• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

Shubh_C63

How many sales did halo infinite do on PS5? Didn’t see it on NPD. Since it’s all about revenue, even at the expense of brand growth and market share, surely it released on the PS4 and PS5 and the Switch, right? Likewise I’ll be able to buy Gran Turismo 7 on Xbox, right?
Uhh I think we're saying the same thing. As its all about revenue and brand growth, market share, telemetric data, usage pattern etc, MS will pull COD out of PS to be exclusive to their store. That's why Halo wasn't their because obviously.

Surely it would be better for Microsoft to grow there own installbase instead of somone elses.

Also I think the PS installbase will shrink because the PS5 has tougher competition.
That, is one thing I believe is not gonna happen. It will not shrink, but it will rise at a much slower pace.
They still got juggernaut exclusive IPs, less than MS now I think. and 6 years down the line every game playable in VR is a huge pull.

Peoples brand loyalty to Sony is no joke and has to be accounted for.

He doesn't say what the title says. He says they'll honor all existing agreement and DESIRE to keep Call of Duty on PS.

Spencer and MS have been clear in how that works. Gamepass ecosystem available on your platform. He's said that in a few interviews.
Yep. You want call of duty Sony? Allow gamepass, otherwise fuck off.

levyjl1988

Banned
PS users if you want to play Call of Duty on PS you gotta download and subscribe for GamePass on Playstation once it launches. LOL.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Uhh I think we're saying the same thing. As its all about revenue and brand growth, market share, telemetric data, usage pattern etc, MS will pull COD out of PS to be exclusive to their store. That's why Halo wasn't their because obviously.

That, is one thing I believe is not gonna happen. It will not shrink, but it will rise at a much slower pace.
They still got juggernaut exclusive IPs, less than MS now I think. and 6 years down the line every game playable in VR is a huge pull.

Sorry I read the first part as you saying that they'll squeeze every penny of revenue out of COD ie. have it on PS as well.

Brofist

People tend to follow herd mentality. If a few of their friends buy a PS system they'll do the same, mostly to be able to play together.

It wasn't long ago that Xbox was pretty much the console for shooter fans. Then the PS4 flipped that and for a gen plus PS has been the shooter system. That will change in an instant if the games aren't there though.

Fredrik

Spencer and MS have been clear in how that works. Gamepass ecosystem available on your platform. He's said that in a few interviews.
Clear?

Lol as far as I’m concerned they have only been clear one single time. When they announced Starfield as an exclusive, everything else they say can be misinterpreted with all these vague ”desire”, ”intent”, ”existing”, ”honor” words.

If they wanted to be clear they could outright say:
”All new Activision Blizzard and Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox and PC.”.

But have they said that? No. And this is why this thread and similar threads exists on every single gaming board right now. MS has not been clear at all.

The Alien

Banned
We've been through this 100 times now. His comment isn't what your title infers.

It means existing Call of Duty games won't be taken off PlayStation. We already figured that.
Right.

It can also mean COD will be exclusive and part of GamePass. When MS offers to put GamePass on PS5 and Sony says no, Phil can then say "Well, I tried. It was our desire but Sony said no."

Banned
That's OK. Sony can afford to leave money on the table. MS can't.

yes, the company that just bought one of the biggest gaming companies in a record breaking deal can not afford to.. *checks notes* leave money on the table... for 1 version out of 3 of one of the biggest games out there. which will also be playable on your fucking phone btw due to GamePass

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I... what? .... Just stop.

yes, the company that just bought one of the biggest gaming companies in a record breaking deal can not afford to.. *checks notes* leave money on the table... for 1 version out of 3 of one of the biggest games out there

the big bang theory sarcasm GIF

Mozza

Clear?

Lol as far as I’m concerned they have only been clear one single time. When they announced Starfield as an exclusive, everything else they say can be misinterpreted with all these vague ”desire”, ”intent”, ”existing”, ”honor” words.

”All new Activision Blizzard and Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox and PC.”.

But have they said that? No. And this is why this thread and similar threads exists on every single gaming board right now. MS has not been clear at all.
I think Microsoft have been pretty clear with their intentions, but when a buyout is first announced you get PR talk around the future of a publishers multi-format games, of course they will honor existing contractual agreements with certain titles, but on the whole they want to see the deal through and signed on the dotted line as it were, then when all that's done they announce everything will be exclusive, they did the dame with Zenimax and will continue to do so for this and all future acquisitions.

The main reason you see lots of threads is the fact some gamers do not want to face the fact they will lose franchises from their favorite console, and are clinging to any sort of statement by Microsoft that slightly suggests this will not happen, and of course all the time ignoring all the evidence that indicates otherwise.

