the same

nevermind GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
I have used Insomniac before in private conversations as well and people always say that very thing they have always been PS exclusive so its not the same

nevermind GIF

I'd imagine if all of the people who think Insomniac was always PS exclusive knew that they made a game based on At the Mountains of Madness that WASN'T released on PS4, they'd be pretty mad.

Can you provide high level example with numbers to support your stance so others can have a better understanding?

This is false, and is the exact opposite of what actually happened (inorganic growth via acquisition). The money is used to pay Activision shareholders for transfer of ownership. For all intents and purposes, that money does disappear as it was used to make Activision/Blizzard a Microsoft company. Any investment for future projects will require additional money that has nothing to do with the $70 billion.
Sure. I have 400,000 and I buy a house for that amount. I didn't LOSE 400, 000 it was converted into an asset. Just because MS bought Activision doesn't mean that money was lost; they gained thousands of employees and tons of IP. The money was converted. That money will now benefit Xbox gamers.

Only Sony fans talk about inorganic growth. That is total nonsense. Sony built studios and so did Microsoft. Sony bought studios and MS also bought studios. The biggest difference is that Sony spent their money paying 3rd party developers to keep games, content, and features OFF the Xbox. MS purchased IP and development studios to ensure their customers had content. There are plenty of examples of MS owned IP hitting PlayStation not so much the other way. MS is making the bigger gaming investment and this latest acquisition is proof of their commitment.

There is already evidence that MS purchases have improved games; Psychonauts 2 is a fantastic example. It's all business at the end of the day. I hope Sony takes this as a opportunity to provide their customers with better value. It's undeniable that MS is offering that to their customers. Let's see Sony step it up.

S0ULZB0URNE

I too love shooters with awful controls and corridor levels!

for real Killzone is just Call of Duty in space with worse controls and framerate
Funny how many green rats are bothered by my opinion anyway.

Both had good controls, the 30fps was a issue for most fps games that generation but KZ2 did have added input lag.

Killzone is more than COD in space.

But Halo is nothing more than a slow motion Unreal Tournament wannabe with a story.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Funny how many green rats are bothered by my opinion anyway.

Both had good controls, the 30fps was a issue for most fps games that generation but KZ2 did have added input lag.

Killzone is more than COD in space.

But Halo is nothing more than a slow motion Unreal Tournament wannabe with a story.
"Green Rats" LOL this isn't a football game you tool.

Microsoft is working towards dominating the market. Part of such a strategy is to undercut and put competition out of business. Pulling content from Sony is the obvious solution, but it’s not an overnight move due to the install base and the massive losses it would incur for ms to cut off sales there.

No doubt it’s the end game, but it will be transitory - chipping away a bit at a time. Cannot see gamepass on ps. And streaming is just too amusing to even consider as a proposal.

Sony has time to do something, just as they did with the PS3 disaster. Question is, are they competent enough to do so. Watering down their brand by going pc multi-platform and sticking to cross gen seems to be the opposite of what should be happening at a time like this.
And Sony isnt working to dominate the market? Lol. They are a lot closer than Xbox.

Sony isnt an angel and Microsoft isnt the devil.

MrFunSocks

Banned
While this is true for KZ3, KZ2 on the other hand is one of the most unique MP that ever existed. It' especially a shame that Warzone mode hasn't been picked up by other devs, it's was so damn brilliant and amazing.
Warzone was brilliant in concept, but that other poster was right in that the controls were complete garbage and ruined the game. Killzone 2 had 200ms+ of input lag which is completely unacceptable.

COD is a big deal but let's not overstate things, only about 12% of PS4 owners play COD so while not totally insignificant it's far from the only thing people play on PlayStation. Yes they get money from microtransactions and game sales but it would be a terrible business move on Microsoft's part to make COD exclusive to one platform. They could use PlayStation players to partially subsidize gamepass on xbox. Once this deal is done when you add Activision/Blizzard employees to what was picked up with Bethesda the overall headcount at MS will be up by 10% that's a lot more paychecks going out and benefits paid monthly than they had in 2020. I have a series x but also haven't purchased a COD game in years and don't really plan to so there is no skin off of my back one way or the other.

Gamepass was already not making any money and that was before they spent nearly $80 billion picking up two publishers. If I were Spencer I'd make sure COD stayed multiplatform and brought in as much cash as I could from it, it's likely most people who paly COD on xbox are already GP subs so there is a limit to how many people are going to sign up for that service and there is no way they bring every COD player over from PlayStation, a decent number of people will just do without the game if it goes exclusive so let Sony fans pay full price, bring in tons of cash from them and let people in your ecosystem pay monthly, everybody wins.

FrankWza

But ps won't be the most popular platform for cod soon. Already ppl are buying an Xbox instead of a ps5 due to cod going exclusive to Xbox. It'll have a big impact
So, when people had a choice, they picked PlayStation. Now, people are buying xbox because they don’t have a choice if they want to play CoD? You should make commercials.

Um of course they are? Why would they blow $500 on a console that will be useless in a few years? There is a large audience that only plays cod every year. Those folks that are in the market for a new console are going with the Xbox Series

There's not even a new COD that's been announced yet, and an exclusive COD won't be here for another 2 - 3 years. The people you're talking about will be staying on last gen for a while still

Last edited:

Shmunter

Um of course they are? Why would they blow $500 on a console that will be useless in a few years? There is a large audience that only plays cod every year. Those folks that are in the market for a new console are going with the Xbox Series
There’s always the chance of gamepass coming to ps giving everything there. It seems illogical to subvert the Xbox hardware, but there is this obvious conflict between ms focus on services subscription vs closed hardware.

Difficult to answer, but does ms want to invest into another generation of hardware, sell it at a loss as part of the model - or just get gamepass everywhere with no risk.

Numbers are being crunched, let the chips fall where they may.

Top Bottom