As for Microsoft not being clear, I think 7 billion on Zenimax and now 70 billion for Activision etc is a pretty big statement of intent in my book. ;)

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
dude, we are in a post sarcasm society. every time you think something is meant to be sarcastic you have a high chance of being wrong lol
so, imo, your assessment of it being sarcasm needs to be confirmed first :pie_roffles:
I can confirm it was indeed sarcasm.

I love the thought that MS can't afford to leave out Sony consumers, or they will go broke.

Fredrik

I think Microsoft have been pretty clear with their intentions, but when a buyout is first announced you get PR talk around the future of a publishers multi-format games, of course they will honor existing contractual agreements with certain titles, but on the whole they want to see the deal through and signed on the dotted line as it were, then when all that's done they announce everything will be exclusive, they did the dame with Zenimax and will continue to do so for this and all future acquisitions.

The main reason you see lots of threads is the fact some gamers do not want to face the fact they will lose franchises from their favorite console, and are clinging to any sort of statement by Microsoft that slightly suggests this will not happen, and of course all the time ignoring all the evidence that indicates otherwise.

As for Microsoft not being clear, I think 7 billion on Zenimax and now 70 billion for Activision etc is a pretty big statement of intent in my book. ;)
If they can’t be clear for legal reasons then I don’t understand why they talk at all.

How often do you see Sony tweeting about honoring existing agreements and having a desire to keep games on Xbox and PC after they acquire a studio? Like Insomniac, Housemarque, Nixxes etc
Never, because it’s dumb.

People just want to get a clear message so they can plan ahead once the supply issues are over.
And because of these vague tweets, on every single board you now see Playstation fans thinking ”Seems like I don’t need to buy a Xbox after all, CoD will still exist on PS, phew!”.

What exactly is Microsoft gaining from that if their real intent is to make CoD exclusive in the future?

People will have already bought a PS5 by then. It would be so much easier to make PS4 fans Switch to XSX than trying to get those who has already invested in a next gen console to jump ship. I really don’t see many selling a PS5 to buy a XSX for CoD.

And if their intent is to keep CoD as a multiplat to keep making money like before then they need to stop talking about existing agreements.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If they can’t be clear for legal reasons then I don’t understand why they talk at all.

How often do you see Sony tweeting about honoring existing agreements and having a desire to keep games on Xbox and PC after they acquire a studio? Like Insomniac, Housemarque, Nixxes etc

People just want to get a clear message so they can plan ahead once the supply issues are over.
And because of these vague tweets, on every single board you now see Playstation fans thinking ”Seems like I don’t need to buy a Xbox after all, CoD will still exist on PS, phew!”.

What exactly is Microsoft gaining from that if their real intent is to make CoD exclusive in the future?

People will have already bought a PS5 by then. It would be so much easier to make PS4 fans Switch to XSX than trying to get those who has already invested in a next gen console to jump ship. I really don’t see many selling a PS5 to buy a XSX for CoD.

And if their intent is to keep CoD as a multiplat to keep making money like before then they need to stop talking about existing agreements.
Probably because the press doesn't stop hounding them about it, and after going through a antitrust case or 2 they know a vague answer is better than no answer.

At least now there is an official statement on record, and if the deals with Sony fall apart, it wasn't thier intent.

Last edited:

Mozza

Totally agree they should just come out an say

"We have just bought Activision/Blizzard for $70 billion and all their content is now a Microsoft exclusive"

Or perhaps they do not need to say it as it's pretty obvious to me.

Kagey K

Banned

"We have just bought Activision/Blizzard for $70 billion and all their content is now a Microsoft exclusive"

Doesn't every company have to publicly state this when they buy someone?

Or is it naturally assumed for everyone except MS? Who get grilled non stop about it?

Fredrik

Probably because the press doesn't stop hounding them about it, and after going through a antitrust case or 2 they know a vague answer is better than no answer.

At least now there is an official statement on record, and if the deals with Sony fall apart, it wasn't thier intent.
Where does the anti-trust talk come from? They bought a publisher with a big game. So what? I heard they’ll still only be #3 biggest publisher afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

Kagey K

Banned
Where does the anti-trust talk come from? They bought a publisher with a big game. So what? I heard they’ll still only be #3 biggest publisher afterwards. 🤷‍♂️
I'm going to assume you haven't been in most other threads on this subject.

Monopoly has been tossed out more often than an 80 year old hooker round here.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

They literally are not allowed to say that. Legally they cannot. All their statements have been vague for that reason exactly.

Same thing happened with Zenimax.

And no, Starfield isn’t the only one - redfall is Xbox exclusive, outer worlds 2 is exclusive, Elser scrolls 6 is exclusive. That’s every single announced game they have that wasn’t already contracted to PS5. All exclusive to Xbox. You guys are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with purple.

Fredrik

Yeah, honestly that’s what I think everyone want to hear, no matter where they stand. Phil think he’s helping anyone by trying to soften the blow while talking in riddles but the only thing it’ll lead to is more outrage later when CoD fans find out they have invested in the wrong console.

Nothing is obvious to me. It depends what they’re trying to do. Phil has said that he don’t like exclusives and console war, and they would no doubt keep making more money from CoD if they kept it as a multiplat. Making CoD exclusive and ramp up console war is out of character.

There are other games too that neither people or MS are talking about.
What are they doing with Diablo? Will Diablo 4 be Xbox and PC exclusive?
Will they do something in the console space with Warcraft and Starcraft?
What about Overwatch? Overwatch 2, Xbox and PC exclusive?

Fredrik

They literally are not allowed to say that. Legally they cannot. All their statements have been vague for that reason exactly.
Then, why talk at all?
Have we ever seen Sony talking about honoring existing agreements?
They just go: ”- Hey guys, we bought this studio. Kthxbye.”

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Then, why talk at all?
I don't think Sony has bought a publicly traded company where they are legally required to share that info.

They have only bought small private ownerships.

The one time they tried to buy a public company Tencent outbid them.

The legal requirements are very different for a private company to sell than a publically traded one.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't think Sony has bought a publicly traded company where they are legally required to share that info.

They have only bought small private ownerships.

The one time they tried to buy a public company Tencent outbid them.

The legal requirements are very different for a private company to sell than a publically traded one.
Ah okay that makes sense

kuncol02

Banned
Clear?

Because that's not true. In case of Bethesda they had unannounced Quake remake that landed on every gaming device it could.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Then, why talk at all?
Sony have never bought a publicly traded publisher. There’s no rules like that around just buying a private company.

Last edited:

Goalus

"good calls"
"desire to keep"
"intent to honor"
"value our relationship"

That is the vocabulary of a saint.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Cod will be day 1 on gamepass eventually. People forget that sony paid capcom to prevent a day 1 release of resident evil. Id be willing to bet part of the deal sony has with activision also blocks day 1 on gamepass.

This thread is typical. Spencer says we intend to honor previous agreements and our intention is cod stays on playstation. Then you have all the armchair analysts saying "no cod will be exclusive, look at starfield" as if that is valid proof (its not btw). Starfield has yet to make a penny and sony tried to buy its exclusivity. It doesnt have an known audience on playstation like cod does.

Like seriously lets take him at his word for once. Stop trying to read between the lines. If he wanted he wouldn't have to answer any of these questions until the deal closes. He has gone out of his way to assure people (even mention a meeting with sony heads he didn't have to tell us about!). Cod is one or two games but really they want other studios to release gamepass titles with some being exclusive. That's what is really behind all this.

Last edited:

The sheer size of this aquisition, and the controversy it's stired up means all eyes from regulatories are on this now. It doesn't help that it's from a tech giant which are already under scrutiny right now. It'll probably go through but it there will be a lot of fighting for it.

Mozza

Doesn't every company have to publicly state this when they buy someone?

Or is it naturally assumed for everyone except MS? Who get grilled non stop about it?
Not really, up to them if they want to wait until everything is final, would prefer them to say nothing until then though.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

While I certainly think the PS5 will be a success, and you raise good points for why, the PS5s installbase wont be as high because more people will have Xbox's this generation. And the console market will shrink in general because of the growing PC, Cloud and switch installbases.

Leyasu

Banned
This wouldn’t even be a discussion if Sony had purchased acti/blizzard. Even if Jim had made the same vague statement, it would already be an accepted conclusion that after the current contracts had been honoured, everything would be PlayStation exclusive. Phil knows this.

I honestly think that we won’t know the full details until late 2023 or early 24. Until then, this will go round and round.

Fredrik

This wouldn’t even be a discussion if Sony had purchased acti/blizzard. Even if Jim had made the same vague statement, it would already be an accepted conclusion that after the current contracts had been honoured, everything would be PlayStation exclusive. Phil knows this.

I honestly think that we won’t know the full details until late 2023 or early 24. Until then, this will go round and round.
Lol yeah imagine Jim Ryan tweeting that his desire is for Final Fantasy to be kept on Xbox if they bought Square Enix. We all know that he wouldn’t even bother mentioning Xbox, might possibly say ”our competition” but he wouldn’t for a second try to soften the blow.

Leyasu

Banned
Lol yeah imagine Jim Ryan tweeting that his desire is for Final Fantasy to be kept on Xbox if they bought Square Enix. We all know that he wouldn’t even bother mentioning Xbox, might possibly say ”our competition” but he wouldn’t for a second try to soften the blow.
Just another reason why I am not as confident as some that cod or any other acti/blizzard I.P has a long term future on PlayStation. Except for warzone of course

Not because of console wars, but because the strategy is the same. Corral as many people as possible into your ecosystem

Last edited:
Top Bottom